daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #181
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
A beautiful, stunning, gorgeous design. Really elegant. I truly hope this one gets built ... I was so depressed about the demise of the Signature Tower in Nashville and the Chicago Spire.

Yes I agree that outside of New York and Chicago, Miami is a city with an impressive skyline. Here in Philly we have the 975 ' Comcast Tower which is also one of the great skyscrapers in the US.
agreed the Comcast tower set Philly's skyline OFF!!! it looks great now,Philly doesnt get the respect it deserves for its skyline! it has height and density,with a mix of old school buildings ranging from the 1700's to ultra modern sleek skyscrapers! I like Philly's skyline!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #182
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10271

To dmoor's comment a page back- I understand that OKC does envy Tulsa in respect to our skyline but Tulsa's skyline is our pride and joy and the one thing we have at #1. Tulsa has been going through about a decade of an inferiority complex where we try to make our city receive national attention and try to bring people in but to no avail. Oklahoma City's MSA receives 15,000+ people each year while Tulsa gets 5,000+ if its lucky. Oklahoma City and Tulsa used to have a healthy competition but it seems as if now Oklahoma City is jumping leaps and bounds and Tulsa is left to fend for itself. The state government respectively has all but forgotten that a third of its income comes from the Tulsa area. In fact, the state government is so preoccupied with OKC's problems that i sometimes wonder if they even know Tulsa is in Oklahoma. I hope that after Brad Henry leaves (and i did support Brad Henry), that the next governor will be from Tulsa regardless of their party. If it happens to be a super-ultraconservative from Tulsa to an moderate Democrat from OKC, ill vote for the ultraconservative just to show that this part of the state is still populated. But don't think that Tulsa is out. The BOK Center, a new ballpark, Downtown renovations, the Art Deco columns, Brookside improvements, the revival of Brady and Blue Dome districts, and hopefully that Bronze indian statue that will be several hundred feet high will put Tulsa on the map. That said, for both Tulsa and OKC, the cities have nothing going for them (no identity). I think that OKC should try to bring back its Indian/Cowboy roots (kinda like Fort Worth) and Tulsa should bring back a more Art Deco/Italian Villa/Terracotta City identity. Hopefully both of our cities will grow as i do love Oklahoma a lot. If you've read all the way down here, thanks for your time.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #183
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

I prefer Tulsa as well. I like both cities but Tulsa has better architecture and I think it's a prettier city. My wife is from that area and she loves Tulsa, too.

I do like the Bricktown [I think that's the name] area in OKC though...very cool. I need to get back up to Tulsa someday soon to see how it's looking these days. Last time was in the 90's.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #184
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

a little over 2 months till const. starts!!!!!!!
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #185
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
If it happens to be a super-ultraconservative from Tulsa to an moderate Democrat from OKC, ill vote for the ultraconservative just to show that this part of the state is still populated. But don't think that Tulsa is out
Sorry, but that is incredibly selfish. Voting for someone that most likely isn't what's best for our state just because he/she comes from Tulsa? With that thinking, Oklahoma will never amount to anything and it may be the very reason why Tulsa is in the situation it's in, that is, if people from Tulsa have the same mindset as you when it comes to electing important officials; especially our State Governor. Just Saying. But please don't take that offensively. I love Tulsa. I was born there actually.

BTW, I don't envy Tulsa's "prettiness". Actually, it's kinda of petty to always use that as a reason why Tulsa may be better than said city, because honestly, you can't grow beautiful hills and natural forestry. Oklahoma City is located in the flatter, more desolate part of the state when it comes to terrain. We can't change that. It's permanent. Tulsa's scenery isn't something that is accomplished., because we all know that if Oklahoma City could somehow grow legs and walk, it wouldn't be here, it's be in some picturesque valley or some coastal paradise.

Oh and that wasn't directed towards anyone. I just always kinda figured that terrain and scenery are predetermined, and the ability to construct a beautiful, functioning city, no matter the location is what's really important.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #186
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof2010 View Post
Sorry, but that is incredibly selfish. Voting for someone that most likely isn't what's best for our state just because he/she comes from Tulsa? With that thinking, Oklahoma will never amount to anything and it may be the very reason why Tulsa is in the situation it's in, that is, if people from Tulsa have the same mindset as you when it comes to electing important officials; especially our State Governor. Just Saying. But please don't take that offensively. I love Tulsa. I was born there actually.

BTW, I don't envy Tulsa's "prettiness". Actually, it's kinda of petty to always use that as a reason why Tulsa may be better than said city, because honestly, you can't grow beautiful hills and natural forestry. Oklahoma City is located in the flatter, more desolate part of the state when it comes to terrain. We can't change that. It's permanent. Tulsa's scenery isn't something that is accomplished., because we all know that if Oklahoma City could somehow grow legs and walk, it wouldn't be here, it's be in some picturesque valley or some coastal paradise.

Oh and that wasn't directed towards anyone. I just always kinda figured that terrain and scenery are predetermined, and the ability to construct a beautiful, functioning city, no matter the location is what's really important.
Good points,I agree with you 100% on your post, but lets get back to topic-The DEVON TOWER will change OKC's skyline so dramatically,and hopefully more highrises will follow! it would be nice to have a couple 600-700 footers and then it would even it up!
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #187
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

I'm hoping Rick Dowell comes through with his residential tower, doesn't appear that it's going to be that way though. OKC can also hope for a high rise hotel, something other than all these little Holiday Inns and the like. The NBA and growing entertainment districts that prompt more tourism can definitely help anchor in a high rise hotel. Other than that I really don't see OKC getting another tower. I know a lot of us hoped for Chesapeake to build one but that can't happen. Maybe a few more big corporations will move into downtown when Devon Tower is complete and prompt construction of another high rise office. Who knows? Personally I'm still waiting on wind energy to pick up and some new big wind energy company makes it's home in OKC or Tulsa.

It's definitely in the top 25 of most beautiful designs in America, imho. It's (or rather going to be) such a sleek tower, it's wonderful that OKC is getting this.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; July 28th, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #188
AJohnstone

Likes (Received): 2

I think this design will be a good suit for Oklahoma City. I'm really looking forward to this being built.
AJohnstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM   #189
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I'm hoping Rick Dowell comes through with his residential tower, doesn't appear that it's going to be that way though. OKC can also hope for a high rise hotel, something other than all these little Holiday Inns and the like. The NBA and growing entertainment districts that prompt more tourism can definitely help anchor in a high rise hotel. Other than that I really don't see OKC getting another tower. I know a lot of us hoped for Chesapeake to build one but that can't happen. Maybe a few more big corporations will move into downtown when Devon Tower is complete and prompt construction of another high rise office. Who knows? Personally I'm still waiting on wind energy to pick up and some new big wind energy company makes it's home in OKC or Tulsa.

It's definitely in the top 25 of most beautiful designs in America, imho. It's (or rather going to be) such a sleek tower, it's wonderful that OKC is getting this.
dowells tower will never happen! and it would be great if one of the two metro's could draw in a wind energy co.,as for the additional highrises-I would like to see a 30-35 st. 350-450 ft hotel tower be built here but it probb wont happen any time soon,we will have to wait to see what is on the MAPS 3 ballot if a convention center is on the ticket and one gets built then the need for a hotel highrise wil be likely!
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #190
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

New rendering of Devon:

shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #191
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

NICE!!!It's about time some more renderings have came out! I wanna see one at night time!
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #192
BioScientist

Likes (Received): 34

Why is this tall building in Oklahoma City? It should be in Houston,TX

:-D

Nice one!
BioScientist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #193
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

No, it should be in Oklahoma City.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #194
jbrown84

Likes (Received): 0

New renderings have come out:

Last edited by jbrown84; August 16th, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
jbrown84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #195
jbrown84

Likes (Received): 0

Also, the thread title needs to be changed from "pro" to "app". That should have been done months ago.
jbrown84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #196
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Beautiful renders. We're gonna have to make two trips to see this one....one when it gets topped out and one when it's fully clad. It is going to dominate the OK skyline in a big way!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #197
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Beautiful renders. We're gonna have to make two trips to see this one....one when it gets topped out and one when it's fully clad. It is going to dominate the OK skyline in a big way!
Yeah it will! there's a rendering that is from the SW part of OKC that looks like the skyline is flipping you off!!!!
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #198
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Wow, this is a pretty slick looking tower.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #199
NEWWORLD

Likes (Received): 87

great project, classy and modern at the same time!

Отац Тадеј
NEWWORLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #200
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

It's sharp and it's clean, if a little plain but very good quality for headquarters.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city