daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
fewtrem

Likes (Received): 0

Web Architecture Database

Hi
Firstly, I love visiting these forums and seeing all the pictures you guys post. Its a great international community.

I spent some time trying to find the best place to put this question but am sorry if its gone in the wrong place.

I was looking for a website that would list every building of architectural significance and has stats and pictures and models to download - I have already been on Emporis but I was hoping that there would be one where users could rate buildings and leave comments and edit descritpions - a sort of last.fm / wikipedia for buildings. Spent some time google searching with little success. So - is there anything like that on the internet? If not do people think it would be worth creating something like this?
fewtrem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

I have created something like that, but then only for projects and buildings in Dubai (http://dubai.mag3.be). It's getting very successful, but it's to much to make a database website for all the buildings around the world. Emporis is the best one of its kind, but isn't really what you need.

It's a lot of work to make a website like that, even if it's just for Dubai, it's hard to keep up with all the new information you get.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

another site, similar to emporis: http://www.structurae.de/
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #4
fewtrem

Thanks for your replies

http://www.structurae.de/ is very big, however it is a very ugly site I think! I like the way that you can contribute and it is in 3 languages. I think that it could do with a map of where the buildings are using google maps or something and it is not copyright free. I was hoping that there would be some GNU kind of site.

I think the Dubai site is very good for information but really is not what I was looking for - I was looking for an interactive site where people colaborate to edit the directory and also express opinions on what buildings they like and then, as last.fm does with music, finds other buildings of similar style, by the same architect etc.

Anymore sites?
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Dequal
Architect

Structurae.de is very 20th century and needs a big restyle indeed.

I don't think there's another website for that that you want. But I want to collaborate with anyone who wants to start a website like that.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
fewtrem

Yes - I would be interested in colaborating in making a site like that too - something you could use as a log of buildings you had visited and use to plan trips to cities.

Unfortunately I don't have time to make a site like that myself!
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Dequal
Architect

But I'm already on my own for my Dubai website, and that's already hard to keep it all up to date. Just let me know if someone starts a project like this.
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #8
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Someone started a separate Skyscraper wiki, but it still needs a lot of work:
Skyscrapers Wiki
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #9
grandbuild
GrandBuild.com

grandbuild.com

Grand Build : http://grandbuild.com
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #10
fewtrem

Erm - That grandbuild thing is certainly is not what I wanted, sorry...
since the Wiki has only 24 articles I may guess that people might not be too keen on contributing to something like this anyway.

But, hey, if I do get some free time I might give it a go but focus it on being an "architecture log book" for users to tick off buildings they have visited and plan routes to explore cities, unless there is anything like that already???

Cheers for the replies!