daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What has been the Olympic opening ceremony's most beautiful story
Barcelona 1992 20 16.67%
Sydney 2000 20 16.67%
Athens 2004 43 35.83%
Beijing 2008 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #61
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush

and yes there were visbly seats open during the athens opening, but thats ok i suppose, i also think having 110,000 spectators was just super, the energy from that alone was great...you may disagree....
What are you talking about? The opening ceremony was sold out. I watched it on TV and had the video, and it was definatley sold out.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #62
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Allianz Arena opening was great, i've seen it.
though it was relatively small compared to olympics etc.

2nd chance with the WC 2006 opening though
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #63
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
OLYMPIC SPIRIT IN ATHENS CEREMONY: 1)

And just for your education. History counts from the moment that exists writing in a culture.So the history in Australia is not older than few hundred of years(50.000......lolololololol!)
Talk about ignorance.

Get an education buddy and learn about Aboriginal art/dreamtime and their way of life and you might clear your dumb mind of your racial views.

pfff...******* racist idiots.
ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #64
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba
What are you talking about? The opening ceremony was sold out. I watched it on TV and had the video, and it was definatley sold out.
i actually dont want to argue i am sure it was sold out unfortunately sold out does NOT equal or mean all seats were taken...but not more than a few....its prob not even a significant amount...
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #65
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
Even Juan Antonio Samaranch accepted that the Athens one was the best olympic ceremony ever.
Bullshit, he didn't say that. He called the athens games one of the best ever. He called Sydney "The best Olympic games ever". The Sydney media made a big thing of it at the time.

btw...To all the peanuts playing the 'My history is better than your history' game, take a breath and read back through this thread and see how stupid you look.

Quote:
History counts from the moment that exists writing in a culture.So the history in Australia is not older than few hundred of years(50.000......lolololololol!)
Or maybe history counts from the moment it suits you
NavyBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #66
_Samantha_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

how dare you say those things daniel. Your opening ceremony was dead boring, so was your little flick at our closing ceremony. We had the best olympics ever and your just jealous
_Samantha_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #67
Zorba
Stadium Fan

I dont think that anyone is jealous. I can see many reasons why daniel may think that Athens had the best games ever. Let's face it Athens 2004 was an amazing Olympics.

I can also see why many people would think that Sydney 2000 were the best Olympics. They were also amazing.

In my opinion Athens was better since it was more meaningful to me. I am Greek so to see the Olympics return home was very special. It had a lot more sentimental value than any other Olympics.

And if you are only going to use how many tickets were sold as criteria for who had the best Olympics than Atlanta was the best Olympics ever since they sold almost 9 million tickets. Honestly I think that Atlanta was the one of the worst ever, regardless of how mant tickets it sold.

Also by that same standard Athens would be better than Barcelona and Seoul.

What I am trying to get too is that each person can believe what they want. It is not a matter of being jealous as there is nothing to be jealous about.

There has never been a "bad" Olympics or even an "ok" Olympics. They have all been great and I can see why anyone would call Athens, Sydney, Barcelona, etc.... the best ever.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #68
Landos
BANNED

I never said Sydney's ceremonies (both openning and closing) were "awful". I said they weren't particularly memorable. And I note that appears to be the majority opinion of just about every nationality here except for the Australians. Ok, fine. Their Olympics and they want to be proud of it.

But from the perspective of a non-aligned observer, I thought their ceremonies were bourgeois and given more to M-TV entertainment than to any deep, philosophical statement about the meaning of the Olympic Spirit or mankind's purpose. Compare their kitsch ceremony with Barcelona or Athens. Sorry, doesn't measure up. Or even come close. Way it is.
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #69
KamikazeTaxi

Personally I thought the Sydney ceremony was great but a little bit over-the-top in some aspects. On the otherhand, I thought the Athens ceremony was a little bit too sedate and it appeared to me that it was far more designed for television (the parade was great with the static tv shot.) I guess this is why I went for Barcelona which I think had a much better balance of style, sophistication and celebration.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #70
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

My bet is 2008 Beijing Olympic game. I am sure the chinese want to impress the world.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #71
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeroso
I don't want to come across as too patriotic (we've seen how degrading it is to be an ultra-patriot), but you haven't seen the Sydney New Years fireworks, have you? (And Iceland seems to have an awesome fireworks display in the New Year also)
err do some reserach before you post. the Athens games opening (or was it closing?) were declared the best pyrotechnic show EVER.

Sure sydney harbour is the BIGGEST but i mean WTF! its all just random uncoordinated fireworks going everywere. Look at Athens fireworks. they were SPECIAL
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #72
waustralia
Registered One.

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
I never said Sydney's ceremonies (both openning and closing) were "awful". I said they weren't particularly memorable. And I note that appears to be the majority opinion of just about every nationality here except for the Australians. Ok, fine. Their Olympics and they want to be proud of it.

But from the perspective of a non-aligned observer, I thought their ceremonies were bourgeois and given more to M-TV entertainment than to any deep, philosophical statement about the meaning of the Olympic Spirit or mankind's purpose. Compare their kitsch ceremony with Barcelona or Athens. Sorry, doesn't measure up. Or even come close. Way it is.
What is so deep and philosophical about a man standing on a cube? The theme of the Athens game's seem's to be 'mankinds purpose' and 'olympic spirit'. Good for you.. but I guess that wasnt Sydney's theme! It showed the history of Australia.

Each ceremony the host does something different, if Sydney had done 'mankinds purpose' do you think Athens would have done the same? Its all choreographers, and planners. Each game you have something different.

In 4 years time, 1 year after Beijing, the memories of the Athens ceremony will be the same as what you remember of Sydney's today.
waustralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #73
DrunKao

I loved the Athens 2004 Olympic opening ceremony. It was the best ever!! Forget the fact that it was the only I have probably ever seen It was still very special to me I even have the BBC broadcast of the 2004 Olympic opening saved on my computer. Kind of large at 2 GB; I've been tempted to delete it a few times for space, but I'm glad I didn't, as I can relive the moment any time I want!

The first Olympics I had ever seen were the 1996 Olympics. I was barely even able to watch it, and I don't think I was even able to see that opening ceremony. Unfortunately the Olympics just happened to be held while I was at summer camp. The funny thing is that I lived in Atlanta at the time. I guess it's pretty bad luck to just happen to be out of town during maybe the most important moment in Atlanta's history. I was very young and didn't understand the significants of the Olympics. I wish I could have gone downtown during the Olympics. Even if not to see any events, atleast I could have seen all the people, and the huge crowds gathered.

Anyone here have a particular moment during their favorite opening ceremony that makes it their favorite, or was it the whole presentation?

Maybe another reason I liked the 2004 Olympics so much is because the number 103 and 35 are pretty cool I love 3s!
DrunKao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #74
Roman_Bratny

Likes (Received): 14

Barcelona 1992

no doubt
Roman_Bratny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #75
dANIEL2004

Even the video with breathtaking plans from Greece nature and the ruins of Olympia that tv showed 2 minutes before the opening ceremony was much more impressive than the 3hours Sydney ceremony
dANIEL2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #76
vivayo
BANNED

Barcelona set a new standard, but then Sidney came with this awesome fireworks display all over the stadium and over the bridge, that Athens tried to match.
vivayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #77
Brice

Likes (Received): 167

Albertville 1992 by philippe Decoufle was the best
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #78
SOLOMON
North America USA-Canada

Likes (Received): 673

MOSCOW 80 the best opening ceremony in Olympic Games.
SEOUL 88 off course the best clossing ceremony
SOLOMON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #79
Valeroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
err do some reserach before you post. the Athens games opening (or was it closing?) were declared the best pyrotechnic show EVER.

Sure sydney harbour is the BIGGEST but i mean WTF! its all just random uncoordinated fireworks going everywere. Look at Athens fireworks. they were SPECIAL
Well sure, they were great the first time they went off, but they never actually changed much. They were pretty GENERIC if you could say after a while. The fireworks in Sydney aren't uncoordinated; they HAVE to be coordinated, and I think that Sydney Harbour is abit bigger than the Greek stadium, don't you think? Pft, no one needs people like you in this country. Leave now while you have the chance! We'll have the best of both worlds.
Valeroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #80
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

wtf! Sydney ios the same everyyear. Fireworks just pop from the harbour wow big ****s.

NOTHING Spectacular about them. same shit every year. take a look at the athens one MATE.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote