daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #2021
Thunder84
Famous Deaf Dude

Likes (Received): 0

I took a lot of general pictures, not Devon specific, but most pictures have Devon within them, so I thought it be kool to share them on here. There are many other constructions and the new I-40. In about 10 years later, OKC will not look the same. Everything is changing so fast. We already have another skyscraper set to be unveiled sometime this year.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...okc/OKC011612/

If no one can see the album, I could add them on here directly.

Last edited by Thunder84; January 17th, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Thunder84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2022
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

This skyscraper is so beautiful.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2023
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxokc View Post
Bok in Tulsa is the 2nd tallest in the state like a previous poster said.
Yeah,I know that!Actually if everyone wants to get technical,Tulsa has 4 taller buildings than OKC's Chase,so that previous poster was wrong.I was going by the person I qouted,assuming they were asking about OKC's skyscraper ranks,not the State of Oklahoma's!

Last edited by dmoor82; January 17th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #2024
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

January 14 2012

UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2025
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

great video. I love the shadow that Chase puts on City Place tower.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:21 AM   #2026
UnFrSaKn

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...anuary%202012/

Old January 21st, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2027
kingchef

Likes (Received): 4

the comment made by hot rod is one of the arguments for one of memphis' proposed tallest hotels in the city proper. initially, the plan called for construction of two towers, one slightly over 400 ft and the taller, which was reportedly going to be 467 ft. however, a highrise, which falls to the north of the proposed construction, houses some extremely wealthy and influential memphians. these folk complained that one, or perhaps, both towers would
cast an immense shadow throughout the day on their current highrise condos. apparently, the developers went back to the drawing board and made some extensive revisions. later, it was presented to the proper development committee, and it was approved. ultimately, the project went back to the developer, after the 2009 start date was moved to 2010. too, the redraw came back w/ the cut of the 27 story building, while increasing the larger tower to a much greater ht. as far as anyone knows, all of the remaining project is in tact, and allegedly this plan is much more impressive than the first. yet, the developer is currently finishing up a new office building downtown, but he has not stated when work will begin on the skyscraper.

so, one group likes or isn't significantly annoyed by cast shadows, while one group seems to very concerned. i just wonder how other cities solve these problems where the density, rivers, and other landmarks are important to all who live in the city.

okc has established a really big parameter to work w/in. anybody know what ht the next downtown building will hit, and how many planned skyscrapers or highrises are proposed for the cbd. i'm sure civic leaders realize that a connection needs to be made between the extreme ht of devon and the other downtown buildings. it really is attractive, and it does really give a lot of bang for a lot of bucks. i think most scraper junkies would be envious of such a wonderful city addition. best of luck, okc.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:29 AM   #2028
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

king - will you all's new skyscraper be built in downtown Memphis? I really hope so, and would be tremendously excited for a near 500 foot building for you all. With Memphis river setting, even a 500 footer would make a HUGE difference. I hope you all can get it done!

As for downtown OKC proposals, there are rumors for towers and there are planning for others; but from what I (and probably other OKC expats/residents) would say are next in line for downtown are:

1) Convention Center hotel - this will likely be a highrise hotel building(s) given the footprint of the new CC and the desire for the city to have 600+ rooms. The current tallest hotel in OKC (and the state I think) is the Renaissance Hotel. It is 15 floors (around 175-200 feet) right next to MidAmerica Tower (old Devon HQ). Renaissance has 311 rooms. The footprint of the new CC hotel likely would be similar, so double the floors to around 30+ and the height to at least 350. The new hotel would move downtown skyline south a bit. Not sure when it would be complete. ...

2, 3, 4) SandRidge Office Tower - this is a hard rumor of a proposal by SandRidge to build a new tower on the footprint of their campus. This is in addition to the new Activities building they will build to replace the Petroleum Building across the street and the retrofit and expansion to the historic Braniff Building on the campus block. I believe Braniff is 10-storeys (maybe 150-feet?) and its expansion will be a mirror in height but with a modern facade - essentially 'fattening' the building. I think the new Activities building will be in the 10-storey range but will have high floors/ceilings (so maybe around 150-200 feet).

It was 'announced' that the new office tower will be significant, but most of us do not expect it to be taller than the 30-storey existing heritage KerrMcGee tower, most are expecting something in the 20's range which would fill-in the CBD core a bit. No idea on the timeline for the new office tower, but work is underway on the Braniff restoration then expansion as well as the new Activities building.

5. .....) There is speculation of a new HQ tower for another OKC company or new HQ relo. Some think it may be OKC-Based American Fidelity or Chesapeake Energy (wanting a downtown presence) or both, or either or both leasing in a speculative tower(s). .. OKC-Based MidFirst Bank is also in the speculation to build a new HQ tower 'somewhere' in OKC, we're hoping it will be downtown.

6) There is some speculation that Continental Resources will outgrow the old Devon Tower that they purchased as their new home. Some suspect they may desire a new tower of significant size if their growth matches/exceeds the 750 employee projection.

7) There is rampant speculation of a new speculative tower or two. I will let other OKCers enhance this as I don't really know much detail(s).

8) a developer has been purchasing land immediately across from Devon yet no one knows what he will do with it. Some are speculating there may be a highrise apartment tower (s) rise from it; but this has been an extremely hush hush development.

9) non-CBD but still downtown, a developer will build an 11 or 12 storey building in Bricktown. It will be a combination hotel operation under the Hilton Umbrella - Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites. I think most of the building will be HGI, but the extended stay Homewood Suites catoring to longer-term business travelers. The new dual hotel tower will be the tallest building in Bricktown and be built immediately next to the 9-storey very urban Hampton Inn; both buildings are/will be on the outfield of the baseball park.

10) there are many infill mid-rise and low-rise developments surrounding the CBD. The greatest focus right now is in the Deep Deuce section and in the MidTown area. Automobile Alley (between the two) is seeing a lot of heritage restoration and reoccupancy, fast becoming OKC's hip urban scene area, again. Deep Deuce itself is really beginning to have the true urban downtown neighbourhood feel and appearance.

11) there are high-rise and mid-rise developments in the Oklahoma Health Center, due East of downtown. The University of Oklahoma and the district's foundation is on a nice building spree adding and expanding buildings, the tallest of which was the recently opened new Children's Hospital of Oklahoma and the OMF headquarters tower (with it's wind turbine roof, not sure if it is functional).

I like OKC's pace and current development, nice low and mid rise inner core infill of office and hotel, and lower rise (not quite midrise, but taller than low-rise) residential infill. There is also an emphasis on reuse of historic or older buildings in the CBD, which is also nice to see.

Sure, I would love for the high-rise and skyscraper rumors to solidify - and I suspect many of them WILL this year and so does the mayor. But OKC's steady pace of redevelopment and civic infrastructure investment has been hugely successful and it doesn't look to stop anytime soon. OKC truly has largely been untouched relative to other major cities in this regard (although OKC itself did take a hit in 2008, as approved/announced projects did stop briefly in mostly 2010 starts, but 2011 saw a return).

Kudos and best wishes to other cities!! Come take a look at the new OKC in a few years, if you get a chance. ...
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2029
Sooners4Life
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 0

The taper toward the crown is so sick. I wish is was similarly tapered at the base like some of the original renderings, but that's nitpicking.

Planning to come home for Thanksgiving this year, and given the current rate of progress, I'm betting the exterior will be complete and cranes will have been disassembled. I'm hoping the public can walk through the rotunda by then.
Sooners4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2030
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8512

19 January 2012
image hosted on flickr

by AlonzoAdamsOKC

image hosted on flickr

by AlonzoAdamsOKC
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2031
UnFrSaKn

January 20 2012

Old January 27th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #2032
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By shawnw, Jan 20th.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2033
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

The last pic is excellent!
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2034
UnFrSaKn

January 23 2012

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2035
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

very nice!
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2036
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Looking good! I bet the views from the top are amazing!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2037
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Opening before summer?
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #2038
UnFrSaKn

January 29 2012

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #2039
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Looking great!

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2040
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By KayneMo,

[img]http://i42.************/9ifihd.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.************/ivgto5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i41.************/2djp18o.jpg[/img]
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote