daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #321
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

I think one of the issues that makes naming tram or streetcar cities is that the lines are becoming blurred.

In the US many cities have built LRT systems which may not serve the same purpose being more oriented towards rapid transit than local service they are exactly the same technology. Dallas certainly doesn't have a very dense urban environment but has the largest "tram" network in the US....DART.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #322
Minato ku

Paris tram network
223.17 million passengers in 2014.
This number does not includes the T4 operated by the SNCF, this line has a bit under 10 million passengers but I don't have the exact figure.
Two tram lines (T6 and T8) opened in December 2014, so I expect a significant increase of ridership in 2015.

Network size
103.8 km
181 stations
8 lines
900,000 passengers per weekday in 2015

_Night City Dream_, historyworks liked this post

Last edited by Minato ku; October 11th, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #323
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Wow that's impressive ridership... What's the ridership of the other France tram systems?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #324
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1495

Less or more 300,000 passengers per weekday in 2015 (ca. 80 millions annual) in : Strasbourg, Nantes, Lyon, Bordeaux, Montpellier (each)
Lyon has also subway (700,000 pass./weekday)
220,000 pass./weekday in Grenoble
Between 120,000 and 40,000 in others cities

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problčmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous ętes une partie du problčme".

Last edited by nanar; October 11th, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #325
Fallout
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Likes (Received): 1350

Acccording to the data from wikipedia: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramwa...9Bl%C4%85skiej tram network in Upper Silesian metro area has 181 km system length with 340 km total track length, 34 lines and had transported ca. 100 million passengers in 2011.

I can't find data about other Polish cities, but Krakow network is 97 km long and Lodz has 291 km of total track, which suggest network length of 100-150 km. Compared to Warsaw's system lengh and passengers number, annual passengers numbers in both cities could be over 100 million.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
― Hermann Göring

The monster never dies, no matter how many times you kill it. It just sheds its skin and changes form.
― William J. Blazkowicz
Fallout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #326
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Acccording to the data from wikipedia: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramwa...9Bl%C4%85skiej tram network in Upper Silesian metro area has 181 km system length with 340 km total track length, 34 lines and had transported ca. 100 million passengers in 2011.

I can't find data about other Polish cities, but Krakow network is 97 km long and Lodz has 291 km of total track, which suggest network length of 100-150 km. Compared to Warsaw's system lengh and passengers number, annual passengers numbers in both cities could be over 100 million.
Warsaw is one of the world's top tram systems - about 270 million passengers per year.

I would certainly be interested to know figures for other Polish cities.
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #327
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

UITP has issued a statistics brief for "light rail", which means they include both streetcar/tram systems, stadtbahn/light rail systems and those which blend the two:

http://www.uitp.org/sites/default/fi...20rail-Web.pdf

My own list focuses on streetcars but of course it is often difficult to separate the two because many lines are a combination of both.

The list in this publication has some wrong or out of date figures but only by small margins generally. The cities in their list are generally over 200 million ppa, but there are some strong performing smaller systems that have a big output over smaller kilometres, such as Istanbul, Tokyo, Sarajevo, Jerusalem and Brno.

The differences with my own list compared to their "top ten" in patronage are (first figure is UITP data, second is mine):

1. Budapest 396 / 393 million ppa [probably just slightly different years' data]

2. Vienna 363 / 240 [UITP obviously includes "light rail" like the Badner Bahn but does this explain such a huge difference; are they including some pre-metro line as "light rail"?]

3. Bucharest 322 / not in my data [have I missed something? have they included pre-metro?]

4. Prague 317 / 333 [they have used older data]

5. St Petersburg 312 / 476 [I got figures from official Russian data so where is their figure from, that is a big difference?]

6. Warsaw 264 / 270 [I think they have older data]

7. Moscow 252 / 251

8. Cologne 210 / not in my data [is this purely stadtbahn?]

9. Zurich 205 / 205

10. Zagreb 204 / 214

Obviously they have missed Paris (233) but maybe they don't see it as a "system" since it is separate lines?

Hong Kong (tram and light rail) is a difficult one. Probably over 200 million but their public data is for weekdays only so it's impossible to make an annual calculation. One has to be wary of quoted "daily ridership" because it's often only weekdays and it's not possible to simply multiply by 365.

Any help from you guys who know the above individual cities would be greatly appreciated - especially explanation of the discrepancies and whether some of the systems would be described as light rail/stadtbahn and some streetcar.
Old November 9th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #328
Minato ku

Maybe they used older data.
Paris tram network had less than 200 million before 2014.

About Hong Kong, you can make an approximation using the data on the link.
You have the number of thousands passengers per km
MTR Light Rail: 4,813 36.2 km 174.2 million
Hong Kong tram: 2,475 30 km 74.2 million

historyworks liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #329
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5950

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
2. Vienna 363 / 240 [UITP obviously includes "light rail" like the Badner Bahn but does this explain such a huge difference; are they including some pre-metro line as "light rail"?]
I seriously doubt that the Badner Bahn explains the difference, as it had a ridership of 12 Mio in 2014. I would not know how you could differentiate for pre-metro, ie U-Straba as these are only parts of certain, for their largest part regular, tram lines and no separate lines.
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #330
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I seriously doubt that the Badner Bahn explains the difference, as it had a ridership of 12 Mio in 2014. I would not know how you could differentiate for pre-metro, ie U-Straba as these are only parts of certain, for their largest part regular, tram lines and no separate lines.
I agree with you. Every figure I've seen for Vienna is the smaller one. Only UITP has come up with this huge figure. I can't imagine where they got it from.
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #331
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

I decided to do an update on my list with new information and after checking UITP information, some of which appears to be incorrect.

This is my list of top 25 systems in patronage (ridership). I have included light rail with tram/streetcar because the two are often blended in the one system, other systems are either one or the other and these are noted. Light rail I define as grade-separated tramway, that is with the characteristics of a railway but operated by trams.

Quote:
1. St Petersburg: tram 476 mill pass p.a., 205 route km.

2. Budapest: tram 396 mill pass p.a., 156 route km.

3. Prague: tram and light rail 333 mill pass p.a., 142 route km.

4. Bucharest: tram and light rail 322 mill pass p.a., 145 route km.

5. Vienna: tram and light rail 294 mill pass p.a., 177 route km.

6. Warsaw: tram 270 mill pass p.a., 120 route km.

7. Moscow: tram 252 mill pass p.a., 163 route km.

8. Paris: tram 233 mill pass p.a., 104 route km.
Note: Paris tram figure includes Translohr rubber-tyred guided vehicle

9. Zagreb: tram 214 mill pass p.a., 148 route km.

10. Cologne: light rail 210 mill pass p.a. 195 route km.

11. Hong Kong: tram and light rail 206 mill pass p.a. (estimated), 49 route km.

12. Zurich: tram 205 mill pass p.a., 126 route km.

13. Brno: tram 188 mill pass p.a., 139 route km.

14. Yekaterinburg: tram 180 mill pass p.a., 180 route km.

15. Melbourne: tram 177 mill pass p.a., 250 route km.

16. Berlin: tram 173 mill pass p.a., 192 route km.

17. Stuttgart: light rail 170 mill pass p.a., 192 route km.

18. Dresden: tram 145 mill pass p.a., 134 route km.

19. Istanbul: tram 140 mill pass p.a.

20. Gothenburg: tram 140 mill pass p.a., 144 route km.

21. Leipzig: tram 134 mill pass p.a., 148 route km.

22. Amsterdam: tram 130 mill pass p.a., 138 route km.

23. Brussels: tram 123 mill pass p.a., 139 route km.

24. Toronto: tram 105 mill pass p.a., 150 route km.

25. Munich: tram 105 mill pass p.a., 79 route km.
Old November 12th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #332
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:

1. St Petersburg: tram 476 mill pass p.a., 205 route km.
in 2013 transport companies transported 1.8 billion Petersburg passengers. Of these, 18% by urban electric transport trams and trolleybuses - is 324 million.

subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #333
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbotazh View Post
in 2013 transport companies transported 1.8 billion Petersburg passengers. Of these, 18% by urban electric transport trams and trolleybuses - is 324 million.
Thank you so much for that, I have been living with an old statistic waiting for somebody to update me!

So UITP says 312 million for trams. In that case it would only be 12 million for trolleybuses which doesn't sound right???
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #334
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Thank you so much for that, I have been living with an old statistic waiting for somebody to update me!

So UITP says 312 million for trams. In that case it would only be 12 million for trolleybuses which doesn't sound right???
I think the number of passengers that carry the same trams and trolleybuses

subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote