daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #841
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

I'd say stellar for an iPhone, I know mine stinks at big shots like that.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #842
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
The only place where this will look out of place is from The SouthEast part of The city!it looks really seperated from the rest of dt from that vantage point!
Maybe some infill over time will cure that
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #843
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
Looking toward downtown from Midtown this afternoon. Not bad for an iPhone, right?

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #844
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Cool. Starting to make its impact on the skyline.

~from the 7th:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plmccordj/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plmccordj/
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #845
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Seeing the rapidly changing skyline of downtown OKC makes me think of the 'at least' 2 popular songs with the city prominently mentioned. ..

Route 66: 'and OKLAHOMA CITY, looks mighty pretty'. ....

AND

Heart of Rock N Role: 'Tulsa, Austin, ... OKLAHOMA CITY. ... Seattle, San Francisco. Good....'
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #846
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

An update from Devon Energy to its employees. From Oct 28.
http://www.tnttri.com/OKCTalk/devonupdate2.pdf

Here's a couple pictures,

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #847
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

http://www.tnttri.com/OKCTalk/devonupdate2.pdf

Here is the actual update, in .pdf.
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #848
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

It's absolutely gorgeous!

If only that stupid Dewey Bartlett weren't around, then Tulsa would be whooping ass right now
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #849
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Very nice presentation. I know this tower will transform OKC like never before. Rock on!

Last edited by TXSkyWatcher; November 16th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #850
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post

If only that stupid Dewey Bartlett weren't around, then Tulsa would be whooping ass right now
I moved from Tulsa a little over 2 years ago and I don't know anything about Dewey Bartlett but his name alone sounds like a bubba who hangs out in a pool hall in small town Oklahoma. Maybe because I went to a pool hall in Dewey, OK once and there were a bunch of bubba's hangin out.

Anyway OKC is on the right track and I know a few people who are eyeing OKC as a relocation spot. I found them some OKC videos on youtube about people from NYC, LA and other major cities who moved to OKC and fell in love with it and were plesantly surprised at the urban scene and housing stock. It was interesting to watch.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #851
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:

Lol, how about Kathy Taylor's antics as well? In now way am I defending Bartlett by the way, he is terrible. But Kathy Taylor spent Tulsa into debt and had so many behind the scenes deals that make Dewey look somewhat innocent right now.

We need an active mayor and a city council willing to work together and truly benefit Tulsa. Sure the BOK Center and the ball park are great but it's more than that and as of right now, last I heard, we were having a little trouble paying for those. Don't know if it's true or not.

Ok back to topic, I apologize for getting it off track. By August 2011 its supposed to be at it's final height of 850 feet. That's impressive to say the least.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #852
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

ya, it's too bad Tulsa is having problems for the last "what" 20 years with it's leadership. I think it might just have a little to do with being the 2nd city as OKC has finally really pulled away and assumed it's 'natural' role. Tulsan's are perhaps shocked and can't figure out what to do next.

Also, maybe some are 'waiting' on OKC to finish so Tulsa can take it from there. That actually is a good approach - puck up where OKC leaves off. Because OKC can't do everything and it is great for Oklahoma to have 2 excellent cities. And it is more cost effective for Tulsa to wait (in a sense) so not to compete or duplicate what OKC is doing. Then, pick up from there.

Also, to be clear. OKC has it's problems as well - such as right now there are beginning to be signs of mayoral and council rifts. But in general, the city is very very pro business and all of the leaders are on board with moving OKC forward in terms of quality of life, jobs, and image. Most of the rifts are coming from the 'downtown vs. suburbs' clan (luckily, downtown is winning for the last 15 years), the 'morality' clan, and the 'keep OKC a small town clan.' Fortunately for Oklahoma, these sidetrack clans aren't having much effect other than stuff getting in the media. I am very happy that the public spoke out HARD AND FAST against a recent morality 'issue' regarding the LFL - where the mayor (who is otherwise, excellent) spoke against their bringing a franchise to OKC; people in the city spoke up and against him, most wanting the market to decide instead of a dictator or somebody in a pulpit. <--- This is a welcome change in the public and really shows how far OKC has turned, into a truly urban minded and progressive city, as in the past most would have just sat back and let some idiot decide what's right for them. Today - people stand up for their city and their rights to urban choices as they present themselves, regardless of who thinks they are moral. Monumental change in thinking and action when it comes to Oklahoma. ......

I am confident Tulsa will turn too, we just may need to give it time and allow OKC to grow up to more effectively represent the state and compete with other major cities. Then, with Tulsa giving the one-two punch, Oklahoma should be doing the best it has ever.

Sorry but I had to insert my feelings about Tulsa and Oklahoma City's change. I did'nt mean to take away from Devon tho.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #853
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Lol, how about Kathy Taylor's antics as well? In now way am I defending Bartlett by the way, he is terrible. But Kathy Taylor spent Tulsa into debt and had so many behind the scenes deals that make Dewey look somewhat innocent right now.

We need an active mayor and a city council willing to work together and truly benefit Tulsa. Sure the BOK Center and the ball park are great but it's more than that and as of right now, last I heard, we were having a little trouble paying for those. Don't know if it's true or not.

Ok back to topic, I apologize for getting it off track. By August 2011 its supposed to be at it's final height of 850 feet. That's impressive to say the least.
I've been trying to picture the final height in these recent skyline shots and am having a hard time imagining where in the skyline pics it's going to top off at.
I also did a search today for other skyscrapers that are similar in height that I've actually been in or seen in person and Bank Of America tower in Charlotte is pretty close in height which has helped me get a pretty good image going of how it will impact OKC's skyline when it's done.

I'm also wondering how far away it will be able to be seen on a clear day. I know the further west one goes the higher the elevation gain. I think the farthest away I've seen OKCs skyline coming from the west was maybe El Reno on I-40 or maybe it was between El Reno and Yukon. We need a math geek to caluclate line of sight.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #854
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
ya, it's too bad Tulsa is having problems for the last "what" 20 years with it's leadership. I think it might just have a little to do with being the 2nd city as OKC has finally really pulled away and assumed it's 'natural' role. Tulsan's are perhaps shocked and can't figure out what to do next.
You oversimplify it. Tulsa also has a population who voted against riverwalk development and small tax increases. The people in OKC voted for MAPS. Other than the leadership, the voters of Tulsa need to man up and support their city. It also doesn't help that Tulsa is having to compete with Broken Arrow rather than OKC. Anyway, back to the Devon!!!

Oh, and at least Tulsa's got a booming, fun downtown and is at least becoming more of a hip city compared to its neighbor metros
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #855
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Downtown Oklahoma City with Devon Tower.

UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #856
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
Downtown Oklahoma City with Devon Tower.

Great video. Thanks for posting.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #857
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Thanks for the video! Here it is embedded for better viewing access.

Old November 17th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #858
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Nicely done

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #859
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Oh, and at least Tulsa's got a booming, fun downtown and is at least becoming more of a hip city compared to its neighbor metros
:
Yes. OKC and Tulsa both are doing really good at that.
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #860
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classof2010 View Post
Yes. OKC and Tulsa both are doing really good at that.
Agreed. Oklahoma: The Ibiza Of North America!

Tags
oklahoma city