daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #1
speedblue47

Likes (Received): 1

INDIANAPOLIS | Cosmopolitan On The Canal | 84' | 6 fl | U/C

This is a solid project for Indy, and I thought that creating a real thread for it in Development News might allow more people to consolidate their photos and information on this development in one place. News is slow in Indy right now, so we have to focus on what is actually getting done.

As a side note, I wish each Midwestern city of appropriate size(number of posts a month/ number of active threads) could receive it's own forums.

Thanks for the info or pics that anyone might have!
speedblue47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #2
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Good idea. Here are the renderings:

Here are the latest construction photos I have on my blog (sorry, they're dated at this point):

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2008/05/ph...an-update.html

The building at Senate and Michigan is up to about 5 stories at this point. They started pouring concrete at canal-level last week.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

This is a very solid infill project that will add even more people to the NW quad. I really hope that there are a handful of pubs/restaurants that locate in the retail spaces as dining on the Canal is great. I was at Buggs Temple last weekend and not a seat to be found on the patios. If we could get some outdoor seating adjacent to the water, what a nice atmosphere. A lot of opportunites are being missed down there.
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #4
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

A couple of pics I took on Friday.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #5
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Good progress already. It'll provide some nice density. What did it replace?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #6
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
An empty lot.

With so many low and midrise projects using steel, it's a little shocking when you see all of that wood framing. Gonna be a great structure for the street and the canal.
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #7
ak72

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
An empty lot.

With so many low and midrise projects using steel, it's a little shocking when you see all of that wood framing. Gonna be a great structure for the street and the canal.
One empty lot down, pleanty more to go. Hopefully the wood framing will keep costs down and the condos will be more affordable. We need more projects like this on the canal, for a city with no natural views, we need to make the most of what we have, the canal is Indy's most underutilized asset.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #8
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

I like this design. It is sleek yet timeless.
I am not sure about the wood though. The wood used today for construction isn't typically the best when it comes to aging. Hopefully they are using good lumber. I'd hate to see the beauty have to be collapsed 50 years from now.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #9
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Its not common(if it happens at all anymore.) for new developments to replace anything of any historic value. Just look at a photo of Indianapolis from 1901 and you will know why.
Also this city is overflowing with history buffs.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #10
IndyYeah

What do you all seriously think of the wood? I brought it up once that I thought in the 1980's I saw a skyscraper in Kansas City get topped with wood and whatever covering. Maybe that is the norm, not a slam, but is this going to be common with at least the lower rises?
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #11
speedblue47

The wood is only used for the residential portion of the project. I have been told this is common in low-rise mixed use projects as it allows the developer to keep commercial-grade construction for the retail, and less-expensive construction for the residential. This will allow the pricing structure for each element to be independent of each other. Smart idea, but it does look strange until it is covered with the facade.

Seeing that picture just shows how much that is going to change that corner of Senate. Over at the INDYpendent, I am (still) working on my Senate Ave. project, which has ended up being the most time consuming project I could have imagined. Especially when you are in business for yourself and have clients keeping you up all night. But, back on topic, this is truly the mold from which the rest of this corridor should be cast. There are so many sites here that are way underutilized, and basically ignore their proximity to the canal. Hopefully, some of these landowners and management companies will see fit to call me back some time soon....
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #12
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblue47 View Post
There are so many sites here that are way underutilized, and basically ignore their proximity to the canal.
Completely agree. The whole east side between St. Clair and 10th is begging to engage the canal. One of the warehouses along there has been for sale for probably 3 or 4 years, at least. They must be asking too much. I used to have a link to the real estate listing for it but I can't find it anymore.

I also just posted some new construction photos on my blog:

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2008/08/ph...-on-canal.html

Here are a couple extras I didn't use there:

Old August 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #13
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Looking at the second photo up above, they must have really wanted to make an impression with that corner structure, i.e. get it up really quickly so people can visualize the building. I'm not a carpenter, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but what other reason could there be to build five stories tall at the corner without a single piece of lumber on the remainder of the concrete platform?
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #14
OSUBucks#1

When looking at the wood structure, it makes me think it would be great to have a building of this density include some natural wood cladding as opposed to the brick we see everywhere.

OSUBucks#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #15
ak72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Looking at the second photo up above, they must have really wanted to make an impression with that corner structure, i.e. get it up really quickly so people can visualize the building. I'm not a carpenter, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but what other reason could there be to build five stories tall at the corner without a single piece of lumber on the remainder of the concrete platform?
I think they just wanted to make an impression as the building will cover the whole platform.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #16
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Cosmopolitan on the Canal Siteplan

Other schematics and elevations are available at this old blog post:

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2007/12/de...-on-canal.html
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #17
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Please pardon my gushing, but I think I have a little bit of a crush on this project. The more I see of it, the better it gets. Such a smart and attractive design. It engages both streets and the canal while allowing for a plaza like feel on the canal side. And someone from the Merrill Tower project needs to take some notes on how to integrate and hide a parking structure. This project should be the bar for infill in Indy.

Me----><----The Cosmo
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #18
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

FYI, these are not condos, rather apartments. I see many more apartment projects poping up around the canal to accomodate the huge influx of students to IUPUI / Medical Scool / Law School
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #19
speedblue47

I agree cory. IUPUI has stated that they are looking to transition to a more traditional university, with students who live on or near campus. I think this is the best possible news for downtown, for it will allow many dense infill projects to go up on the underdeveloped west side and will create a new vibrancy to the street life that should lead to increased retail choice. I always hoped a private university would move downtown to do the same thing, but it looks like the way IUPUI is doing it might work out better for the city. The seem to be soliciting private developers to build and operate the dorms and having the students pay from their own pocket(or student loans). This not only has the above benefits, but allows the city to see increased tax rolls for Central Township. Hopefully that can help towards solving other issues with the city core.
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #20
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
Please pardon my gushing, but I think I have a little bit of a crush on this project. The more I see of it, the better it gets. Such a smart and attractive design. It engages both streets and the canal while allowing for a plaza like feel on the canal side. And someone from the Merrill Tower project needs to take some notes on how to integrate and hide a parking structure. This project should be the bar for infill in Indy.

Me----><----The Cosmo
I know what you are talking about with that garage. And the Merrill Tower will be a highrise, and appearing to take up some land. What I am getting at, is use common sense in hiding the garage, and I wish that the approval process would take it into heavy thought. Even if the land is very much of a limited nature, the plan of concealing a parking garage has been done well on many a project.