daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #81
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
I think Indy's canal is pretty good the way it is -- and it continues to improve. It is slowly but surely becoming more mixed. I think there were good things about the large amount of residential that got built in the early years of the canal. With the Cosmopolitan, there are now over 1200 units of residential with well over 2000 new residents living on the canal (plus two hotels). Those people helped strengthen the retail / restaurant scene in other areas of downtown. I think the canal area is getting better. Its great to see the other improvements and planned improvements in the area as well. Along with the Cosmopolitan, the Bugg's Temple stuff, medical research offices at the canal's north end, the plans for Paramount, planned commercial development in the NW part of the IUPUI campus, and a few more restaurants along Indiana Avenue -- are all making this area better and better. I like the way the improvements are happening not only on the canal but in the neighboring areas. That is one thing that I have found when visiting San Antonio: there is plenty going on along the Riverwalk - but often the areas at street level nearby are pretty dead. Hopefully the steady growth and mix of uses along the canal will help make the entire NW quad of Indy grow. I do wonder what is going to happen along that two block stretch on the east side of the canal between St. Clair Street and the IU bio-tech incubator building. It is one of the few, large developable areas left. A good mixed use building would be good there. Some first floor canal side retail / restaurants, maybe a north building near the incubator with more tech / research space while a southern building wing would have a few floors of residential above the commercial. Another five or six story building filling that area would be good.
I've been wondering that as well. One of the warehouses fronting the canal (east side, immediately south of 9th) has been for sale for years. The asking price must be prohibitively high, because that seems like a prime location to me.

I mentioned this on my blog at one point and you touched on it as well: I hope for a thriving street-level around the canal. And I hope for that BEFORE a big push to bring more retail and restaurants to the canal. Otherwise you’re depending too heavily on the canal itself to be the drawing point for the businesses and the canal is simply not a place where people want to go very much during the winter. Businesses will always have a hard time making it through the winter because of that fact. If you create a whole neighborhood around the canal – I’m looking at you, Senate – I think you’ll be much more likely to be able to sustain canal businesses through the winter.

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #82
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I've been wondering that as well. One of the warehouses fronting the canal (east side, immediately south of 9th) has been for sale for years. The asking price must be prohibitively high, because that seems like a prime location to me.

I mentioned this on my blog at one point and you touched on it as well: I hope for a thriving street-level around the canal. And I hope for that BEFORE a big push to bring more retail and restaurants to the canal. Otherwise you’re depending too heavily on the canal itself to be the drawing point for the businesses and the canal is simply not a place where people want to go very much during the winter. Businesses will always have a hard time making it through the winter because of that fact. If you create a whole neighborhood around the canal – I’m looking at you, Senate – I think you’ll be much more likely to be able to sustain canal businesses through the winter.
Indy as well as alot of cities in the rust belt need more things to do for the winter. Even the bigger cities fault on this topic.
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #83
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post

Ohhh look at the serifs! What is this print?
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #84
CorrND
Moderator Chris

The Cosmo is on fire.

The canal side is almost completely gone. There's still a fire raging at the center of the complex but it looks like the Senate side is still standing.
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #85
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

just got on line to post the same.........OMG. Total devestation. I hope they rebuild and I hope that local developers start backing off of all this wood construction.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #86
CorrND
Moderator Chris

More photos on my blog.

http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2009/03/ph...o-burning.html
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #87
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 38

According to the IndyStar, F&C claims they are going to rebuild as soon as possible as it is their "signature property". Read more here http://www.indystar.com/article/20090312/NEWS/90312002
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #88
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

For the love of god, they better not use wood!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #89
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Jesus Christ- what a total mess!!

Let's rebuild quickly. I am sure the insurance will cover the damages.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #90
_ttam_

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
For the love of god, they better not use wood!
I read that the buildings sprinkler system was not yet commissioned. If this had happened a few weeks from now, the story might have been different.
_ttam_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #91
IndyYeah

The wood issue was brought up last year. I was not keen on it, but I understand"Cost" has something to do with these types of building practices. Maybe in the future materials should seriously be considered for many reasons. "Cost" savings for materials may not be a great way to build.
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #92
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 496

Some work like the foundation work should be salvagable, so a rebuild could happen rather quickly.
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #93
quigley
Brandon

Today they have cranes taking out the debris. Lets hope the rebuild can begin immediately after the site is cleared.
quigley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #94
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman0 View Post
Some work like the foundation work should be salvagable, so a rebuild could happen rather quickly.
True, foundation work is the most time consuming part of a construction project.
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #95
IndyYeah

I don't feel it will happen immediately, or quickly. Too many issues with a building that was not complete. Maybe I am wrong, but insurance, and contractors and investigating, and other issues involving this project. Seems like an expensive,fairly large building, and I just don't see it all happening quickly.
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #96
Indywatch

You are probably correct. I'm guessing it will be at least a year before they start rebuilding, and another year and a half to complete. Look how long it took and is taking to redo the Regions Tower. Insurance claims move SLOW.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #97
IndyYeah

Bad enough building is not happening enough all around, and I don't see money just going out in a hurry over a fire destructed building. Insurance companies and money it seems to me,work differently these days.
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #98
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
I don't feel it will happen immediately, or quickly. Too many issues with a building that was not complete. Maybe I am wrong, but insurance, and contractors and investigating, and other issues involving this project. Seems like an expensive,fairly large building, and I just don't see it all happening quickly.
Assuming there was no foul play involved by the builder, I suspect it will take a couple months for construction to "resume".
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #99
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

Arson

IndyStar says it was arson.
FC says they hope to rebuild in 6 months to a year.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #100
CorrND
Moderator Chris

That article says they're going to save the facade! That's great.

I wonder what this means for the retail spaces. They were untouched by flame and are made of concrete, so the water shouldn't have done much. Maybe they could be opened sooner than the rest of the rebuild? As a nearby resident, that's the piece of this project I really care about most anyway.