daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #321
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

damn pudong skyline looks poor from this angle. They need shanghaio Tower!
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #322
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Haibao revealed in cartoon series
7 September 2009
Shanghai Daily

MORE people, especially children, have started to recognize Haibao, the mascot of the World Expo 2010 Shanghai. With the event coming closer, the sea-blue, elf-like figure waving two hands and with a shock of hair sticking up at the top of his "head," like an unruly curl, has become popular among more people around the world.

But do you know whether Haibao is a boy or girl? The mascot is lively or shy? What is the mascot's favorite food? Where does Haibao come from and does Haibao have any superpowers?

A 52-episode cartoon about the mascot from the Expo organizer will give all these answers next spring. The organizer invested more than 10 million yuan (US$1.46 million) in the cartoon's production to expand the figure's personality and "legendary" experiences.

As a result, it is hoped the mascot will become more than a statue at tourism spots for people to pose with. It will be an enlivened creature able to smile, to cry, to be excited and to be angry.

Haibao is a seven-year-old boy creature from the sea. He has all the characters of a human child at the same age - he is friendly, clever, lively and curious about everything, as well as capricious sometimes, revealed cartoon director Hong Bing, associate professor of Shanghai Theater Academy China.

The cartoon series "Coming Haibao" will be telecast on about 200 channels around world next spring.

In the series, Haibao will use his wisdom and superpower - to become a robot or other different shapes - to battle a bad character, named Chou Chou (literally means ugly in Chinese) who intends to invade the Rainbow City, Haibao's hometown.

The Rainbow City is originated from Shanghai. Many iconic venues of the city, such as the Oriental Pearl TV Tower and the Jing Mao Tower, as well as the Expo Shanghai site, will appear in the series.

In the story, Haibao will live in a Shanghai longtang (lane) house with another friend, Pi Pi, and his parents. The mascot will gradually find his superpowers and lead his friends to fight against the invaders.

Haibao's favorite food is xiaolongbao, or steamed buns, a traditional Shanghai snack.

And the biggest enjoyment for the mascot is to have a bath.

His best pal is a five-year-old girl, named Bei Bei, a charismatic and clever girl. As the series develops, the little mascot even falls in love with the girl.

His curl will tell his mood - it will turn up when Haibao is angry and will whirl when the mascot is thinking.

"I've tried to give more human personality to the mascot to make people feel that he is not an elf but a boy," said Hong. He said the directors' team originally cast Haibao as an "all mighty god" who could save the world.

Haibao has to keep drinking water because he comes from the sea. When he becomes tired, his blue skin will fade to a lighter color while his body will shrink, but he will soon be rejuvenated after plunging into water. In the winter, Haibao will need to wear a thick coat, otherwise he will freeze.

His biggest weakness is that he is extremely ticklish. Sometimes, Haibao will become sad because he does not have a mother.

The cartoon figures of kung fu movie star Jackie Chan, pianist Lang Lang and NBA star Yao Ming - all official Expo Shanghai Promotion Ambassadors - will appear in the cartoon to help Haibao.

Chan will use his kung fu to fight the robot invaders. Yao will lead a basketball team to compete with a team made up of aliens from other planets.

When the enemies become too strong, Lang will use his beautiful music to move and overcome them.

The three super stars will appear in many episodes and they will dub their own voices for their characters.

The story features a "Puppet Planet" which will be the biggest enemy of Haibao's Rainbow City. The planet is on the edge of collapsing because it relies too much on modern technology but neglects to love and communicate with its inhabitants.

The story will be a good lesson to children to encourage them to take more care of others, Hong said.

At the end of the cartoon, the bad characters will be "reclaimed" by Haibao, rather than being defeated.

The cartoon's target audience is children between six to 10 years old, but adults will also be entertained by the funny dialogue and interesting plots.

Introductions of major Expo pavilions at the 2010 world fair will be featured in the cartoon. For example, a storyline will be based in the China Pavilion of the Expo. The interiors featured in the cartoon will reflect the real pavilion, Hong said.

The cartoon will be telecast ahead of Expo, so it will offer a good chance to preview the Expo site, he said.

Hong said the organizer would make a movie about Haibao which will be telecast around the world for the duration of the 184-day event.

Who's Haibao

Name: Haibao

Birthday: December 18, 2007 (when the Expo organizer announced him to be mascot of the 2010 event)

Height: can be as high as he wants.

Hobby: taking baths and dancing.

Favorite place: Shanghai

The world in his eye: simple, splendid, fresh, full of creativity.

Favorite beverage: coffee-tea which helps keep him reinvigorated anytime so that he can welcome guests from all over the world to Expo Shanghai.

Favorite food: xiaolongbao, or steamed buns, a traditional Shanghai snack.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #323
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

I really hope I can visit the Expo in Shanghai. But it depends on how cheap I can get I ticket from Amsterdam to Shanghai ( It's so expensive )
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #324
SilentStrike

Lol flying to china is a LOT cheaper than flying to other places same distance.. america for example, u just need to take care of Visa.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #325
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Generally, flights to NYC (for example) are a lot cheaper than flights to any place in China from my experience.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #326
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Parks to keep visitors cool in summer
11 September 2009
Shanghai Daily

The Shanghai Expo organizer is to build two parks along the Huangpu River in the Pudong section of the Expo site for visitors to enjoy a cooler environment in summer - a temperature 5 degrees Celsius lower than other parts of the site.

The organizer yesterday unveiled the design of the two main parks - the 230,000-square-meter Expo Garden and 140,000-square-meter Houtan Park - that will cover the 2-kilometer riverside.

More than 5,000 tall trees will provide shelter from the sun and provide natural air-conditioning by channeling the wind through the site, said Yu Zhiyuan, director of the Expo park project. Purified water from the Huangpu River will be sprayed on the ground to lower temperatures.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #327
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6230

This is one amazing looking place, I really hope they keep all the pavilions afterward.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #328
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
This is one amazing looking place, I really hope they keep all the pavilions afterward.
I hate to break it to you Spliff Fairy, but I don't think they're allowed to [keep the pavillions] under the rules of hosting the expo. I'd normally do some googling to find out the truth, but my connection is running slow tonight so you're just going to have to take my word

Anyway, I'm 99.99% sure that the pavillions need to be removed after the expo ends. It's a stupid rule, and I don't see the reasoning behind it. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

Brisbane tore down the pavillions after Expo '88. That might have just been because no one wants bad 80's architecture raping such a prime inner city area though. When Melbourne hosted the Expo though (in 1880) the buildings were retained, though modified. Australia's first parliament actually used the Expo building (which is now under UNESCO world heritage listing) for its first sitting as a federated nation in 1901.

Last edited by city_thing; September 12th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #329
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
Lol flying to china is a LOT cheaper than flying to other places same distance.. america for example, u just need to take care of Visa.
It's expensive for a student like me. I was there last year but it's not something I can afford to do every year. Unless there are tickets around 500 euro or lower.

Last edited by Atmosphere; September 12th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #330
yunowu

Likes (Received): 0

I have visited Shanghai many times in the past. Looking forward to Expo.....
yunowu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #331
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I can see why the host city is not allowed to keep the buildings of the Expo. The government of the country is responsible for building the pavilion, they don't want to fund a gift for the host country, they would rather use the pavilion to show off their own country and then tear it down when they are done.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #332
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So another reason why I need to get to Shanghai in 2010.

A bit unenvironmental to build and tear like this ...

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #333
SilentStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

Generally, flights to NYC (for example) are a lot cheaper than flights to any place in China from my experience.
yah well it depends from where ofc :P

atmoshere was from the same country as me so thats why I used those 2 examples.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #334
vilagkiallitas.hu

EXPO FORUM

Join to the Expo Forum!

The latest news, pavilions, job offers, opinions and personal experiences about the Expo

More info >> www.expo2010china.hu
vilagkiallitas.hu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #335
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilagkiallitas.hu View Post
Join to the Expo Forum!

The latest news, pavilions, job offers, opinions and personal experiences about the Expo

More info >> www.expo2010china.hu
hu = Hungary??
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #336
SilentStrike

ya just use the official site... not that hungary crap
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #337
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14078

massive

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #338
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Exporters to build pavilion for Shanghai Expo
19 September 2009
The Korea Herald

SHANGHAI, China - Korea's leading exporters yesterday broke ground on a joint exhibition pavilion for Expo 2010 Shanghai that kicks off in May for a 5-month run.

A group of 12 companies including Samsung Electronics, Kumho Asiana, Shinsegae, POSCO, Hyundai Motors and Korea Electric Power Corp. will build a joint exhibition facility in the Puxi region of the city. Hyosung, Doosan, LG, STX, Lotte and SK Telecom also plan to take part in the project. About 30 billion won ($24.8 million) will be invested from businesses' pockets while the Korea International Trade Association, an influential business lobbying group, takes charge of overall coordination.

The joint pavilion of South Korean exporters is one of two exhibition sites to be built exclusively for businesses. An association of Japanese businesses also plans to build an independent pavilion during the expo. The Korean pavilion, however, will draw more attention as leading global companies such as Samsung and POSCO take part while smaller mid-sized Japanese companies participate in events, officials said.

The joint pavilion will visualize the future city driven by green technology and growth mechanisms, Oh Young-ho, vice chairman of the Korea International Trade Association, said at the ground breaking ceremony.

The project will also enhance corporate images of Korean firms in China which have already reached the local market in previous years. China is Korea's No.1 export destination.

Businesses will showcase their strategies for making city life better by using renewable energy, smart grid technology and intellectual transportation systems in the future, officials said. Companies are not allowed to directly display their own products during the exhibition according to expo rules.

The three-story building consists of four halls, each designed to promote advanced green technology developed by Korean companies and their corporate vision for the future.

The construction of the Korean business pavilion will be environment-friendly from the foundation work to demolition process.

The tent material planned to cover the exterior of the pavilion will be recycled as grocery bags and will be distributed in supermarkets such as E-mart in the city.

The planned participation of North Korea in the upcoming expo also drew attention.

North Korea is expected to participate at the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai, for the first time.

"North Korea will open its national pavilion on a 1,000-square-meter area under the theme of 'capital of Joseon, Pyeongyang,'" Xu Wei, spokesperson of Shanghai Expo 2010.

The official did not elaborate on the funding of the North Korean pavilion but the communist government will rent the exhibition space instead of constructing its own building.

The World Expo Shanghai 2010 is expected to draw 70 million visitors with more than 230 participating countries. The theme of the exposition will be "Better City, Better Life," and the event is scheduled to take place from May 1-Oct. 31, 2010.

The Chinese government plans to spend 28.6 billion yuan ($4.18 billion) on the expo.

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #339
japanese001

Likes (Received): 707

Japan Industry Pavilion

http://www.shanghai-expo-sangyoukan.jp/

Participating Organizations
The Japan Industry Pavilion is a large-scale exhibition site sponsored by a coalition of privately-owned companies and municipalities. To Japan, China has been one of its most indispensible partner historically, culturally and in the current economy and industry standpoint. The Expo to be held in China should be an opportunity for corporations and municipalities to exhibit their wide array of wisdom, technology and aesthetic senses as much as the governments shall unveil their official exhibitions.
Based on such aims, the Japan Industry Pavilion is structured through an organization (coalition company) comprised of various corporations and municipalities.
There are currently 14 companies funding for the Japan Industry Pavilion, but there are still available lots for 3 to 4 companies to participate in the sponsorship. The Japan Industry Pavilion plans to continue soliciting sponsors to better strengthen and diversify its exhibition.

The Japan Industry Pavilion's Choice and Reason of Its Location
The Japan Industry Pavilion is located near the western entry gate in the Puxi district area of the Shanghai Expo.
The location has previously been the site of Jiangnan Shipyard Plant, and within the vicinity is a large building with dimensions 170m x 84m x 25m. The Pavilion is located on the eastern side of the site, boasting 4,000mē in exhibition area. The Japan Industry Pavilion selected such location for 3 reasons:

(1) Convenient location in close proximity to the entrance gate near the city's main subway line.
(2) Demonstration of the Pavilion's environmental-conscious philosophy is feasible through reusing construction
(3) Appealing exhibition potential is available through the immense space consisting of approximately 100,000mē

Theme and Concept
The theme of the Japan Industry Pavilion is “Better Life from Japan”. The theme aims to convey and demonstrate the sophisticated technology and aesthetic senses of Japanese industries, the luxurious quality of Japanese products and services, and the beautiful living landscapes of regional Japan.
The concepts representing such theme are “Reuse”, “Space” and “Pulse”: the Pavilion will demonstrate the Japanese people's ancient reusing philosophy that placed great care on possessions, exhibit various space structure seen in Japanese mountains, rivers, streets, houses and gardens, as well as demonstrate time management methodology that represents the pulsation of Japanese culture. The Japan Industry Pavilion shall embody special structuring unlike anywhere else .

J-Sense=The Real Japan Today
The aesthetic mottos representing the Japan Industry Pavilion is the globally known phrases “Kirei,” “Kawaii” and Kimochii”, together recognized as “J-sense”.
Although Japan was previously famous for its traditional and simplistic culture and craftsmanship as well as its pureness of Japanese mentality, Japan today in the 21 st century is bursting with new sensations. The Japan Industry Pavilion interprets these new sensations as J-sense, and aims to exhibit the real Japan today.

Design Plan of the Japan Industry Pavilion=Pursuit for an Innovative Exposition Image
The Japan Industry Pavilion will construct an independent building within the vast space of the former site of Jiangnan Shipyard. The construction will fully demonstrate the Pavilion's philosophy to reuse resources and will be built with reusable single-pipe structuring.
This design plan also enables flexible representation of what should be a three-dimensional canvas and/or large three-dimensional stage. The Japan Industrial Pavilion proposes an “international exposition in the reusing epoch”, transcending ”international exposition in the single-use epoch”.

Structuring of the Japan Industry Pavilion
The Japan Industry Pavilion densely comprises of various exhibition areas.
(1) Interactive Area
Pavilion visitors will first enter the Interactive Area and be introduced to Japanese industries and regional culture. They will be free from idle time when waiting in line.
(2) Theme Exhibition Area
The visitors will proceed to the Theme Exhibition Area, where they will be greeted with a surprise. The “Crane Eyes” and “Turtle Eyes” invite the viewers to experience Japan with the new J-sense.
(3) Main Exhibition Area
Participating corporations each display their exhibitions within their spaces in this area. Each exhibition represents different views of the Japan Industry Pavilion's wisdom and aesthetic senses.
(4) Gourmet Area
The Gourmet Area is designed to let visitors savor the beauty of Japanese food. The area provides authentic and traditional Japanese cuisine as well globally popular J-sense foods with the tranquil view of Japanese gardening in the latest style. ”Delicious” in written Japanese is represented in Chinese characters meaning “beautiful” and “taste”.
(5) Retail Area
The Retail Area, with futuristic and upscale ambience, sells merchandise that Shanghai Expo visitors from around the world, together with local Chinese visitors, will surely be tempted to try.
9.Time Structure of the Japan Industry Pavilion
Scrupulous time representation is another evident feature in the Japan Industry Pavilion. The whole Pavilion operates in 3-minute periods and is designed to move approximately 70 spectators in conjunction. This creates harmonized progression, or “Japanese-style orderliness”, instead of compulsory control. The Japan Industry Pavilion aims to exhibit the beauty of “Space x Time”.

Representing Players in the “World Wisdom & Beauty Championships”
If the Olympic Games are the “World Strength & Performance Championships”, the International Expositions shall be the “World Wisdom & Beauty Championships”. The producers of the Expositions are equivalent to the Olympic team manager, and the designers are equivalent to the team players.
The Japan Industry Pavilion comprises of members best suited to be part of the Japanese team. As a team representing the country of Japan, it cannot leave itself to subcontracting businesses and corporations. Its lineup consists of members that best represent the Japanese industry and regions for the Shanghai Expo, or “history's largest international event”.

“Remunerative Contribution to Society”
Participating in International Expositions may be the greatest way to contribute to society. The exhibitions will entertain, culturally educate and demonstrate beauty to millions of visitors from around the world. The contributions should be remunerative, however, as corporations and municipalities are funding them. PR and market development of Japanese industries. Revitalization of Japan's regional areas. Enhanced morale of employees and residents. The Pavilion believes that the pressure to realize “beneficial” societal contribution in such holistic standpoints is the key to success.

Japan Pavilion

http://shanghai.expo-japan.jp/

The theme of Expo 2010 Shanghai is "Better City, Better Life." The exhibition message of the Japan Pavilion is "Connect for a Harmonious Future," and is composed so that visitors can experience the connections being formed in Japan, China, and the world for the future. The message centered on "connections" is expressed using a range of exhibition techniques including animations, robots, computer graphics, and musicals to make it easy to understand and accessible for everyone from children to senior citizens.

Site area Approx. 6,450mē
Building area Approx. 3,900mē
Total floor area Approx. 7,200mē (including semi-enclosed outdoor spaces approx. 8,200 mē)
Height Approx. 24m
Structure Steel frame
No. of floors Three floors above ground
Exterior walls ETFE2 double-layer pillow construction

Last edited by japanese001; September 19th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #340
Tahoknak

Thanks for the link

www.expo2010china.hu is cool, more news than the official site.
Thanks 'vilagkiallitas.hu'
Tahoknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
shanghai