daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #61
frostedspikes

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Centrepoint is Grade II listed structure.
The Baltic Exchange was Grade II*. Didn't stop 'progress' from demolishing it.

Centrepoint wasn't even legally built. And its not as if people have fond memories of anything about it other than the illuminated word 'centrepoint', which could easily be put on a long stick instead.
frostedspikes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM   #62
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1555

The Baltic Exchange had its guts ripped out by an IRA bomb. And its replacement is of the same stature and iconography as the Exchange was in its heyday, if not more.

Centrepoint is one of Richard Seifert's most famous works, one of the first skyscrapers in London, and a defining landmark for the West end of London which is now set thanks to a new major transport interchange to be given the context it was supposed to be the first time around.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #63
Light Parade

Likes (Received): 23

1. Tottenham Court Road station is chronically over-capacity, with too few escalators, narrow entrances and a tiny booking hall. It is wholly inadequate to serve the Northern/Central Line interchange. And now - here comes CrossRail.

2. The buildings that will be demolished are interesting (which is why I photographed them), and we lose something from their demolition. However, they are also run-down and in some cases semi-derelict. Some nice architectural details, but not enough to warrant their retention. We have a nice Victorian circus just a couple of hundred yards down, at Cambridge Circus.

3. Centrepoint - doncha just love it. Loath it. Love it. Hmm. Looks good from a distance, fails and fouls up the streetscape close up, because of its isolation on a traffic island - an isolation really emphasised by that stupid fountain, which has ensured for 35 years that there is no pavement - ie no public realm - on the eastern side of the top end of CXR. The 60s planning assumption was to funnel us all through that foul underpass, and into that undersized tube booking hall. Bad bad bad. Dump the fountains, close Andrew Borde Street, create an accessible setting for an iconic tower. Replace the Astoria block with something good (I believe Westminster is insisting in masonry, not steel'n'glass, and I think they're right, providing it's big, bold and contemporary). Replace the Andrew Borde/Denmark Court block with competent, outward-facing buildings that open on to the new piazza. I have highish hopes...

4. While I have your attention... does anybody know what is happening to this?

Just around the back of Andrew Borde, on St Giles High Street, this old mansion block has been semi-derelict for as long as I can remember. It must be one of the last genuinely filthy old buildings left in London. It isn't required to be removed for TCR Station/Crossrail, but it now sits between this big site, and Central St Giles - someone must own it, and that someone must have plans.....
Light Parade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM   #64
Vodski Bandit

Likes (Received): 1

Thank god.. Centrepoint's great. Sadly, these buildings have to go for the greater good

Last edited by Vodski Bandit; February 3rd, 2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: (thank god that Centrepoint's listed btw)
Vodski Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM   #65
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Parade View Post
While I have your attention... does anybody know what is happening to this?
It's staying, but who knows how long for given the replacement developments that will occur around it over the next decade.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM   #66
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

It would be a great shame to lose that building, apart from the dirt it looks to be in remarkably good condition, with no horrible little additions that many other buildings from that era have accumilated over the years.

Even the shop-fronts look to be in good shape, with a bit of sensitive work this could be a very fine building.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #67
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 2

Would make a nice hotel with a large restaurant/bar at its base IMO.
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #68
delores

Likes (Received): 151

I really do hope the replacement buildings are of high architectual quality above crossrail at Centre Point. Are there any plans at all to show what might be going there to replace them? Get Quinlan Terry to build a classical building to replace the lost Victorian one's I can almost feel the anger already.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #69
Light Parade

Likes (Received): 23

Talking of heritage, what happens to the Paolozzi mosaics within the tube station itself.

Allied to the horrible green'n'cream colour scheme and ropey lighting, I think they add to the present station's awfulness, rather than detracting from it.

Nevertheless, I would posit that they are somewhat higher grade art than the Astoria block or the fountains.
Light Parade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #70
sirmomo

You know the critisisms of London from people who hate it? That it's overcrowded, unfriendly, dirty and intimidating? This is the area that really lives up to that billing. Huge amounts of pedestrians struggle past one another on a laughably small pavement (and that's just the good side) whilst traffic roars past them. Just going through that place can give you bad vibes.

What we need is a design that will allow people to stop and take a breath without being knocked over.
sirmomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #71
frostedspikes

Quote:
The Baltic Exchange had its guts ripped out by an IRA bomb.
And was subsequently about to be restored before Foster put pressure on them to let him demolish it. It was so nearly repaired that the remains could be shipped out last year to a foreign country and rebuilt nearly entire.

Quote:
And its replacement is of the same stature and iconography as the Exchange was in its heyday, if not more.
Its replacement is a windswept monster that bears absolutely no relation to anything around it. It looks utterly out of place and could have been built anywhere. Its lazy.

Quote:
Centrepoint is one of Richard Seifert's most famous works.
So, Richard Seifert (or, to call him by his real name, Reuben Seifert) isn't the only architect in the world. I'm sure some of the previous buildings on that site and around had their own architects, famed in their own time.

One of Owen Luder's most famous works was the Tricorn Centre. That's no justification though for not knocking down its wicked inhumanity.

Quote:
Centrepoint .... is now set ... to be given the context it was supposed to be the first time around.
So you're in favour of ripping soho and mayfair to shreds and replacing them with 60s style tower blocks and podiums for the purpose of giving centrepoint and the hyde park tower a suitable context?
frostedspikes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #72
jayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedspikes View Post

So you're in favour of ripping soho and mayfair to shreds and replacing them with 60s style tower blocks and podiums for the purpose of giving centrepoint and the hyde park tower a suitable context?

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #73
Vodski Bandit

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about?! I don't understand your muddled point? Centrepoint is there, listed.. and at a busy transport hub, so it makes absolute sense to have more public space and a nicer street level enviroment around it, if this means the loss of a few mediocre old buildings then so be it in this case I think. The fountain is a ghastly piece of added in clutter, I'm so happy it's going!
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #74
DarJoLe

Quote:
Its replacement is a windswept monster that bears absolutely no relation to anything around it. It looks utterly out of place and could have been built anywhere. Its lazy.
Another new troll not worth arguing with.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #75
Snowy
Inbetweener

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
What the f*ck???!!!!

If you despise the Gherkin then you're on the wrong site my friend...............try ilovequinlanterry.com instead, I imagine it will be more your sort of thing.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #76
Vodski Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyBoy1 View Post
What the f*ck???!!!!

If you despise the Gherkin then you're on the wrong site my friend...............try ilovequinlanterry.com instead, I imagine it will be more your sort of thing.
Agreed. If you hate the Gherkin, then even a newbie like myself can tell you that you're certainly on the wrong site mister spikes, if that is your real name..
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #77
fitz44

Likes (Received): 12

"And was subsequently about to be restored before Foster put pressure on them to let him demolish it. It was so nearly repaired that the remains could be shipped out last year to a foreign country and rebuilt nearly entire".

Not true - the only plans were to restore it and then build a large office block on top of it. It would have been a travesty.

"I'm sure some of the previous buildings on that site and around had their own architects, famed in their own time".

You don't know, do you? You're guessing. What a great argument.

"So, Richard Seifert (or, to call him by his real name, Reuben Seifert) isn't the only architect in the world."

Seifert was also known as the "Colonel", why mention that his original name was Rueben - unless you're making a point about his ethnicity? If so - what's you point?

"One of Owen Luder's most famous works was the Tricorn Centre. That's no justification though for not knocking down its wicked inhumanity".

Hysterical overstatement.

"So you're in favour of ripping soho and mayfair to shreds and replacing them with 60s style tower blocks and podiums for the purpose of giving centrepoint and the hyde park tower a suitable context"?

More hysterical overstatement.

"Its replacement is a windswept monster that bears absolutely no relation to anything around it. It looks utterly out of place and could have been built anywhere. Its lazy".

You are pretty clueless, aren't you?
You're argument cites plans than never existed, architects and buildings (pre-Center Point) you know nothing about, vaguely anti-foreigner overtones, tabloid-esque hysteria and a complete lack of design knowledge or understanding.

Apart from that you make a good case.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #78
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 6

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #79
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Impressive stuff, in the space of 24 posts frostedspikes has been added to my personal 'muppet, ignore' list.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #80
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5337

Huge blue hoardings are now surrounding the fountains at the base of the tower, and the block of shops immediately to the south as well. Workmen are busy on the western side of the street too, preparing for demolition.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: