daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #61
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Very attractive.
I like the mixture of older styles with newer styles.
To some level, it looks like a cake.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #62
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I was poking around the building this past weekend and discovered that there will be a swimming pool on the second level in the setback area along the canal. That should be pretty nice come summer time to be able to hang out by the pool while overlooking the folks on the plaza and canal below. I don't have a camera - so can't show pictures. It would be nice if someone would take some photos of how this looks from the canal. Obviously completely different. Three months ago there was an open hill and large space between the Ind. Historic Preservation Center and the southernmost residences in the WaterMark Townhomes. Now there is a four story wall of residences in that space. Makes for a great, urban pedestrian corridor by the water. Wonder what types of restaurants will go into the canal side spaces?
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #63
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Do you mean this part, GarfieldPark?

From where I was, I couldn't see what was going on up the second level of the courtyard, but that would be interesting if they're putting a swimming pool there.

Here's a shot of the wall effect you mentioned:

Unfortunately, only the southern segment will have a retail space. The northern segment will have a couple of individual steps up to some two-floor residences. An unfortunate decision -- I'm guessing they did that as a concession to the Watermark residences right there.

By the way, I took almost 60 shots of the cosmo this weekend. I didn't want to overwhelm the board with a ton of them, but I can post more if people want to see more.

Last edited by CorrND; February 12th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #64
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

I don't know why I kept thinking that the Cosmo was not going to be part of the canal area. At least some retail will be offered. You know, that whole canal area is filling in more-they really need some retail, places to sit, relax, buy pop, read the paper etc.. What is the retail like now, anything there? I have not been in this area or by the houses-condos.
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #65
GarfieldPark

CorrND: Yes - your first picture above shows the place where the pool will be. It will be on that upper level of that cemented area set back a little from the canal, above the plaza. Right behind where that temporary wooden 2x4 fence is sitting. Thanks for the pictures. Yes - that shows the nice urban wall of residential all along there. The view from the north - looking southeast, from the other side of the canal - across from the Cosmopolitan would show a nice view also -- possibly with the skyline behind it. I'd love to see a few more of your pictures. Probably not all 60 -- but I wouldn't mind another 10 or so of the best shots! Thanks again.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #66
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I didn't want to overwhelm the board with a ton of them, but I can post more if people want to see more.
You know we always want to see more!
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #67
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Ok, you asked for it! Apologies, the quality sucks on a couple of these photos but I still think they show interesting things.

Note how the setbacks of the Historical Landmarks Foundation (brick foreground), Cosmo (bare wood) and Watermark Townhomes (white, in the distance) don't line up.

This is a bit of an optical illusion, but the balconies for some apartments will be fairly close to the HLF.

Existing Senate retail: AJs Lounge at the SE corner of Senate and North.

The backside of the northern canal-front segment, with the lovely Watermark Townhome barrier in the foreground.

The backside of the apartment building at the SW corner of Senate and North, with the Cosmo parking garage.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #68
CorrND
Moderator Chris

And here's some info for the canal-front sections. You can see in the rendering that the northern/left segment has steps up to private residences. There are four canal-front, two story residences and then four more standard flats above that (two per floor).

The southern segment will contain the retail space. As far as the designs I've seen, it can be one large space or can be subdivided into two spaces. I've labeled my picture from the previous post with the uses that should be in each area:

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #69
IndyYeah

Are those buildings still supposed to be in line, like houses in many areas? Was not sure in an urban core if they have to be on a line? The Cosmo looks really nice, even the angled tower element. The place does not look cheap like I was thinking it may. Nice so far.

Last edited by IndyYeah; February 14th, 2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #70
GarfieldPark

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2007/12/de...-on-canal.html

This link to CorrND's "Dig-B blog site shows some site plans for the project - including one with the swimming pool - in about the seventh site plan diagram down, entitled Courtyard Siteplan. The pool is the rectangle right in the middle. Looks like there is some type of apt. renter's rec room / lounge just to the east of the pool. Very nice.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #71
GarfieldPark

I'm not sure why, but the link above didn't seem to be connected up right when I tried it. If you go back to page 1 of this thread - there is a post from CorrND that mentions additional site plan drawings on his blog site. When I linked to that -- I found the additional site plans. Thanks for the many pictures CorrND!
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #72
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Yeah, this is coming along quite nicely. I hope other projects can look to this for a good example of what good infill looks like.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #73
IndyYeah

Indy is getting some things right. Now bring on a Flatiron!
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #74
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

Pretty Legit Infill ! If only the canal were lined with Projects like this .
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #75
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I wish we could wave a wand and have our Canal be like the SA RiverWalk.
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #76
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Noticed yesterday that the brick on the south side of the building is being installed, and it looks very attractive!
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #77
GarfieldPark

I think Indy's canal is pretty good the way it is -- and it continues to improve. It is slowly but surely becoming more mixed. I think there were good things about the large amount of residential that got built in the early years of the canal. With the Cosmopolitan, there are now over 1200 units of residential with well over 2000 new residents living on the canal (plus two hotels). Those people helped strengthen the retail / restaurant scene in other areas of downtown. I think the canal area is getting better. Its great to see the other improvements and planned improvements in the area as well. Along with the Cosmopolitan, the Bugg's Temple stuff, medical research offices at the canal's north end, the plans for Paramount, planned commercial development in the NW part of the IUPUI campus, and a few more restaurants along Indiana Avenue -- are all making this area better and better. I like the way the improvements are happening not only on the canal but in the neighboring areas. That is one thing that I have found when visiting San Antonio: there is plenty going on along the Riverwalk - but often the areas at street level nearby are pretty dead. Hopefully the steady growth and mix of uses along the canal will help make the entire NW quad of Indy grow. I do wonder what is going to happen along that two block stretch on the east side of the canal between St. Clair Street and the IU bio-tech incubator building. It is one of the few, large developable areas left. A good mixed use building would be good there. Some first floor canal side retail / restaurants, maybe a north building near the incubator with more tech / research space while a southern building wing would have a few floors of residential above the commercial. Another five or six story building filling that area would be good.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #78
GarfieldPark

Yes the new brick work looks very good. No more blue and tan "birthday cake" look anymore.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #79
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

It's just so "office park" and not as urban as I would like in terms of retail and mixed use. I do agree that the amount of eisdential along the canal is great and should make any location of retail less risky.
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #80
GarfieldPark

Yea, I remember back in the early days when they were just starting to lower the canal (early 80's) there were still some of the original (early 1900's) brick industrial, warehouse type buildings along the canal. There was one in particular - on the east side of the canal - either between Ohio and New York or between New York and Vermont -- that was a classic five story brick warehouse building. It would have been great to have seen it turned into loft apartments or condos (with first floor bars and restaurants). Unfortunately it got torn down. A few more of those old brick buildings would have given more of a feel of the old history of the place -- the old canal days and early industrial history of Indianapolis.

That is all pretty much gone when you go to the canal now. About the only remnant of those early days is the brick building by the NCAA headquarters at the last west-bound turn in the canal - before it runs to the river. (This lack of old brick buildings is probably part of the general issue that you were thinking about Cory in saying how parts of the canal area now look like an office park.) Keeping more of the old would have helped give it a more urban and historic feel - but then again - I don't know if it would have been possible to get the wide walkways in and lower the canal if we had tried to keep the old brick buildings sitting where they were. Anyway -- on a related note -- I do like the new brick they are putting up on the Cosmopolitan - and it does seem to be a good brick color that seems to fit the color of some of those old brick industrial warehouse buildings that were built throughout downtown Indy in the late 1800s and early 1900s.