daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #61
backupcoolm3n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

why thank you lol
that guy is just an idiot, and doesnt even make any sense
cant wait for this to be built btw
backupcoolm3n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #62
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

According to the people I talk too this thing is far from a go, at least not at its current size. A delay this early in the project is a very telling sign, and with the movement away from oil gaining a lot of steam Devon is reevaluating its future needs for office space.

As far as paying for the building upfront, a lot of large companies can do that. They just dont because its stupid. Paying close to a billion dollars upfront could be financial suicide for a company as small as Devon, that money is much better off being spent elsewhere and on the things a company knows best. In this case that is obviously not building skyscrapers.
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #63
jbrown84

Likes (Received): 0

THERE'S NO DELAY!! I don't know where anyone is getting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Yea, at first it was to be started in spring of 09. Now it looks like it'll be fall of 09. I wish they would just get started..
It was always expected to start construction in Q3 of 2009...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arist View Post
Push backs. First sign that a building wont be built.
There's been no pushing.

And Devon is not an oil company, it's an energy company. It's assets are evenly divided between oil and natural gas and they have no allegiance to traditional energy sources. We aren't going to be moving away from oil and natural gas anytime soon, and even as we do, Devon will adapt.
jbrown84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #64
jbrown84

This should be changed to "Apr".
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #65
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Its ok. Most of these people are just mindless migots that don't know a thing about OKC. A lot of them seem to think that we have a bad economy? Uhhh, news flash! Oklahoma City has one of the strongest economies in the U.S. I know the national economy still effects us, but its not slowing down this tower.

And what is this delay we're hearing about? IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN PLANNED FOR A THIRD QUARTER 2009 GROUNDBREAKING! Where is this April stuff coming from? There's no delay, what the hell are you guys talking about. Especially some of you that should know better.

Lol. I just saw J Brown's post. I put the exact same thing.

Last edited by Classof2010; October 18th, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Classof2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #66
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
According to the people I talk too this thing is far from a go, at least not at its current size. A delay this early in the project is a very telling sign, and with the movement away from oil gaining a lot of steam Devon is reevaluating its future needs for office space.

As far as paying for the building upfront, a lot of large companies can do that. They just dont because its stupid. Paying close to a billion dollars upfront could be financial suicide for a company as small as Devon, that money is much better off being spent elsewhere and on the things a company knows best. In this case that is obviously not building skyscrapers.
You seem to be campaigning against this project.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #67
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Is Devon Going to fill the entire building?
Arist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #68
Classof2010

Yes, but not immediately.

When they move in they will occupy almost all of the building, but they're going to have extra space for future growth which is smart because you don't want to move into a building and then immediately grow out of it.

It is a privately owned building so yeah, its theirs and only theirs.
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #69
jbrown84

They will be the only tenant. The building is being designed to meet their projected growth for 4 years from now. The tower portion of the project will be secure and thus not really work for leasing out to other tenants, even if they have some available space for the first few years.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #70
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Ok, so it was always planned for 3rd quarter, but I thought when they announced the plans back in the Spring, they said it would be a year before construction would start. Now it's Fall and they're saying construction will start in a year. So delay or no? According to classof and jbrown there is no delay, so let's clear that up.

And for the last time, no one said anything about it being smart or stupid to pay up front. My point was is that Devon has plenty of money to fund this project, there's no need to worry about funds, since they are an oil, excuse me, energy company.

And yes Devon will eventually fill the entire building. I think right after completion they are going to move in 1,000 or more employees, is that right jbrown and classof? And the building is fit to hold 3,000 or 4,000 of their employees. Something like that, I forget all the details

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #71
jbrown84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Ok, so it was always planned for 3rd quarter, but I thought when they announced the plans back in the Spring, they said it would be a year before construction would start. Now it's Fall and they're saying construction will start in a year. So delay or no? According to classof and jbrown there is no delay, so let's clear that up.
The "one year from now" thing was said when they revealed the tower plans just a couple months ago. So no delay.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #72
Classof2010

They announced plans in August and a year from that would be Quarter 3, 2009. We knew nothing but speculation of a tower in spring of this year. We found out that a skyscraper was being planned in late spring/early summer. But we knew no details of when it would break ground until August 21st.

Gosh dangit Jbrown.
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #73
jbrown84

Well, there was an announcement about 9 months ago that they were going to build on that site, but it wasn't until around August 20 that they revealed the rendering, height, square footage, site plan, and begin construction date.
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #74
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Ok, I was confused. I thought they released the renderings in the Spring. Ok my bad everyone. Dang it's only been that long?

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #75
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28162

wow, this is a very impressive tower, the entrance also looks top class.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #76
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Yes it is very unique I think. I forget the specs already but I think it'll either be 5 or 10 stories tall. All the specs should be on the fornt page somewhere. But yea it's a very nice atrium and goes wonderful with the tower.

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM   #77
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

this will change the city skyline for good.
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM   #78
guitarisawesome

this tower looks so good but i really wish it wasn't going to stick out of the okc skyline like a sore thumb....but with okc seemingly booming lately im hoping that there will be support towers built around it before too long
guitarisawesome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #79
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Most of the people outside of OKC see that it will look awkward, at least imo, but the people of OKC are hopeful and use Charlotte as a reference and their Bank of America tower I think it's called. We're hoping that some residential or a hotel will propose something taller than 500 feet that will help blend it in.

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #80
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

moved post

Last edited by shane453; November 26th, 2008 at 05:00 AM.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city