daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #301
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Lets start Fresh...

Athens was my personal favourite because it linked the games to its spiritual home.

Now give your opinion and stfu.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #302
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Perhaps the best Olympic should be judged from what the actual atheletes had to say. Based on articles I have read in the past the games in which the atheletes had the most positive experiences were Mexico, Calgary and Sydney.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #303
dANIEL2004

Athens had no problems in the organization during the Olympic Games.The city worked very well.Anyone doubts? The tickets which sold were much enough for a city of 4.000.000 and the oly sports which were not filled were these of some totally unknown to the greeks,such as handball.Thinking of the size(economical and the population)of Greece, hese Games were marvellous.Never before such a tiny country made a better organization.
dANIEL2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #304
rondeez
GO THE EELS!

Sydney was definitley the best planned.

And as a result Athens, Beijing and London have all asked Sydney organisers for helpful advice and assistance with their games.

I recall some part of Athens still being landscaped a few days before the games?? The trees were still seeds in the ground. In Sydney all the venues were operational years ahead!
rondeez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #305
rondeez
GO THE EELS!

I also recall quite a few EMPTY seats in Athens from watching it on TV.. especially at the start of the games.

Who cares if it is an unknown sport... in Sydney ALL THE SEATS were filled to the rafters.. from PingPong to Basketball to Kayaking etc.

The Aussies definitley got behind every sport.. we are a country full of sports fanatics after all!
rondeez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #306
Schroedinger's Cat
Krakus rodowity

Likes (Received): 6

I enjoyed most Olypic games in Atlanta
Schroedinger's Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #307
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeez
I recall some part of Athens still being landscaped a few days before the games?? The trees were still seeds in the ground. In Sydney all the venues were operational years ahead!
Well... not all
But yes Sydney has been the most prepared games that i have been around for it seems. 2008 shall be good to see.
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #308
SGoico
¡Sabadell!

Likes (Received): 2

1. Barcelona'92, they set the new era for olympic games

2. To share between Sidney'00 & Athens'04. I was a bit sceptic with the greek olympics, how wrong I was!

I also was dissapointed with Atlanta'96. They didn't make use of the experience gained at Los Angeles'84
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #309
Landos
BANNED

Quote:
The Sydney games were hailed as the rejuvenation of the Olympics, the whole world recognizes them as the best olympics ever.
LOL. Sorry, but I don't agree. If you read this forum, for instance, you'll find that it's mainly the Ausralians that think the Sydney games were outstanding. Everybody else mentions Barcelona, Athens or Munich. Take away the colloquial favoritism and Sydney was just another modern Olympics, nothing particularly memorable. Except the shrimp riding bicycles, of course. THAT was rather unique, no question.
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #310
Landos
BANNED

Hey, I have a new executive director!

At my place of employment. He's a Greek Australian, from Melbourne! Speaks fluent Greek, as well. Even speaks passable American, which I can understand after a fashion.

He says he came to the US to be "where the action is" in manufacturing. I'll have to set to work to get all those colloquial mannerisms of his remedied. Shouldn't take him long to learn te proper way of thinking-he's a Hellene, afterall!
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #311
Landos
BANNED

Quote:
Then why did the torch get stuck going up on international television? Besides, planning isn't the main criticism. Most criticism is that the Sydney Olympics were not particularly imaginative and were rather boring to use the proper word. No one remembers them only 6 years after the fact. At least nobody outside of Sydney, Australia.
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #312
Landos
BANNED

Quote:
In Sydney all the venues were operational years ahead!
Thats because they were dull, uninspired designs. Certainly no Calatrava contributed to the Sydney venues. You can tell that by just looking at them. Function, without any flare. They missed their chance to make an architectural statement.
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #313
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
Thats because they were dull, uninspired designs. Certainly no Calatrava contributed to the Sydney venues. You can tell that by just looking at them. Function, without any flare. They missed their chance to make an architectural statement.
don;t you bore yourself...? same old thing....bla bla bla
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #314
inzane

landos is just a hater lol
inzane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #315
inzane

maybe make a poll?
inzane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #316
megadrinker

all the canadian olympic were the best
megadrinker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #317
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadrinker
all the canadian olympic were the best
yeah i thought so too ....lol
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #318
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
Then why did the torch get stuck going up on international television? Besides, planning isn't the main criticism. Most criticism is that the Sydney Olympics were not particularly imaginative and were rather boring to use the proper word. No one remembers them only 6 years after the fact. At least nobody outside of Sydney, Australia.
It's funny how you say no one remembers Sydney 6 yrs on yet you have a detailed memory of many events

...and as for boring? the athletes leaving the athens closing ceremony half way though might consider it boring and unimaginative, like most of your comments.

Last edited by NavyBlue; October 29th, 2005 at 05:03 AM.
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #319
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 969

LOL
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #320
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeez

And as a result Athens, Beijing and London have all asked Sydney organisers for helpful advice and assistance with their games.

As opposed to no landscaping at all? Look at Both Olympic Parks and Compare from aerial views. Athens Venues shitted all over sydney. And Organisation?? Who cares when the Athens games were totally flawless...lets not forget the Torch incident in Sydney.. wow 6 years of organisation and 3 years to spare and the torch still gets stuck? Are you proud of that?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote