daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2012, 05:42 AM   #2341
CincyBearcats

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I can, speaking as someone from a state with Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

Because it's Oklahoma City and not a more recognizable, larger city, some feel that OKC shouldn't have this building.

I won't say that OKC doesn't "deserve" it (cities build, regardless of size), but even the citizens of OKC have to admit it does look a little out of place.

P.S., internet arguments are childish.
Umm, I don't view OKC any different than Dallas or Houston just like most around the country. We just realize that Dallas and Houston are much bigger. On the discussion of this building, it's world class and IMO is better than any building in Texas. So good for Oklahoma in that regard.
CincyBearcats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM   #2342
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
From NewsOK:

That first pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein okc! View Post
i've never understood the extreme hate and jealousy for okc on this site.
Perhaps it's because many of the OKC posters have chips on their shoulders and are offended at the first word typed by anyone, no one can have a differing opinion other than "DEVON TOWER IS THE MIGHTIEST TOWER OF THEM ALL! IN FACT, IT'S TALLER THAN BURJ DUBAI!"

I mean, as silly as that sounds, that is how some of you come off when someone unfamiliar with OKC makes a post that you all don't like.

Can we all just move along now? OKC is a smaller city on the bigger scale. Now, am I saying it's "small?" No, I am not. And OKC is also up and coming in many respects, it has such diverse development going on right now, that given time, OKC will keep making a name for itself.

Those are all pretty darn close to being factual. Everyone knows that now, let's quit the bickering stuff.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; June 21st, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2343
CincyBearcats

But you have to give Devon credit (which no one here is denying them of it), they really did build one of the best buildings in the country during the Great Recession. Most cities build horrible looking buildings because they are quick to put their name on the tallest or newest building. Here in Cincinnati, a city home to a plethora of large companies, we just got our new tallest topped out about a year ago. Great American Insurance is the main tenant, and from certain views it looks spectacular, especially the crown at night. Although, if viewed from the south or north, it is short and fat. This was just a quick gamble to build the highest building in downtown with your name on top of a crown that lights up and changes colors. Its a great building... from the 80s/90s. Devon went over the top on this one, and it shows. Even if it overpowers a lot of the surrounding buildings, it gives a smaller metro area like OKC some really nice attention, and doesn't look half bad from street level.

Short and fat:

image hosted on flickr

Cincinnati Skyline
by Lecinaj, on Flickr

Awesome side view:

image hosted on flickr

City Of Cin - Chapter One -41 by aaron.davidson, on Flickr

Last edited by CincyBearcats; June 21st, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2344
JJG

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBearcats View Post
Umm, I don't view OKC any different than Dallas or Houston just like most around the country. We just realize that Dallas and Houston are much bigger. On the discussion of this building, it's world class and IMO is better than any building in Texas. So good for Oklahoma in that regard.
They're much bigger, and have MORE buildings, with a handful already in, around, or pass the 900 ft. range..... that was my whole point in saying that.

And IMO, no, I don't see it as anything etter than any building in my state. Let's just leave it at that.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2345
CincyBearcats

Quote:
They're much bigger, and have MORE buildings, with a handful already in, around, or pass the 900 ft. range..... that was my whole point in saying that.

And IMO, no, I don't see it as anything etter than any building in my state. Let's just leave it at that.
I don't really care what you think, I stated what I think. So... leave it at that.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2346
ein okc!
devonian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
That first pic:

Perhaps it's because many of the OKC posters have chips on their shoulders and are offended at the first word typed by anyone, no one can have a differing opinion other than "DEVON TOWER IS THE MIGHTIEST TOWER OF THEM ALL! IN FACT, IT'S TALLER THAN BURJ DUBAI!"

I mean, as silly as that sounds, that is how some of you come off when someone unfamiliar with OKC makes a post that you all don't like.
we don't have a chip on our shoulder, it's just incredible the inaccurate comments that get passed for fact on this site. it's an okc phenomenon, that doesn't seem to effect the other cities with posters on here. i think people on this board's unfamiliarity with okc promotes ignorance on the level of urban development all around downtown. the comments on here are kinda bush league, and sometimes they're so tacky i can't help but provide local analysis.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2347
Bellaboo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

I believe that Devon has more square footage than any office building in the state of Texas, 1.9 million sq feet. Houstons biggest is 1.7 and Dallas 1.8 million. Ft Worth has nothing close to compare. As far as quality, Devon has the upper hand for the time being.
Bellaboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #2348
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

^ He's attacking Ft.Worth! Somebody stop him!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2349
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
I believe that Devon has more square footage than any office building in the state of Texas, 1.9 million sq feet. Houstons biggest is 1.7 and Dallas 1.8 million. Ft Worth has nothing close to compare. As far as quality, Devon has the upper hand for the time being.
Square Footage was not even remotely what I was talking about, nor did I even mention my hometown.... nice first post bro.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2350
Bellaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
^ He's attacking Ft.Worth! Somebody stop him!
Ha Ha ! I've had relatives in Ft Worth for 30 years......I know all about the place.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2351
Bellaboo

Quote:
Square Footage was not even remotely what I was talking about, nor did I even mention my hometown.... nice first post bro.
'I don't see it as being better than anything in my state'......No offense, but you need to come up and take a look. Go inside and check it out. I like Texas also...been in and out of there for over 50 years, but Devon is a superior project. The LED lighting will be completed in August, will be stunning.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2352
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
'I don't see it as being better than anything in my state'......No offense, but you need to come up and take a look. Go inside and check it out. I like Texas also...been in and out of there for over 50 years, but Devon is a superior project. The LED lighting will be completed in August, will be stunning.
That was response to some northerner saying that it looks better than ANYTHING Texas has, not me personally saying that EVERYTHING in Texas looks better.

I'm not dissing the Devon building, but I'm also not saying it's the best looking building I've ever seen.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2353
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Could you people go argue some where else.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2354
CincyBearcats

Quote:
That was response to some northerner saying that it looks better than ANYTHING Texas has, not me personally saying that EVERYTHING in Texas looks better.

I'm not dissing the Devon building, but I'm also not saying it's the best looking building I've ever seen.
"Some northerner" and pretty damn proud of it!

It's my opinion, get over it. On the topic of the building, I think it looks better than anything in Texas, and said most around the country do not view Dallas or Houston any different than OKC, most just realize they are much larger.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2355
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBearcats View Post
"Some northerner" and pretty damn proud of it!

It's my opinion, get over it. On the topic of the building, I think it looks better than anything in Texas, and said most around the country do not view Dallas or Houston any different than OKC, most just realize they are much larger.
Which is the problem I had with it.

I actually like the building, but no matter how much I DO like it, I still don't think it fits in that much.

I'd say the same if it was here in Fort Worth, only because we only have 6 real skyscrapers and they don't reach past 600 ft.... OKC more so because the current buildings are a lot more traditional.

Last edited by JJG; June 22nd, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2356
Bellaboo

Quote:

I actually like the building, but no matter how much I DO like it, I still don't think it fits in that much.

I'd say the same if it was here in Fort Worth, only because we only have 6 real skyscrapers and they don't reach past 600 ft.... OKC more so because the current buildings are a lot more traditional.
I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb at first, but from the Northeast view it's awesome. It completely dominates from the West view, probably a little too much, but since were all used to it, it looks good. In September, the resturant at the top (Vast) opens up...would be worth the trip, just make reservations. I know the banquet space up top is already reserved into the summer of 2013. I prefer Ft Worth over Dallas any day of the week as far as livability goes.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2357
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

How about some fresh pics?

And how about one of you create an argument thread in the SE or Texas forums?

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #2358
ein okc!
devonian

Likes (Received): 1

i agree. something needs to be done about these yankee northerner carpetbaggers.

i do think the bearcats dude was just trying to point out a fairly innocuous thing that we all jumped all over him. yes, down here we do have our ok v. tx rivalry, but to outsiders it's one in the same. most call us texas lite or north texas.

that's hardly the least patronizing remark from the same poster, but i guess it's the one that the most number of people are offended by ironically.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #2359
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

All I can say is I'm very impress with all the things going on in OKC

jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2360
CincyBearcats

Quote:

And I am saying I don't care if you had a problem with it, I am not going to make it a problem of mine. I stated my opinion, it was nothing more than that. I think it is better than anything in Texas. This building put OKC on the map for a lot of people around the country. I know it's just a building, but it is so much more than that. I never gave the Great Plains states the time of day before. Finding out about this building really got me interested in OKC. Not only to find out about this building and the awesome happenings going on at its base and the park across the street really got me interested in OKC's development as a whole. Compared to Jacksonville (a very sprawly city with a one major league sport town and comparable metro population) OKC is doing wonders. OKC is investing in its core, and showing everyone it can be a real playing in the urban world. This building put a lot of attention on OKC, and deservedly so.

Tags
oklahoma city