daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #501
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Tulsan's don't care if we lose the tallest building title. We still have the prettiest, cleanest, most cosmopolitan, family friendly, manageable, dense, cultural, artsy, architecturally stunning, greenest, peaceful, musical, and vibrant city in the state. OKC can keep growing its cookie cutter housing and south Chicago neighborhoods, while Tulsa shines. As far as i'm concerned the Devon Tower would look much better in Tulsa. The only thing i envy about OKC is that it is the capital and that Stillwater is in it's sphere of influence more than Tulsa nowadays. That's about it. Love the Devon Tower btw
I just gotta say this. Oklahoma City is in the limelight. Tulsa isn't. For some reason, Tulsans are always touting their supposedly superior cosmopolitan, cultural, vibrant, dense, and friendly amenities, but mass and national media say otherwise. The numbers, stories, development, and growth speak for themselves. Tulsa is being left in the dust, no matter how pretty you say the trees are there.

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #502
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

sounds like a bit of Tulsan Tall-Poppy-Syndrome. regardless, this a great project and I look forward to it continuing upwards...
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #503
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof2010 View Post
I just gotta say this. Oklahoma City is in the limelight. Tulsa isn't. For some reason, Tulsans are always touting their supposedly superior cosmopolitan, cultural, vibrant, dense, and friendly amenities, but mass and national media say otherwise. The numbers, stories, development, and growth speak for themselves. Tulsa is being left in the dust, no matter how pretty you say the trees are there.
I agree! I dont mean to be such a OKC Homer,and I'm not anti-Tulsa,but some bs has got to be called out!dont get me wrong Tulsa is Beautiful and boast some of The Greatest Art Deco on Earth! How about this-GO Oklahoma!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #504
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Well that was a shockingly stupid series of posts. Where are the mods?
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #505
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

I agree Uaarkson, let's get back to topic and forget that little hiatus that consumed us Oklahomans for a brief moment.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #506
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Don't worry I wasn't meaning anything by my comments, sorry if it seemed that way. I just wanted to discuss a couple little things.

It's COOL, Dude!

(image from img.photobucket.com)
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #507
Arleen

Likes (Received): 0

I've moved here bout 2 years ago and must say I am impressed. I didn't know what to expect but must say it is a very underrated city.
Arleen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #508
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

fighting over the tallest building in the state. That doesn't make sense to me. We did that in our state once but that was for worlds tallest and before my time. What every gets the blood flowing. The design is top tier in terms of design.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #509
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Classof2010 did an AWESOME photo thread of downtown OKC and some of its densest new infill areas, just wanted to share these two photos with the Devon tower cranes in the skyline! You should look at the rest of his photos here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1125503

Looming over the Arts District midrises:

image hosted on flickr

Peeking out from the CBD skyline (this will be an interesting angle, with the giant Devon Tower sticking out almost to the top of this frame eventually!) :

image hosted on flickr
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #510
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Oklahoma City skyline is seen like they're stuck in early 80s. Devon Tower would be great additional to that skyline. Are there any plans for more skyscrapers?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #511
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkiest View Post

agreed. they suck
Who is They? You TROLL!
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #512
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Who is They? You TROLL!
PLEASE do not waste your time replying to spammers. Just report the post to the mods. I've reported this same spammer 20 times already using other accounts.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #513
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
PLEASE do not waste your time replying to spammers. Just report the post to the mods. I've reported this same spammer 20 times already using other accounts.
Your right Spectre,I'm going to refrain from responding to Spam and Negative post! because both aren't worth The trouble!
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #514
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Tulsa rocked all the way until 2000. Now OKC has taken the lead. People knew Tulsa back in the day and couldn't have cared less for OKC, simple truth. And second OKC is "shining" thanks to the people taxing themselves for all their CBD and Bricktown projects, maybe not all but a lot. Good ol' "Public/Private Partnership" at it's finest. It's okay though because I'm for the betterment of Oklahoma as a whole so I have no problem with OKC emerging the way it is. Now let's all move on and never speak of this again. Thanks for the updates Classof and Shane, please keep them coming.

And speaking of other tower projects, whatever happened to the so called "rumored" mid or high rise residential tower planned by that strange, secretive guy...? Shane I think you may know who I'm talking about.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #515
shane453

Crazyaboutcities- our skyline IS stuck in the 80s! Luckily we're getting good, modern infill on the ground levels though. Check out that photo thread I linked to if you want to see some of the new architectural styles in urban OKC.

Quote:

And speaking of other tower projects, whatever happened to the so called "rumored" mid or high rise residential tower planned by that strange, secretive guy...? Shane I think you may know who I'm talking about.
Yeah, Rick Dowell's thing. Still nothing has been said about it, but the urban development journalist Steve Lackmeyer does seem to occasionally allude to something else still being potentially out there. There was recently an article on how well Dowell's office tower renovation project in downtown is doing, so maybe once he has earned plenty of income from his other projects, he will move forward with whatever residential he may have planned.

There are also some midrises in the Medical District across the highway from downtown, so there are always a few tower cranes over there.
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #516
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Pretty much every skyline in the west of the US is stuck in the 80s and 70s
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #517
shane453

This thing is HUGE already (photo vandy okctalk.com)

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #518
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Wow lol. When they poured the base I was wondering if the size was going to match what the renderings made it look like. After some of the last pictures, it appears that yes, it's going to be very large overall.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #519
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Wow lol. When they poured the base I was wondering if the size was going to match what the renderings made it look like. After some of the last pictures, it appears that yes, it's going to be very large overall.
Yeah I had no real idea on how really big this thing is until I went down to The sight and looked at it in person,and Wow!it is a massive project!
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #520
runway whore
runway whore

Likes (Received): 0

I might actually have a reason to visit Oklahoma City now..ha

Tags
oklahoma city