daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM   #81
ufonut
Atlantyda
 
ufonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,007
Likes (Received): 1655

Polish pavilion again.







BTW winners of Zaragosa expo

1. UAE
2. Denmark
3. Poland
__________________
Global Trekker
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #82
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol
 
snow is red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,081
Likes (Received): 119

Giant 'horns' set to soak up sunshine on Expo Boulevard


2008-9-27


CONSTRUCTION began yesterday on the most difficult part of the Expo Boulevard, which officials hope will become one of the highlights of the Shanghai 2010 World Expo.

Several steel structures were erected yesterday morning above the foundation of what will become a three-level boulevard and one of the gateways to the Expo Park. They will be assembled into a structure shaped like the end of a horn pointing skyward that will be about the size of two basketball courts.

The structure will disperse sunshine into the underground level of the boulevard, said Ding Hao, deputy director general of the Bureau of Shanghai World Expo Coordination. Six of these horn-like structures will be built along the 1-kilometer boulevard.

Wu Xinzhi, chief engineer of the Shanghai Mechanized Construction Co, which is in charge of the project, said it is the most difficult part of the boulevard's construction because each piece needs to be measured to the micrometer.

Engineers from China and Germany spent about half a year designing this portion of the boulevard, which is expected to be finished in 2009.

In related news, only Expo shuttle buses and accredited vehicles will be allowed to pass through areas surrounding the Expo site during rush hours when the event is under way, officials said yesterday.

Personal vehicles and taxis will be banned from areas within about 500 meters of the Expo site from 8am to 7pm, according to a preliminary traffic control plan by the School of Transportation Engineering at Tongji University.

The school is also working on vehicle parking controls within 3 kilometers of the Expo site.

"We're trying to minimize the impact of traffic control on local citizens," said Chen Wugao, deputy secretary of the Traffic Department under the Expo Coordination Bureau.

"The Shanghai Expo lasts for half a year. Traffic controls that are too strict will greatly influence people's daily lives and the economic development of the city," the official said.

Traffic departments are working on developing public transportation such as shuttle buses to the Expo area to ease transport for area residents.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...e=Metro&page=1






Last edited by snow is red; September 28th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #83
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol
 
snow is red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,081
Likes (Received): 119

Pier Work Begins

2008-9-29


CONSTRUCTION began yesterday on the first ferry pier in the Shanghai World Expo Park.

Ferries will be one of the major modes of transport for the 2010 Shanghai Expo.

The 4,363-square-meter No.4 pier will be built on the former site of the Pudong Steel Corporation in the Pudong New Area.

The Expo Park will have six such piers extending 5.7 kilometers along the Huangpu River, to ferry visitors from Puxi.

The Expo is expected to attract about 70 million visitors, with 10 percent using the ferries.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...384&type=Metro
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #84
skytrax
Big boss!
 
skytrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lisbon/Luanda
Posts: 27,878
Likes (Received): 14068

awesome project
__________________
"I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying" (Nelson Mandela)

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #85
xXFallenXx
Registered User
 
xXFallenXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,859
Likes (Received): 170

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does the US have a design yet?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM   #86
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, but does the US have a design yet?
No, because it is not sure that the US will participate. With the increase of the US economy over the past 30 years, the necessity of having a pavilion in the Expo has diminished steadily, and in the 1990's a bill passed that prohibited the State Department from spending tax money for expo pavilions. Therefore, unless some private company will take charge of the expenses and the entire project, the US will simply won't be represented at the 2010 expo, since the government thinks it is not worth spending money for something like that (something I'll have to agree with, since I don't think people want their tax money to be spent in building an expensive construction in another country).
Same thing happened in the Zaragoza Expo of 2008, where the US decided not to participate.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM   #87
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!
 
Skyline_FFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Here in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,388
Likes (Received): 109

Since when does ANY country build them with tax money??? They are ALWAYS build with private investors. I think it is a shame and very arrogant to say "for something like that"... The US as world's biggest economy SHOULD participate. But when the topic is environment, the USA have not too much to offer. Since ecologic technology is not the US's concern. They prefer buying foreign technology, IF they want to use it. But most firms in the US do not care too much about environment...
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM   #88
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Since when does ANY country build them with tax money??? They are ALWAYS build with private investors. I think it is a shame and very arrogant to say "for something like that"... The US as world's biggest economy SHOULD participate. But when the topic is environment, the USA have not too much to offer. Since ecologic technology is not the US's concern. They prefer buying foreign technology, IF they want to use it. But most firms in the US do not care too much about environment...
Of the 150 countries that participate, most of the pavilions are funded by the country (state) that represents them, therefore with tax money.At least this applies for most of the countries in the western part of the world (almost every pavilion that represents a european country). Check the info for pavilions that represent countries like Italy, Spain, Ireland, Poland just for a few examples.
The expo isn't about environment, it is about "exposition", with one general theme ( the expo of 2008 was environmental, since it was about water, but this is far from being the main theme of all the expos).

Just because the government is not interested in environmental concerns, doesn't mean "the US" isn't. The first country to sell electric cars was the US, and american companies like Tesla Motors and Aptera are the most advanced in electric car technology. Then we can add companies like Nanosolar (for solar panels) or GE (for wind energy), and innumerable other companies that invest tons of money in environmental technologies ( like Carbon Sciences ). And in 1 year and a half GM is going to start to sell (finally) the Volt. More data to see how wrong you are? The energy produced by renewable energy in the US has reached 10% (news came out just a few days ago, source http://www.energy.gov/ ), and wind energy is growing at a rate of 50% every year (texas alone by 2011-2012 has been projected to be the largest producer of wind energy in the world, in front of Germany and north european countries (Denmark, Finland and Island). Of course, if we calculate the total amount of energy produced with renewable energies, the US is already the biggest producer (Germany and Japan are second and third).
This doesn't mean though that it is enough. Far from it. There is so much more that can be done and that hopefully will be done. But it is embarrassing when people post pointless comments with no data to support what they say. Just a waste of energy.

Last edited by romanamerican; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #89
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error
 
Gaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,498
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
No, because it is not sure that the US will participate. With the increase of the US economy over the past 30 years, the necessity of having a pavilion in the Expo has diminished steadily, and in the 1990's a bill passed that prohibited the State Department from spending tax money for expo pavilions. Therefore, unless some private company will take charge of the expenses and the entire project, the US will simply won't be represented at the 2010 expo, since the government thinks it is not worth spending money for something like that (something I'll have to agree with, since I don't think people want their tax money to be spent in building an expensive construction in another country).
Same thing happened in the Zaragoza Expo of 2008, where the US decided not to participate.
Sigh. This is really bad. This could be the biggest Expo in 100 years (I'm not sure if anyone can ever top the Paris Expo) and our country is not even participating. We need to have an exception on this because people in China and around the world knows more of this expo than any other expo ever presented. Even $100 million is good enough for this expo. We know that even $1 billion is also an easy funding here in U.S.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM   #90
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Sigh. This is really bad. This could be the biggest Expo in 100 years (I'm not sure if anyone can ever top the Paris Expo) and our country is not even participating. We need to have an exception on this because people in China and around the world knows more of this expo than any other expo ever presented. Even $100 million is good enough for this expo. We know that even $1 billion is also an easy funding here in U.S.
Gaeus, you need to see first WHY a nation decides to spend money to participate at the expo, and then decide if it is coherent with its country. The expo is used as a window, where a nation can show something about themselves, (from the beauty of the country, or the position regarding a certain issue, as ecology). It is a way of making themselves known to the world, and a great investment for tourism. So, under this light, does the US need to spend money for a pavilion? The US is first for number of tourists/year, and everybody that reads a news paper, watches television or surfs on the internet knows pretty much everything about the position of the US on determinate issues. Is there really anything that needs to me "expressed" through a costly project? Because even though it is a great event (the Expo) where nations get together to showoff and compete for the most beautiful and well made pavilion, it is not strictly necessary, and therefore it is a way not to use tax money (that nonetheless is spent for other useless things many other times...).
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #91
Douly
Registered User
 
Douly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marseille 6ème
Posts: 4,034
Likes (Received): 1609

French Pavilion; Shanghai 10'

architect: Jacques Ferrier







__________________
-> MARSEILLE PROVENCE : European Capital of Culture in 2013 - MP2013
-> MARSEILLE named European city of 2014 by the Academy of Urbanism
-> MARSEILLE - MUCEM wins the 2015 European Museum Prize


Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #92
Andrew
Registered User
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 3,463
Likes (Received): 36

It's all looking very impressive. Shame the maglev won't be running there though. What other forms of public transport will serve the expo site?
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #93
vilagkiallitas.hu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Serbian Pavilion 2010





More pictures and animation about the pavilion >>www.expo2010china.hu or www.vilagkiallitas.hu/index.phtml?module=home&menu_id=english
vilagkiallitas.hu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #94
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error
 
Gaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,498
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Gaeus, you need to see first WHY a nation decides to spend money to participate at the expo, and then decide if it is coherent with its country. The expo is used as a window, where a nation can show something about themselves, (from the beauty of the country, or the position regarding a certain issue, as ecology). It is a way of making themselves known to the world, and a great investment for tourism. So, under this light, does the US need to spend money for a pavilion? The US is first for number of tourists/year, and everybody that reads a news paper, watches television or surfs on the internet knows pretty much everything about the position of the US on determinate issues. Is there really anything that needs to me "expressed" through a costly project? Because even though it is a great event (the Expo) where nations get together to showoff and compete for the most beautiful and well made pavilion, it is not strictly necessary, and therefore it is a way not to use tax money (that nonetheless is spent for other useless things many other times...).
Yeah, of course. They will not spend tax money for anything except for bunch of things in the Pentagon($660 billion), some of it in the Wall Street(Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, AIG, Bear Stearns, Indymac, etc which already cost taxpayers overall amount of at least $160 billion and the $700 billion bailout) and the Iraq War (at least $400 billion, rumor has it that its over $1.6 trillion ). Well, I guess it's all about the smart spending. I guess bureaucracy has its place but what can I say? Probably, if the expo is here, then they will spend something in here. I guess that Debt Ticker in Wall street only got 13 digits. It need to be revised so that the $10 trillion domestic debt will fit in (It doesn't even include the Foreign Debt which cost probably around $6 - 8 trillion).


Or probably they finally realized that Globalization backfired on them after 6 decades of dominance. OOOPS! that's another way, way, totally different topic. Caught my tongue right there.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #95
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Yeah, of course. They will not spend tax money for anything except for bunch of things in the Pentagon($660 billion), some of it in the Wall Street(Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, AIG, Bear Stearns, Indymac, etc which already cost taxpayers overall amount of at least $160 billion and the $700 billion bailout) and the Iraq War (at least $400 billion, rumor has it that its over $1.6 trillion ). Well, I guess it's all about the smart spending. I guess bureaucracy has its place but what can I say? Probably, if the expo is here, then they will spend something in here. I guess that Debt Ticker in Wall street only got 13 digits. It need to be revised so that the $10 trillion domestic debt will fit in (It doesn't even include the Foreign Debt which cost probably around $6 - 8 trillion).


Or probably they finally realized that Globalization backfired on them after 6 decades of dominance. OOOPS! that's another way, way, totally different topic. Caught my tongue right there.
Yes you are off topic. If you want we can continue the discussion through private messages, but one last point: all the things you talked about are related directly to the country. Financing a building in another country is just a waste of money and doesn't have anything to do with the country that financed it (this can be said for the US, not for smaller countries that want to have international relevance).
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #96
AceN
Expelled
 
AceN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: (0231)
Posts: 12,350
Likes (Received): 3450

is there any Indonesian pavillion ?
__________________

“Never argue with IDIOT people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience ! ”
AceN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #97
meds
.
 
meds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,345
Likes (Received): 6385

ooh the French Pavillon looks very interesting
meds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #98
SilentStrike
Registered User
 
SilentStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 1,756
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceN View Post
is there any Indonesian pavillion ?
yes there is, to see all partifcipating countries: http://en.expo2010china.com/participation/map/index.htm
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #99
vilagkiallitas.hu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Finnish pavilion 2010



More pictures>>www.expo2010china.hu or www.vilagkiallitas.hu
vilagkiallitas.hu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #100
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD
 
the spliff fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: london
Posts: 7,984
Likes (Received): 6218

that is just gorgeous
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
shanghai

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu