daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM   #401
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Hippies would have loved the Athens cauldron, being a massive joint & all!
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:30 PM   #402
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Barcelona's.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM   #403
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
oh yay its all starting again
Mo Rush attacking a small greek nation...shit ceremony,shit stadium,shit city....right Mo?
What is this shit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
LOL. Shrimp on bicycles.
Mo rush didn't start it, Landos did with his comment relating to the shrimps on bicycles which might I add was in the closing not the ******* opening. Glad you could even be bothered to get your facts correct.

Sydney gets my vote and most of it goes to the cauldron irrespective of it's small mishap. It is still for me the most amazing cauldron ever conceived for a games IMO. Sydney pioneered the first torch to be lit underwater as is. Their cauldron was as far as i know the first to ever use an autonomous cauldron with inbuilt gas reserves, and first to ever be lit while underwater.

Last edited by Avatar; November 23rd, 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM   #404
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
Greeks and Italians MADE australia. the country was nothing but Englands CONVICT DUMPLAND!

KEY WORD: DUMP
Excuse me? Did the Greeks and Italians colonise Australia? I don't think so, they certainly didn't make this country. If it weren't for the British there might not be a country - certainly not one like we know today and maybe not one so open to multiculturalism. You may not exist had it not been for the British colonising the great south land.

Glad to see you have bothered to learn our history. If you don't have the decency to respect the original settlers, our past history and our our country then get the **** out. Anyway the Chinese have done more for this country in the past 2 decades than most other immigrant groups could in several so don't kid yourself. The Italians have made a great contibution but what have our Greek immigrants done? In your case, very little but moan about how good the Athens Olympics was...

Last edited by Avatar; November 23rd, 2005 at 03:58 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM   #405
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

And raise the average IQs of both countries.

Seriously though, there's plenty of Greek people I know that aren't complete wankers. It's a shame that certain people do nothing but tarnish the name.

Last edited by invincible; November 23rd, 2005 at 03:31 PM.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM   #406
Perth4life3
Now Reborn :)

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
Greeks and Italians MADE australia. the country was nothing but Englands CONVICT DUMPLAND!

KEY WORD: DUMP

LMAO , your a fu<king idiot hey.

go back to school.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:23 PM   #407
Erektion

Likes (Received): 55

The Athen's Opening Ceremony TO ME was absolutely spectacular. It made me cry. It made me proud, and it told the most beautiful and elegant story of how it all began. Therefore, of course it was going to be fantastic.
On the other hand, Sydney's ceremony was equally spectacular for its time. I was there so I should know. The underwater images were devine. The Aboriginal scene incredibly dramatic and the tap dancing fuking hilarious!
Barcelona's ceremony was ground breaking. I've watched it many times on tape and still adore it's artistry and moving images. Hats off to the Spanish.
The rest of them? Some were great too but not so memorable. Unfortunately I never saw the Moscow Opening which I believe was truly ground breaking for its time.

A few interesting facts...
Barcelona's ceremony was created/directed by Ric Birch...an Australian who also created/directed Sydney's.
There were no shrimp/prawns or any other crustaceans on bikes/skate boards or even rollerblades in the Sydney Opening.
The Aboriginal culture dates back beyond 40,000 years. Ancient Australian Aboriginals deserve the respect that Ancient Greeks hold. Unless you are fully educated on both you are not able to pass comment.

...and finally, to those Greek girls on this forum trying to antagonise other forumers...get your hands off it!!! (you know who you are) It's a really low form of intelligence to attack highly intelligent people in this way.
Just because you're all gay and ridiculed at home by your bigger sister doesn't mean that you should call people names...and just because you're all quite ugly doesn't mean that you should make fun of people either. I know it's not your fault that you all turned out this way. I think it has something to do with inter breeding...?
(oh and if you didn't get it...I'm kidding :p)
Erektion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM   #408
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible
And raise the average IQs of both countries.

Seriously though, there's plenty of Greek people I know that aren't complete wankers. It's a shame that certain people do nothing but tarnish the name.
i dont think it has anything to do with being greek...i have awesome greek friends who i partied with sat night...some of these wannabe greeks dont even live in greece....some even live in australia but feel the need to bring australia down..its hilarious..
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:22 PM   #409
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
i dont think it has anything to do with being greek...i have awesome greek friends who i partied with sat night...some of these wannabe greeks dont even live in greece....some even live in australia but feel the need to bring australia down..its hilarious..

So are the Greeks in South Africa that you partied with on Saturday night "wannabe Greeks" also?

Would you be a "wannabe South African" if one day you had to move to another country for varying reasons?

However, as hard as this may be, I agree with you on this point:

I can't stand it when a people born to immigrants trash-talk the country they were born in. I don't care if you are Greek, Italian, Chinese, Turkish, whatever....If you don't like the country you live in, which has given so much to you, then get the **** OUT!

I am Greek citizen, have served in teh Hellenic military, and have had part of my education in Greece. However I was born in Canada and currently live in Canada. I love this country, what it stands for, its good reputation around the world, its peaceful ways, and all the other things it has done for me. Does this pride make me less of a Greek? No. Those that think it does can kiss my ass. They are weak individuals with nationalist tendencies....you know who you are.

Last edited by LEAFS FANATIC; November 23rd, 2005 at 05:29 PM.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM   #410
Mephisto

Likes (Received): 58

Very well said Erektion.
Mephisto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #411
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC
So are the Greeks in South Africa that you partied with on Saturday night "wannabe Greeks" also?

Would you be a "wannabe South African" if one day you had to move to another country for varying reasons?

However, as hard as this may be, I agree with you on this point:

I can't stand it when a people born to immigrants trash-talk the country they were born in. I don't care if you are Greek, Italian, Chinese, Turkish, whatever....If you don't like the country you live in, which has given so much to you, then get the **** OUT!

I am Greek citizen, have served in teh Hellenic military, and have had part of my education in Greece. However I was born in Canada and currently live in Canada. I love this country, what it stands for, its good reputation around the world, its peaceful ways, and all the other things it has done for me. Does this pride make me less of a Greek? No. Those that think it does can kiss my ass. They are weak individuals with nationalist tendencies....you know who you are.
maybe i was a bit extreme on the wannabe part...but i fully agree with u on the people who trash-talk the country they live in...
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #412
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC
Bravo LEAFS...Amen to that
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #413
LPCQ
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Barcelona 1992
LPCQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #414
LPCQ
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

1. Barcelona 1992
2. Sidney 2000
3. Athens 2004
LPCQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #415
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Here we go again with the "BEST -- b/sh*t of this or that... It is NOT the BEST -- but FAVORITE. Every one of us has a different set of standards, so FAVORITE is really the more apt and accurate classification-- NOT BEST.

My favorites:
1. Barcelona 1992
2. Salt Lake City 2002
3. tie between LA 1984 and Sydney 2000
rover3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #416
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Albertville 1992: the only one where a President participate to an "Ola"
Uhmm...wrong. Bill Clinton also did it in Atlanta in 1996.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #417
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]_Coast View Post
The 2010 games in Vancouver will feature a joint lighting the cauldron!
uhmmm...already done in Innsbruck 1976.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #418
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
SEOUL 88 off course the best clossing ceremony
Seoul 88 Closing was the gaudiest!!
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #419
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Melbourne 2006 was pretty awesome!

Sydney 2000 and Athens were also cool too
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #420
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

I liked the 96 Atlanta Opening ceremony only because President Clinton almost busted hard walking onto the field.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote