daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #41
Skyking2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Are you altering the point (or pointe) of your own thread?

Say, why don't you take a shot at cutting, pasting, and kind of creating too?
Aw, go ahead. You might surprise yourself.
Or not. I honestly don't have a clue how to do that...
As for altering the point of the thread...I'm not sure I undertand what you mean. I'm just looking for any interesting renderings that anyone can put together for our viewing -- and dreaming -- pleasure.
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #42
looksee

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
As for altering the point of the thread...I'm not sure I undertand what you mean.

I'd like to help you figure that out, but, as with the design work, I guess you just prefer acting clueless.

Last edited by looksee; September 3rd, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
looksee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #43
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post

I'd like to help you figure that out, but, as with the design work, I guess you just prefer acting clueless.

Ok, enlighten me then...
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #44
looksee

Old September 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #45
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

This thread should be deleted It blows hard cold clamy ****

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #46
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 28

So I'm totally bumping this but I need to plug this 786' tower I designed a couple of years back...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
CGII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #47
looksee

Looks nice.

Maybe try adding some of those Deco touches on the ground level pillars too.

(Sorry, it's the critic in me; it just can't keep itself stifled.)
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #48
bjkeys321

Likes (Received): 20

ahh I really like it. What location did you put this beast at? If you have time, I think it would be cool if you posted a shot of the skyline coming into the city from I-43. (By the Brewery and empty Park East) It might be neat to see this as the focal point of the skyline with US Bank in the background; just personal preference though. Good work!
bjkeys321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #49
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeys321 View Post
ahh I really like it. What location did you put this beast at? If you have time, I think it would be cool if you posted a shot of the skyline coming into the city from I-43. (By the Brewery and empty Park East) It might be neat to see this as the focal point of the skyline with US Bank in the background; just personal preference though. Good work!
It would be nice to see some different angles and have it under different light... at dusk for example. I do like the building design but the base and crown are a bit less appealing to me than the streamline, blue glass mid portion. Maybe if you added street level retail space or a close up as to what the lobby would look like? And the crown - how would it be lit up at night? The daytime vantage point from Commerce St. makes the crown look a little out of place with the color scheme.

And what are you plugging it for? Fun? Or business? Just curious.

Feel free to use any of my Milwaukee skyline photographs in your renderings CGII if you'd like.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #50
Skyking2
BANNED

Nice work, CGII!! Now, this is what I was talking about when I first started this fantasy thread. I like the look of the building, and its slender design could possibly work out to about 1 million sq. feet of space -- about the same as US Bank.

I agree with incorporating the Art Deco look at the base as well. Two things,
first, perhaps this building is a bit too tall for Milwaukee's skyline...and it doesn't appear to be to scale with other buildings. At 786' it's approx. 184' taller than the US Bank. Can you scale it proportionately at this height, and aslo re-draw it at about 700'?

Second, I'd love to see this building (at around 700') on the lot just east of the Pfister, or next to the Milwaukee Athletic Club -- a site often mentioned for a new high rise. I think a new tallest in either space would "tie-in" the skyline nicely...at least east of the river.

Thanks for your effort!
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #51
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:

Second, I'd love to see this building (at around 700') on the lot just east of the Pfister, or next to the Milwaukee Athletic Club -- a site often mentioned for a new high rise. I think a new tallest in either space would "tie-in" the skyline nicely...at least east of the river.

Thanks for your effort!

For once I agree with you Skyking2, that spot near the Pfister, and the spot next to MAC are both great locations for Milwaukee's Tallest!!
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #52
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltown View Post
For once I agree with you Skyking2, that spot near the Pfister, and the spot next to MAC are both great locations for Milwaukee's Tallest!!
Thanks, however, I think businesses prefer a marquee street name on their address. Assuming the address of the proposed MAC property is Broadway, that street hasn't had the notoriety of, say, a Wisconsin Avenue. Or, the "across-from-the-Pfister" address would be Jefferson St. Again, not a real recognizable street compared to Wisconsin Avenue.

But, things do change -- not everything can be built on the "Ave." While I'm not so sure about Jefferson St., "Broadway" actually sounds big league enough for a law firm to call home. While I actually prefer the site on Jefferson across from the Pfister, I'd "settle" for North Broadway just fine.

A location that I thought would've been nice for a sizeable high rise is the SE corner of Kilbourn & Van Buren. But, someone put up that butt-ugly, two-story residential thing! That is an amazing location with high visibility, and look what sits there now.

Anyway, hopefully others with the know-how will join CGII and add to this thread. Can anyone do a skykine rendering by condensing the major buildings (15-stories and taller) downtown to form a more dense look? Milwaukee's skyline is quite spread out. It would be interesting to see what it would look like concentrated in, say, the area bounded by the lake, Milwaukee River, I-794 and Kilbourn.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #53
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Skyking2;39850580] A location that I thought would've been nice for a sizeable high rise is the SE corner of Kilbourn & Van Buren. But, someone put up that butt-ugly, two-story residential thing! That is an amazing location with high visibility, and look what sits there now.QUOTE]

There is still a proposal for an apr. 15-story apartment building on that corner, by New Land Enterprises. There is plenty of room left for a tower, as that townhouse parcel was very narrow.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #54
Skyking2
BANNED

[QUOTE=MilwaukeeD;39855834]
Quote:
A location that I thought would've been nice for a sizeable high rise is the SE corner of Kilbourn & Van Buren. But, someone put up that butt-ugly, two-story residential thing! That is an amazing location with high visibility, and look what sits there now.QUOTE]

There is still a proposal for an apr. 15-story apartment building on that corner, by New Land Enterprises. There is plenty of room left for a tower, as that townhouse parcel was very narrow.
Thanks, yes, I'm aware of New Land's proposal, but 15 stories is...well, underwhelming -- especially as with residential floors. Also, New Land is a little scary. Watch how this thing unfolds. Then, let's see if they build anything that's worth a darn. NL has a bit of a history already...
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM   #55
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 45

I'm going to float an idea, Why not reclad and renovate the US Bank tower? I am sure of you add an additional 4 story roof and a spire the US bank tower instead of being listed at 600 ft could end up taller than 700 ft or more. I am sure one of you guys could even come up with something to visulize how a renovated US bank tower might look like. I know that this could get done because of the reclading being done in Indianapolis and what was done years ago to the Republic tower in Dallas. So I ask why not do this to the US bank tower in Milwaukee?
MJinOshkosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #56
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1022

Milwaukee's "spread out" skyline could actually work in its favor. By simply adding a few taller buildings to the mix suddenly you have a whole new sense of scale to the city.

For example, taking CGII's photo and adding only 4 buildings to the original skyline - ranging from about 500 feet to 900 feet or so - you could get something like this:

OK, easier imagined than done. But the point is that judicious additions to a city can really change perceptions.

BTW, I always though Milwaukee could handle spires on its buildings better than, say, Minneapolis. The latter is more modernist while Milwaukee could really go crazy with fun, sculpted crowns on its towers.
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #57
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Milwaukee's "spread out" skyline could actually work in its favor. By simply adding a few taller buildings to the mix suddenly you have a whole new sense of scale to the city.

For example, taking CGII's photo and adding only 4 buildings to the original skyline - ranging from about 500 feet to 900 feet or so - you could get something like this:

OK, easier imagined than done. But the point is that judicious additions to a city can really change perceptions.

BTW, I always though Milwaukee could handle spires on its buildings better than, say, Minneapolis. The latter is more modernist while Milwaukee could really go crazy with fun, sculpted crowns on its towers.
Very cool! Now we're getting somewhere. Nice job, although four buildings of this size would require probably 4 million sq. feet of office space. (US Bank has 1 million sq. feet, for example). But, this thread is all about "what ifs," and I like what you came up with. And, I agree, the spread out skyline would be impressive if filled in as you show. And, since there's no way to condense existing buildings, this is the way it is.

I think it would be interesting to see if someone could add even the proposed buildings-- or those floated recently --to the existing skyline, buildings such as the Moderne, Lakepointe Tower, the Chase addition, the Catalyst, the Palomar, New Land's Transera condo tower on Prospect, St. John's on the Lake (also on Prospect), etc. Looks like you're pretty handy with Photoshopping, Avian001...
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #58
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

How's This

Yea, yea, yea.... I know.... you see the same building in variations. But this could be the Northern Miami.
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #59
Paule

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post

I agree!
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #60
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post

Yea, yea, yea.... I know.... you see the same building in variations. But this could be the Northern Miami.
Very interesting. I remember when you first posted this a while back. Yes, sort of looks like Miami...or Honolulu. You know, if the Transera gets built, and once the St. John's tower is up, the view from the lake may be Milwaukee's best. Thanks for the submission.