daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #281
delawhere

Likes (Received): 0

In the most recent round of transportation funding (FTA's transit in national parks), Baltimore received a little over a million to purchase 2 new buses and expand one of the circulator routes to Ft. McHenry.

This is a good thing for the upcoming 200th anniversary of the bombardment of the Ft. and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner!
delawhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #282
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 3

I am jealous of the DC streetcar plan.
the planned finish date on the whole system is in 7-10 yrs!

here are the alignments:

http://ddot.washingtondc.gov/ddot/cw...7C34060%7C.asp

Wisconsin Avenue pushes for a streetcar
they have a facebook group as well: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=264242402429

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-88598262.html

Push on for Wisconsin Ave. streetcars
By: Kaitlin Schluter
Special to The Examiner
March 21, 2010

Special to The Examiner
A group of D.C. residents along the Wisconsin Avenue corridor are clamoring to bring streetcars to their neighborhoods.

Project maps currently show a plan to build 37 miles of streetcar track in the D.C. area -- a hefty undertaking that began construction in Anacostia last year. On area maps, that proposed route is marked by dotted lines.

"We want more than a dotted arrow, we want some track on the ground," said Ben Thielen, head of the Wisconsin Avenue Streetcar Coalition and a Glover Park resident.

Thielen's group has asked the District Department of Transportation to study the feasibility of a route alignment along Wisconsin Avenue to provide places like Tenleytown more access. Thielen prefers an alignment where two lanes of streetcars would replace curbside parking. He says the change will relieve congestion in Georgetown as people will be more apt to ditch the car keys if another transit option is available.
According to DDOT spokesman John Lisle, the uncertain future of the line may be determined by community support.

"The dotted line represents the possibility of putting a line there if that's something the city and residents and businesses in Georgetown all agree is a good idea," Lisle said.

According to the DDOT's report in October 2005, the Friendship Heights to Georgetown corridor had received high ratings in terms of potential streetcar ridership, accessibility and minimal environment impact. However, the report states the area is "already highly developed and does not include any city economic development initiatives."
But support appears to be growing. The Coalition's Facebook page is up to 146 members, the D.C. chapter of the Sierra Club is endorsing streetcars along Wisconsin Avenue, and the organization is trying to line up backing from more commissioners with advisory neighborhood committees.

"If you look at the density and need for mass transit and connection [between neighborhoods] -- it's a no-brainer," said Brian Cohen, ANC commissioner for Glover Park and Cathedral Heights.

Not everyone wants streetcars in the neighborhoods. Glover Park resident Alan Carpien said they would add to congestion to the area, noting the streetcars were originally taken out of the area and should be kept that way.

"I can't think of anything that would ruin the neighborhood more than a streetcar line and, frankly, this is a bad idea," Carpien said.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...#ixzz0kWfenFIW
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #283
Ty Doggie
Brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthaBmore View Post
Just had to post this, i was blown away:

NYCENESS!
Ty Doggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #284
Dank City
D.C.

Likes (Received): 18

I read on Wikipedia that MARC's Penn line is the fastest commuter rail line in the country at 125m.p.h. has anyone else heard that?
Dank City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #285
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank City View Post
I read on Wikipedia that MARC's Penn line is the fastest commuter rail line in the country at 125m.p.h. has anyone else heard that?
NJT will soon hit 130mph , with our new Electric Locos.....
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #286
scando

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank City View Post
I think the cars are certified for 125 MPH, but the trains never actually go that fast. Considering that it takes about 1 hour 5 minutes for a 40 mile trip, you can do the math. I ride the Penn line with some regularity and my guess is that it gets up to about 80 on a few short stretches, but when the Acela goes past, the MARC looks pretty pokey.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #287
Itus

Likes (Received): 10

Red Line Update?

MTA Announces Improvements to Red Line
Tunnel Enhancements, Other Improvements Included in Request for Federal Funding

The Maryland Transit Administration’s (MTA) request for funding for the Red Line will include $121 million in key enhancements to the project announced last summer, including a two track tunnel under Cooks Lane in western Baltimore City. The Red Line is a 14.5-mile light rail line that will serve communities between Woodlawn and the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and enhance the regional transit network with connections to the Metro Subway, Light Rail and MARC Train. In announcing his selection of the route in 2009, Governor O’Malley recognized the potential for efficient, dependable transportation to provide access to job opportunities for corridor residents.

To comply with strict federal standards for cost effectiveness, the previously-announced Red Line Locally Preferred Alternative only included a one-mile single track tunnel under Cooks Lane. Subsequent refinements to the ridership forecast provide additional project benefits that offset the additional cost of the second track of the Cooks Lane tunnel--- a high end signal system; enhancements to the train maintenance facility to be constructed on Calverton Road; a crossover in the three-mile downtown tunnel; and four additional light rail vehicles to handle increased ridership. With all of these enhancements the current capital cost estimate for the Red Line is $1.778 billion, in current dollars.

MTA’s goal has been to design a project that would receive a “medium” rating for cost effectiveness by the Federal Transit Administration. The cost effectiveness rating captures capital costs, operating and maintenance costs, and ridership-related user benefits. Prior to a recent federal policy change, a transit project was required to achieve a medium cost effectiveness rating and a medium overall project rating to advance through the approval process. While the recent policy change will remove the medium cost effectiveness threshold as an absolute requirement, the Red Line will still be competing nationally, and a lower cost effectiveness number will help in that competition. The current range for a project to achieve a medium rating is $16.00 to $24.99. The updated Red Line has a cost effectiveness of $22.77.

Red Line ridership estimates have increased as a result of using the most recent and updated set of land use and demographic forecasts adopted by the Baltimore Metropolitan Council, incorporation of the findings from a 2007 survey of MTA riders, and a more detailed analysis of both home-based and non-home based travel patterns. The year 2030 ridership forecasts for the Red Line are projected at 59,200 trips per day, up from 54,000 in August 2009.

The MTA is currently working with the Federal Transit Administration to move the Red Line into the Preliminary Engineering phase of the project. This includes a review of all aspects of the project by the FTA. Preliminary Engineering is scheduled to begin in late summer 2010 and take approximately two years to complete. Assuming funding is available, Preliminary Engineering would be followed by Final Design, with construction underway after 2013. This summer, station area advisory committees comprised of community representatives will begin meeting to help the MTA design the 20 stations planned for the corridor.

http://www.baltimoreredline.com/home...ts-to-red-line

---

I just noticed this and have no idea when it was announced.

Relevant FAQs:
http://www.baltimoreredline.com/loca...sked-questions

Why are you updating the LPA now?

Since the LPA was announced, MTA has continued to refine the forecast of project benefits and cost estimates in preparation for a request to the Federal Transit Administration to enter a process that will eventually lead to federal funding for the project. This additional work showed that we could support enhancements that would make the Red Line more reliable and less costly in the long run. All of these enhancements had been considered previously but were removed from the LPA last year to meet federal requirements for cost effectiveness.

What are the specific changes?

Changes include the following:
Double Bore Cooks Lane Tunnel $67 million
Yard & Shop Improvements $15 million
Full CAB Signaling $16 million
Increase Length of Underground Crossover to Allow 10 MPH Operation $7 million
Increase Vehicles from 34 to 38 $16 million
Total $121 million

If the cost has increased why has the cost effectiveness improved?

The project cost effectiveness has decreased which is a good thing (our goal is to have the most benefit for the least cost). This is a result of increased ridership which means increased user benefits. The increase in user benefits more than offsets the increase in cost.

Why did the ridership forecast increase?

Since August 2009, the travel demand model used to estimate ridership has been improved. Average daily ridership is now 59,000. The primary reasons for the increase in ridership are as follows:

1. The model used Round 7A, the most recent and updated set of land use and demographic forecasts adopted by Baltimore Regional Transportation Board. Round 7A includes, among other enhancements, far more residential development in the downtown area.
2. The model used MTA's 2007 rider survey. The Phase I model used 1996 survey data which was the best available at the time. The 2007 survey showed significantly higher level of transit dependency and off-peak trip making than the prior model.
3. Ensured distribution of trips for home-based work travel is reflective of the patterns observed in the Journey-to Work data from the U.S. Census. The improvements made in representing this key market translated into a much improved and more sensitive model.

What is the justification for adding a second tube to the Cooks Lane tunnel?

The Cooks Lane tunnel is a one-mile segment of the Red Line. This is the only portion of the 14.5 mile project that was proposed as single track in August 2009, which was done to help achieve the medium cost effectiveness rating. Single tracking would have supported the headways needed for 2030 ridership, but is not ideal because it would result in service disruptions if the track is blocked and it would be more costly to construct the second tube in the future. This was of particular concern to citizens and elected officials, including, in particular, the District 41 delegation and the Red Line Citizens Advisory Council.

[additional Q&A is on the linked page]

Last edited by Itus; April 28th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Itus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #288
scando

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itus View Post
MTA Announces Improvements to Red Line
Tunnel Enhancements, Other Improvements Included in Request for Federal Funding

The Maryland Transit Administration’s (MTA) request for funding for the Red Line will include $121 million in key enhancements to the project announced last summer, including a two track tunnel under Cooks Lane in western Baltimore City. The Red Line is a 14.5-mile light rail line that will serve communities between Woodlawn and the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and enhance the regional transit network with connections to the Metro Subway, Light Rail and MARC Train. In announcing his selection of the route in 2009, Governor O’Malley recognized the potential for efficient, dependable transportation to provide access to job opportunities for corridor residents.

......http://www.baltimoreredline.com/home...ts-to-red-line

---

I just noticed this and have no idea when it was announced.
Looking at the source code for the page I found a graphic dated April 2010, so I guess this is fresh. It is an interesting development since I looked and MDOT's budget documents and didn't see anything about the Red line. I was wondering what was going on. I'm glad to see that it isn't dead due to budget problems.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #289
Liam0711
Birdland Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

This is very good news for the Red Line project and the Baltimore community. Having a single track tunnel for one mile just didn't seem to make sense. I'm looking forward to the construction of this mammoth project and hope it helps Baltimore in offering a more cohesive mass transportation system.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #290
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Doggie View Post
NYCENESS!
Reminds me a lot of DC's metro. I hope they get this done right.
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #291
NorthaBmore

I'm with ya on that one.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #292
Liam0711
Birdland Enthusiast

Ehrlich would scrap Red Line, Purple Line light rail

The Sun's Julie Bykowicz reports from former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s small business round table in Montgomery County that the presumptive Republican challenger to Gov. Martin O"Malley would scrap the incumbent's proposals for light rail lines in Baltimore and the Washington suburbs.

Ehrlich told the group he go back to his plan for high-speed buses on the Purple Line in Montgomery and Prince George's counties and be "open to ideas" about Baltimore's Red Line. He said he would prefer to spend the money on the MARC commuter rail system and the Washington Metro -- not on these new light rail lines.

On an unrelated transportation matter, Ehrlich said he doesn't like the toll levels that have been approved for the Intercounty Connector, though he was not clear about whether or how he would change them. It was under Ehrlich's administration that the highway was approved as a toll road, though the actual rates were not set by the Maryland Transportation Authority until after a market study conducted under O'Malley.

In supporting rapid-bus service along the Purple Line, Ehrlich would be going against the preference of most local leaders in suburban Washington, where support for the Purple Line plan runs high in spite of a roughly $1.6 billion price tag.

The Red Line light rail plan has the strong support of Baltimore business and civic leaders but has aroused opposition in some neighborhoods, including Canton and Edmondson Village, where plans call for it to run on surface streets.The cost of that plan was recently revised up to roughly $1.8 billion.

The state has applied to the federal government for funding of the two transit lines as light rail projects. If approved, the federal share of the cost would likely be 50 percent -- leaving Maryland to raise the other half. The O'Malley administration has put off any decision on funding until its hears from the Federal Transit Administration on whether it will approve either project.

On the ICC tolls, Ehrlich could face a dilemma if he wins the election. If ICC tolls are cut, largely for the benefit of Washington-area users, it is not clear how the transportation authority could make up the lost revenue without raising tolls at its existing toll facilities -- including those in the Baltimore area.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #293
BaltimoreSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam0711 View Post
Ehrlich would scrap Red Line, Purple Line light rail

The Sun's Julie Bykowicz reports from former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s small business round table in Montgomery County that the presumptive Republican challenger to Gov. Martin O"Malley would scrap the incumbent's proposals for light rail lines in Baltimore and the Washington suburbs.

Ehrlich told the group he go back to his plan for high-speed buses on the Purple Line in Montgomery and Prince George's counties and be "open to ideas" about Baltimore's Red Line. He said he would prefer to spend the money on the MARC commuter rail system and the Washington Metro -- not on these new light rail lines.

On an unrelated transportation matter, Ehrlich said he doesn't like the toll levels that have been approved for the Intercounty Connector, though he was not clear about whether or how he would change them. It was under Ehrlich's administration that the highway was approved as a toll road, though the actual rates were not set by the Maryland Transportation Authority until after a market study conducted under O'Malley.

In supporting rapid-bus service along the Purple Line, Ehrlich would be going against the preference of most local leaders in suburban Washington, where support for the Purple Line plan runs high in spite of a roughly $1.6 billion price tag.

The Red Line light rail plan has the strong support of Baltimore business and civic leaders but has aroused opposition in some neighborhoods, including Canton and Edmondson Village, where plans call for it to run on surface streets.The cost of that plan was recently revised up to roughly $1.8 billion.

The state has applied to the federal government for funding of the two transit lines as light rail projects. If approved, the federal share of the cost would likely be 50 percent -- leaving Maryland to raise the other half. The O'Malley administration has put off any decision on funding until its hears from the Federal Transit Administration on whether it will approve either project.

On the ICC tolls, Ehrlich could face a dilemma if he wins the election. If ICC tolls are cut, largely for the benefit of Washington-area users, it is not clear how the transportation authority could make up the lost revenue without raising tolls at its existing toll facilities -- including those in the Baltimore area.

So he says the state can't afford transportation improvements then he wants to cut tolls? Can't have it both ways.

We need to develop transportation in Baltimore/DC that is not based on cars and buses. Not a fan of this policy from Ehrlich. The state would receive federal money for both the red and purple line projects. It would create several new jobs in MD. It seems like pandering to the right to me.
BaltimoreSports no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #294
Itus

New Westside Red Line video was unveiled at the May 13 meeting...

http://www.baltimoreredline.com/video
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #295
Jkosmides

Quote:

UGH! Just build it already! So cool, Its too bad that we can't push it through 10x faster. Just show a video of the Green line in boston and how much development that has around it (c-line in particular).

(RIPPING MY HAIR OUT, RUNNING OUT OF MY OFFICE, SCREAMING) "WE NEED MORE TRANSIT!"
Jkosmides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #296
sdeclue

I'm a big Ehrlich fan (and not an O' Malley fan at all) but Bobby boy is not thinking clearly with BRT. Nobody wants to ride that. People would just take the MTA buses if that's what they wanted to do. I understand there would be a dedicated lane, but this would be a similar mistake to that of the light rail. Here's the thing. If mass transit is not significantly faster than driving or does not drop you off right where you need to be, very few people are going to use it. I'd rather sit in my car, listen to music, etc.

The key is that it needs to be fast, and anything that runs on the street surface and has to stop at lights is going to be verrrry slow. Light rail in it of itself is slow before taking into consideration that it has to stop at lights. Baltimore, as expensive as it may be, needs to try and start over and tunnel as much as possible downtown. Once out downtown, run it above the street like the Metro in DC often does.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #297
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ip_record.html
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...=5923#comments

May 20, 2010
MARC sets new ridership record
As Yogi Berra might say, is MARC getting so crowded that nobody rides it anymore?

The Maryland Transit Administration says the commuter rail line recorded a new high in daily ridership in April with an average of 34,617 boardings a day -- up 4.2 percent from the same month last year.

The MTA said ridership on the Penn Line was up 3.5 percent, while the Camden Line posted an impresive 8.9 percent jump. Boardings on the Brunswick Line, which runs between Washington and West Virginia, grew 3.1%.

MTA Administrator Ralign T. Wells pointed to passenger growth at BWI Marshall Airport as one of the factors in MARC's growth.
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #298
sdeclue

Is anyone having trouble viewing the new redline video? The old one works fine but the new one just suddenly stops for me 30 seconds into it.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #299
Itus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Is anyone having trouble viewing the new redline video? The old one works fine but the new one just suddenly stops for me 30 seconds into it.
no problems here. as of yet I think no one has put the video into an alternative format (ie. youtube) unfortunately.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #300
urbanaturalist

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Very cool. Eagerly awaits the Downtown and eastern portion videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ip_record.html
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...=5923#comments

May 20, 2010
MARC sets new ridership record
As Yogi Berra might say, is MARC getting so crowded that nobody rides it anymore?

The Maryland Transit Administration says the commuter rail line recorded a new high in daily ridership in April with an average of 34,617 boardings a day -- up 4.2 percent from the same month last year.

The MTA said ridership on the Penn Line was up 3.5 percent, while the Camden Line posted an impresive 8.9 percent jump. Boardings on the Brunswick Line, which runs between Washington and West Virginia, grew 3.1%.

MTA Administrator Ralign T. Wells pointed to passenger growth at BWI Marshall Airport as one of the factors in MARC's growth.

^I'm glad I could help set that record.....
urbanaturalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote