daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #41
NuSpirit
Registered Yoozer

Likes (Received): 0

vs. Shrimps on bicycles...hmmmm...
NuSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #42
dANIEL2004

Ok,forget the shrimps of Sydney. Can u tell me WHAT WAS THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT that Sydney gave to the games at the opening ceremony? Give me the connection between olympic spirit and Sydney s Opening please, but I think that there is not any such connection.
dANIEL2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #43
dANIEL2004

One of the greatest moment in my opinion in Athens ceremony,was the connection between the host city in the olympic stadium and the ancient olympic stadium in Olympia. For me was something very affecting and soulfull and the same for million of people around the world. Ancient value and modern era in connection. That is olympic games and that is a differrence between a great show and an O L Y M P I C opening ceremony.
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #44
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
Ok,forget the shrimps of Sydney. Can u tell me WHAT WAS THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT that Sydney gave to the games at the opening ceremony? Give me the connection between olympic spirit and Sydney s Opening please, but I think that there is not any such connection.

Daniel and other Greeks here:

Why do you keep trying to convince those that like the Sydney opening ceremenies the most that they weren't that great? Afterall, they are entitled to their opinions.

Some people just like circus theatrics and boring "MTV culture" styled entertainment.

Those of us who have over 3,000 years of history in our culture enjoyed the Athens opening ceremonies which was true to the Olympic spirit, artistic, dramatic, and contained what pyrotechnic experts call the best fireworks show EVER.

So, if shrimps on bicycles and MTV-generation culture is what some people liked, then so be it. When Beijing showcases China's incredible history in their opening ceremonies, these are the same people who will still cling on to their shrimp, clowns, and circus ceremonies and call them the best ever!
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #45
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Come on, Sydney s Olympics Ceremony was a bit silly,like a circus. Shrimp on bycicles are funny for a tv children show, no doubt ,but I dont see what they have to do with the olympic spirit . Athens was simple (but not poor,it was the most expensive ceremony)and ellegant
You don't understand. The Sydney Olympic opening and closing ceremonys showed all aspects of Australian life. They had the Aboriginal thing, then they also had the Victa Lawnmovers, Hills Hoists, TapDogs, And BTW, they were PRAWNS!!! Not shrimp. Australian prawns are the best. Massive king prawns, Garlic prawns, Curry Prawns, Chilli Prawns.

Anyways, back to the point, we also had the Bushranger-type horsemen, we had all parts of the Australian life. I can't really remember heaps, so yeah

DAMN IT!!! I WANT PRAWNS NOW!!!!!

Last edited by Macca-GC; September 28th, 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #46
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

Samantha#

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

Last edited by Skoulikimou; September 28th, 2005 at 04:13 PM.
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #47
dANIEL2004

Yea they show all aspects of Australian life, greeks did the same for greek life and history and chinese will do also the same with their history. But I asked to show me the little something that has to do with the olympic spirit on Sydneys ceremony. Without it any olympic ceremony becomes soulless.
As for the Athens ceremony, the concept was humanistic, as the greek culture is now and since 3000 years ago.Can u remeber the human in the center of the stadium trying to balance on a cube? It was something so great and high,it showed the value of the human individually and how the human can walk based in his logic. No relation with the mass of the actors and dancers in Sydney.
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #48
Fern

Likes (Received): 1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Samantha
Ah, Sydney like TOTALLY!!!
And just for your information many of the people that organised the athens opening ceremony were Australians as well.
Oh and the torch may have got stuck on the way up, but it was a far more interesting way to light the cauldron with all the water, than what athens did. And was the Athens stadium even full at the opening ceremony, because it sure as hell wasn't when the actual events were on.
Where's Sudney??
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #49
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC
Some people just like circus theatrics and boring "MTV culture" styled entertainment.
There was no "MTV Culture" styled entertainment. I think you missed the guys on the trumpets, and the horses, and the Aboriginal events (Which have absolutely NO connection with MTV at all). But hey, you're entitled to love Bjork! I had no idea what the hell she sung, and what she was wearing, and why she was moving so much, but if you call that "high-class music", then again, whatever turns you on!

Quote:
Those of us who have over 3,000 years of history in our culture
Hm, Aboriginal culture is worth 50,000 years of history. But if you're going to play the "my-culture-is-better-than-your-culture" game, then I think you yourself are one of the most uncultured people I've seen.

Quote:
which was true to the Olympic spirit
How the hell was it? All you did was show 15 minutes of Greek history and culture? Whats the difference between that and Australia showing 3 hours of history and culture? There is no difference. The only different thing was length.

Quote:
And contained what pyrotechnic experts call the best fireworks show EVER.
I don't want to come across as too patriotic (we've seen how degrading it is to be an ultra-patriot), but you haven't seen the Sydney New Years fireworks, have you? (And Iceland seems to have an awesome fireworks display in the New Year also)

Quote:
So, if shrimps on bicycles and MTV-generation culture is what some people liked, then so be it. When Beijing showcases China's incredible history in their opening ceremonies, these are the same people who will still cling on to their shrimp, clowns, and circus ceremonies and call them the best ever!
Isn't the Olympic spirit about a POSITIVE attitude? You obviously have one of the most negative, and competitive attitudes. You've also got one of the most immature and ignorant attitudes. Man, if you're gonna speak, at least do some research before you know what you're saying. Otherwise you yourself simply look like a clown. I found it great to watch; so did the majority of the world. But stick to your subjective ignorant opinions, and watch how far you get in this world.
Valeroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #50
Valeroso

Quote:
Can u tell me WHAT WAS THE OLYMPIC SPIRIT that Sydney gave to the games at the opening ceremony? Give me the connection between olympic spirit and Sydney s Opening please, but I think that there is not any such connection.
Then you're obviously highly ignorant who makes decisions subjectively based on his nation, as opposed to a decision that is objective. I think every single city that hosted the Olympic Games has generated its own Olympic spirit. (Even Atlanta ) First, should we define what the Olympic Spirit means? Sportsmanship comes to mind. I think thats been evident in every single host city. Then there has been the act of bringing all nations and people together, and as an Australian who experienced the games here, I can tell you that the Olympic spirit was definitely present here and the city was alive!

Quote:
Give me the connection between olympic spirit and Sydney s Opening please
Did you see the Olympic flame go up? Yes, thats right! An Aboriginal Australian lit the Olympic flame! The fact that this happened shows that as the world gathered together, Australia also gathered as one. I think one other element of the Olympic spirit is peace, no? If we compare this to the Athens torch saga, well heh, our athelete did no drugs, and the world knew who our torch bearer was. Where the hell was the Olympic spirit in yours?

Quote:
One of the greatest moment in my opinion in Athens ceremony,was the connection between the host city in the olympic stadium and the ancient olympic stadium in Olympia.
You can't just rely on something so simple to have the "best Olympic games ever"! If the games in Athens had bombs here and there, would you still think they were the best olympics just because it symbolised a "connection between the host city, blah blah blah"?

Quote:
Yea they show all aspects of Australian life, greeks did the same for greek life and history and chinese will do also the same with their history. But I asked to show me the little something that has to do with the olympic spirit on Sydneys ceremony. Without it any olympic ceremony becomes soulless.
But again, wtf did your opening ceremony do that showed that "little something"?

Quote:
As for the Athens ceremony, the concept was humanistic, as the greek culture is now and since 3000 years ago.Can u remeber the human in the center of the stadium trying to balance on a cube? It was something so great and high,it showed the value of the human individually and how the human can walk based in his logic. No relation with the mass of the actors and dancers in Sydney.
OH GREAT! A guy stood and walked on a cube for a few minutes! Man, that is the Olympic spirit right there! You no longer have to show me an opening ceremony anymore! Thanks for the Olympic spirit that you portrayed! But if you ask me, I still prefer the tap-dancing, the orchestra walking and forming the Sydney logo, knowing my torch bearer, AND, you guessed, my beloved prawns on bikes. Everyone is happy - the world is happy - Hello Olympic Spirit!
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #51
waustralia
Registered One.

Likes (Received): 5

I hate this subject....

Of course there's going to be an 'olympic connection' in the Athens ceremony. Ah, correct me if Im wrong. But didnt the olympic's start in Greece? And personally I cant remember crap from any of them... just Kathy Freeman waiting for the torch to come down (Sydney), and this dude flying over the water (Athens)! Anyway, Sydney was my favourite. Im Australian, and it relate's to me the most. Athens was awesome though, I loved how it was neat (Sydney was really messy), simple, but still got the message across!

And to the guys who cant respect other people's decisions. Shut the hell up!

waustralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #52
waustralia
Registered One.

Quote:
Sydney was hardly souless. But I guess being such an ignorant ****... you cant see that! And no I cant remember a person standing on a cube, its hardly a memorable moment that I would remember for the rest of my life. Maybe your reading to much into it... are you sure it just wasnt a 'person standing on a cube'. Kinda like the lake, was just a lake.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #53
dANIEL2004

OLYMPIC SPIRIT IN ATHENS CEREMONY: 1)Human scale (against previous ceremonies with mass of silly dancers) If u like seeing the man on the cube like an acrobat without the high symbolization that it had, then it is not my problem if u have not culture.
2) direct and indirect connection with Olympia.Olympia gave the first "OK" at the beggining to start the ceremony with a comet, Olympia also was the first station of huge travel, ending with a global torch relay and arriving in Athen's stadium.

And just for your education. History counts from the moment that exists writing in a culture.So the history in Australia is not older than few hundred of years(50.000......lolololololol!)
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #54
waustralia
Registered One.

How do you know Aboriginals werent writing poetry 50,000 years back?

Sydney showed Australia's development and culture. From the time of Aboriginals arriving to modern day. And like I already said, there's gonna be a connection in Athens, its were it started. NO other city will ever have that.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #55
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Samantha
Ah, Sydney like TOTALLY!!!

And just for your information many of the people that organised the athens opening ceremony were Australians as well.

Oh and the torch may have got stuck on the way up, but it was a far more interesting way to light the cauldron with all the water, than what athens did. And was the Athens stadium even full at the opening ceremony, because it sure as hell wasn't when the actual events were on.
Yea the Athens stadium was full. It was also full during every night of the track events.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #56
dANIEL2004

Even Juan Antonio Samaranch accepted that the Athens one was the best olympic ceremony ever . I dont have nothing with cultures of low level.I dont say that Athens was better because the greek culture are spaces more richer than the australian. But i say that it was given in a non-previous kind of show, far from the usuals, in terms of scenography and direction. For the first time Love was there, in a sport ceremony and "lovers" from different centuries wathced all the parade in a clever way. Technology was used in such a huge level in Athens but the result was not monstreus,was so simple and clear and thats why I think this ceremony put new high standarts for the next.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #57
Valeroso

Quote:
OLYMPIC SPIRIT IN ATHENS CEREMONY: 1)Human scale (against previous ceremonies with mass of silly dancers) If u like seeing the man on the cube like an acrobat without the high symbolization that it had, then it is not my problem if u have not culture.
So is the man on the cube all you had to offer? Well that's fantastic. But hm, I don't know. Prawns with bikes is looking pretty tempting to me.

Quote:
2) direct and indirect connection with Olympia.Olympia gave the first "OK" at the beggining to start the ceremony with a comet, Olympia also was the first station of huge travel, ending with a global torch relay and arriving in Athen's stadium.
Yeah yeah, all talk and no action. You can try to rely on your history, but that doesn't just mean that you can sit back and do absolutely nothing.

Quote:
And just for your education. History counts from the moment that exists writing in a culture.So the history in Australia is not older than few hundred of years(50.000......lolololololol!)
Haha, righto. Just for your education, history is not determined by how you think (or want) it to be determined. According to dictionary.com (that's right! A dictionary! Shock - horror!), History is defined as:

The branch of knowledge that records and analyzes past events

Hence, if the Aboriginal CULTURE is known to historians and is studied, then it's almost certain that it accounts for history. Jeez, if you can't consider it history, what would you consider it as? Use your brain! It's the little things that count.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #58
dANIEL2004

I know Valeroso, it sucks to be non memorable!! Try again with a more inspired ceremony after 200 years!
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #59
Valeroso

Well, some people chose Sydney in this thread, so I wouldn't exactly call it "non memorable". But with a good crowd attendance, perhaps we can move it up to 100 years instead.
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #60
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

ok i appreciated the the display of greek history and was interesting to compare it to what i have learnt, but come on pleeeeease it was crap boring, a little figure parade at an opening ceremony??? it was ok but thats all...dont use ur 50 billion years of history as an excuse for it being boring and mediocre..thats all, as for bjork??? i love bjork but it was boring and so was throwing a cloth over the athletes to represent the ocean, what was needed was an inspirational song....torch lighting was mediocre...the opening was also great better than sydney, the lazer/milky way was arugably the best scene ever in opening ceremonies in terms of wow factor but again this was anti-climaxed/juxtaposed with some rather mediocre elements, the cube was "ok" as well most of the concepts were excellent but how they were portrayed was not always the best of most imaginative....the cyclaic head was great and fascinating too i really enjoyed that,

sydney had its faults of course, the "human" element is not always a bad thing, the "wow" factor was certainly very high and the opening drew on the history australia did have...certainly for its time it was great, it didnt need to fill the stadium floor as such with water..it had its uniqueness as a whole the sydney opening was better for me, less sketchy a good range of scenes and climaxed in a dramatic flame lighting...

and yes there were visbly seats open during the athens opening, but thats ok i suppose, i also think having 110,000 spectators was just super, the energy from that alone was great...you may disagree....
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote