daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #921
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Some of the OKCers on here take things too personally, don't worry about it. But if you're talking about CBDs and downtowns in general, in no way, shape, or form is Tulsa more vibrant at this point. However, in my opinion, Tulsa's true self lies outside of the CBD and closer to the suburbs, it's more lively and much more to do the closer you get to the city's edge. I would make a case for a more vibrant Tulsa over OKC when it comes to areas outside of the CBD. Because in my eyes OKC has made a vast move towards the center of the city and most of the development this decade has pushed that way, which is the opposite with Tulsa.

We will see with this new tower how much it changes the landscape of OKC's CBD, which everyone is expecting to be exceptionally positive.
I agree with everything you said!Tulsa's suburbs are growing FAST and hogging some development from Tulsa but just 17 years ago MAPS was passed in OKC so all that has been developed in OKC has been in a short amount of time,and Tulsa has built two gems in The BOK and OneOk sport's venues and The fairly new city hall looks awesome!Tulsa will have it's time again one day and might just steal The momentum away from OKC,but whatever is good for each metro is inturn good for The State!I get kinda defensive of my hometown so I'll tone it down alittle!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #922
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Some of the OKCers on here take things too personally, don't worry about it. But if you're talking about CBDs and downtowns in general, in no way, shape, or form is Tulsa more vibrant at this point. However, in my opinion, Tulsa's true self lies outside of the CBD and closer to the suburbs, it's more lively and much more to do the closer you get to the city's edge. I would make a case for a more vibrant Tulsa over OKC when it comes to areas outside of the CBD. Because in my eyes OKC has made a vast move towards the center of the city and most of the development this decade has pushed that way, which is the opposite with Tulsa.

We will see with this new tower how much it changes the landscape of OKC's CBD, which everyone is expecting to be exceptionally positive.
So Tulsa is basically doing what OKC was doing up until the first MAPS program. Well problably not as bad OKC because we actually neglected our CBD and built up surburban areas like NW Expressway and Memorial Road. But now in OKC a lot of the newer development is downtown except Chesapeake's office park any way.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #923
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This shit needs to stop, for real. Reported.
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #924
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You have been reported also!No need for cursing!
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #925
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post

You need to chill out. While I agree that this isn't the venue for a lot of the posts in here, the "Tulsa vs. OKC" has stopped, the last few posts have been about healthy discussion comparing certain aspects of the two cities. Threads like this always get a little off topic, there's only so many updates one can post. Calm down, seriously, no one is forcing you to come to this thread. Look at the pictures and scroll past our posts. But my points have been made and I will try to get back on topic to the tower. My goodness.

sweet-d, could be, as I'm not sure what OKC was doing exactly prior to MAPS.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #926
Kim Jong ll
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

its ok .. ive seen better things.
Kim Jong ll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #927
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Your avatar is NOT ok!
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #928
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Russian Sam is a scale model maker from St. Petersburg who posts on SkyscraperCity. He was recently invited to Oklahoma City to take part in the Creativity World Forum because of his work on a tiny paper model of our downtown, which you can find here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1088789

While he was here they gave him a helicopter ride around downtown, and he got some really great photos of the Devon Tower with our skyline- here are a few of the best ones of the tower from different angles, but check out the rest of his photos on his Flickr account here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Over Bricktown, looking Northwest (You can even see the Lake Hefner/NW Expressway skyline on the horizon)

image hosted on flickr

Over the Film Exchange, looking northeast

image hosted on flickr

Over the Film Exchange, looking east

image hosted on flickr

Over Midtown, looking southeast

image hosted on flickr
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #929
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I can't wait for those kind of shots once this tower is finished. It's going to rule OKC.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #930
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Thanks for putting those up Shane, I've been wondering how it looks from I-40.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; November 29th, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #931
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Nice shots!! Can't wait til this one tops out....going to change everything in OKC.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:08 AM   #932
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Nice shots!! Can't wait til this one tops out....going to change everything in OKC.
I'm hoping a Charlotte type of change!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #933
HipHopCanada
MicrophoneFiend

Likes (Received): 10

OKC's looking pretty good, liking that density in the core. That's how it's done!

Do you get snow down there? ... like a lot of it?
HipHopCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #934
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

dmoor82, where did you get your avatar picture are there renders out there we havent seen?
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM   #935
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopCanada View Post

Do you get snow down there? ... like a lot of it?
We have two or three snows each winter, I'd say about 3 inches on average, but it always melts in about 2 or 3 days.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM   #936
elcid1911

Likes (Received): 17

This tower is looking amazing I can already tell that it will be a new landmark for the city
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM   #937
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
dmoor82, where did you get your avatar picture are there renders out there we havent seen?
Click on "towerclose up2"! http://okc.about.com/b/2009/08/11/ne...renderings.htm
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #938
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10271

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I'm hoping a Charlotte type of change!
Yeah but Charlotte went into a boom by morphing itself into the "Banking Industry Capital of America". For OKC to do that it needs to morph into something else like "Fast Food Industry Capital of America" or "Fertilizer Industry Capital of America" and convince Monsanto to build a 500m supertall
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #939
okcpulse

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Yeah but Charlotte went into a boom by morphing itself into the "Banking Industry Capital of America". For OKC to do that it needs to morph into something else like "Fast Food Industry Capital of America" or "Fertilizer Industry Capital of America" and convince Monsanto to build a 500m supertall
Nice sarcasm. I believe Oklahoma City will emerge as the natural gas capital of America, while Houston clings to its title as the oil capital. Fast food intustry captial has already been claimed by Mississippi, a haven for morbid obesity rates. Fetilizer industry capital went to Dodge City, Kansas... the true cowtown.
okcpulse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #940
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Smart Ass!By Charlottle type of change I meant in building a tower way taller than The rest of downtown to set The bar for future development!What is Tulsa now The Jealousy capitol of America?

Tags
oklahoma city