daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: OLD WTC VS. NEW WTC: WHICH DO YOU PREFER
old. The twin towers were classic and symbolic. 74 54.01%
please, those monstosities shouldn't have been built. The Freedom Tower is a breath of fresh air 45 32.85%
They're both hideous; back to the drawing board! 18 13.14%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #21
kazetuner
Perito Mercantil XD

Likes (Received): 38

the old one, all the way

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

You should have respect for the towers. In the time the towers were build (the seventies) the design was revolutionairy. But as times goes by, architecture evolves in what we know now.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #23
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
new wtc.old ones was very very ugly and boxy.
well it was the 70's that was the style bevieve me there were some pretty ugly buildings made in the 70's the wtc was not one of them

i can never choose between bouth the new wtc complex and the old one i love them both
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #24
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

In all honesty, the old WTC was revolting, in my opinion. The new WTC is nice, but the Freedom Tower is hideous.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #25
Dequal
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMD View Post
In all honesty, the old WTC was revolting, in my opinion. The new WTC is nice, but the Freedom Tower is hideous.
Exactly.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #26
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

the old ones were the second most classic skyscraper ever.

they cannot be replaced by a complex of 3 generic super talls.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #27
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

new wtc will be claassic in future.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #28
Dequal
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
new wtc will be claassic in future.
I don't think so. The old WTC was innovating and revolting. The new WTC isn't...
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #29
krzewi
Zjadam dzieci, polecam !

Likes (Received): 512

Twin Towers Rulez
krzewi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #30
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

the new ones stink, honestly skyscrapers look so much alike today it makes me sick.
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #31
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMD View Post
just wondering what makes the freedom tower so ugly i really dont see it being ugly i mean its no wtc but its not ugly i think all 4 buildings on the complex are nice looking and will give the skyline a new look but nothing will ever be as amazing as the twins were
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #32
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
just wondering what makes the freedom tower so ugly i really dont see it being ugly i mean its no wtc but its not ugly i think all 4 buildings on the complex are nice looking and will give the skyline a new look but nothing will ever be as amazing as the twins were
My problem with the freedom tower is the base, the tower looks like it has been put on top and there is little relation between them, it just doesn't fit. I also dislike WTC 2, Foster has designed a tower that i do not think works well in the context of New York, it is too bulky, a weird shape and would work better as a landmark tower in a smaller city.

The old WTC was defined by it's simplicity, simple and elegant structures that provided an iconic landmark for lower manhattan, the new WTC is fussy, it doesn't have the same simplicity and it's iconic status is assured but not neccessarily deserved.

Having said that, it is a high quality development that will at the very least bring some tall buildings back to lower manhattan, so it's not all bad.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM   #33
iDRAFT

Likes (Received): 1

New WTC by far. For something to serve as a monument to America's dominance over world finance, they could have designed something a little more creative with the originals...seriously, I could design them with a couple legos. The last thing NYC needs is more boring rectangles, the new WTC, I hope will help usher in a new fresh feel to NYC and inspire the city to allow more modern skyscrapers to be built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
the new ones stink, honestly skyscrapers look so much alike today it makes me sick.
Thats ironic, you're disgusted by how alike skyscrapers look today but you liked the Twin Towers which were the exact same building except one had a spire.

Last edited by iDRAFT; August 22nd, 2008 at 07:46 AM.
iDRAFT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM   #34
dfrench8456
A Beast A Problem

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDRAFT View Post
New WTC by far. For something to serve as a monument to America's dominance over world finance, they could have deigned something a little more creative with the originals...seriously, I could design them with a couple legos. The last thing NYC needs is more boring rectangles, the new WTC, I hope will help usher in a new fresh feel to NYC and inspire the city to allow more modern skyscrapers to be built.

Thats ironic, you're disgusted by how alike skyscrapers look today but you liked the Twin Towers which were the exact same buidling except one had a spire.

Lol couldnt agree with you more.
dfrench8456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM   #35
np93
np93

Old WTC. People in New York grew to a city with 2 towers. When the twin towers were built in 1966-1972, they were built with a plain design that New York's community grew to love. They may have not been the best looking buildings but they were still the building that represented New York. They were built with structural strength in mind while supports at the outside edges of the building, and the center of the building held it up. One of the reasons the towers collapsed was because the outside edges did most of the supporting. When the fuel equipped planes hit the buildings, it sent flaming jet fuel up the elevators shafts, one of the strongest supports in the buildings. The South Tower (WTC2) Collapsed because of a molten steal support at the corner edge of the building. The North Tower Collapsed just because of the planes impact and added bombs to the B2-B4 levels in the basements. In conclusion, New York grew to vibrant city with 2 plain towers that everyone loved. New York's skyline will never be the same again.
np93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #36
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

I prefer the new WTC2-4 over both the old WTC and that Freedom Tower thing.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM   #37
I-10east

Likes (Received): 22

Old ones were simple, imposing, and iconic in stature; The new ones makes me wanna throw-up!!!!
I-10east no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM   #38
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDRAFT View Post
New WTC by far. For something to serve as a monument to America's dominance over world finance, they could have designed something a little more creative with the originals...seriously, I could design them with a couple legos. The last thing NYC needs is more boring rectangles, the new WTC, I hope will help usher in a new fresh feel to NYC and inspire the city to allow more modern skyscrapers to be built.

Thats ironic, you're disgusted by how alike skyscrapers look today but you liked the Twin Towers which were the exact same building except one had a spire.
c'mon guys!! this is a matter of opinion. nothing more. by the way, i'll take the new 1's....
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #39
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Whether we like old WTC or not its gone and we've to deal with it they'll be memorial fountain for the exact location of where they stood, and I'm so relieved no skyscraper will be on top of those 2 spots. Many who preferred old WTC have to get used to the view of NYC with the new 4 towers.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #40
coexist

The new WTC complex is light years better than the Twin Towers.

Before 1993, the Twin Towers were widely disliked by New Yorkers, and that was only changed by two terrorist attacks (in 1993 and 2001, of course). Take the nostalgia out of it, and this is a significant upgrade.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote