daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old April 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #61
jef_xavier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinvar View Post
Is there a way to extend it? Or is it complicated?
IT's complicated. For starters, apparently there is a need to reorient the runway to make it less dangerous (Naga and Legaspi airports are two of the most dangerous airports in the Philippines, apparently).
jef_xavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #62
Rodel

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbongdad View Post
mahaba na ba ang runway ng naga....the last time i travelled there the captain announced.... when we were about to land.....that due to the short length of the runway we may not be able to land on the first try....that made me pray to all the saints i just cannot understand why the captain have to announce that......we did not know that detail so it did not bother us until the announcement.....he was soliciting prayers for a safe landing...i guess...
nakakatakot pala talaga sa Naga Airport pagka ganyan.
anyway, what airline is this?
air phils is the only airline flying to Naga using bigger aircrafts. 5J is using the smaller ones.
Rodel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #63
kalbongdad
bald meat

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
nakakatakot pala talaga sa Naga Airport pagka ganyan.
anyway, what airline is this?
air phils is the only airline flying to Naga using bigger aircrafts. 5J is using the smaller ones.
nde ko na sya matandaan kung pal or air phil....palagay ko pal...dahil jet ang sinakyan namin hindi di propeller...

An Bato nga Bantiles Naiibas Guihapon han Durudaguinot nga Turo han Uran
kalbongdad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #64
jef_xavier

More photos

Here are some photos of Naga Airport:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Terminal Building and Control Tower

image hosted on flickr

The Control Tower

image hosted on flickr

The parking lot and advertisements on billboards.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #65
jef_xavier

Zest Air

Zest Air now has Manila-Naga, v-v afternoon flights.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #66
garzland
Oragon Ini!

Likes (Received): 123

Thanks for those pics, jef xavier! Wish it would be upgraded asap. with the influx of tourists, the city is really needing a bigger one.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #67
olineil
zerocool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef_xavier View Post
IT's complicated. For starters, apparently there is a need to reorient the runway to make it less dangerous (Naga and Legaspi airports are two of the most dangerous airports in the Philippines, apparently).
Kindly elaborate why? Naga and Legazpi is two of the most dangerous? Why then has there not been a single mishap in this two airports specially legazpi. Although there was a close call a few months back... but it was not due to the airports design but the stupidity of the ATO chiefs son who was showing off to his girlfriend by driving across the runway to prove that he can use the premises as a shortcut not knowing that an airplane is already on its touchdown phase. The ATO chief was sacked the next day by the way.

My Worship Music Blog
| My Design Blog Site | BRT on FaceBook

Sail Away! | Legazpi City || WoWLegazpi.com
olineil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #68
Sind24

Naga airport faces closure
Within 5 years, experts says

By Sandy Vargas

PILI, Camarines Sur — Despite the innovations attained by the City of Naga in public governance which are recognized worldwide, the city and Camarines Sur stand to lose its “unfriendly” airport in 5 years, an airport authority, who requested anonymity, said.

It is noted that the airport which is nestled on the foot of Mt. Isarog here that services the locally-profitable PAL 737 airplane of 140 passengers has a runway stretch of only 1,402 square meters, short of 428 of the standard 1,830 square meters.

The present landing space restricts the normal load of a PAL 737 causing added cargo to be diverted to Legazpi airport. The Naga passenger, in turn, has to wait for the delivery of his extra cargo from Legazpi City which is 99 kms away via the Maharlika highway.

Manila to Naga flights, the airport authority pointed out, require ace pilots who can apply a dexterous brake maneuver to spare the aircraft from plunging into the 40-meter deep quarrying site on the left of the airfield, or on the right towards the national highway, if not on the rice fields up front. Passengers notice the sudden jolt whenever PAL touches down the Naga airport.

“It needs real guts. The airport manager should be praying everytime a plane arrives”, he said.

He disclosed that in about 5 years when only airbuses with some 400-passenger capacity will eventually be used by airlines, the runway would no longer be feasible, hence its imminent closure.

It will be recalled that the last time the runway was expanded was during the time of former Tourism Secretary Eduardo Pilapil who appropriated P10M for the expanded length.

Erstwhile DOTC Secretary Pete Prado, Congressman Rolando Andaya, Sr. and Senator Raul Roco each gave their token share for the airport development. None came during the incumbency of legislators James Jacob and Cho Roco in spite of repeated appeals. Jacob, however, attempted to study a reorientation of the runway which would affect several hectares of productive rice farms on the eastern and southern side of the runway. Such plan was bitterly opposed by the affected farmers.

Airport Manager Ed Ramos, in a separate interview, said there is a need or the local politicos, especially lawmakers Rolando Andaya, Luis Villafuerte, Felix Alfelor and Noli Fuentebella should work together and to stand united in solving the airport’s problems to thwart its immenent closure.

Ramos claimed that the Air Transportation Office (ATO) program on the reorientation of runway to its perpendicular form for correct wind adjustment which is presently pending in Congress should do the job.

He said, “before the 3rd reading in Congress was held in abeyance, the government during the incumbency of Pres. Joseph Estrada was ready to increase payments of P100,000 per hectare to farm owners from the negotiated price of P50,000 for farms affected in the expansion.”

The needed upgrading and rehabilitation could transform the Naga facility into an alternate international, all weather airport to serve the expected growth of tourism, trade and industry in Camarines Sur and adjacent provinces.

He said a plan to build a new airport somewhere in San Fernando or Pamplona may be an expensive, if not inviable, proposition. “Re-orienting the present runway for its needed length and safe expanse will entail relatively lower budget, the extra amount to be expended for other basic facilities such as VIP rooms, comfort rooms, covered shed for well-wishers and other safety equipment,” he said.

Ramos, a seasoned airport manager and an AIM graduate, envied other places in the country with comparatively better airports such as Davao City were economic boom where alternate international or better standard airports were developed.

In the meantime, he said, the pre-departure area should be expanded and a VIP room provided. Construction of typhoon-damaged perimeter fence with parking space and toilets are likewise under implementation. “Work pace is determined by release of funds from the central office through Assistant Secretary Nilo C. Jatico, who takes care of all ATO problems.”

It was also learned that Pili town could generate additional income from business billboards that can be installed along the municipal road leading to the airport.
Seeking information from PAL Manager Efren Badong, who appeared to be initially annoyed when presented the conditions of stakeholders of the only airline using the airport, this reporter was told that PAL assists in improving the present needs of the Naga airport whenever possible.

Citing instances of tourism development, Badong said it is only at his airport that there is no tourism booth to showcase Naga City and Camarines Sur unlike all other airports in the country or abroad that even maintain comprehensive tourism promotion areas.

Ramos, meanwhile, expressed his appreciation to the Bicol Mail for bringing to the attention of its readers and the public the deteriorating conditions obtaining at the airport. He said he has sent a copy of this paper’s issue last week to ATO Undersecretary Jatico for his information and appropriate action.

Masbate sea, air transport paralyzed

By EDGAR J. TAMAYO
April 17, 2009, 5:20pm

Masbate City — City officials here have called on the Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) to allocate funds for the improvement of the provincial airport so that regular plane flights from Manila to Masbate and vice versa can be resumed.

Vice Mayor Alan B. Cos said that the sangguniang panglungsod (city council) passed early last year a resolution seeking funds for the airport project, but the city has not received a positive response from the DoTC.

Sources said that DoTC has released some P11 million to a congressman for the improvement of the airport, particularly asphalting of the runway and acquisition of safety landing facilities. “However, the improvement of the airstrip has suffered delays for unknown reason,” Cos said.

The delay prompted Zest Airlines, formerly Asian Spirit, to stop its flights to the province for one month now, thereby paralyzing air transport from Masbate to Manila, Legaspi, and Cebu. Cos said the airline executives reportedly aired fears of accidents that might cost lives and property if the airport is not improved.

Cos said that the recent flights to Masbate took place during the four-day annual celebration of the Rodeo Masbateño Festival early this month when Sea Air Transport made three flights to Masbate.

Montenegro Shipping Lines also plied the Masbate-Lucena route to ferry people who attended the festival.

He said that the sea transport from Masbate to Manila via Lucena City in Quezon has stopped for unknown reason.

If only they knew (whoever they are)

It's good to have an international airport but I think it's still premature and impractical. Legazpi has a decent airport of international standards already and putting up an international airport in daraga to replace the decent airport of legazpi is rather insulting to the camarinenses and masbatenyos; and a waste of money having said that the one in legazpi is still in good condition.

Reasoning out that the new airport in daraga would serve the whole region is not even good enough because of the absence of superior highways in the region.

IMO Reorienting the naga airport, rehabilitating the masbate airport and acquiring of new instruments to the present airports of Bicol is the most practical thing to do. as much as possible, no new airport. RDC can build one, when the infrastracture of Bicol is already in good and proper condition.

However, the thing (daraga airport) is already at hand and let's just support the project in any way we can. Let's just hope that these two airports would also receive the same priority that has been given by the RDC to the albay airport.

Moving on to the regional center topic, I beg to disagree to some of the forumers. I agree with them when they said having albay as the regional center will benefit the most. But how about cam norte and Naga? We cannot just pass them the burden knowing that cam norte too is a part of bicol, and naga is the business center of Bicol having the most number of business establishments. We also cannot just leave them rotting just by sacrificing them in putting all the big projects in albay just to benefit most. If we will have an analogy it's like irresponsible parenting. It's like a parent neglecting two of there children in exchange of the benefit of the other 4. Bicol would not be called bicol without camarines province. We cannot just concentrate on the 4 provinces at the expense of 2.

So in IMO, it still better to have say 2/3 of the regional offices in albay and 1/3 in the north. Or they can always put an annex of each offices in the north so as to have a fair share. It is bicol and it would always be divided into two because of it's geography. We can always follow what the san miguel corp did with its plants in Bicol. It has a North and a South Bicol plant.

I believe that putting up two international airports in the midst of poverty and crisis is selfishness and concenrating on the majority at the expense of others is also selfishness. Let us not be blinded

I hope I won't be misunderstood. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just sharing my idea. BTW long time no post. Just dropping by hehe...
Sind24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #69
kalbongdad
bald meat

walang character ang naga terminal....wala pang aircon....when i went there last year dun ko naexperience na ang pilot meron message na maikli ang runway and brace for an aborted landing....kaya triple dasal mo na makuha nyang mag land one time lang..

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #70
jef_xavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by olineil View Post
Kindly elaborate why? Naga and Legazpi is two of the most dangerous? Why then has there not been a single mishap in this two airports specially legazpi. Although there was a close call a few months back... but it was not due to the airports design but the stupidity of the ATO chiefs son who was showing off to his girlfriend by driving across the runway to prove that he can use the premises as a shortcut not knowing that an airplane is already on its touchdown phase. The ATO chief was sacked the next day by the way.
Well, both are very near mountains=winds/updrafts. Naga City has a very short runway, and people say the runway needs reorienting.

With regard to Legazpi, it's very near to a volcano, which is the reason why the proposed Bicol International Airport was located in Daraga, at a place farther from Mayon (which is still really near to the volcano, by the way--political considerations may have factored in), and which is also the reason why Legazpi Airport was not simply upgraded to international standards.

I would like to post you the links explaining my statements, but i don't have them. I read them from somewhere, i just don't remember where. Anyway, Sind24's post may also help you with your question.

Mishaps, although can be used as an indicator of how dangerous airports are, can not be used as the single indicator. There are many other factors. Dangerous airports means that there are, well dangers, which of course can always be handled and avoided given the right precautions.

The fact that these two airports are recognized as dangerous may also have helped reduce mishaps, because controllers and pilots may have become more careful landing and taking off from these airports, knowing how dangerous they are.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #71
olineil
zerocool

Quote:
Well, both are very near mountains=winds/updrafts. Naga City has a very short runway, and people say the runway needs reorienting.

With regard to Legazpi, it's very near to a volcano, which is the reason why the proposed Bicol International Airport was located in Daraga, at a place farther from Mayon (which is still really near to the volcano, by the way--political considerations may have factored in), and which is also the reason why Legazpi Airport was not simply upgraded to international standards.

I would like to post you the links explaining my statements, but i don't have them. I read them from somewhere, i just don't remember where. Anyway, Sind24's post may also help you with your question.

Mishaps, although can be used as an indicator of how dangerous airports are, can not be used as the single indicator. There are many other factors. Dangerous airports means that there are, well dangers, which of course can always be handled and avoided given the right precautions.

The fact that these two airports are recognized as dangerous may also have helped reduce mishaps, because controllers and pilots may have become more careful landing and taking off from these airports, knowing how dangerous they are.
Ok... yes in a way it is near a volcano but it doesn't mean it is in the immediate danger zone of the volcano. Mayon has a 6km radius permanent danger zone, 8km radius danger zone during eruption. Legazpi Urban area where airport is located is well beyond that danger zone. Prevailing winds in the city is east-west/ west-east effectively avoiding volcanic ash danger during eruption since the Legazpi city is in the SOUTHERN flank of Mayon. The runway is also relatively long at 2280 x 36m. Although admittedly wala syang ILS or modern landing assistance equipments and night time landing is also not possible. But this can be remedied easily with proper funding support from the government.

My Worship Music Blog
| My Design Blog Site | BRT on FaceBook

Sail Away! | Legazpi City || WoWLegazpi.com
olineil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #72
kalbongdad
bald meat

gawin na lang secondary airport....pag tapos na ang bia

Old May 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #73
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 193

When BIA gets built, with ample allowance for future expansion, WNP wouldn't be needed as a secondary airport. The best case scenario would be to let the airport cater to GenAv operations. Or, use the land for some other commercial use apart from aviation.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #74
jef_xavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiretoce View Post
When BIA gets built, with ample allowance for future expansion, WNP wouldn't be needed as a secondary airport. The best case scenario would be to let the airport cater to GenAv operations. Or, use the land for some other commercial use apart from aviation.
Are you referring to WNP (Naga Airport) or to LGP (Legaspi Airport)? If you are referring to Naga Airport, can you explain why? I am a lay person when it comes to aviation, and i am not acquainted with the nuances of that field, but from my perspective, and from the perspective of many others, especially the frequent fliers, whether an international airport is built in Legaspi or not, a domestic airport in Naga should not be affected. What difference does it make?

In the status quo, even with LGP present, there is demand for Naga-Manila route, and in fact, the said demand is increasing. Can you explain why placing BIA will change that? I mean, can you explain to me why BIA will erase the need to keep Naga Airport running?

Because personally, i go home to Naga several times a year, and i go there by plane. I just don't have the time for an 8-hour trip, and neither do i have time to go to LGP (2-3hours from Naga) just to wait for another hour at the airport, and go through another hour in a plane to go to Manila.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #75
kalbongdad
bald meat

Quote:
bigay na lang sa military....jump off point nila....sa counter insurgency...

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #76
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Are you referring to WNP (Naga Airport) or to LGP (Legaspi Airport)? If you are referring to Naga Airport, can you explain why? I am a lay person when it comes to aviation, and i am not acquainted with the nuances of that field, but from my perspective, and from the perspective of many others, especially the frequent fliers, whether an international airport is built in Legaspi or not, a domestic airport in Naga should not be affected. What difference does it make?

In the status quo, even with LGP present, there is demand for Naga-Manila route, and in fact, the said demand is increasing. Can you explain why placing BIA will change that? I mean, can you explain to me why BIA will erase the need to keep Naga Airport running?

Because personally, i go home to Naga several times a year, and i go there by plane. I just don't have the time for an 8-hour trip, and neither do i have time to go to LGP (2-3hours from Naga) just to wait for another hour at the airport, and go through another hour in a plane to go to Manila.
What I'm saying is that if/when BIA gets built, WNP and LGP airports might not be needed because you already will have a mega-airport that would accomodate current and future traffic from both airports. Making it, BIA, an aviation hub for the region instead of having it be city-specific. Granted that some people will have to travel greater times and distances to get to the airport, but with airports being built farther and farther away from city centers these days, it's now beginning to be the norm rather than the exception.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #77
jef_xavier

Quote:
What I'm saying is that if/when BIA gets built, WNP and LGP airports might not be needed because you already will have a mega-airport that would accomodate current and future traffic from both airports. Making it, BIA, an aviation hub for the region instead of having it be city-specific. Granted that some people will have to travel greater times and distances to get to the airport, but with airports being built farther and farther away from city centers these days, it's now beginning to be the norm rather than the exception.
I understand what you mean. but that may be starting to become the norm only because other countries build good transport systems going to and from the airports. If, for example, with BIA, they also put in place hi-speed trains from naga to the said airport, i perfectly understand what you mean. but with how things are, i don't think WNP will be effectively replaced by the BIA. Besides, with Mayon, a secondary airport may still very well be needed.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #78
Sind24

Quote:
I understand what you mean. but that may be starting to become the norm only because other countries build good transport systems going to and from the airports. If, for example, with BIA, they also put in place hi-speed trains from naga to the said airport, i perfectly understand what you mean. but with how things are, i don't think WNP will be effectively replaced by the BIA. Besides, with Mayon, a secondary airport may still very well be needed.

Aside from the mere 2-lane road connecting naga and daraga, I highly doubt the decommissioning would happen, to think that most of the multinational manila-based corporations have their bicol offices in Naga and its peripheries. That would make business trips via BIA in daraga highly inconvenient and time-consuming.

On the other hand whatever happened to the bidding for the Pre-Feasibility Study and Master Plan for the proposed Libmanan Airport Development Project That could have been the reason for the lack of action with regards to the short runway in Pili. And in my opinion, this would more likely materialize than the airport upgrade in Pili in view of the upcoming bridge project connecting libamanan and naga, which just came out from nowhere and suddenly became a priority project of the president. The bridge project seem to give a clue of the airport project.
Sind24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #79
kaelthas18
=**=

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Here are some photos of Naga Airport:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Terminal Building and Control Tower

image hosted on flickr

The Control Tower

image hosted on flickr

The parking lot and advertisements on billboards.
hey..no offense ha... pero in my opinion it looks like a high school building.. o kaya naman a 1st class municipal hall sa province.hehe..
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #80
jef_xavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelthas18 View Post
hey..no offense ha... pero in my opinion it looks like a high school building.. o kaya naman a 1st class municipal hall sa province.hehe..
It's an airport in Naga eh, and its not even classified as a trunk. I am just thankful it's at least decent. After all what can we expect from Philippine Government buildings?