daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #21
speedblue47

Likes (Received): 1

There are buildings in Dallas and Fort Worth where they use the building's facade over the garage. Not sure how they get by with that considering the issue of the emissions build-up. I would hope that there becomes an understanding that parking needs to go under a building or on the street.

I solemnly swear, when my development business gets off the ground(and I'm serious), I will not build a surface lot or have the building parking show on the street face. I have some ideas for how to make sure this is never needed. Now if only this land in El Paso would sell faster...
speedblue47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #22
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I am confident in the City's Planners and am pretty positive that the garage has been thoroughly discussed.

I have mentioned this before, but the Clarian Lab north of the Canal that has the ground level parking was such an issue for me when I was still on staff. It is a very poor design, especially for such a heavy pedestrian area, doe snot engage the street and is ugly. Lilly has some of the best examples of good parking design in the City.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #23
speedblue47

You know Cory, I poured the concrete for the Bugg's Temple project(the new ramps and wrap around), and I can say that I think I saw a pedestrian maybe three times that wasn't me the whole time. I think that is sad, but most people usually just use the street-side parking to visit any place they want, especially in the Stutz Center.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #24
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1221

I was talking to someone in the planning offices at the city - and was told that this project - with its wood and cement mix of construction - is a special project that required a variance to allow this type of construction. This style is referred to as "5 over 1". It allows five floors of wooden construction over a first floor and foundation made of cement. (I guess normally, anything taller than three (or 4?) stories must be made using concrete construction for the building's basic skeleton.)

Its a big deal - because it allows the cost to be less. Hopefully this same style could be used in many other places to build more affordable - (yet good looking? hopefully) projects - thus allowing lower rental or purchase costs for the units. (And more people able to afford to live in them.) I think a bunch of six story buildings on the many surface parking lots would be exactly what is needed. This "5 over 1" construction style has been used quite a bit in Seattle, I was told.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #25
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedblue47 View Post
You know Cory, I poured the concrete for the Bugg's Temple project(the new ramps and wrap around), and I can say that I think I saw a pedestrian maybe three times that wasn't me the whole time. I think that is sad, but most people usually just use the street-side parking to visit any place they want, especially in the Stutz Center.
Now that Buggs is completed as well as Fairbanks Hall and the other new structure, the foot traffic in the area has increased dramatically. Certainly, when the lab was U/C and Buggs was not even started, I agree that the traffic was light, however, since it is a different story and everytime I walk by, I lower my head in shame. If Clarian had any planning foresight, they could have used the groud-floor space as retail/restaurant space that would have linked with the Canal!
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #26
speedblue47

Believe me, I would have loved that. I never even wanted to walk the canal at lunch because the only people I would ever see was the occasional jogger with their dog. And I was a "scary" looking construction guy at the time, so I would get the stare down the whole time. I just think I got spoiled by my time on the River Walk when I was stationed at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. That is truly an incredible project down there, and that is mainly because the parallel streets are so close to the River that the building are forced to be right ON the river. But from what I understood it took some years and a few bright individuals before they converted their lower levels for retail. If West/MLK and Senate were tighter to the Canal, maybe the same thing would have happened.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear that that 11th St. node is seeing more foot traffic. There were some quirky places to grab a drink there that looked like they could use some more business.
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #27
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

(Repeated from the main Dev thread. Should have been posted here instead.)

I put some new pictures of the Cosmo on my blog, mostly from the canal side.

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2008/08/ph...rom-canal.html

Here are a couple extras.

Old August 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #28
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Thanks for the pictures. It is nice to see this project under construction.
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #29
GarfieldPark

Yea, the downtown apartment projects are going pretty strong right now. The Waverly with about 180 units just opened, the cosmopolitan is under construction with about 218units planned and the Paramount looks to be moving along as another strong apartment project with "518 beds" (I'm not sure how many apartment units that represents - but maybe between 250 and 300 in a newly designed 6 or 7 story building along Capitol Avenue.
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #30
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Saw today they were putting the windows in, can't wait to see the brick work going up.

Last edited by indyfiend; October 14th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
indyfiend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:44 AM   #31
quigley
Brandon

quigley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM   #32
cwilson758
Cory

The canal side is seeing work too. They have erected (uhh, huh huh, I said "erect") walls on the canal side. This prject is going to fit-in nicely
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #33
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The canal side is seeing work too. They have erected (uhh, huh huh, I said "erect") walls on the canal side. This prject is going to fit-in nicely
Uhh, huh huh, you said cANAL, uhh, huh huh
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #34
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Is the brick facade starting to take shape?
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #35
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
Is the brick facade starting to take shape?
No brick work yet. It looks pretty odd right now, actually. The upper floors appear to be largely finished while the ground floor, retail sections don't even have walls up yet, let alone the brick exterior.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #36
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
No brick work yet. It looks pretty odd right now, actually. The upper floors appear to be largely finished while the ground floor, retail sections don't even have walls up yet, let alone the brick exterior.
The upper floors must be "more important" to get done and correctly possibly because the weather and climate conditions. Cold and going to get colder outside.
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #37
quigley
Brandon

I'll make sure to get some pics taken possibly next weekend but it looks like they are starting to lay the brick.

I'm always surprised at how massive this project is, especially when coming from Michigan St.
quigley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #38
GarfieldPark

Yes, its looking real good now. Make sure to take some pictures from the canal side if you get a chance. Its amazing how the canal-side view has changed - from an open two or three acres of vacant land to a fantastic urban, waterfront corridor. I like the look of the balconies also. I'd love to see the continuation of these five - six story buildings - filling up the surface parking lots in the NE quadrant. Hopefully the Paramount will get started soon - another six story residential project just a block and a half east of the Cosmopolitan.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #39
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I'd love to see the continuation of these five - six story buildings - filling up the surface parking lots in the NE quadrant.
Agreed.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #40
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
[I](

Holy crap, a little ways to the right of the concrete wall is a skull! :o
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote