daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South West

Old August 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Nixoderm
Expert

Likes (Received): 3

LAGOS | Lekki International Airport | Proposed

Name: Lekki International Airport
City/State: Lekki, Lagos
Purpose: Travel/Airport

I can't find any renders or any other information about this mystery airport being built. DOes anyone have any more information?

Sponsored Links

Old August 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #2
SportBilly
Fairplay

Likes (Received): 0

How do you know this airport is under construction since you don't have any information on it?
SportBilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Nixoderm
Expert

It's on the Lekki Free Trade Zone website.
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
zexyworm

Likes (Received): 8

All efforts should be focused on blocking this anti-development project because:

1) It contradicts the notion of developing LAGOS into a hub airport for effective and competitive connection traffic serving both West and Central Africa.

2) The existing airport has adequate terrain area to satisfy growth and new terminal / ramp construction at least until 2040.

3) Lekki has unstable soil and is essentially swampy in many zones. In my opinion the huge amount of money necessary to backfill / compact / anchor / stabilize 25 square kilometers is unjustifiable!

4) The money is better spent (by govt. or the private sector, whichever) on an efficient light rail network connecting Lekki to VI and Lagos in general (perhaps two parallel axis).

5) The investors already brought in at MMA will feel cheated and this is not the way to encourage PPP and investment (Bi-Courtney, Aero Marine WA, the hotel companies, etc.).

Last edited by zexyworm; August 5th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
zexyworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Nixoderm
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexyworm View Post
All efforts should be focused on blocking this anti-development project because:

1) It contradicts the notion of developing LAGOS into a hub airport for effective and competitive connection traffic serving both West and Central Africa.

2) The existing airport has adequate terrain area to satisfy growth and new terminal / ramp construction at least until 2040.

3) Lekki has unstable soil and is essentially swampy in many zones. In my opinion the huge amount of money necessary to backfill / compact / anchor / stabilize 25 square kilometers is unjustifiable!

4) The money is better spent (by govt. or the private sector, whichever) on an efficient light rail network connecting Lekki to VI and Lagos in general (perhaps two parallel axis).

5) The investors already brought in at MMA will feel cheated and this is not the way to encourage PPP and investment (Bi-Courtney, Aero Marine WA, the hotel companies, etc.).

Regardless of all this Lagos clearly needs more than 1 airport, a city of its population cannot survive withonly 1 airport. Especially with the state that the current airport is in right now.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #6
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

the population will survive with 1 airport they just need to expand when the time is right which i believe is now. mmia and mma2 together have somewhere below 8 million passengers sfo is around 40 million they only have 3 terminals and there expanding now. if lagos were to switch airports with sfo it probably would be way under capacity. lagos just needs to do the same thing and expand. all the land to be used to make a new airport would be just be a waste
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 395

true, they need to expand. mm airport could have 5 terminals. 1 for domestic flights to southern nigeria and 1 for domestic flights to northern nigeria. 2 international terminals and 1 regional terminal for the surrounding countries. plus they should make at least 4 or 5 runs ways.

why? it took my flight at least 40 minutes to take off becuase thier was a line of departing flights.

there no need to make another international airport in lagos know the should just expand. lekki international should be a domestic airport.

2. is lagos air space ready for 2 international airports. while the cant really handle one. (there had be alot of near misses in the air space of nigeria.)
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #8
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

the only way i would agree to another airport would be if mmia turned into a cargo airport. while lekki international would be for every other type of flight. but still i would disagree with that because lagos just built mma2. what they could do instead would be to demolish or do some reconstruction to mmia. they definetly need to expand the room in both departing and arriving immigration areas. add another runway and another terminal. mmia was designed from a terminal at amsterdams airport. that airport seems to be doing just fine. while its clone isn't. if you were to go to amsterdams airport. you wouldn't see such congestion and chaos and it takes in 48 million passengers.

all the money from lekki international should go into improving mmia

Last edited by qymekkam; August 6th, 2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #9
JoblessBeggar

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
the only way i would agree to another airport would be if mmia turned into a cargo airport.
Since it is being built within the Free Trade Zone, it is more likely that the proposed Lekki Airport would be the cargo airport.
JoblessBeggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #10
owo9ja
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixoderm View Post
Regardless of all this Lagos clearly needs more than 1 airport, a city of its population cannot survive withonly 1 airport. Especially with the state that the current airport is in right now.
they need to build airports in other cities. i dont understand how a nation half the size of the US in population seeks to focus all its resources in just one city. makes no sense.
owo9ja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #11
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 84

It surprises me too, Owo9ja. Lagos will remain a huge problem if all development attention is being focused on it. There is going to be a great migrating population that will surpass the infrastruture in a continuing loop.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #12
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by owo9ja View Post
they need to build airports in other cities. i dont understand how a nation half the size of the US in population seeks to focus all its resources in just one city. makes no sense.

Do you realise that this is not a Federal Project? It is being built by Lagos as part of a PPP. I don't think there are ongoing Federal Projects in this state. Lagos can not go abroad to canvass for the development of other states. If they want development, other states can go and lobby with the private sector.Lagos lobbied for the LFTZ in partnership with some private bodies.
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #13
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 395

nigeria is trying to spread out the population. thats why their not funding to many project in lagos and trying to fund other cities.
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Nsukka
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
the only way i would agree to another airport would be if mmia turned into a cargo airport. while lekki international would be for every other type of flight. but still i would disagree with that because lagos just built mma2. what they could do instead would be to demolish or do some reconstruction to mmia. they definetly need to expand the room in both departing and arriving immigration areas. add another runway and another terminal. mmia was designed from a terminal at amsterdams airport. that airport seems to be doing just fine. while its clone isn't. if you were to go to amsterdams airport. you wouldn't see such congestion and chaos and it takes in 48 million passengers.

all the money from lekki international should go into improving mmia
Perhaps the new Lekki airport would be to service cargo flights more so than passenger flights.. such is the case with Newark Int. Airport in regard to it's service to New York City. It's just as large as JFK though it's used primarily as a cargo service hub for NYC than a passenger hub in which JFK serves as the primary port for. If this is the case with the Lekki airport.. then I'm totally in support of it, in that it'll act as a great draw for major international cargo transporters like UPS, FED-EX, DHL and others to establish greater presence in West Africa through the new Lekki international Airport.
Nsukka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #15
friendsofthecity

Not only that, it will ease congestion in MM International Airport.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #16
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsukka View Post
Perhaps the new Lekki airport would be to service cargo flights more so than passenger flights.. such is the case with Newark Int. Airport in regard to it's service to New York City. It's just as large as JFK though it's used primarily as a cargo service hub for NYC than a passenger hub in which JFK serves as the primary port for. If this is the case with the Lekki airport.. then I'm totally in support of it, in that it'll act as a great draw for major international cargo transporters like UPS, FED-EX, DHL and others to establish greater presence in West Africa through the new Lekki international Airport.
havent thought of that that sounds way better. i would support that. ive always said lagos needed a cargo airport
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Tbite
Expert

Old December 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #18
friendsofthecity

Can we get a better image, Tbite? The scaling is not included.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #19
Naija

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
Can we get a better image, Tbite? The scaling is not included.
Or better still, can we get an actual render?
Naija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #20
Tbite
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naija View Post
Or better still, can we get an actual render?
As soon as I find anything, I will post it. I never hesitate to post information that I have, if I don't post it, I don't have it.

I would love to see some as well.