daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 912

Moody Brussels

I´ve heard many bad things about this city so I didn´t know what to expect when I arrived in Brussels. I was pleasantly surprised. Brussels is such an underrated city.

This is a city where modern meets old, ugly meets beatiful and boulevards meet alleys. This is a city with attitude. Apart from the terrible train station (surely the ugliest in the entire world) and the bad weather (overcast the first day, rain and mist the day after that) I had a really nice time in this amazing city.

Enjoy!

Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #2
cornish pasty

Likes (Received): 4

Some great pics there, Brussels is sometimes underrated
cornish pasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Brussels is extremely underrated, it's true. Just look at the amount of different architectural styles, it's more diverse and varied in this sense than most cities in Britain, France or the Netherlands.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #4
peterdn

Likes (Received): 186

Great tour.
Brussels is one of my favourite cities.
peterdn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Mr Bricks

Thanks for your comments
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

If you put Paris, Amsterdam and London in a blender + added some unique flair of its own, you get Brussels....a great city!
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #7
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Chair View Post
If you put Paris, Amsterdam and London in a blender + added some unique flair of its own, you get Brussels....a great city!
Yeah thats what I thought aswell!
Nice pics Suomi shame about the weather.

Thanks.
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

I've never heard bad things about Brussels. After this photo tour it jumped up in my wish list of cities to visit. What an interesting city, and I think the weather added to the photos.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
I've never heard bad things about Brussels.
That's because you're American. In Europe, Brussels doesn't have a good reputation, unfortunately. It's a great city.
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Encore
Encore

Likes (Received): 1

Great pictures! Love the city!
Encore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Mr Bricks

Thanks guys
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #12
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

I remember hearing bad things about the city from somewhere too..

but from the pictures, it looks incredible!
Maybe I should have went to Brussels instead of Brugge that one time
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Mr Bricks

^I´ve heard Brügge is very beatiful. A medieval gem and surely very different from Brussels.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #14
Vincedem

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
^I´ve heard Brügge is very beatiful. A medieval gem and surely very different from Brussels.
Bruges is a wonderful city, it´s like a postal card.

Unfortunatelly it´s not the most vibrant city in the world. I would more recommend cities like Antwerp and Ghent. But Brussels is different... actually, Brussels is the only city in Belgium that gives you a real big city feeling but if you are from Finland that might be different.
Vincedem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #15
Ally Theanlyn
Ally Theanlyn

Likes (Received): 4

Before Raining, Nice

What a cloudy day but still working with your camera !

Old August 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

I've been "through" Brussels several times but never had the chance to stop and explore it. But I can see why it gets such a bad reputation. Belgium differs from most Western European countries in that it's cities are often quite grotty with many run down buildings and just as many beautiful old buildings destroyed to be replaced with concrete monstrosities. That run down look is the first thing I notice when I visit Belgium so I am not surprised Brussels has such a bad reputation.

That said, from my quick skips through the city I have to admit it looks really interesting. If the run down buildings and streetscapes were spruced up I think this city could be one of the most interesting in Europe. It does look like it has a lot of potential and I have to really spend time in it sometime in the near future.

I personally think it is underrated, but I stand by my argument that it needs to really look at itself and ask how it has become so rundown when Belgium is not a poor country and this city is the center of the European Union. I know some people here like grit, and I don't mind it in the right place or context, but there is a difference between grit and just not taking care.

There are many projects happening in Brussels, so hopefully my impressions are out of date or soon to be.

By the way, the train station, although nothing special is hardly the ugliest I have seen. Gare Montparnasse in Paris is by a long shot the worst major station I have had the displeasure of visiting. And to think that exists because some silly planners decided they had to destroy the beautiful original station and replace it with poorly designed concrete. Also, I believe Vienna never actually built a real central station and what they have is very average. But year, it's nothing special and quite a shame when Belgium's 2nd city Antwerp possibly has the world's most beautiful central station (and brilliantly restored and enlarged recently)
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #17
Mr Bricks

^Brussels also has a lot of traffic. The difference was huge compared to Amsterdam where pedestrians and bicycles rule. In Brussels people would park anywhere (no matter if it was prohibited or not). The skyscrapers, concrete blobs and old streets made the city feel very real.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #18
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

@ Justme

Please note that 'Brussels' is not a synonym for 'Belgium'. Ever been to Bruges or Leuven?

Here are pictures of the second city (Antwerp): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=636625

Does it look run down to you? I can assure you that there are (renovation) projects everywhere in the cities (especially in Flanders). The riverside in Antwerp will be totally renovated into a giant walking-boulevard by the water for example. And that's just one of the many many projects.

Also in Brussels, which has in comparison to the other cities, the most run down buildings - being the biggest city that's not a surprise.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #19
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
@ Justme

Please note that 'Brussels' is not a synonym for 'Belgium'. Ever been to Bruges or Leuven?

Here are pictures of the second city (Antwerp): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=636625

Does it look run down to you? I can assure you that there are (renovation) projects everywhere in the cities (especially in Flanders). The riverside in Antwerp will be totally renovated into a giant walking-boulevard by the water for example. And that's just one of the many many projects.

Also in Brussels, which has in comparison to the other cities, the most run down buildings - being the biggest city that's not a surprise.
I have to admit that I havn't seen the entire country of Belgium. But I have been to the following cities:

Ličge
Antwerp
Ostend
Ghent
as well as passing through Brussels several times.

It's not a lot, but it is more than just a quick visit. I am not putting Belgium down, just saying what I noticed and I know many others notice this as well. If you don't see it yourself then it is possible that is because you are used to it. Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to notice something. And I have to say one thing, it's better to have honest criticism than people just remaining quiet. After-all, how would things every get fixed then.

I really like Belgium a lot, but I do think it needs a bit of housekeeping so to speak.

Oh, I have to say that it's good news that Antwerp is doing something to their river. I found that to be the most disappointing riverside of any city I have visited. So next time I visit I'll check it out. As for the other projects, that's also good news.

Last edited by Justme; August 18th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

it looks bad for some reason. if that's what summer looks like over there then it's awful... :/ looks like my city in the middle of December...