daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:22 AM   #681
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

I'm glad I decided to not go... Shanghai will be more fun without the expo :-)

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #682
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

不喜欢EXPO,一次也没去过。。。讨厌秀场。。。
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #683
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
unfortunately, i was one of those 1.3 million people in zorg's pic. traffic jam waste my 3 hours on the way, and i've never seen so many buses in my lifetime.
lol, got any pics of the 'people mountain people sea'?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM   #684
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
lol, got any pics of the 'people mountain people sea'?
get some,i'll post lately.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #685
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

I didnt bring a camra, just took some radomly shoots by my cellphone
where i get on the bus(my city)

on the way

destination

Last edited by oliver999; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM   #686
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Today's visitor data looks weird and completely broke the pattern of every other day. What the hell happened from 15:30? Maybe they rejected a lot of people so that the Expo doesn't become as crowded as last weekend?
http://en.expo2010.cn/yqkl/index.htm

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #687
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

Expo photography

from Tricky, thcad, netease.com

balthazar liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #688
jerseyszhen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

very nice....

http://www.sport-union.com/

http://www.chinatopugg.com/

http://www.nfl-nhl.com/

http://www.reeboknet.com/
jerseyszhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #689
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Spent four day there, including the second through fourth day after opening, luckly there were the not so busy days, I think the busiest day there were about 250,000 people and I thought it's the absolute limit of its capacity, can't imagine how crazy it was when over 1 million people attended.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:56 AM   #690
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Shanghai World Expo ends, drew 72 million visitors
31 October 2010
By ELAINE KURTENBACH, Associated Press

SHANGHAI – China's biggest tourism event ever, the Shanghai World Expo, wraps up Sunday after introducing a record 72 million visitors to a smorgasbord of cultures and technologies meant to illustrate its theme of urban sustainability.

The massive, six-month event aimed at showcasing China's rise as a modern industrial power drew mainly local visitors, many of them ordinary folk from the provinces who flooded into the city by the tour busload-full, cramming the city's hotels, subways and other public places.

Most patiently braved waits of up to 10 hours at some popular national pavilions, sweltering summer temperatures, long walks and other inconveniences for what could be once-in-a-lifetime direct contact with foreign places and people.

Highlights included Denmark's famed "Little Mermaid" sculpture, a rooftop cable car ride above a replica alpine meadow at the Swiss pavilion, famous impressionist paintings from the Louvre at the French pavilion, and entertainment by Cirque du Soleil courtesy of Canada.

"Thanks to the expo, people like me who never would have a chance to go abroad can experience the whole world," said Zou Aiguo, a retiree from central China's Jiangxi province whose son gave him an expo tour as a present.

"It's my first time to Shanghai, the most prosperous city in China, and I'm very excited," he said.

Not everyone was pleased by the event, least of all some of those unhappy with being forced out of old housing to make way for the expo zone, but such criticism gains little traction in a country that vigorously suppresses public dissent.

Eager to make its world's fair the biggest ever, China spent 28.6 billion yuan ($4.3 billion) on the event itself, and many billions more on improving subways, roads, tunnels, airports and other public facilities in this metropolis of more than 20 million people. The entire city got fresh paint, new landscaping and flowers and a kaleidoscope of decorative lighting.

World Expositions began with the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, which marked the coming of the Industrial Revolution, and have often been the forum for introducing new technologies, foods and innovative ideas.

In keeping with the event's motto, "Better City, Better Life," Shanghai was striving to make its fair a "green" one. It deployed electric buses and carts and installed energy-saving air conditioning and water filters meant to cut use of bottled water. It also recycled rain water and made use of solar power.

Organizers even limited where visitors could smoke, though enforcement was lax, especially at night.

Altogether, some 814,000 volunteers, both from overseas and inside China, helped to keep the average 370,000 visitors a day moving to and through the venue relatively smoothly, though it was standing-room only when attendance hit a peak of 1.03 million on Oct. 16.

"The pavilions look great from the outside, better than I expected, but I'm not convinced it's worth waiting for hours in lines to get in," said Liu Xiaoyin, who drove her 13-year-old daughter to Shanghai from a nearby city.

"Anyway, we came over to have a look. After all, it is happening in China, so we Chinese should not miss it," Liu said.

The 72 million who managed to get to the event surpassed the previous record of 64.21 million visitors who attended the 1970 fair in Osaka, Japan. Achieving the record was an absolute must in a prestige-obsessed country with a penchant for overshooting numerical targets.

Apart from the jobs-creating construction and services before and during the event, the Yangtze River Delta region, including Shanghai, reportedly reaped 80 billion yuan ($12 billion) in tourism-related spending.

The next expo, in 2012, will be in the South Korean port city of Yeosu, with a similar theme of "Green Growth, Blue Economy," or marine-based sustainability. After that the expo will move to the Italian city of Milan in 2015, with a focus on food safety.

Now, all but a handful of the more than 200 structures built in the vast plazas along the banks of Shanghai's Huangpu river, former shipyards and steel works destined to become prime real estate, must be dismantled and recycled or otherwise disposed of.

Several of the pavilions were sold outright and will be moved to other countries or provinces in China to serve as museums or landmarks.

In recent weeks, many national pavilions began selling off their remaining souvenirs and other miscellany as they prepared to shut down.

On a recent evening, an expo shop was crammed with unsold memorabilia such as key chains, toys, cups, jewelry and stationery — most of it festooned with the big-eyed, bright blue "Haibao" mascot figure.

But the biggest hit with expo shoppers appeared to be the 60,000 transparent rods that formed the outer structure of the sea-urchin shaped British pavilion, which are being auctioned off via Chinese online retailer Taobao.com to raise funds for a Shanghai facility dedicated to helping children with cerebral palsy.

Taobao said that in the initial round, 8,000 rods, each of which encases a seed from England's Kew Millennium Seed Bank, were sold in just 2 minutes.

___

Associated Press researcher Ji Chen contributed to this report.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM   #691
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

the latest figure is 73 million (after today's number added)
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #692
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Are these events really needed anymore? It just seems that they are costly, short term events, that you could find just as much about the places on offer on the net.

The world has changed a lot since the concept first started afterall, to a globalised world.

These events happen too close together. Maybe if it was once a decade, people would really get excited. China has spo many people that it came in handy for them to showcase the globe, as the internet is still not common for so many there. The more years pass, the less likely this is to be the case across the globe.

If I eas the Expo body, I would be rationalising the process to only having 1 expo type, once a decade. The amount of excitement that could be generated then would be huge. At worst, it could be 1 every 5 years, but with no smaller expos anymore.

Overall, China did a great job, with huge attendances. It cost a lot to stage, and hopefully China got what it wanted from it
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #693
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Are these events really needed anymore? It just seems that they are costly, short term events, that you could find just as much about the places on offer on the net.

The world has changed a lot since the concept first started afterall, to a globalised world.

These events happen too close together. Maybe if it was once a decade, people would really get excited. China has spo many people that it came in handy for them to showcase the globe, as the internet is still not common for so many there. The more years pass, the less likely this is to be the case across the globe.

If I eas the Expo body, I would be rationalising the process to only having 1 expo type, once a decade. The amount of excitement that could be generated then would be huge. At worst, it could be 1 every 5 years, but with no smaller expos anymore.

Overall, China did a great job, with huge attendances. It cost a lot to stage, and hopefully China got what it wanted from it
The Expo is probably an outdated event in the West. But for China, where the vast majority of people cannot travel freely abroad due to visa restrictions, the Expo offered a great opportunity to see what the world has to offer.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #694
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

Well, they spend USD 4.3B on the event itself, and generated about USD 12B of tourism revenue, I'd say that's a pretty successful business venture. The related cost of improving infrastructure will benefit the city many years to come. On the other hand, other smaller countries shouldn't try to emulate or expect the same success story since the circumstance is going to be very different.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #695
yulekung
Thais love Thais.

