daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #241
Ozcan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I liked all Olympics and naturally they will only get better.
Ozcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #242
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Honestly, who gives a shit about Opening and Closing ceremonies? Seriously, who gives a shit?

They're nothing more than pretentious, tedious TV slot filler for the brain dead. If I want to be entertained by something artistic or aesthetically pleasing, I'll go to a gallery, a gig, the opera, the cinema or the theatre. I certainly wouldn't turn on the TV to watch a few hundred stupidly grinning people dressed up as swans or dragons running around an athletics stadium and masquerading as serious commentary on their country's history and culture.

The Olympics are about sport. Remember that? Sport. Hope, fear, glory, ignominy, elation, despair, beauty, beast, pain, ecstasy, sweat, composure, grace, force, power, finesse. Real people, real stories, real drama. Raw and untainted. That's all the spectacle that I need.

To hell with the self congratulatory, bloated, money wasting orgy of over indulgence that Opening and Closing ceremonies have become. They are an insult to the Olympic spirit.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #243
Marathoner
Marathoner

Likes (Received): 0

If an insult makes most people enjoy, let the insult continue.
Today's athletes prefer in a game with millions of spectators to a few thousands.
Marathoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #244
dANIEL2004

Mo Rush u can really be a huge jerk.It will be my time the next time to post million of fotos to your threads showing the poor children of SA who live in the streets and die cause they have nothing to eat and I will say :FANTASTIC CITY....U are really such liittle in mind...
dANIEL2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #245
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

This thread is so funny, especially when I come across Giorgos's posts. It's like reading a story

Giorgos would fit as a kindergarten teacher; he’s so good with the “And they lived happily ever after” kind of stories. I suggest that they use him in F.R.I.E.N.Ds 2 for phoebe’s male character.
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #246
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

huh?? whast all the fuss about i posted a pic thats certainly during the ceremony...there is a peformer on stage...whats the hassle about??? leafs and daniel keep your panties on...
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #247
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 58

I think Athens put on a great Olympics and backed up from the good work that Sydney did. It looked grim there for a while for Athens, but they scraped through and produced the goods. There were a lot of Australians that were in involved in Sydney 2000 working on the Athens games and in a number of aspects it showed, with the security forces and general precision of the games.

In my opinion, Sydney have been the best games ever because it excelled in all aspects. Athens was also great, but there were areas that could have been better in terms of spectator numbers and the relative lack of enthusiasm from the Greek public (considering this was the olympics coming home) compared to Sydney's complete embrace of the Olympics.

Venues and ceremonies, Sydney and Athens were on par. Personally, I enjoyed the Sydney Opening Ceremony more, but that could be because of a biased viewpoint and the fact I was so excited for the games being in my home city/country. In retrospect, I think that the Athens Opening ceremony was on a grand scale and a more ingenius show than Sydney's, however it was quite a bit shorter and seemed a bit 'made for tv'.
The venues, well Sydney's venues were larger and have all gained solid use since 2000 because of a well thought out plan to stop them from becoming white elephants.
I'm not so sure how some of the Athens venues will fare in the future, with the Greek government not quite as forward planning and cashed up as the Australian and NSW government.

Overall, Sydney 2000 - 10/10, Athens 2004 - 8.5/10
for comparison, I rate Atlanta 1996 as 4/10, Barcelona as 10/10 and Seoul as 7.5/10
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #248
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Definitely Sydney 2000.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #249
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

Why does everybody hate the Atlanta Olympics?
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #250
Landos
BANNED

Perspective is everything. It's funny how to all the Aussies, the Sydney Games were the be-all and end-all of modern Olympics. They seem genuinely surprised that the rest of the world doesn't share the same admiration for them.

The Sydney Games were fine. The put on a good games and the ceremonies were ok. They delivered. But people won't be looking back on them with the same admiration as Munich in 1972, Rome in 1960 or Athens in 2004. They were ok, but they won't figure prominently in the Olympic memories of most people around the world. My opinion.
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #251
Landos
BANNED

Quote:
Greece breathed new life into the Olympic Spirit ? Like the Greek atheletes doping scandal?
Jackhammer seems genuinely offended that drug cheats were caught in Athens and banned from competition. Instead of Sydney's superficial drug screening, which allowed many hypodermic cheats to participate and earn medals.

The Greeks should be commended for being the first Games organizers to proclaim a "Zero Tolerance" for drugs. Instead you have fools like Jackhammer taking them to task for it. What a nincompoop.
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #252
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
Jackhammer seems genuinely offended that drug cheats were caught in Athens and banned from competition. Instead of Sydney's superficial drug screening, which allowed many hypodermic cheats to participate and earn medals.

The Greeks should be commended for being the first Games organizers to proclaim a "Zero Tolerance" for drugs. Instead you have fools like Jackhammer taking them to task for it. What a nincompoop.
That wasn't the angle of my comments. I was simply implying that sadly, the doping scandal is what I remember most about the Athens games. Perhaps my wording was a little sarcastic. However, the remark was made after reading page after page of your biased and defensive comments to anyone who disagrees with your opinions.

To me, a good Olympics is about the stories and drama of the events themselves. There was some interesting stuff in the pool but beyond that, I did not find a lot of excitement at Athens. I also found the ceremonies mostly dull and full of excessive reverence for the Olympic history.

So sorry, I do not rank the Athens games at the top of my list.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #253
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
Imagine if that was in South Africa! What a party! All spectators have guns!
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #254
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB
Honestly, who gives a shit about Opening and Closing ceremonies? Seriously, who gives a shit?

They're nothing more than pretentious, tedious TV slot filler for the brain dead. If I want to be entertained by something artistic or aesthetically pleasing, I'll go to a gallery, a gig, the opera, the cinema or the theatre. I certainly wouldn't turn on the TV to watch a few hundred stupidly grinning people dressed up as swans or dragons running around an athletics stadium and masquerading as serious commentary on their country's history and culture.

The Olympics are about sport. Remember that? Sport. Hope, fear, glory, ignominy, elation, despair, beauty, beast, pain, ecstasy, sweat, composure, grace, force, power, finesse. Real people, real stories, real drama. Raw and untainted. That's all the spectacle that I need.

To hell with the self congratulatory, bloated, money wasting orgy of over indulgence that Opening and Closing ceremonies have become. They are an insult to the Olympic spirit.
I Dont care about ceremonies. I care about the events. Athens were the Cleanest games. Fairest Competition. Flawless Organisation. Winners recieved wreathes. More Athletes. More Nations. Athens was the best.
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #255
Rev
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I also found the ceremonies mostly dull and full of excessive reverence for the Olympic history.
What do you want to see in an opening or closing ceremony, in the nation which invented the Olympic games? Would you have liked it better if they had a bunch of irrelevant garbage, like lawn mowers like in Sydney?

Quote:
So sorry, I do not rank the Athens games at the top of my list.
Your entitled to your opinion.

All you remember is the drug cheats that were caught? Good. In future when barely any are caught, and ridiculous times are set in certain events, you can remember how in Athens 2004, drug cheats were caught. Who knows you might even frown upon drug cheats.

Quote:
More Athletes. More Nations. Athens was the best.
Giorgos, I think most games from now on, will have more Athletes, more nations taking part.
People said Atlanta was better then Barcelona, Sydney was better then Atlanta, Athens was better then Sydney. And they will say in 2008 that Beijing was better then Athens.
Rev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #256
Giorgio

I will say that, and since Athens was the last games, its the best.
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #257
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
What do you want to see in an opening or closing ceremony, in the nation which invented the Olympic games? Would you have liked it better if they had a bunch of irrelevant garbage, like lawn mowers like in Sydney?
Finally! Another sane person has joined the argument!

Dude, you are so correct you dont even know it....
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #258
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Perspective is everything. It's funny how to all the Aussies, the Sydney Games were the be-all and end-all of modern Olympics. They seem genuinely surprised that the rest of the world doesn't share the same admiration for them.
Actually, most do share the admiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
People said Atlanta was better then Barcelona, Sydney was better then Atlanta, Athens was better then Sydney. And they will say in 2008 that Beijing was better then Athens.
This is hardly the opinon of everyone. People also said Sydney and Barcelona were better than Athens and Atlanta. This is subjective it really cannot be debated effectively - there is no definitive measure as to the success or failure bar a few comments made by the officials and the presidents of the IOC. Something described as "Best Ever" would be considered more memorable IMO than something decribed as "Dream" like ... dreams can be easily forgotten.

Last edited by Avatar; October 26th, 2005 at 11:02 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #259
Galactic Ruler

Quote:

Get a life. Drugs, detection and the methods to evade detection change all the time. Sydney and Athens both proved it is getting more difficult to participate while using banned drugs.

Why do you single out Sydney and forget to mention past games where little or no screening had taken place? You are a born hypocrite.
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #260
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
I will say that, and since Athens was the last games, its the best.
So the lastest is always the best? By your logic that would mean the latest of everything is always the better than what came before. We all know this is a stupid and idealistic view of the world. Things don't always get better each time or with time. Sometimes the opposite can be true and there can always be mitigating circumstance that bring about change.

If this is your sole arguement for Athens being the best games you are more stupid than I thought. It is simply not a credible reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
I Dont care about ceremonies. I care about the events. Athens were the Cleanest games. Fairest Competition. Flawless Organisation. Winners recieved wreathes. More Athletes. More Nations. Athens was the best.
Dont forget the winners received wreaths? I am so excited I cannot contain myself. You say you don't care about ceremonies. Another hypocritcal comment by yourself. There have been many multiple comments made by yourself that would be prove otherwise. Should I go and source them?