daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 232

21st century architecture in estonia

a long-spanning thread to show you some examples of contemporary architecture in estonia. the intention is not only to show you the most fascinating objects, but the more ordinary and maybe even ugly stuff as well. please keep in mind that it's not my intention to introduce only the big and chic, fancy-pancy bright glassy-classy architecture. the emphasis is on younger generation estonian architects, i.e. born in 1960's / 1970's / 1980's.

and i have to warn you - all my photos are big files [and 1024 pixels wide], therefore loading may take a bit time. but you can always post a lot of comments to avoid too many photos on one page

and please, if you quote, don't quote any photos (:

ok, start!

artdepoo in tallinn, completed in 2004.
image hosted on flickr

it's a mixed development comprising apartments and a small art gallery, which emphasises on modern estonian art. the complex is converted from the "norma" metal factory, which gave reason to use metal on the building's facade as a decorative element.

image hosted on flickr

entrance to the art gallery. the interior is also very interesting, as are the exhibitions.
image hosted on flickr

the complex was designed by the young estonian architect harry klaar [b. 1975]. he's quite known for his "fun", or at least not very serious style. his office's [on arhitektid] homepage can be found here: http://www.onarhitektid.ee/.

image hosted on flickr

it's an exemplary development with custom-made [hmm, or at least not your typical] wavy zigzag fence and beautiful lanterns.
image hosted on flickr

the complex is situated in northern tallinn, in kalamaja [address: jahu 12], a fantastic old suburb with ~2-storey wooden buildings mostly dating back to 1900's to 1930's. kalamaja is the best thing in tallinn, if you ask me (:

Last edited by Jarmo K; August 19th, 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Jarmo K no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Jarmo K

artdepoo, seen in the previous post, opens to two streetfronts as it's a big building. here i will show you the part which opens to vana-kalamaja street.

the architect is still harry klaar from on arhitektid.

this is vana-kalamaja street with typical few-storey wooden dwellings, and artdepoo.
image hosted on flickr

quite a contrast. i love it!
image hosted on flickr

again, metal is used as a reminder of the plot's history - there used to be a metal factory here.
image hosted on flickr

tall vertical windows with french balconies, quite common elements in contemporary estonian architecture. i prefer it to the functionalistic horisontal band windows.
image hosted on flickr

seen from an empty plot across the street. the building to the left seems to be from the same complex but i don't like it at all...
image hosted on flickr
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Jarmo K

but estonian architecture is not always that grey (:

here's a fantastic new building just a few hundred meters from artdepoo shown above. it's a residential building with some office space, located on noole street [address: noole 4/6/8], completed in 2007.
image hosted on flickr

but i have to tell you! it doesn't appeal too much to me in photos... quite the contrary... but! in reality, i mean, being there and seeing it with my own eyes - then it's absolutely amazing! the more i see it, the more i fall in love with it!
image hosted on flickr

i adore its choice of materials! the foundation belongs to an old industrial [?] building which was a wreck... after the grey stone comes bright yellow wood, then rusty corten steel...

the building is the first one in a serie of new apartment buildings in the area. an old harbor with its historical hydroplane hangars is just some 100 meters from here... the whole area will soon be developed into high-class multifunctional district...
image hosted on flickr

the building was designed in the office eek & mutso by the architects margit mutso [b. 1966] and kristi põldme.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

there's an article about the building in english by margit mutso here --> http://www.solness.ee/maja/?mid=130&id=392 with a few very nice additional photos!

seeya soon with a new set of photos! (:
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Jarmo K

a private dwelling on naeri street in tallinn. the building was completed in 2005 and has since then attracted some minor international attention.

just like the buildings shown above, this one is also located in an old slum-like neighborhood, but this time - very close to downtown. the area [veerenni] mostly consists of early 1900's small wooden buildings, there's also a huge hospital complex and many cemeteries in proximity.

this is pretty much all that you can see from the street. the garden and a bit of the building is visible only if looking at a 90-degree angle. the tall metal fence seems very cold and uninviting, unfriendly even...
image hosted on flickr

that's why it's a guaranteed surprise to enter the premise. what a little minimalistic paradise it hides! the building extends deep into the plot.
image hosted on flickr

looking towards the street. a little car shade, a hobby room and some maintenance areas or something like that...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

the translucent wall of the hobby room.
image hosted on flickr

cute little multi-level [haha] garden in front of the building.
image hosted on flickr

here you can see the three steps of the garden.
image hosted on flickr

the building was designed by 3+1 architects [ www.threeplusone.ee ]. btw, 3+1 has also designed the estonian embassy building in vilnius.
image hosted on flickr

there's an article about the above-shown building in estonian here, and a very good photo, much better than all mine combined, here!
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Jarmo K

continuing the theme "new architecture in historical settlement".

here's a little office building in the old town of tartu, on lai street. designed by 3d projekt and completed in 2007.

image hosted on flickr

hah, and a better photo... the side facade will soon be hidden away by another planned building.
image hosted on flickr
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1508

Seriously though? That's rather un-appealing.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Jarmo K

^haha, don't worry, the buildings shown above are far from the local mainstream architecture (:

some very crappy photos of a school gymnasium in pärnu [address: kuninga 29), the summer capital of estonia.

finished in 2005, the building was designed by some of my most favorite estonian architects: siiri vallner (b. 1972), katrin koov (b. 1973), kaire nõmm (b. 1971) and heidi urb from the all-female kavakava architectural office.

the main building of the school is to the left.

it's clear why the architects have chosen red brick as the facade material.

the whole facade is dotted with these openings. in the evenings when the interior is lighted, it leaves a very-very cool effect.

the glass facade facing the old building.

there's a night-time photo here, and an article in estonian here.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Jarmo K

one more from pärnu. again, not very good photos.

pärnu concert hall, completed in 2002 and designed by the above-mentioned katrin koov and kaire nõmm together with hanno grossschmidt [b. 1973].

it was built really-really fast with minimum budget, therefore it may seem a bit cheap-looking...

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #9
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

thanks for the thread. these are great
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Jarmo K

another pearl from the town of pärnu. it's an apartment building [address: aisa 2] completed in 2003. again, an exemplary new structure in a historical settlement. designed in the pärnu-based office luhse & tuhal, by architects ra luhse (b. 1964) and tanel tuhal (b. 1967).

the grey venetian blinds add a very simple and yet artistic, kind of an abstract touch to it.

the shape of the building, its corner "tower", volume, is directly influenced by the adjacent historical villa grandt, dating back to 1907 and renovated by the same architects.

it may not be the average beauty contest winner, but i really like its elegant and unpretentious modernity.