Likes (Received): 99

Shanghai World Expo ended, skyscrapercity still put the thread title as U/C
MUANGTHONG UNITED เมืองทอง ยูไนเต็ด www.mtufc.com/‎
CHONBURI FC ชลบุรีเอฟซี http://www.chonburifootballclub.com/
BANGKOK GLASS FC บางกอกกล๊าสเอฟซี http://www.bangkokglassfc.com/
SUPHANBURI FC สุพรรณบุรีเอฟซี http://www.suphanburifootballclub.com/
yulekung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #696
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Well, they spend USD 4.3B on the event itself, and generated about USD 12B of tourism revenue, I'd say that's a pretty successful business venture. The related cost of improving infrastructure will benefit the city many years to come. On the other hand, other smaller countries shouldn't try to emulate or expect the same success story since the circumstance is going to be very different.
I agree that it was a big success in this case, but theres definately limited opportunities for the future for it to be as successful again.

Thats my main concern with the events future. It needs to become relevant to the world as a whole again.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #697
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

hey all,

the ceremony closed expo on Oct 31st, Update..??

I want see more pic...
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #698
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBlueDragon View Post
hey all,

the ceremony closed expo on Oct 31st, Update..??

I want see more pic...
Photo thread : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1205913

Old November 6th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #699
Naipesky

Likes (Received): 17593

The post-EXPO.

Quote:
Shanghai World Expo Culture Center to be re-branded Mercedes-Benz Arena

China News.Net
http://www.chinanews.net/story/701292

Monday 1st November, 2010

The Shanghai World Expo Culture Center was re-named as the Mercedes-Benz Arena on Monday.

The world class entertainment, culture and sports venue with its new name is seen as Shanghai’s equivalent to similar landmark venues such as London’s O2 Arena and the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Mercedes-Benz Arena will commence its tenure with a two month programme of events commencing with concerts featuring Faye Wong (the first on November 19), Jacky Cheung, and the largest family show in the world ‘Walking With Dinosaurs.'

The Mercedes-Benz Arena (www.mercedes-benzarena.com) is the car giant’s first sponsored entertainment arena outside Germany, and sets a new benchmark for naming rights partnerships in Asia.

“We are very proud of our relationship with our naming rights partner Mercedes-Benz” Guy Ngata, General Manager of AEG-OPG Culture and Sports (Shanghai) Co, Ltd the company managing Mercedes-Benz Arena said Monday.

The Founding Partner’s program has attracted exclusive sponsorship deals with China Merchants Bank, MHD (Moet Hennessy Diageo), Budweiser, Coca Cola, and harman/kardon.

The Mercedes-Benz Arena Grand Opening Ceremony will be held on January 15, 2011 with high profile events celebrating the auto giant’s 115th global anniversary.

The six-level Mercedes-Benz Arena seats up to 18,000 with state-of-the-art acoustics and production elements capable of hosting the biggest indoor shows in China and internationally.

The venue incorporates a public ice skating rink, a 20,000 square meter retail podium of concept shops, food & beverage outlets, VIP Lounges, and 82 upmarket suites.

What will happens with the other EXPO's areas and pavillions?

They will keep some pavillions, like the chinese one, or all they will be dismounted. If dismounted, what will be constructed in the EXPO's area?

I will visit Shanghai in 2011 and i want visit the "ruins" of this event, haha (but maybe i just will find fences and "forbidden pass" adverts....)
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #700
hkskyline
Hong Kong

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...143&type=Metro
Switzerland Pavilion headed for Hangzhou
2010-11-10
Shanghai Daily

THE Switzerland Pavilion may become the first foreign pavilion to stay permanently in China, but in Hangzhou.

A Zhejiang Province-based private company signed an agreement yesterday with the Swiss side after winning an online auction last Friday for the right to reconstruct the pavilion for 7.02 million yuan (US$1.05 million).

Zhejiang Zhongyeh Holding Group plans to rebuild the Swiss pavilion at Qiandao Lake, or Thousand Island Lake, in Hangzhou within six months, according to company president Gu Jianing.

The Swiss pavilion is now being dismantled.

At Qiandao Lake, the Swiss pavilion will open to the public and serve as a platform for cultural and business exchanges between China and Switzerland, Gu said. He wouldn't say whether the company, which is engaged in urban infrastructure construction, will charge for entry.

Tags
shanghai