daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #121
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Almost 100% that's advertising for the Cosmo. That's a OneAmerica parking lot -- it would quite a silent coup if Flaherty & Collins had purchased it without anybody having heard a thing!

That said, this is definitely the first lot that OneAmerica needs to look at unloading. It's not even proximate to their building, it's relatively small (around 158 spaces according to my finger count), and it's a prime location for development.

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #122
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

That triangular lot has been in and out of development limbo for years. Way back in the early 1990s it hosted a proposal for the Disciples of Christ Headquarters, who owned the parcel at the time. D of C decided not to build anew and ended up locating on Washington Street (as we can often see by their chalice logo). Having seen their renderings for this parcel, it is probably best in hindsight that they didn't develop--the result would have been even more suburban looking than Anthem Headquarters. With greater attentiveness to urban design considerations in this day and age (hopefully), the final result for this property will be a lot higher quality.
AmericanDirt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #123
cailes

Likes (Received): 102

As of last night. Parking garage light was on. Leasing office lights were on. Ive seen a lot of random lights on for rooms on upper levels and what looks like ceiling fans, so I wonder, is this now open for move in??

There was a sherrif car parked at the entrance to the parking garage, so they are keeping this patrolled pretty regularly at night still

cailes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #124
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I can't seem to find the report now, but I know Flaherty & Collins spokesman Mark Conover was quoted at some point as saying that the fire had set the project back approximately 10 months. Residents were originally scheduled to begin moving in in May '09, so if they're still 10 months behind, that would mean residents would start moving in March '10.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #125
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 187

I was walking by and saw this project from the canal side today. It is really quite impressive and is very large. I believe this may be the best building on the canal other than the few historical structures.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #126
mrgilpin

Likes (Received): 0

Was down at Cosmo last week installing some signage and snapped some pics. The leasing office is definitely open for business.

Enjoy!
mrgilpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #127
CorrND
Moderator Chris

There was a piece on WTHR just a little bit ago about people moving into the Cosmo:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=12014351

218 apartments when complete
86 are finished
47 are leased
10 are occupied

The canal-level space has been rented to a coffee shop called the 'Left Bank' that will open in May. They state that they've had some interest in the street level space (they always say that) and they are primarily interested in a attracting a neighborhood bar and grill.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #128
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
There was a piece on WTHR just a little bit ago about people moving into the Cosmo:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=12014351

218 apartments when complete
86 are finished
47 are leased
10 are occupied

The canal-level space has been rented to a coffee shop called the 'Left Bank' that will open in May. They state that they've had some interest in the street level space (they always say that) and they are primarily interested in a attracting a neighborhood bar and grill.
Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's
benjaminooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #129
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's Please don't be an applebee's
I don't know, maybe an Applebees or its ilk would actually get more Indyans to consider using the canal and pave the way for some other local eateries to join the party in the future.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #130
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I don't know, maybe an Applebees or its ilk would actually get more Indyans to consider using the canal and pave the way for some other local eateries to join the party in the future.
That's a good point. Maybe a chain or two will open peoples eyes to eating down there which would make it significantly easier for local businesses to make some headway.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #131
cailes

Gordon Beirch LOL

We ran into one of those in Atlanta right on peachtree in the middle of downtown. I had never heard of it, but it fit pretty well right on the street. I think a place like that would go over well at a location like that.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #132
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Gordon Beirch LOL

We ran into one of those in Atlanta right on peachtree in the middle of downtown. I had never heard of it, but it fit pretty well right on the street. I think a place like that would go over well at a location like that.
That's not a bad idea. Chain brewpubs are really cool in that, even though they're chains, they still make the beer on-site and employ local people to do so. That neuters some of the anti-chain mentality. And there's nothing like fresh beer -- Bud's got nothing on the freshness of brewpub beer.

In particular, Gordon Biersch is an interesting suggestion because it's one of the only national brewpub chains that doesn't have an Indy location. They've already moved into the midwest in IL and OH, so IN would make sense for them. The only question is whether the Cosmo retail space would be large enough for the restaurant, kitchen AND brewery necessary for a brewpub.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM   #133
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I agree...whatever it takes to get people to realize that the Canal is Indy's waterfront, by all means.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #134
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

It can either be recognizable and mediocre, or it can be unknown and great enough to make it a destination. There is a line that should be walked between it being local and great and it being all corporate chains and a zoo. In my mind the last thing that I want is Clay Terrace of food on the canal. I want restaurants and culture like the near west side of Chicago... not the normal ubiquitous Simon Malls culture of the north side of Indianapolis/Hamilton sprawl. A known anchor could be good, but it could be a slippery slope.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #135
cailes

The one thing that I read (maybe it was the urbanophile?) that as an urban area is that you dont want to be seen as offering what the suburbs have. So you make a good point Eddie.

At least Gordon Beirsch isnt something that is ANYWHERE here, but doesnt mean that once they plant one down, it wouldnt spread...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM   #136
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I took a leasing tour of the Cosmo on Saturday. I was very impressed -- they did a nice job.

One interesting point I learned is that Mo' Joe is going to be running The Left Bank, the canal-level coffee shop. Smart move by Mo' Joe -- I was wondering if they were worried about losing any business to a new coffee shop that close. This way they hedge their bets. And it's a good move by the Cosmo to get someone to take the canal space that clearly knows what they're doing in the area.

Also, the leasing office is currently being housed in what will eventually be one of the Senate Ave. townhomes, so mrgilpin's pictures above are of an actual residential unit. The kitchens are very pimped out for Indy apartments. The long-term leasing office is in part of the building that isn't finished yet.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM   #137
cailes

I walked on the canal last night with my camera and took a few shots. When I get them off and resized, I will post them.

My wife said she wants to live there. I mean, we own in Broad Ripple, and she wants to move there. LOL
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:53 PM   #138
CorrND
Moderator Chris

We'd love to live there too. There's a bit of sticker shock, though, as 2BR apartments START around $1500/mo. The most expensive units, the 4 right on the corner of Senate and Michigan, go for $2900/mo.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM   #139
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
One interesting point I learned is that Mo' Joe is going to be running The Left Bank, the canal-level coffee shop. Smart move by Mo' Joe -- I was wondering if they were worried about losing any business to a new coffee shop that close. This way they hedge their bets. And it's a good move by the Cosmo to get someone to take the canal space that clearly knows what they're doing in the area.

So will they keep Mo' Joe open? I know from personal experience that the bulk of their morning business is quick stop traffic heading on campus.... they might not get that if there isn't convenient access at the street level. I hope they get it right, I like that shop and the staff.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM   #140
randella

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
We'd love to live there too. There's a bit of sticker shock, though, as 2BR apartments START around $1500/mo. The most expensive units, the 4 right on the corner of Senate and Michigan, go for $2900/mo.
for indianapolis? good luck... especially considering it is wood framed! i can't believe they would build something like this without using concrete. anything over three or four floors should be built with higher standards.
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote