daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM   #2221
LegitimateAnswer
:P

Likes (Received): 2

Oklahoma City has one of the poorest skylines imo. This is a great addition!
LegitimateAnswer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #2222
UnFrSaKn

April 1 2012

Film Row

http://www.flickr.com/photos/william...th/6891544018/

image hosted on flickr
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #2223
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Excellent shot and Excellent District in the making. Looks very much like Automobile Alley, but more URBAN dare-I-say!
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2224
UnFrSaKn

image hosted on flickr
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2225
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

April 6, 2012

courtesy of KayneMo
[IMG]http://i44.************/107p6k1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/2586pox.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.************/fa4hub.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.************/33uxyzb.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.************/rw83mp.jpg[/IMG]

Dulahey took this is from SH-9 and Portland in Southern Newcastle suburb, 20 miles away.

So much for OKC being barren and not having any trees! Can't believe stereotypes.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2226
fozzy

Likes (Received): 82

Oklahoma city has a poor skyline but this is a fantastic building and hopefully will lead to other great developments.
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2227
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

When people say OKC has a poor skyline it kind of irks me!What kind of skyline is a metro of 1.3 Million people supposed to have?I base skylines off of population,for instance Tulsa ranks high on my list and cities like Des Moines and Little Rock rank high because they hit heavy anong skylines/ thier population!Anyone else agree with me?OKC does NOT have a poor skyline,it has what is supposed to have,and don't be supprised if you dont see OKC with a couple more skyscrapers over 500'ft tall within the next 5 years,infact I'll bet You that OKC will see atleast one at that height within 2 years!
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2228
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

i agree, I think people automatically are comparing OKC to much larger cities if they think the skyline is 'poor'. OKC has 6 legitimate skyscrapers at/over 400 feet in a dense cluster - not too bad for a 1.3M USA metro.

And like dmoor said, more are to come, but OKC's skyline is hardly poor. In fact, I would call Salt Lake's or Phoenix's skylines poor and OKC would be average-to-slightly above.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2229
jmarkross

Someone else would have to check the facts--but--I believe, when built, the two 1930's 400+-ft towers were, at the time, the two tallest buildings west of the Mississippi River.

Not bad at the time they were built.
jmarkross no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2230
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10271

The OKC skyline is bad in quality but has good quantity for a city it's size. Without the Devon Tower, though, the skyline's quality and quantity would both be underwhelming.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2231
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

i agree with what has been said above. OKC has a great skyline for it's size.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2232
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity to those who have recently posted, do you share the same/similar opinion of Memphis's, Salt Lake, or Phoenix?

OKC and Memphis are neck and neck in size, but I'd argue OKC has the best skyline even without Devon, hands down. This is not to knock against Memphis, but skyline wise I would say IT is underwhelming and is poor on quality and definitely quantity much moreso than OKC pre devon. I'd make the same argument about SLC, also a simiarly sized metro. Maybe throw Milwaukee in there too.

Phoenix is much larger but its downtown looks more akin to OKC's suburban skyline. It has gotten better, but would people agree with me that OKC is/was better skyline-wise even pre-Devon. Again, not a knock on Phoenix but I'd like to gauge why people are saying this about OKC's skyline when IMO it actually isn't and wasn't that bad.

Im not asking about city vs city, Im only trying to get a feel how people view those city's skylines based on my own opinion, so I can appreciate what they are ranking OKC low in.

Thanks all.
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #2233
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Just out of curiosity to those who have recently posted, do you share the same/similar opinion of Memphis's, Salt Lake, or Phoenix?

OKC and Memphis are neck and neck in size, but I'd argue OKC has the best skyline even without Devon, hands down. This is not to knock against Memphis, but skyline wise I would say IT is underwhelming and is poor on quality and definitely quantity much moreso than OKC pre devon. I'd make the same argument about SLC, also a simiarly sized metro. Maybe throw Milwaukee in there too.

Phoenix is much larger but its downtown looks more akin to OKC's suburban skyline. It has gotten better, but would people agree with me that OKC is/was better skyline-wise even pre-Devon. Again, not a knock on Phoenix but I'd like to gauge why people are saying this about OKC's skyline when IMO it actually isn't and wasn't that bad.

Im not asking about city vs city, Im only trying to get a feel how people view those city's skylines based on my own opinion, so I can appreciate what they are ranking OKC low in.

Thanks all.
yeah, im interested too. Lets throw Tulsa in the mix, what do you think of it ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2234
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

big for a city its size
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #2235
papa_spaz

Oklahoma city's skyline from a distance does look very poor. That one pictures makes it look like downtown only has 3 buildings. Just stick to pictures that are angled upward/close up and it looks fine.

OKC needed the devon tower desperately which is the only building over 500 feet tall. Honestly, they need two more new towers in the 550-650 range for a city it's size.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #2236
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
OKC has 6 legitimate skyscrapers at/over 400 feet in a dense cluster - not too bad for a 1.3M USA metro.
It's really good IMO. Jacksonville Florida has a similar population metrowise and I end up wishing it had a skyline as good as OKC's.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2237
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
Oklahoma city's skyline from a distance does look very poor. That one pictures makes it look like downtown only has 3 buildings. Just stick to pictures that are angled upward/close up and it looks fine.

OKC needed the devon tower desperately which is the only building over 500 feet tall. Honestly, they need two more new towers in the 550-650 range for a city it's size.
it's because there is a hill in the way? you could take a photo of nyc from the right location and all your would see is freedom tower.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2238
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:

Thanks all.
In all honestly and this is just my opinion, OKC (pre devon) had and still has a better skyline than Phoenix. Now as far as Memphis & SLC go I say OKC has the edge over both.
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #2239
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post

New Orleans has the best skyline IMO,of metros under 1,5 Million people!OKC is were its SUPPOSED to be even before devon!I am willing to bet OKC will have 3 or more towers constructed within the next 5 years,two being the CC hotel and Sandridge's tower!There will be atleast two towers over 600'ft constructed in that span!Give it time,OKC is just starting to boom right now!
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2240
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Looking east towards downtown on the new I-40 freeway.

[IMG]http://i43.************/30ma6c0.jpg[/IMG]
KayneMo

Tags
oklahoma city