daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #41
Frieden

Likes (Received): 215

@ kevinglue

maybe you are right with your arguments, but not every German/Berliner is very content with all these memorials for Jews, Homos, Sinte and Roma, Children and so on. Even many people dont know for what all these memorials stand. My mother lives in Berlin and never went to the Holocaust memorial, she dont cares about that.
It is the politics who tries to vaccinate the germans. Today many people move on with life not apologizing every day again.
Berlin is the capital city again so the cruelty history have to be reminded!

Last edited by Frieden; August 17th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
Frieden no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #42
kevinglue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieden View Post
@ kevinglue

maybe you are right with your arguments, but not every German/Berliner is very content with all these memorials for Jews, Homos, Sinte and Roma, Children and so on. Even many people dont know for what al these memorials. My mother lives in Berlin and never went to the Holocaust memorial, she dont cares about that.
It is the politics who tries to vaccinate the germans. Today many people move on with life not apologizing every day again.
Berlin is the capital city again so the cruelty history have to be reminded!
oh, no, i wasnt saying that. i couldnt imagine berliners being OK with it all, at least not everyone.
maybe remind yourselves of 'cruelty' history, but not public or in your face like in berlin. really, there are not many countries without a cruel history, and next to zero german people are part of that history anyway.
so i think all memorial/plaques need to be torn down. then dedicate maybe a page in school textbook, to appease the jews who have robbed germany of more than 100 billion euros and move on. germans shouldnt be sorry for anything.
kevinglue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #43
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinglue View Post
so i think all memorial/plaques need to be torn down. then dedicate maybe a page in school textbook, to appease the jews who have robbed germany of more than 100 billion euros and move on. germans shouldnt be sorry for anything.
What the **** are you talking about???
You must be really dumb to believe this!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #44
kevinglue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
What the **** are you talking about???
You must be really dumb to believe this!
dumb to belive what, about the money? it's public record.
kevinglue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #45
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishevy View Post
OK, that's your opinion. Don't mean to generalize, but I do know many western Germans who think that Berlin is a poor capital and as such a burden for west German tax payers.
Bonn was a much nicer capital. But now we have to live with Berlin if we like or not.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #46
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I seriously have to live in Berlin one day, I absolutely love it there. I've never felt so inspired by a city before - so many new ideas and vibrancy bursting out the city. It's so exciting being there, watching it being reborn.

Sigh. I'm madly in love with Berlin, and every ugly, rundown, post communist building in the city.
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #47
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3512

Quote:
Originally Posted by paderwan View Post
That dude with the hoodie is you?
Yes

On day 3 we visited the Bundestag. The following pics showing the building and the view from Top.

As you can see i love the work of Norman Foster.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #49
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Bonn was a much nicer capital. But now we have to live with Berlin if we like or not.
Bonn was a village. It is also a terribly forgettable city. Ask a few people around Townsville if they know anything about Bonn, and then ask about Berlin. I'd say Berlin doesn't get a lot of press in Townsville but people will still know more of it than Bonn.

I've been through Bonn and it feels nothing except an outpost of Köln. A satellite "suburb" if you like. It's a pleasant enough place, being quite green and spacious but has nothing in it that suggests it was the capital of one of the world's most important countries.

Berlin on the other hand is a city worthy of being called a capital, even if it's still work in progress.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #50
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Bonn was a village. It is also a terribly forgettable city. Ask a few people around Townsville if they know anything about Bonn, and then ask about Berlin. I'd say Berlin doesn't get a lot of press in Townsville but people will still know more of it than Bonn.

I've been through Bonn and it feels nothing except an outpost of Köln. A satellite "suburb" if you like. It's a pleasant enough place, being quite green and spacious but has nothing in it that suggests it was the capital of one of the world's most important countries.

Berlin on the other hand is a city worthy of being called a capital, even if it's still work in progress.
The capital doest not have to be the largest or most important city. Just look at Australia, its Canberra. Germany could have saved allot of money if the government just stayed in Bonn. And to be honest, the Rhine valley is the true cultural heart of Germany.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #51
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8831

Quote:
The capital doest not have to be the largest or most important city. Just look at Australia, its Canberra. Germany could have saved allot of money if the government just stayed in Bonn. And to be honest, the Rhine valley is the true cultural heart of Germany.
Shhh, don't tell the Southern Germans that!

Besides, from an outsiders point of view, Berlin is by far more suited to be the capital. Canberra should never have been the capital of Australia - it always should have been either Melbourne or Sydney - heck the last Prime Minister refused to live in Canberra and opted for Sydney (don't know about the current one).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #52
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Quote:
And to be honest, the Rhine valley is the true cultural heart of Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Shhh, don't tell the Southern Germans that!
I am a Southern German AND I live in the Rhine valley!
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #53
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
In your first point you are correct. The capital doesn't have to be the largest city. But it should at least act like a capital. As for Canberra, I knew you would bring this up I'm not a big fan of Canberra mainly because it is so empty as a city. The streets just feels like it has so little life mainly because for such a small population it is very spread out. But even in this case, Canberra feels like a capital which Bonn never could. Canberra is a planned city, with wide avenues, monumental architecture and grand planning. Bonn is just a nondescript run of the mill town with no distinction as a city, let alone the capital.

Have you found anyone yet in Townsville who has heard of Bonn?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #54
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

New pics.

Last edited by Tom_Green; August 23rd, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #55
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

The last pics

Bye bye

Old August 24th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #56
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

I like your pictures very much. Thanks Tom!