daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Milwaukee's New Tallest

Milwaukee's New Tallest

While there's a fair amount of development going on in and around Downtown Milwaukee currently, there are also many proposals which seem stalled or going nowhere fast. Hopefully, some of the proposed projects will become reality in the near future. But in the meantime, let's dream a little. If you could build/design a new tallest tower in Downtown Milwaukee, what would it look like and where would you build it?

Density is a critical factor in a city's landscape, but there's no question that taller buildings can really transform a skyline and make it memorable and identifiable. The US Bank building (originally First Wisconsin, then FirstStar) has dominated Milwaukee's struggling skyline for over 35 years. So, in order to help achieve a more balanced and dynamic skyline, what type of signature tower would you build and where?

(Footnote: A business associate of mine from Charlotte, NC was in Milwaukee for the first time last month, and here's what he said as we drove into and around Downtown: "You don't have much in the way of taller buildings here, do you?" After noting the US Bank building as the only tall building, he reminded me of the many new, tall buildings under construction in Charlotte. He said, "I'm surprised. I figured a larger city like Milwaukee would have had more of a skyline.")
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #2
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

Charlotte is the number one booming city in the country right now. Their office vacancy rate is literally .5%. Most of the midwest is somewhere between a 10-20% vacancy rate. In addition, all of the construction there is being done for just two companies: Wachovia and Bank of America.

Milwaukee isn't growing as quickly as Charlotte (nor is any other midwestern city, on a percentage basis), therefore, we don't have many major high-rise office proposals. Jobs = new high rises, not just the desire to have new high rises. Also, Charlotte drops off from 50-story towers to surface parking lots across the street. That's not necessarily better.

You know what else Charlotte has? Light rail (and it's beating all ridership estimates)!! Heaven forbid. If Milwaukee had a better way for people to get downtown without their cars, we wouldn't have to pay for a 2,000 car parking garage for every office building and we would see a lot more being built.

However, if I were to choose where one would be built, I would put it east of the river, north of Wisconsin Avenue...either the parking lot across from the Pfister, the Milwaukee Athletic Club site, or behind M&I.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #3
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Since moving back to Milwaukee and living in the immediate "downtown" area, I've learned that a skyline is really of very little significance to a city. I'm more worried about things to do down here, and Milwaukee has added, and is still adding lots of that. Sure, a skyline serves as a nice first impression, but should be the last thing to define a city.

That said, several of the current projects (Moderne, Lake Pointe, Ghazi) would be great to add density and then add something that hits the 50+ mark to take the mark away from US Bank. Something cylindrical and glassy. The landscape of Milwaukee really changes things. There's times when the skyline looks sparse, and times when it looks quite dense.

EDIT - Good thread though. We need to talk about something because times are DEAD around here, right now.
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 4

Man, the thread title was a huge teaser for me.
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #5
bjkeys321

Likes (Received): 20

Yeah, this was a big teaser for me too Our skyline isn't terrible, but it could be better. If you check out SSP or maybe it's here too, there was a fantasy Wells Tower proposal and I get a kick out of that
bjkeys321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #6
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Since moving back to Milwaukee and living in the immediate "downtown" area, I've learned that a skyline is really of very little significance to a city. I'm more worried about things to do down here, and Milwaukee has added, and is still adding lots of that. Sure, a skyline serves as a nice first impression, but should be the last thing to define a city.
Exactly my thoughts. Milwaukee's downtown is one of the largest in the Midwest, and offers mile after beautiful mile of quality urban experiences. I've come to learn that the "urban experience" trumps height any day.

Between the urban environments offered by Milwaukee and its smaller brother Madison, Wisconsin's great cities do a wonderful job of offering more than initially meets the visitor's eye.
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #7
MKECane

I can't speak from a design perspective, as I have no idea what I think would look good. I'd like it to look modern and have lots of glass, though. Ideally, I think you'd want it east of the river, north of Wisconsin Ave, and sitting up the hill from Water Street, but as far from the US Bank building as possible and fitting that criteria. That way, it would hopefully fit in with the view from the lake, coming up from either 794 or 94, and from McKinley coming off 43. I suppose Ogden and Jefferson would be the best place to try it.
MKECane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #8
qwerty44

Likes (Received): 69

I know this isn't really the place for talking about proposals, and I havent heard anything about this for quite a long time now, but I remember the World Trade Center Wisconsin said it was considering building a structure of possibly 40+ stories, which would probably be the tallest in the city.
qwerty44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #9
bjkeys321

are there any renderings out there?
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Skyking2
BANNED

Well, I suppose since I sarted this thread -- and, sorry, I didn't mean to "tease" anybody into thinking there was actually a new tallest coming -- I should offer my two cents. I'd like to see a mix-use building (especially since that seems to offer the best chance of any real height) of 45-55 stories, or about 650-700 feet. It would have primarily a glassy exterior, perhaps a blue or even a reddish color, and tapered to an interesting peak or top. In other words, not a box-top like US Bank, Chase, 411, etc. See Cinicinnati's newest tallest, Queen City Square. While the tiara top sort of cheats and adds about 100 feet of height, it appears art deco and should provide that city with a memorable signature tower...pretty nice, IMHO. And as for a location of Milwaukee's new tallest, I've long ago stated that I like the parking lot East of the Pfister on Jefferson. I think this general location would work best for a new tallest to bridge the existing skyline.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I would put something in the 50-60 floor range in that block that held that westbound loop on-ramp at the pre-rebuild Marquette interchange (Clybourn/Michigan/James Lovell(7th)/8th), now surplus WisDOT property. Second-to-none visibility and access - you're staring right at it as you cross the I-43/94 'Highrise' Bridge northbound and several new off-ramps feed right into that area. That has got to be the most valuable single piece of surplus public land anywhere in the State of Wisconsin.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #12
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Man, the thread title was a huge teaser for me.

me too. I expected some shiney new tower glistening off of Lake Michigan!
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #13
NeuBrew

Tall buildings are so 80s man.

Seriously though, if you really look at the facts on the ground in Milwaukee they seem to be building at a sustainable rate -- but not overdoing it. In order to have a 50 story building, you'd need a tenant. First things first, who would that be?

Just curious though, do you drive a Hummer?
NeuBrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #14
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post
Tall buildings are so 80s man.

Seriously though, if you really look at the facts on the ground in Milwaukee they seem to be building at a sustainable rate -- but not overdoing it. In order to have a 50 story building, you'd need a tenant. First things first, who would that be?

Just curious though, do you drive a Hummer?
I agree that a major tenant, or two, is needed before any thoughts of a large office component can be considered -- ie. Lake Pointe Tower. I disagree with you, however, that tall buildings are "so 80's man." Are you suggesting that tall buildings are not being built anymore? I believe the facts support that there is most definitely interest in tall buildings these days.

Why is it germane to this thread as to the type of car I drive?
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

I'd be the first to say new skyscrapers don't equate to a vibrant city (Charlotte is a great example of this!)... But come on guys I think skyking just wanted to have some fun with this thread.

I'd like something like 40-story building on that jefferson/mason corner... but the first floor retail component has to work and I'd actually like to see it apartments at the lower levels and office higher-up.

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #16
looksee

Likes (Received): 104

If you think 1 is good, then 2 will do wonders:

With apologies to CGII
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #17
bjkeys321

isn't the second building "the ugliest building in the world" even if it's not, i think it is...
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #18
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
If you think 1 is good, then 2 will do wonders:

With apologies to CGII
Now this is what I'm talking about! It's nice to see imaginations running wild, and actually plugging in buildings to see how they'd shape the current skyline. Thanks...although, that pyramid building IS a scary-looking number. (Is that the one in Moscow?) Anyway, I appreciate your participation -- nice panoramic shot of the entire skyline, by the way!!

And, Twoaday, yes, I'd rather have a vibrant city with density than a bunch of glass towers without character and street-level activity. Speaking of which, I was Downtown last evening and made it a point to drive past the new "Bronz Fonz" sculpture at the Milwaukee River and Wells. It was around 7PM, and I was very pleased to see the amount of street life going on for a Tuesday night -- not only around the sculpture, but all over. Very fun to see a vibrant Downtown.

Anybody else have the notion and/or ability to sketch in some building into the existing skyline?
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #19
looksee

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeys321 View Post
isn't the second building "the ugliest building in the world"...
Yup, that's how Google lists it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
...although, that pyramid building IS a scary-looking number. (Is that the one in Moscow?)
It's in friendly downtown Pyongyang, North Korea. Construction begun in 1987, and not quite finished yet. I was thinking of adding Joe Stalin's Moscow U., but I think this hotel captured the spirit.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #20
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

Thats funny i was acutally going to do the same thing with the north korea tower lol such a weird and mishapen building.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote