daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #21
plus ratio quam vis

Likes (Received): 422

[QUOTE=Justme;23995674] Then Berlin has something in common with London, as all those stinking little boroughs that you wrote about in London have their equivalents that are just as bad in Berlin. Of cause, minus the trimmed grass and maintenance you find in London ;O) Maybe you ought to open your eyes a bit more.

i do open my eyes everyday and what i see is southall, hayes, greenford

- believe me it's almost like the third world - damp, rats, garbage and dirt literally everywhere - fortunately i'm leaving this place soon
plus ratio quam vis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #22
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus ratio quam vis View Post
i do open my eyes everyday and what i see is southall, hayes, greenford

- believe me it's almost like the third world - damp, rats, garbage and dirt literally everywhere - fortunately i'm leaving this place soon
I never understand people who desperately hate a place they live in but still live there. If it's so bad, move out. Besides, this neighbourhood in Berlin eagerly awaits you.
image hosted on flickr

Anyway, let's just let everyone enjoy Toms wonderful photos of this lovely city, and you can start up a thread of your own on how much you hate your life (sorry, where you live)
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #23
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
The people are nice and the city is more relaxed but i was a little bit disappointed. I expected more great architecture, modern and old. Maybe it`s because i am spoiled. In my sig you can see which cities i have visited.
For the capital of thew 3rd largest economy Berlin is not that impressive.
Come on... You know Berlin had tough times. Heaviliy damaged by war, divided, partly isolated, communism, it lost almost all important companies... Today Berlin is very poor compared to other german cities.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #24
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Come on... You know Berlin had tough times. Heaviliy damaged by war, divided, partly isolated, communism, it lost almost all important companies... Today Berlin is very poor compared to other german cities.
But Berlin expected that the growth will come without doing anything. The BBI airport should have been completed in 2000.

But let`s be honest i want Berlin to be succesfull.

And to all: Please stop comparing Berlin to other cities. Berlin is Berlin

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #25
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
But Berlin expected that the growth will come without doing anything. The BBI airport should have been completed in 2000.

But let`s be honest i want Berlin to be succesfull.
I think Berlin will be a success. It already is in international eyes. Berlin has done a fantastic job in promoting itself and it's changes since the days of the cold war ended. The problem is that it still is not taken seriously by Germans. The German government thought that German companies and population would flock to the new capital but they didn't take into account that Germans are very provincial people at heart and nowhere near as mobile as many other country's. This is changing but it is a slower process than anticipated.

Berlin is now, in my opinion, Germany's most exciting city. But as you discovered with your recent visit, it still needs more work. That will happen though and given time it really will shine out like it deserves to.

I think the first thing it needs is more people. It does seem a little empty at the moment in parts.

Quote:
And to all: Please stop comparing Berlin to other cities. Berlin is Berlin
Good point. I apologize for my part in shifting the theme of this thread.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #26
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8820

Yep, I agree with all those points there Justme! I personally can't wait to try to get a place to do my PhD in Berlin as I, too, think it is one of the most interesting and exciting cities in Europe.

I also apologise for my role in taking the thread off topic and away from your excellent photographs. Do you have any more to share at all?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #27
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

awesome shots Tom , maybe i'll fly to berlin this autumn, can't wait to be there again
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #28
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Bur this gritty atmosphere and an incredible history (especially during the 20th century) is what makes Berlin very special. It certainly is one of the hippest European capitals at the moment. It's become a sort of the center for young people, especially artists and free-minded individuals. It doesn't matter if Berlin is being ignored by Germans, it's not by people from other countries. Many foreign young people are moving to Berlin because of Berlin: it's a developing cultural centre with quite reasonable prices compared to other capitals.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #29
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
It doesn't matter if Berlin is being ignored by Germans...
Well...I'm a German and I love Berlin. I visited the city three times and I live in southwest Germany (which is not very near to Berlin). I think it would be a great mistake to say Berlin is being ignored by Germans because it's simply not true. Berlin is an every day topic in the media / music in Germany and it would be different to find a German who doesn't like the city of Berlin.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #30
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Let's say that Germans (western Germans) have a very special relationship with Berlin. They don't see it as a capital in traditional sense like in other countries. Berlin is part of the poorer eastern Germany foso many west Germans don't like it because of that. I think with time these differences will diminish, but we shouldn't forget that Germany and Berlin were divided for more than 40 years.
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #31
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3508

I will continue with pics.
If they get boring, sorry for that. But it was my first time in Berlin and i wanted to visit the most famous places. I know you have seen this places in hundrets of pics before.

There was a guy with a sign "Wanted: Testdriver" My assitent couldn`t resist

In that shop i get what i really want

Canon 300mm 2.8L IS = 4400€

Some "freaks" met near the Berliner Fernsehturm. The police was also there.

He is not as evil as he look. Some people from an internet forum had a meeting.

This surprised me very much. There are still many signs of the war in that Berlin

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #32
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

I don't understand this sentiment that Berlin is unimpressive and lacking in people. I just simply have never felt that way. I've been there 4 times and got completely the opposite impression. I found it to be profoundly impressive and full of vibrancy and street life. I do know about their financial problems/debt, but this is not apparent to the outside visitor. Tourists love Berlin. Berlin is so awesome!
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #33
le calmar

Likes (Received): 0

Fantastic pics!
le calmar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #34
paderwan

Likes (Received): 2968

That dude with the hoodie is you?
paderwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #35
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I don't understand this sentiment that Berlin is unimpressive and lacking in people. I just simply have never felt that way. I've been there 4 times and got completely the opposite impression. I found it to be profoundly impressive and full of vibrancy and street life. I do know about their financial problems/debt, but this is not apparent to the outside visitor. Tourists love Berlin. Berlin is so awesome!
I wouldn't go to visist a City for it being the most financial center of the world if I go to a City that would be because I love to see how the City is and enjoy the City itself for what it has to offer to visistors like architecture , culture, life style ,and food , Berlin seems to have all that I heard
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #36
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3275

I love your pics, Tom! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
Let's say that Germans (western Germans) have a very special relationship with Berlin. They don't see it as a capital in traditional sense like in other countries. Berlin is part of the poorer eastern Germany foso many west Germans don't like it because of that. I think with time these differences will diminish, but we shouldn't forget that Germany and Berlin were divided for more than 40 years.
Sorry but this is not true!
I don't think that any German didn't want to have Berlin as the capital of Germany. It was always the capital of Germany before WWII and it will always be. I know so many people / friends who want to move to Berlin, it has a really good image in whole Germany (not only in the east). Nobody thinks that the reunification was a bad thing, anymore.
And sorry for my English...I'm really tired.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #37
plus ratio quam vis

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I never understand people who desperately hate a place they live in but still live there. If it's so bad, move out.

you may find it difficult if you don't pay attention to what you're reading

Besides, this neighbourhood in Berlin eagerly awaits you.
Anyway, let's just let everyone enjoy Toms wonderful photos of this lovely city, and you can start up a thread of your own on how much you hate your life (sorry, where you live)

if that repeatable argumentum ad personam is everything you can afford yourself let me please wish you luck and ignore your following comments
plus ratio quam vis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #38
kevinglue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

berlin is interesting, but depressing and too obsessed with 'atoning' for ww2. all the apologies and memorials to the jews everywhere, it just makes me sick and i dot see how the germans/berliners can deal with it. i dont think they deserve to have to host and look at that garbage. so tear the countless self-hate/apology plaques and memorials down and move on with life, then it will be a respectable city.
kevinglue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #39
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8820

Those are some excellent additions, Tom! Thanks for going to the effort of posting them.

I particularly like this building:

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #40
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
I love your pics, Tom! Thanks again!

Sorry but this is not true!
I don't think that any German didn't want to have Berlin as the capital of Germany. It was always the capital of Germany before WWII and it will always be. I know so many people / friends who want to move to Berlin, it has a really good image in whole Germany (not only in the east). Nobody thinks that the reunification was a bad thing, anymore.
And sorry for my English...I'm really tired.
OK, that's your opinion. Don't mean to generalize, but I do know many western Germans who think that Berlin is a poor capital and as such a burden for west German tax payers.