daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2061
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

More to come...

Downtown Oklahoma City abuzz with building

Developers, city officials provide an update on more than $1 billion in construction under way in downtown Oklahoma City.

Published: February 12, 2012

More than $1 billion in construction is under way downtown — at this moment. Some of the projects, most notably the 50-story Devon Energy Center, can be spotted miles away. But others are less visible, and yet more work is on the drawing boards and on the cusp of keeping the construction industry gainfully employed for years to come.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2062
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By worthy cook,

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2063
spectre000

By KayneMo,

[img]http://i42.************/3uesi.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i40.************/2m3k1tk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i40.************/24x4f9h.jpg[/img]
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2064
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

It is looking fantastic! I really love it. It is nice to see Memorial Park included at that picture. Please forgive my ignorance, did they ever rebuild Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2065
UnFrSaKn

The new federal building is here.
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2066
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Thank you!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #2067
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

all, I 'just' returned from a trip to OKC - and I must say, OMG this skyscraper is simply impressive and beautiful.

Im not just saying that because OKC is my hometown, I think it is the most beautiful skyscraper I have ever seen - including Chi, Shanghai, NY, Vancouver, ... These pics do NOT do this building justice, you MUST see it in person; up close and miles away, to really see the presence of this magnificently beautiful skyscraper.

OKC is moving ahead in more ways than this building, but I must say - Devon is the headliner and OMG, what a statement. ....

Do yourself a favor if you like skyscrapers and find a reason to spend a day in OKC. You will not be disappointed. ...
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #2068
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
all, I 'just' returned from a trip to OKC - and I must say, OMG this skyscraper is simply impressive and beautiful.

Im not just saying that because OKC is my hometown, I think it is the most beautiful skyscraper I have ever seen - including Chi, Shanghai, NY, Vancouver, ... These pics do NOT do this building justice, you MUST see it in person; up close and miles away, to really see the presence of this magnificently beautiful skyscraper.

OKC is moving ahead in more ways than this building, but I must say - Devon is the headliner and OMG, what a statement. ....

Do yourself a favor if you like skyscrapers and find a reason to spend a day in OKC. You will not be disappointed. ...
I have family from Boston that visit OKC on a regular basis,after picking my two cousins up from WWRA,We took I-44 onto the new stretch of I-40 and both of them said WOW!They both could not believe a skyscraper like this could be built in dinky OKC!I took them to the OK river,Deep Deuce,downtown/Bricktown and lastly by the Chesapeake campus,and they were amazed that OKC had develpment like that!I think that if someone from Boston says WOW,then your doing something right.People that have a bad or negative perception of the city need to visit again and take it all in!
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2069
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

I can imagine! But I think in future I'llnot visit OKC...
A shame
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #2070
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

I went to OKC last week as well. This building is absolutely beautiful. The area is also looking up although finding parking was an awful experience and the downtown area is surrounded by pretty ugly neighborhoods and highways like crazy. The transportation system seems chaotic and messy as well. I hope this building is just one step in OKC's urban transformation because one building doesn't make a city "modern" or "great". OKC has great potential but this involves making downtown more pedestrian friendly, prettier, and buzzing. The place was dead around Devon and you wouldn't know the area had people if every parking spot wasn't taken. I also think OKC should spruce up its highways and get rid of all the factories near downtown. I think Tulsa should do the same. People don't like living next to 1900s run-down factories. That's true everywhere in America.

PS-I had some of the best Chinese food in the Asian District. On the other hand, the Myriad Gardens were a huge rip off. $21 for some plants. Nah, I should have just walked around the garden in the back by the Devon.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2071
Rubba

Likes (Received): 0

This building looks great OKC is looking better and better
Rubba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2072
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Its neat, clean and sofisticated.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2073
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I went to OKC last week as well. This building is absolutely beautiful. The area is also looking up although finding parking was an awful experience and the downtown area is surrounded by pretty ugly neighborhoods and highways like crazy. The transportation system seems chaotic and messy as well. I hope this building is just one step in OKC's urban transformation because one building doesn't make a city "modern" or "great". OKC has great potential but this involves making downtown more pedestrian friendly, prettier, and buzzing. The place was dead around Devon and you wouldn't know the area had people if every parking spot wasn't taken. I also think OKC should spruce up its highways and get rid of all the factories near downtown. I think Tulsa should do the same. People don't like living next to 1900s run-down factories. That's true everywhere in America.

PS-I had some of the best Chinese food in the Asian District. On the other hand, the Myriad Gardens were a huge rip off. $21 for some plants. Nah, I should have just walked around the garden in the back by the Devon.
Only an urban purist would make such observations. Honestly, I didn't think that OKC was this ghastly when I visited way back in 1995. Even back then it reminded me of most Sunbelt downtowns.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2074
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Crown pics from Cooper_GOIVM @OKCTalk!
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #2075
UnFrSaKn

More via Cooper Ross...

These kinds of shots are what need to replace the dated photos you see everywhere of our city.
http://goivm.com/

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #2076
spectre000

Those are fantastic!
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #2077
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

This scraper' looks great!
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #2078
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

It dwarfs the rest of the skyline.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #2079
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
More via Cooper Ross...

These kinds of shots are what need to replace the dated photos you see everywhere of our city.
Incredible shots!
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #2080
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15093

If OKC had one more tower about 100ft shorter than Devon Tower then the skyline would be perfect!

It seems that this is the biggest buzz OKC has had in years, my uncle in OKC sent me an email the other day talking all about it.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city