daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #61
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

When people state single track, does that mean if there's one track going in each direction, they are both counted even though it's the same route? Regardless, it sounds like a big system you've got there in Sofia.

Here's some more Toronto streetcar info I found:

There are 11 routes concentrated in the downtown core. The TTC operate 248 streetcars, but will be phasing them out in favour of 204 new and larger LRVs. The current model has capacity of 65 people. There are some articulated versions that hold 100. Unlike newer light rail transit (LRT) systems, most of Toronto's streetcar routes operate in the classic style on street trackage shared with car traffic, and streetcars stop on demand at frequent stops like buses rather than having fixed stations. There are 1347 coded stops so far. I couldn't find data on the final tally since the process was ongoing when the article was printed.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...o-get-off.aspx

Last edited by isaidso; August 7th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #62
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 966

Amsterdam

-236 trams (most have a capacity of 180 people, the older ones can transport 144)
-25 light rail trams (which can each transport 254 people)
-2 depots (for normal trams only)
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #63
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I love this new Luas system, the trams are class.

There's two lines in Dublin isn't there? I remember reading that they don't connect though, so you have to walk from the end of one line to the beginning of the next one. Is that true?
Yes, there are two lines and no transfer point (see map). The network is 25 km long, not 20!
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #64
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuppeltje View Post
Amsterdam

-236 trams (most have a capacity of 180 people, the older ones can transport 144)
Looks like your trams are much bigger than the ones that ply Toronto streets.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #65
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Amsterdam

Capacity depends on standard of calculation you take: for standing passengers it can vary from 4 pax/ sq m (quite light) through 6 (for me probable max) to 8 (rather impossible, imagine 8 people in a phone booth or so). So the mode of calculation can add 100 places to a tram or railcar without stretching it
WotaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #66
Wuppeltje

Well I took the official capacity numbers that are given by the transport companies. The most comon tram used is almost 30m long (5 parts) and 2,4m wide. It has 60 seats. But if you only take the walking corridor which would be around 25m long and 1m wide on average, than we are talking about 5 people/ sq m.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #67
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
My point is that if you count it in this way it hardly adds anything to the track length, and in case of Amsterdam, and probably more cities it says even less.

Further of all it doesn't seems to be clear either, because I see already several people giving the total line length for each line from A to B and back, which says far more to compare it to my opinion.
Say's far more? How does how many tracks make a difference in distance for when you travel? It's like measuring road distances by how many lanes. Tracks (like lanes in a road) is an important measure for frequencies and congestion, however it has no effect on network lengths.

Besides, why mention this "there and back" thing. Not everyone goes back exactly the same way they travelled earlier. They may take a different route to their next destination.

At the end of the day, either everyone measures in route length or track length. Route length would give a realistic measurement of how big the network is for passenger movement. Give me one advantage of track length over route length for the general public in measuring networks.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #68
Wuppeltje

Line 4 in Amsterdam has the shortest route in Amsterdam with 6,1 km. It is a fully double track line (so 12,2 km track), although there is 1 hard point where they have to wait for each other.

Sections
1: On the first section not only line 4 is running, but also lines 9, 16, 24 and 25.
2: line 14 joins (during the day 34 trams are running on this section)
3: line 16, 24 and 25 leaving
4: only line 4 is running
5: line 25 back on the line.
6: only line 4 again.

So this route would be 6,1km. If I want to add lines 9, 14, 16, 24 and 25 to the total route length, I don't add these sections. Sections 1 and 2 are very important with about 30 trams per hour, which his higher than most subway systems. Both route and total track are hardly saying anything, except that they can never run on a single track. If you want to compare Amsterdam more with other cities it is better to count the total line length from A to B and back to A for each line. This to give a better comparison with single track systems and with systems that are running with 1-2 lines on 1 track max.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #69
vidya

Likes (Received): 11

what a wonderful pics
but I am sure India can never come up with such infrastructure.......
bad luck .. INDIANS
vidya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #70
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya View Post
what a wonderful pics
bad luck .. INDIANS
New Delhi Metro?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #71
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya View Post
what a wonderful pics
bad luck .. INDIANS
Excuse me...??? Are you sure you got your tense correct here??

Trams were never in serious contention as a model of transport because of many reasons. Large no of two-wheelers were one reason...their narrow wheels were very often getting caught in the grooves of the rails. Look at Calcutta for an example.

Local trains and metros have become the preferred option now.
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #72
Wuppeltje

A tram is more for something between a bus and a metro. In India I see more future in large subway systems.
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #73
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
No, the route length is the passenger travel length between A & B of a single line (regardless of number of tracks), If another say from C to D uses a portion of A & B's line, that shared portion is only counted once.
The route length is the length of the route A-B plus the route C-D.

The track length is the length of A-B, plus C-D, minus the shared portions.

The track length is more useful. Just like Geneva's network:

http://www.tpg.ch/_zoomify/tpg_plan_ligne_tram.pdf (PDF)

Every branch of this network has at least two lines, sometimes three, so the route length is more than the double of track length!

Circular routes with two number must be counted as one (like 29/30 in Milan: 29 anticlockwise, 30 clockwise).

(the shortest network are the ones of Tacoma, or Sevilla, about 1.6 km/1 mile with three or four vehicles only)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #74
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Say's far more? How does how many tracks make a difference in distance for when you travel? It's like measuring road distances by how many lanes. Tracks (like lanes in a road) is an important measure for frequencies and congestion, however it has no effect on network lengths.

Besides, why mention this "there and back" thing. Not everyone goes back exactly the same way they travelled earlier. They may take a different route to their next destination.

At the end of the day, either everyone measures in route length or track length. Route length would give a realistic measurement of how big the network is for passenger movement. Give me one advantage of track length over route length for the general public in measuring networks.
It is irrelevant whether there is no advantage in track length. We have to compare networks by many measures as long as the data base is so inconsistent as it is at the moment.

A tram network can be measured by three different length. The length of tracks, of route and the sum of each operated line. All of these length say something about a tram network. And help to figure out which city has the most extensive network. However, these three different length must not be confused. Something that already happened in this thread. So if you have a length of a tram network, please tell us what specific item has been measured.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #75
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Interesting thread. Lost my bag on tuesday in the tram in Amsterdam
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #76
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The route length is the length of the route A-B plus the route C-D.
and only counting one portion of any shared routes.

Quote:
The track length is the length of A-B, plus C-D, minus the shared portions.
No, Track length is the length of each track. So it makes no difference if 3 lines use two tracks, that length will only be counted once anyway (once for each track that is)

Quote:
The track length is more useful. Just like Geneva's network:
It seems like you are confusing route length and track length, as your description of track length more closely follows route length. In that case, you are correct. However, what you write is wrong.

Quote:
Every branch of this network has at least two lines, sometimes three, so the route length is more than the double of track length!
See above, you are confusing the definitions.
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #77
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It is irrelevant whether there is no advantage in track length. We have to compare networks by many measures as long as the data base is so inconsistent as it is at the moment.
Actually, it is not irrelevant. One should always in this case compare the most logical definition. If Track length has less advantages than route length, then obviously it is illogical to use this method and what method we use is thus relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
A tram network can be measured by three different length. The length of tracks, of route and the sum of each operated line. All of these length say something about a tram network. And help to figure out which city has the most extensive network. However, these three different length must not be confused. Something that already happened in this thread. So if you have a length of a tram network, please tell us what specific item has been measured.
I have not heard of this third method you mentioned, but am interested. By sum of each line, what exactly do you mean?
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #78
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

What about Moscow tram network? I heard some number of 400+ km...

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #79
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6984

^
2008 data
263,3 mln. passengers
886 cars
432,5 km
41 routes
http://mos.ru/?documentId=110737
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #80
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

I dont know the length of Oslo tram network, but its quite big for just a city with 500 000.

image hosted on flickr

There is also metro, which is marked as (T) on that map.
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote