daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3512

3 days in Berlin

I spend 3 days in Berlin and the following pics are from the first day

My "hotel"

My assitent

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #2
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

Not bad for a city this.. Berlin eh?

Cool pics, I like the different angles you captured of the city. One thing I've never seen was that fist on the first picture, where actually is that? Pretty nice heh.

thanks!
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #3
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4267

Its a shame how Germany neglects its public greenery. In in front of important buildings, the grass looks brown and neglected.
Don't they have gardening service in Germany?

The rest is nice though, except the hotel you stayed in. Looks run-down IMO.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #4
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Those are some great shots! That's quite the fist!
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8831

Excellent shots of what is probably my favourite city in the world.

Did you get out of Mitte much?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Great show Tom, Is this your first time in Berlin? What do you think of this city? Personally I really would love to live there. Your photos just make me want to go back right now :O)
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Its a shame how Germany neglects its public greenery. In in front of important buildings, the grass looks brown and neglected.
Don't they have gardening service in Germany?
How true. This is one thing that really dissapoints me about Germany. It always looks so scruffy, even around the most important sites.

It’s not that much hard work to cut grass and maintain public spaces, but with all the things that Germany does well, this is certainly not one of them. Often, the grass is two feet high along street curbs and filled with rubbish. I really think this is something that Germany must work on. But it’s odd, ever since I first visited Germany in 1995 this was what I saw. It was in fact one of the first things I noticed about Germany, poor public maintenance.
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

Excellent work. Spent three days in Berlin quite lately as well and absolutely loved the city. It certainly has the same metropolitan charm as say, Paris yet it has something undiscribely unique to it.

Heck, this is awesome! How on earth did you manage to avoid the reflections, dirt and all that? The photo is just so amazingly fresh and clean.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 914

Nice pics! Berlin is such a great city!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3276

Yes...really great pics, Tom! Well done!

The Mercedes-Benz building on Potsdamer Platz is so damn ugly! Is it new? It looks like '60s!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #11
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

God I wish I lived in Berlin.

Coolest city on planet Earth.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #12
tykho
Out of Control

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post

Coolest city on planet Earth.
I second that!
tykho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #13
plus ratio quam vis

Likes (Received): 422

ehhhh

it's better to have some grass uncuted than boast of beautiful and spot on city centre when just few miles away from it plenty of stinking and backwarded little boroughs exist - check out london
plus ratio quam vis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3512

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post
Not bad for a city this.. Berlin eh?

Cool pics, I like the different angles you captured of the city. One thing I've never seen was that fist on the first picture, where actually is that? Pretty nice heh.

thanks!
Thanks.
The fist stands next to Neue Nationalgalerie.

goschio
I have seen this only in Berlin. Frankfurt spend much more money for the landscape.
My hotel is a youth hostel
It don`t need to be nice, just cheap.

Svartmetall: I visited many parts of the city. Kreuzberg for food

Justme: Yes it was my first time in Berlin.
The people are nice and the city is more relaxed but i was a little bit disappointed. I expected more great architecture, modern and old. Maybe it`s because i am spoiled. In my sig you can see which cities i have visited.
For the capital of thew 3rd largest economy Berlin is not that impressive.

Jape: I pressed my camera on the window and covered it with a black shirt.

@all: thanks

First half of the second day

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus ratio quam vis View Post
it's better to have some grass uncuted than boast of beautiful and spot on city centre when just few miles away from it plenty of stinking and backwarded little boroughs exist - check out london
Then Berlin has something in common with London, as all those stinking little boroughs that you wrote about in London have their equivalents that are just as bad in Berlin. Of cause, minus the trimmed grass and maintenance you find in London ;O) Maybe you ought to open your eyes a bit more.

Anyway, I'm not going to knock Berlin. Like the rest of Germany it does suffer this lack of spending on it's upkeep, but it's still a great city and one of my four favourites, London, Paris, Berlin and Barcelona (no particular order). I could live in Berlin anyday and damn I'd enjoy it.
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Far be it for me to turn this into a slagging match about London vs Berlin, however, I do find that London suffers from more of an unequal distribution of wealth than Berlin and it shows in certain areas. Gated communities with barbed wire and electric fences are far more common in eastern London than they are in Berlin, and I hate to add as a Brit that the crime rate is generally a bit higher in London.

But I digress. Excellent second set of photos, Tom. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Berlin much!
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #17
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Far be it for me to turn this into a slagging match about London vs Berlin, however, I do find that London suffers from more of an unequal distribution of wealth than Berlin and it shows in certain areas. Gated communities with barbed wire and electric fences are far more common in eastern London than they are in Berlin, and I hate to add as a Brit that the crime rate is generally a bit higher in London.

But I digress. Excellent second set of photos, Tom. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Berlin much!
Like yourself I don't want this to get into a competition either, but I have to disagree with you. There are parts of Berlin which are just as hideous as the bad parts of London. As for crime statistics, I wouldn't be so hasty. For a start, London is a much bigger city and a much larger global center. Bigger cities do tend to have larger crime figures and being such a global center, it does attract organized crime more. There are also vast differences between how either country defines crime. This has been discussed quite a bit on these very forums here. But even if you compare statistics between countries (which is never accurate) The UK has less crime in many cases to New Zealand per capita (or very close) and many people perceive NZ to be a much safer place. (You can compare statistics on Nationmaster)

Also, I'm not British, so I'm not trying to place my home country or city above another. I do visit London a lot, as I do Berlin and London certainly doesn't feel less safe than Berlin. It has just as many grotty neighbourhoods but it does maintain it's self at a higher standard.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Like yourself I don't want this to get into a competition either, but I have to disagree with you. There are parts of Berlin which are just as hideous as the bad parts of London. As for crime statistics, I wouldn't be so hasty. For a start, London is a much bigger city and a much larger global center. Bigger cities do tend to have larger crime figures and being such a global center, it does attract organized crime more. There are also vast differences between how either country defines crime. This has been discussed quite a bit on these very forums here. But even if you compare statistics between countries (which is never accurate) The UK has less crime in many cases to New Zealand per capita (or very close) and many people perceive NZ to be a much safer place. (You can compare statistics on Nationmaster)

Also, I'm not British, so I'm not trying to place my home country or city above another. I do visit London a lot, as I do Berlin and London certainly doesn't feel less safe than Berlin. It has just as many grotty neighbourhoods but it does maintain it's self at a higher standard.
I know you're Australian mate and not British, we've had a talked before on here many times in case you forgot. I'm the British one here!

I won't make any more comments on the London vs Berlin issue, however, I will say that I certainly feel safer in the UK than I do in NZ with reference to your use of crime statistics - the crime rate in Auckland is shocking to say the least so there is some truth in the comparison. The only time I've been a victim of crime has been in the short time I've lived in Auckland too, which of course adds to my perception that Auckland is unsafe. If you want to discuss this further though, you can shoot me a PM and we can discuss it outside of a photo thread.

Anyway, I think we both agree at least that both London and Berlin are fantastic cities.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
For the capital of thew 3rd largest economy Berlin is not that impressive.
Please don't forget it's history! You can't compare Berlin with other capitals.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #20
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post

Anyway, I think we both agree at least that both London and Berlin are fantastic cities.
This part I can agree with mate