daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM   #121
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

Thats not a complete map of Vienna's PT network, it shows however roughly 80% of Vienna's tram network. Have a look therefore at the thin red lines. (thin blue lines are buses and the thick lines U-Bahn and S-Bahn)

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #122
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

This moscow lines were connected in many places during the tram existense in Moscow but they were split up by cutting tram lines they aren't connected many years already.

I have done many cities tram lines in Google earth if anyone wants I can put here KMZ and KML files mines and you cans see them in your google earth

I have done whole moscow lines beegining to the end those closed ones too you will be impressed sop many lines are closed.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #123
iambic peremeter

Likes (Received): 0

ya ya das ist fantastishe
iambic peremeter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #124
iambic peremeter

Likes (Received): 0

Dublin has the smallest tram network in the polish- speaking world
iambic peremeter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #125
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1223

Vienna Tramway Network

one of the biggest worldwide...

Vienna Public Transport Thread

Austrian Subforum
stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #126
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

Alexandria, Melbourne, Buenos Aires & Tashkent has the largest tram network respectively in Africa, Oceania, South America & Asia.

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; February 1st, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #127
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^To add to that list I am pretty sure Toronto has the largest tram network in North America.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #128
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

St. Petersburg has the largest tram network of Europe. Am I right? If I'm wrong please write the right answer.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM   #129
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
St. Petersburg has the largest tram network of Europe. Am I right? If I'm wrong please write the right answer.
I think it is nowadays very difficult to say, as there are major closures "for renovation" which aren't probably scheduled to finish at all.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #130
lux

Likes (Received): 34

A nice tram network map of Milan

[IMG]http://i44.************/30mslyq.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by lux; March 29th, 2009 at 01:54 AM.
lux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #131
lux

And one of Zagreb tram network witch is 116 km long. Not very big, but the biggest in Ex Yugoslavia .

[IMG]http://i39.************/30bpg12.gif[/IMG]
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #132
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Justme has done a great job of trying to explain the difference between "route length" and "track length", but from what I have just read in this thread, the message hasn't got through: perhaps because some people aren't native English speakers.

Since this thread is being conducted in English, I feel we ought to stick to English meanings.

1. Route Length.

Forget about trams for a moment, think about railways. If it's 1000 km from Melbourne to Sydney, or from Paris to Warsaw, then in each case the route length is 1000 km. Actually the distance- by road- from Melbourne to Sydney is 867 km, so the route length is 867 km. It's as simple as that: it's the distance from the start to the end. I don't know how far it is from Paris to Warsaw, but it looks to be roughly a thousand km.

2. Track Length

OK, let's think about Melbourne-Sydney again. If it was double track all the way, it would be 867 x 2 = 1734 km (plus the sidings). Actually it isn't double track all the way, so it will be less than that, unless there's an awful lot of sidings. The same would apply between Warsaw and Paris, except I'm sure it's all double track (or better).

3. "Run Length"

Now before we get back to trams, let's go back to Paris. We build a branch- from Hannover to Copenhagen! Hannover is (for the purposes of this exercise) 500 km from Paris, midway between Paris and Warsaw on our line. The line to Copenhagen from Hanover is 400 km long, but because we are running out of Euros and on account of the financial crisis, it will be only single-track (from Hanover). The trains will run from Paris.

OK, so what is the length of this system?

1. Route length:

Paris to Warsaw + Hannover to Copenhagen: 1000 + 400 = 1400 km

2. Track length:

Paris to Warsaw x 2 (because it's double track) (2000) + Hannover- Copenhagen (400) = 2400 km.

3. "Run length":

Paris- Warsaw (1000) + Paris- Copenhagen (500+400= 900) = 1900.

Now, I've made up the expression "run length" because it looks like some of you are confusing it with "route length". I can see why this has happened: English words often have several meanings, but take it from me, the route length of the system I've just described is 1400km, not 1900 km.

I hope this helps.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM   #133
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

So ... returning to trams ...

I wonder Lux (2 postings back) what that 116 km in Zagreb refers to, since your diagrams seems to show tracks, rather than routes.

Here's the Melbourne CBD tram-map (now outdated, there are extra routes on the left and some have been re-routed on the right):

This is a schematic map (not to scale), but you'll notice the purple route along Swanston Street is labelled 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 16, 22, 64, 67, 72.

Ten different routes use this line, and as you might guess, its double tracked, or in places triple-tracked to make this work:

Allegedly this is the busiest tram-route in the world:

But it still only counts as 1 km or so of route, and 2 km or so of track.

The rest of the network: (the map is old and there have been additions, six in fact, amounting to about 7 route-km, but it indicates the way the system works more clearly than currently available maps). Some of the routes have also been merged to promote better traffic-flow.

As I understand it, this is currently the third largest after St. Petersberg & Milano with 245 route kilometres (not run kilometres, which would be far greater) of line.
Note we show no tracks here: most are double, some single, some triple. Compare with Zagreb map.

Vintage "W Class" trams at Docklands- not on the map and all new since the map above. You can see these trams in Seattle too!

The other end of their route: St. Vincent's Plaza, where the blue and red routes cross.

Last edited by Yardmaster; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #134
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post

3. "Run length":

Paris- Warsaw (1000) + Paris- Copenhagen (500+400= 900) = 1900.

Now, I've made up the expression "run length" because it looks like some of you are confusing it with "route length". I can see why this has happened: English words often have several meanings, but take it from me, the route length of the system I've just described is 1400km, not 1900 km.

I hope this helps.
I think this could be more easily understood as line length, meaning Line A connecting Paris to Warsaw and Line B Paris - Copenhagen. But "run length" is also OK with me
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #135
lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
So ... returning to trams ...

I wonder Lux (2 postings back) what that 116 km in Zagreb refers to, since your diagrams seems to show tracks, rather than routes.

Note we show no tracks here: most are double, some single, some triple. Compare with Zagreb map.
My intention was not to compare Zagreb network with Milan or Melbourne. I just wanted to show it to the forumers. It's not very big, but one of the biggest in the region, as I said. There are 15 tram lines, and sistem is nice and modern.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #136
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotaN View Post
I think this could be more easily understood as line length, meaning Line A connecting Paris to Warsaw and Line B Paris - Copenhagen. But "run length" is also OK with me
It's certainly what I'd think of as "line length", since the lines are shared (in this hypothetical example) from Paris to Hannover.

Lux, I wasn't having a go at you: just pointing out the different style of mapping employed in your Zagreb map vs. my map above, which maybe suggests that different things are being added up.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #137
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Here's Moscow tram network red ones are existing and black ones that were moscow tram history during 1899-2009 some lines in center are missing and also some are mistaken then I'll put updated map.
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #138
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

Moscow has only fraction of tram lines from "glorious days"

they should reverse this wrong trend!! :-(
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #139
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

well yes but this fraction is 400 km long you know not short hahah but imagine all this line in service now imagine how long it would be super
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #140
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

It's sad that Russia's two biggest cities are tearing up their tram networks, just as other cities around the world rush to lay more tracks.

Hopefully Moscow and St. Petersburg will at least replace the routes with metro lines or something, rather than buses like a lot of cities did in the 1950's and 1960's.