daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #801
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Looking absolutely excellent, thanks for the updates.
Any local updates on companies that will possibly move in to the towers currently occupied by Devon? I know it's still a little while.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #802
Russian Sam
Real name Илья (Ilia)

Likes (Received): 313

Looks great! I think it will be most beautiful building in the middle west.
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #803
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Cool webcam skyline shot of downtown from KSBI. Looks like it's from one of the highrises on the Northwest Expressway. Find Devon on the far right, getting tall!

shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #804
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

wow its really looking awesome on the skycam picture.
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #805
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By OKCisOK4me. 10-24-10.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #806
spectre000

By ndmoore, 10-29-10.

Old October 30th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #807
spectre000

By DelCamino, today.

Old October 30th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #808
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Excellent.

The size of it from the webcam shot looks impressive already. This really will dominate everything about the skyline.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #809
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

One concern people have expressed was the fact that Devon will be vacating almost 1 million sf of office space in the rest of downtown to move into this new building. Devon CEO has been telling us that he's been talking to his powerful corporate leader friends in other parts of the country and building a lot of interest in Oklahoma City. Devon also said they only wanted the building to go to an owner-occupier, not to a commercial real estate firm to lease space.

The old main Devon building, a 20-story tower a few blocks from the new tower, just sold for $22 million, and it is a very tight secret right now who the actual buyer is. All they have said is "Devon's goal was to not have any gap in the occupancy of the building, and this accomplishes that."

The firm that handled the transaction also said there were more than a dozen potential buyers who were looking at the building. Meaning there are more than a dozen companies large enough to be owner occupiers of a 20-story building that are at least considering relocating to downtown OKC.

http://www.newsok.com/devon-energy-s...ad_story_title
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #810
spectre000

That's great news. Nice to see a major corporation looking out for the market and community as a whole.
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #811
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Definitely something to keep an eye on. I wonder who or what it could be? Hopefully not another energy company. OKC needs to diversify a little.

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:30 AM   #812
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

You mean other than The Aerospace,Government,Bio sector,and Health sector that's allready a strong force in OKC!I agree with you The Energy sector is by far The largest in OKC but with Tinker AFB and Boeing moving in that is a major player as well!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM   #813
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
You mean other than The Aerospace,Government,Bio sector,and Health sector that's allready a strong force in OKC!I agree with you The Energy sector is by far The largest in OKC but with Tinker AFB and Boeing moving in that is a major player as well!
Those don't dominate like the energy sector does... And Tulsa has all that too. Anymore every city has a strong health sector and/or some kind of tech. sector. I understand they are diversified, every city has to be, but it would be neat if something other than a company similar to Sandridge, Chesapeake, Devon, etc. would come in. After all, oil and natural gas futures aren't very predictable and may be on their way out depending on future policies. Who knows?

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #814
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Those don't dominate like the energy sector does... And Tulsa has all that too. Anymore every city has a strong health sector and/or some kind of tech. sector. I understand they are diversified, every city has to be, but it would be neat if something other than a company similar to Sandridge, Chesapeake, Devon, etc. would come in. After all, oil and natural gas futures aren't very predictable and may be on their way out depending on future policies. Who knows?
I agree with you but Tulsa has nowhere near The presence in The State/Govt.(TAFB,State Capitol) and Health(OUHSC complex)as OKC!There is speculation over which company bought up Devon's current dig's,maybe Continental Energy out of Enid,OK?Hertz,MidFirst???
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #815
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I agree with you but Tulsa has nowhere near The presence in The State/Govt.(TAFB,State Capitol) and Health(OUHSC complex)as OKC!There is speculation over which company bought up Devon's current dig's,maybe Continental Energy out of Enid,OK?Hertz,MidFirst???
Tulsa has a rather large medical district. Two in fact. But I'm not going to compare because I'm not very familiar with OKC's. And as for the government sector, well of course, being the capital city OKC will always have the upper hand in that. And besides, that's not always a good thing, in my humble opinion.

I could see Continental Energy, not quite sure if they would just up and leave Enid. Plus Devon's CEO said he's been asking around the country if anyone is interested. Surely there's something more than Continental Energy.

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:46 AM   #816
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
And besides, that's not always a good thing, in my humble opinion.
Why not? Government jobs are incredibly stable in comparison to other sectors and provide ample employment. They're usually not minimum wage either and they help cushion the effects of an economic downturn. OKC's medical district is in fact bigger than Tulsa's, but that's a given due to the comparable sizes of the two cities. It's not a big deal actually. OKC's economy is pretty diverse I would say, it just seems that Downtown happens to be the hotspot for the energy companies I guess! It would only be logical though as it would portray an image of dominance ala Devon and their new tower. It's a statement.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM   #817
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

my thoughts exactly Class, why not?

Tulsan's often cite OKC's economic and political position in their reasons to hate OKC - so it appears as if being a government center IS a big benefit to a city. Just ask Denver, SF, Chicago, NY, ATL, and especially DC. ... All government centers like OKC. Im sure if OKC didn't want the capitol anymore, Tulsa wouldn't shun it away but probably would be first in line and throw any incentive to get it. OKC has benefitted from being a government center, with state, local, and FEDERAL employment levels that are the largest per capita outside of DC. What city wouldn't want that on it's resume. ..... In fact, Im surprised there aren't more private and contract employment in OKC considering that is almost ALL that exists in DC outside of the Federal Government. You telling me Tulsa wouldn't want that kind of economy? ...

I think you might want to reconsider your statement/thinking a bit and come off the Tulsa 'high horse' a little bit. Tulsan's in general have ALWAYS been jealous (civic-minded) of OKC's prowess and in the past it was due to being a government center, now - OKC has diversified into more of a true economy.

And OKC's health sector is much larger than Tulsa's. Remember, most of it is govt research (if you need help to back up this claim).

I dont want this to turn into a Tulsa-OKC thread; we had too many of them. But I do get tired of Tulsan's coming on here downplaying what OKC has or is. Just face it, OKC is the #1 city in Oklahoma and Tulsa is #2. Nothing wrong with that, everybody has a place. If Tulsa could work together with Oklahoma City - Together we could make the state a better place, in fact, the state is already is MUCH better with OKC taking its' natural role, than when Tulsa was the 'defacto #1 city' in the 1970's and tried to keep everything to themselves and take shots at the 'cow-town down the pike'. ..

Let's pull synergy and work each other's strengths to get jobs of all kinds and funding into this state.

Last edited by Hot Rod; November 3rd, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM   #818
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Lol, ok you guys (particularly Hot Rod) took my posts the wrong way. Once again you play victim and start throwing out that OKC can compete with NYC for the world city spot...

Contrary to popular thought, I am in fact a huge cheerleader of OKC and I keep up on everything they are doing. I don't fall into the mindless "OKC vs. Tulsa" stuff that, what seems to me, to be plaguing OKCers, almost as if you all have chips on your shoulders. I didn't say Tulsa was better, I said they can compete or have some or a lot of what OKC has as well. It's my personal opinion to want OKC to diversify their economy because of my thoughts on future energy policies and usage, etc.

Let's all move on now and get back to the topic. And classof, I take it you are going to UCO? How you liking it?

-Jacques Barzun
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #819
spectre000

We need some new photos, so here they are, from Oct 31.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Paul L McChord Jr
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #820
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

TU'cane, please accept my apologies. My post wasn't specifically directed to you (at least the Tulsa part), it was just my feelings on the issue whenever somebody from there who has a grudge against OKC comes on trying to make OKC's economy look inferiour due to it being a large government center or whatever other reason they come up with.

I agree we should move on and enjoy updates about Devon tower and watch OKC grow.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city