daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #2381
JJG

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
That's what they said about Southland Life, Republic Bank and First National way back when---
Well it does still look out of place.

...but to be fair, so does this thing:

If it looks good and the locals love it, then that's all that should matter.

Last edited by JJG; July 10th, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #2382
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
That's what they said about Southland Life, Republic Bank and First National way back when---
But those buildings were very close in height. There's a 350 ft difference between the Devon Tower and Chase Tower.

Here's the Dallas skyline in the 60s

Here's the Dallas skyline in the 50s

Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2383
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

It's a nice looking tower. I've never been to Oklahoma City but it looks like a definite improvement for the city.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2384
jmarkross

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
But those buildings were very close in height. There's a 350 ft difference between the Devon Tower and Chase Tower.

Here's the Dallas skyline in the 60s

Here's the Dallas skyline in the 50s

They were close to the same height--after they were all there. They were not built simultaneously.
The Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building stuck out.

Silly reasoning and argument. I was around Dallas and Houston as they were built and they did just fine.

Do you think cities should be erected all at once?

Oklahoma City is just making bigger leaps.

Last edited by jmarkross; July 10th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
jmarkross no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2385
jmarkross

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well it does still look out of place.

...but to be fair, so does this thing:

If it looks good and the locals love it, then that's all that should matter.
Cities should be just whatever happens. That's what makes them interesting.
BTW--this bridge is quite nice.

I could do without all the out-of-date shopping-center "lighting lines" that make D-FW look so garish. And what's with the "big X's" on the buildings?

LED's is the current technology--and far more economical. Time to retrofit Dallas.
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2386
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21061

Am I the only one feeling these complaints about "the building looks out of place" are totally unwarranted? All places with "consolidated skylines" sometime in the past had a first thing going up. Even Manhattan, for sake!

Building a whole skyline of buildings at once is the exception rather than the rule.

I feel that some people appear to be a little resentful as in "this tower is nice, hence it shouldn't be built in Oklahoma City because city x/y/z/ is better than OKC and deserves the building more".

This is a privately financed building, there is no such thing of a place "deserving" (or not) a building...

Joshua Dodd liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2387
JJG

Quote:

I could do without all the out-of-date shopping-center "lighting lines" that make D-FW look so garish. And what's with the "big X's" on the buildings?

LED's is the current technology--and far more economical. Time to retrofit Dallas.
Several Texas cities have LED lighting. And that 'X' you see is part of a pattern on the building. If you saw it at daytime, you'd understand.

Besides, it's not just OKC that people would feel this building would be "out of place".

If it was in San Antonio, it would be out of place. It would be out of place in Fort Worth. DEFINATELY in El Paso. People would say the same thing if it was in Tulsa, Omaha, Sacramento, Mobile, Orlando, Raleigh, Buffalo, Little Rock, and pretty much any city in that range or smaller. It's not a diss (well, from MOST of us it's not a diss), just weird.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2388
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

"It's out of place" = weird.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2389
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Am I the only one feeling these complaints about "the building looks out of place" are totally unwarranted? All places with "consolidated skylines" sometime in the past had a first thing going up. Even Manhattan, for sake!

Building a whole skyline of buildings at once is the exception rather than the rule.

I feel that some people appear to be a little resentful as in "this tower is nice, hence it shouldn't be built in Oklahoma City because city x/y/z/ is better than OKC and deserves the building more".

This is a privately financed building, there is no such thing of a place "deserving" (or not) a building...
This is a great post.

Quote:
Several Texas cities have LED lighting. And that 'X' you see is part of a pattern on the building. If you saw it at daytime, you'd understand.

Besides, it's not just OKC that people would feel this building would be "out of place".

If it was in San Antonio, it would be out of place. It would be out of place in Fort Worth. DEFINATELY in El Paso. People would say the same thing if it was in Tulsa, Omaha, Sacramento, Mobile, Orlando, Raleigh, Buffalo, Little Rock, and pretty much any city in that range or smaller. It's not a diss (well, from MOST of us it's not a diss), just weird.
However, I can see the arguments for it being too large for some cities in general. It would really look like a sore thumb in Little Rock, for instance. But, I wouldn't have a campaign against it, I'd say "good for Arkansas."

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2390
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

I think it's a very solid meh,but will be a great skyline filler.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2391
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
^ BWA-HA-HA!
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2392
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Quote:
The Devon Tower is definitely not a 'meh' tower. It's the tallest building completed in the US so far this year and is quite a world-class building with an elegant look. I agree with your second point.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2393
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
The Devon Tower is definitely not a 'meh' tower. It's the tallest building completed in the US so far this year and is quite a world-class building with an elegant look. I agree with your second point.
I think he means it's a 'meh' as far as being in another city that has LOADS of skyscrapers. NYC, Chicago, L.A., Houston, San Fran, Philly.... those places.

It definately works as OKC's tallest.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2394
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:

I guess you haven't seen recent pictures of Dallas. The Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel is covered in LED lights. The lights on the Reunion Tower was recently changed to LEDs.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2395
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
I think he means it's a 'meh' as far as being in another city that has LOADS of skyscrapers. NYC, Chicago, L.A., Houston, San Fran, Philly.... those places.

It definately works as OKC's tallest.
Yeah,I mean this isn't no Shard,1WTC,2WTC,or Shanghai World Financial Center but it is a great skyline addition.World Class?Nah

Last edited by OnePointWest; August 27th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #2396
jmarkross

Well--I think we can all agree it IS a "conversation piece".

Only people that really need to like it are the ones who built it.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #2397
jmarkross

Quote:
Yeah,I mean this isn't no Shard,1WTC,2WTC,or Shanghai World Financial Center but it is a great skyline addition.World Class?Nah
It is important to remember that Oklahoma City has only existed since 1889, not long in the scheme of things, and in the early 1930's had the two tallest buildings west of the Mississippi.

And it grew from a population of zero to a quarter million people in about 25 years--back in the day.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2398
jmarkross

The Skydance Pedestrian Bridge over the new I-40 through OKC is a nice addition to the city. It is at the southern end of the new large park being built between the Devon Tower and the Oklahoma River Boathouse District.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=skydance%20bridge

http://boathousedistrict.org/
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2399
Bellaboo

Likes (Received): 0

Now the Skydance Bridge has some LED's going on, take a look at the previous post. And when it's racing, it's phenominal. It's also 192 feet above street level at it's tallest point.
Bellaboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #2400
jmarkross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I guess you haven't seen recent pictures of Dallas. The Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel is covered in LED lights. The lights on the Reunion Tower was recently changed to LEDs.
Thanks for that update.
Wonder how much Reunion saves with LED's -vs- whatever was there before?
LED's are marvelous, thinking about them for my home--once they get some decent designs and more plausible forms for home use. CFL's must do for now.

Tags
oklahoma city