daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #281
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius
1. Athens 2004
2. Athens 1896
3. Any other Games

Discussing the "best Olympic Games" outside Greece is like discussing the best red wine outside France.
Sorry Guys, no country has the Parthenon, no country has Olympia, no country has the term "Olympic" as a native word.
I can accept anything and I do not praise Greece and Greeks as the "chosen
race" in any case, but face it: On top of the games, Olympics are about spirit and culture, thus about heritage. I'm sorry australians and all other host nations/cities, technically and economically you may argue forever, but simply
put, there is only one Olympia and it lies in Peloponnese in Southern Greece.

Heritage, Spirit and Peace.

Im not taking anything away from Greece..
But Historical Value can only take the games so far.
Athens didnt do a bad job at all in 2004.

But I wouldnt call them the best.

Being an Australian my view will be dismissed as biased, -whatever, but Sydney was a great games, because so much was put into it by everyine (Govt, people etc).

Previous games in other countris and cities have also been great.

Sydney will be outdone in the future, its a given (Perhaps by China)

But you cannot say just because the Olympics originated in Greece (Albeit just the term, since the actual 'games' that take place are infinitely different to those originally played) they are by default the best.

Using your own comparison, any 'red wine' made in France is by default, better than any anywhere else. It isnt true. It takes more than a historical value.

btw, shut your god damn uneducated troll of a mouth giorgos
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #282
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
Wow great observation there! maybe next time you can be atleast the slightest bit accurate on your assumptions?
Nothing you post is accurate!
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #283
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt
Im not taking anything away from Greece..
But Historical Value can only take the games so far.
Athens didnt do a bad job at all in 2004.

But I wouldnt call them the best.

Being an Australian my view will be dismissed as biased, -whatever, but Sydney was a great games, because so much was put into it by everyine (Govt, people etc).

Previous games in other countris and cities have also been great.

Sydney will be outdone in the future, its a given (Perhaps by China)

But you cannot say just because the Olympics originated in Greece (Albeit just the term, since the actual 'games' that take place are infinitely different to those originally played) they are by default the best.

Using your own comparison, any 'red wine' made in France is by default, better than any anywhere else. It isnt true. It takes more than a historical value.

btw, shut your god damn uneducated troll of a mouth giorgos
and can you give reason why sydney was the best?
Your dissmising the fact that the games are historically connected with greece, but you want us to believe that because 5 million tickets were sold sydney was the best?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #284
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Nothing you post is accurate!
And your posts are? Cant you be a bit more productive in such a thread.
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #285
Rev
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Cut the insults guys.
You have differing opinions, and your entitled to them. You dont agree with each other? Good, makes for a better discussion. The discussion dies when the insults start flying.

Half the things some of you have said about each other, apply to your selfs. I hope some of you realise.

Pathetic..

Quote:
This is hardly the opinon of everyone. People also said Sydney and Barcelona were better than Athens and Atlanta. This is subjective it really cannot be debated effectively - there is no definitive measure as to the success or failure bar a few comments made by the officials and the presidents of the IOC. Something described as "Best Ever" would be considered more memorable IMO than something decribed as "Dream" like ... dreams can be easily forgotten.
Obviously it is not everyones opinion.

Demetrius, the Olympics have lost all meaning. The only thing they are about these days is money.

No matter what measures are put in place, no matter how much drug testing is done, the drug cheats will always be ahead. New performance enhancing drugs are developed, and new drugs to conceal them etc. They dont just make one lot and stop there.

How do you measure if an Olympics is the best?
By memorable moments?
By things that you personally enjoyed?
By the success of the games?
By how many world or pb records were broken?
Rev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #286
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

It seems your severe lack of intelligence and amazingly dense head are yet again showing in your posts.

I mean I personally intepret the statement of "But Historical Value can only take the games so far." to imply that it does matter to Some extent, but I was clearly mistaken.

From now on we will all adhere to the logic of giorgos and misinterpret everything we read.

well done moron, keep on making a complete and total ass of yourself and youll go far in life.
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #287
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius
1. Athens 2004
2. Athens 1896
3. Any other Games

Discussing the "best Olympic Games" outside Greece is like discussing the best red wine outside France.
Sorry Guys, no country has the Parthenon, no country has Olympia, no country has the term "Olympic" as a native word.
I can accept anything and I do not praise Greece and Greeks as the "chosen
race" in any case, but face it: On top of the games, Olympics are about spirit and culture, thus about heritage. I'm sorry australians and all other host nations/cities, technically and economically you may argue forever, but simply
put, there is only one Olympia and it lies in Peloponnese in Southern Greece.

Heritage, Spirit and Peace.
What a load of Bollocks!

I dont hear the French proclaiming they "own" the Olympic Games considering it was one of their own countryman who invented the Olympic ideals of the modern Olympics.Its only in name that Baron Pierre de Coubertin called them the "Olympic Games".He could of called them the French Games if he wanted to.The Greeks should be praising the French for calling their games"Olympic" and giving them the honour of being the first host in 1896

Simple truth is that the ancient Olympic Games(which basically was a religious festival in praise of a Greek god,Zeus) bears no resemblence to the Modern.

Culturally,spiritually..heritage ,spirit,peace etc etc or whatever crap you want to spin.
ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #288
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

I tried to put it lightly, but basically yeah
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #289
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 331

Quote:
And your posts are? Cant you be a bit more productive in such a thread.
We have a breakthrough!

You have admitted your posts are not accurate.
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #290
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
and can you give reason why sydney was the best?
Your dissmising the fact that the games are historically connected with greece, but you want us to believe that because 5 million tickets were sold sydney was the best?
The ticket sales mentioned are certainly a valid personal reason for someone thinking it might be the best but they are not the only reason.

You seem content to look at the surface of every issue and not the underlying situations that arise from cause and effect. Ticket sales ensure money, vibrancy, support, atmosphere. I am not saying these were not shown in the Athens games but I get annoyed when I find you can't look past anything but your own stupidity. This is a subjective issue and there can be many various contributing factors - how can you simply dismiss everything everyone says?
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #291
Galactic Ruler

This is too funny. I have no need to watch the comedy channel.

Last edited by Avatar; October 26th, 2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #292
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Whats Profit got to do with the best olympics?
HA ******* HA!

Why do you think the world cares about the olympics so much? Do you seriously think cities spend billions of dollars to somehow follow in the graduer of Athens. Please, if the olympics didn't give the hosting city and economic kick in the pants it would be the equivalent of cricket in Australia, purely televised to put middle aged men asleep. Have you ever actually watched the Olympics right through? BORING! the only attraction is the economic benefiets that come with the investments and advertisment of the city. Not this supposed "spirit" of the Olympics.
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #293
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
Perspective is everything. It's funny how to all the Aussies, the Sydney Games were the be-all and end-all of modern Olympics. They seem genuinely surprised that the rest of the world doesn't share the same admiration for them.

The Sydney Games were fine. The put on a good games and the ceremonies were ok. They delivered. But people won't be looking back on them with the same admiration as Munich in 1972, Rome in 1960 or Athens in 2004. They were ok, but they won't figure prominently in the Olympic memories of most people around the world. My opinion.
Wrong. Very wrong.

The Sydney games were hailed as the rejuvenation of the Olympics, the whole world recognizes them as the best olympics ever. They will always hold a special place in history. The Athens games will be remembered for the poor preperation, the lack of spectators.. oh and also a great roof.

edit- not to mention the drug fiasco with the original final torch bearer..

Last edited by Mephisto; October 26th, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #294
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto
Wrong. Very wrong.

The Sydney games were hailed as the rejuvenation of the Olympic ideals, the whole world recognizes them as the best olympics ever. They will always hold a special place in history. The Athens games will be remembered for the poor preperation, the lack of spectators.. oh and also a great roof.
I totally agree with you - I simply can't make assertions like that - Giorgos and friends would immediately label me biased (they do anyway). Kudos for you telling it how it is. What they don't seem to understand is that I bag sydney out all the time. I love Sydney but with this debate i am impartial.

Last edited by Avatar; October 26th, 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #295
Citizen

Likes (Received): 47

Barcelona 1992: best organization, beautiful city, no problems during the games
Citizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #296
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Are you going to shoot me now?
shame they all being quite harsh on your views if one could call them that....just one thing...athens games werent worse because of the dopings...you cant lbame athens you can praise them forbeing more strict...even if their "torchbearer" forgive me i forgot his name is a druggie too...they increased the doping checks etc. and caught the cheaters fair and square....
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #297
Arko

Likes (Received): 5

Athens 2004 y Barcelona 1992, I never saw a greatest organization and preparation of all the country!!,...and the buildings off course!!
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #298
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Guys, you make a mistake... To choose a best Olympics has a too different faces.

1. The Best Olympics in organization

2. The best Olympic Games in a sportive way... Don't forget that Olimpiada is a sport event more than architecture or show.

However each new game will be better than former one in organization, but worse in a sportive way. doping scandals and other events proved this... Olympics are not a competition between athelets anymore, but a war between medical firms...

Athens Olympics were the last romantic games even in organization, (in a sportive way it was not, each country had a doping scandal and both WADA and Greek authortities could find the guilties very well)

Form now on with Beijing, it will be the organization of international capital...
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #299
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
What a load of Bollocks!
Its only in name that Baron Pierre de Coubertin called them the "Olympic Games".He could of called them the French Games if he wanted to.The Greeks should be praising the French for calling their games"Olympic" and giving them the honour of being the first host in 1896
There is a reason he gave the games the name "Olympic" and a reason he chose to have them reborn in Greece.

He didn't pluck it out of thin air.

Quote:
Simple truth is that the ancient Olympic Games(which basically was a religious festival in praise of a Greek god,Zeus) bears no resemblence to the Modern.

Culturally,spiritually..heritage ,spirit,peace etc etc or whatever crap you want to spin.
You really are playing into the whole lack of history and culture theme that is given to most Australians. Sports is sports. A race is a race. Throwing is throwing. Winning is winning. Competition is competition. Alot of things have changed during the thousands of years, and yes I don't see any praising of Zeus before the games, but the core of athletics, the events, the winners and losers, the emotions, the spectators, the pride, the CULTURE of sports is the same. This is something that should never change. Is should be the same core as it was with the Ancient Greeks, in Ancient times, only on a modern level. There is a very romantic, cultural and historic element to the Olympic games and Greece, for obvious reasons. The whole world recognizes this. To say otherwise and try to tarnish it is either jealousy, stupidity, or something along those lines.

Sounds alot like something Giorgos would do, if it wasn't Greek.... Which brings me to my next point. Funny how all those going 9 pages with him (and a few others) and coming down on him, are the same ones stooping to his level so to speak, and are keeping the conversation going (and seemingly enjoying it) for ever. I see no real difference between the two, trading insults, being ignorant, won't shut up, insulting to other cultures/countries/peoples (and this insn't to directed to anyone personally, nor to Giorgos personally, but to all taking part in 9 pages of "Athens vs Sydney - Greece vs Australia". It takes two to tango.)

And just some more things I wanted to touch on, about the drugs. Athens took good steps to stop cheaters. This is what the game needs. I wouldn't critisize this at all, as they could have easily sat back, tried to cover things up, let things go, and the like, and see athletes perform at amazing levels, breaking records and wowing crowds. It could have been nice and rosey. But they chose to stop the cheaters. The same cheaters that were cheating at Sydney. You know, Kenteris and Thanou for example. In Sydney they won medals. In Athens, they were caught as cheaters and put egg on the face of a nation and ripped the heart out of a whole peoples. (myself included). That my friends is no small feat, and nothing to belittle. That takes some ******* balls and as much as it hurt, I am glad that CHEATERS were braught to justice. I hope all who cheat are. And sadly, I am sure there are even more who are just better at hiding it who haven't been caught. Well, I hope it catches up to them also.

As for the economics, I for one don't put much stock into that. Because at this point the games have gotton so big, and each city is so different in circumstances, and so much potential benefit comes with them, a huge pricetag is bound to come along with it. Now a profit is never a bad thing, but not at the cost of huge overcommerclization and prostituting of the games. Something that I found rampant in the games which took place in the USA. Australia did pretty good in this respect I felt. Athens IMO did not do enough, but this is the angle they wanted. And even still they hit their ticket sale and revenue marks. But the potential was much bigger. The whole games themselves I can't help but feel had so much more potential then it showed. They ended up good, and we did it, and I do believe they are in the top 3 best games ever (Sydney and Barcelona the other two), but I don't feel we hit our potential and what they could have been. I don't feel we accomplished greatness, and that is mainly due to our own problems, and Greek mentality. And some outside influences not in our control such as terrorism and the media. But it is what it is. We could have, and had the pontential to shatter any previous games without a shadow of a doubt in my opinion. But we didn't....

Anyway, this post has been building up seeing this crap all over this particular forum, so I guess I am venting. Personally, I can go toe to toe with anybody who whishes to compare games and technical aspects of them. But i've gotton tired of it because most people don't really want that, only to show their own complexes and whatever else is stuck up their asses. And it gets tiring to try and prove to people that in the year 2004, the Athens stadium was more than a concrete bowl with a roof and had many state of the art things in it. Nobody really cares, they just like to say it over and over. Same with ticket sales, media, and whatever else is involved. So yeah, have fun with all of it.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #300
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
The ticket sales mentioned are certainly a valid personal reason for someone thinking it might be the best but they are not the only reason.
The historical link between Athens 2004 and the Ancient Olympics is a valid reason for me to feel Athens was the best. So why do you attack my opinion?