daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: OLD WTC VS. NEW WTC: WHICH DO YOU PREFER
old. The twin towers were classic and symbolic. 74 54.01%
please, those monstosities shouldn't have been built. The Freedom Tower is a breath of fresh air 45 32.85%
They're both hideous; back to the drawing board! 18 13.14%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #61
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

i liked the old WTC but as the poll says, the new WTC will be a breath of fresh air
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #62
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

Twin towers of course! FF is not nearly as impressive as twin towers were....
Twins were a symbol of America, NY. Can FF become a such symbol? I really doubt that. FF is just a ordinary glass tower, asians and middle easterns are building hundreds of such towers nowadays. Pretty? Yes. But not worth remembering.
ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #63
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

Of course, two twin towers are impressive. But as a development, five towers are better than one, with one larger tower.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #64
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

My favorite part of the original WTC was the superblock. Yes, the sheer height of the towers was amazing, but I think the sheer size of the superblock was equally breathtaking. The original WTC was both tall and vast. I also loved all of the elevated bridges... It was a little city within a big city, one in which you could escape from the surrounding streets and be in a different world. The plaza being well above ground level was crucial to this experience; you could be above the rest of NYC.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #65
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

The Old WTC (1972-2001) complext. so.. old. The twin towers were classic and symbolic.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #66
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Old WTC was more visually attractive, coherent, and unique. Not to mention it fit the skyline far better than the new WTC.

bozenBDJ, Enigmatism415 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #67
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Old WTC was more visually attractive, coherent, and unique. Not to mention it fit the skyline far better than the new WTC.
Absolutely, if I could pick but only one word to describe the primary advantage that the old WTC holds over the new one, it would be coherence. The original WTC was one unified complex with a defined centerpiece. The new complex, interesting and beautiful though it may be, is fragmented and inconsistent.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #68
DannyFangles

Likes (Received): 38

I like both the twin towers and the new world trade center complex. The twin towers represented the old New York extremely well and was extremely iconic with its simple and non-sophisticated shape looming in the skyline whereas the 1WTC and others are sleek, elegant and blow the old away and bring the futuristic look to New York.
DannyFangles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #69
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Most of you guys are forgetting that the new complex is not just the "Freedom Tower" (it's actually called One WTC), but instead a complex of 5 highrises. While One WTC certainly isn't my favorite design of the new WTC, it's still amazing. Just the sheer size, the "twisting" of the building as it goes up, and huge windows to look out of. I don't see how you could not like the new complex. I think one major reason is that you people just can't accept change and that the the old complex will never be rebuilt. If it was, that would just terrify people and they wouldn't get any tenants for the buildings.

And the only reason the Twin Towers were iconic is because of the terrorists attacks on them and the fact they were twins. Nobody really liked them at first when they were first being constructed, but people started slowly warming up to them. The same is true for the new complex. I can guarantee that if something were to happen to the new complex, you all would be screaming for it to be rebuilt also. Just my
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #70
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post

And the only reason the Twin Towers were iconic is because of the terrorists attacks on them and the fact they were twins. Nobody really liked them at first when they were first being constructed, but people started slowly warming up to them. The same is true for the new complex. I can guarantee that if something were to happen to the new complex, you all would be screaming for it to be rebuilt also. Just my
You shouldn't make that broad a generalization. I and many others would take the old WTC over the new one any day, in terms of architecture. They would have been my favourite buildings if I was in 1970s NYC watching them rise.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #71
weidncol

Quote:
You shouldn't make that broad a generalization. I and many others would take the old WTC over the new one any day, in terms of architecture. They would have been my favourite buildings if I was in 1970s NYC watching them rise.
While they were amazing back in their time frame, that is sadly not the style today. I don't even have a personal preference for the complex, I think they are both amazing. I may be leaning towards the new complex because I welcome change.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM   #72
smb95

Likes (Received): 65

The old WTC was amazing. Sadly I never went to them at all. I also think that the twin towers looked amazing and had something unique about them that the new WTC would never have.
smb95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #73
marvelfannumber1

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
I dunno, looking at both of them during the time they were designed and built, they both look hideous and out of place.

The old WTC was way too big and monstorous to fit with the (at the time) realatively crammed lower manhattan and the new WTC is way too crowded for it's own good (especially when looking west)

– Mark Hampton
marvelfannumber1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #74
ThatOneGuy

The fact that you seem to bash all modern buildings calls for a second opinion.

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Centre by David in London2007, on Flickr

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; December 27th, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #75
marvelfannumber1

Quote:
The fact that you seem to bash all modern buildings calls for a second opinion.
What a broad generalization.

Dunno what that has to do with anything though...

– Mark Hampton
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #76
ThatOneGuy

I'm saying that because this was a modernist building, there is little chance you would say anything positive about it, so a negative comment like that is expected. Even your "quote" suggests my very point.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #77
marvelfannumber1

Quote:
I'm saying that because this was a modernist building, there is little chance you would say anything positive about it, so a negative comment like that is expected. Even your "quote" suggests my very point.
Uhmm, yeah those are my tastes. No need to be snarky about it, and get off topic for no apparent reason. Now anyways back to the WTC...

– Mark Hampton
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #78
surveyingsteve
tails tail

Likes (Received): 58

I believe a similar question in 30 years time will judge the original towers the more impressive. They were so unbelievably iconic and powerful hence why they were targeted. The new towers just look like any tower in Asia to me. The London Shard is more impressive than the Freedom Tower. The WTC could and should of been done so much better. I feel it has been a missed once in a lifetime opportunity to really do something special in such a prime location. The new towers just don't add any wow factor to me, sorry.
surveyingsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #79
weidncol

The Twin Towers were targeted by Al Qaeda because they wanted to ruin the US's economy. Not because they were icons.
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #80
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfannumber1 View Post
I dunno, looking at both of them during the time they were designed and built, they both look hideous and out of place.

The old WTC was way too big and monstorous to fit with the (at the time) realatively crammed lower manhattan and the new WTC is way too crowded for it's own good (especially when looking west)
dark_shadow1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote