daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #81
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

WTF this is approved not proposed
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #82
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

More information continues to come out about the Devon Tower site. We now know the site will include an auditorium, retail space on the ground levels, a connecting structure to the neighboring boutique hotel the Colcord, and a fully public rotunda that will be the main entry to the entire facility.

Current Construction Timeline

Early 2009 - Parking facility construction begins
Spring/Summer 2009 - Site prep begins
November 2009 - Foundation complete
Late 2010 - Parking facility complete
Early 2013 - Full completion of site

-----

The site for the project is located on the surface parking lot adjacent and to the right of the large public greenspace at the center of this photo:

In an 93 page report that included all of the schematics, I only found one new rendering, which shows the curtain-wall parking garage and the tower in the background:

-------

Panel OKs Devon plan for building
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: November 21, 2008

Inspired by the success of the New York Times’ new Manhattan headquarters, architects designing a world headquarters for Devon Energy are proposing to construct an auditorium at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

The auditorium is one of several new details revealed Thursday as Devon Energy successfully presented its plans for approval by the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Weather considered
Architect John Pickard said designers have met challenges designing retail spaces along the ground floor of the "podium” building that will be just west of the 54-story tower and rotunda.

They want to open the spaces to the park, but also must contend with Oklahoma’s changing weather.

Their answer was to create rooms with French doors that could open up into the adjoining gardens and pavilions, designed to be open during fair weather and enclosed with glass during extreme conditions.

Pickard said the rotunda is designed to not just be a dramatic space — but a space that will be filled with people.

He said garage connections are designed to force all of Devon’s work force, as well as the public to enter through the rotunda.

Similar changes are being planned for the neighboring Colcord Hotel, which Devon bought in August.

‘Very urban thing’
Committee members praised the plans, but urged Devon Energy to consider adding a retail level on the first floor of a garage extension to face Hudson Avenue.

Member James Loftis noted the Devon project meets the city’s desires for urban architecture downtown compared with a "suburban” style building approved by the committee in September.

"This is a very urban thing — it goes far beyond anything I thought we’d see in our lifetimes,” Loftis said.

He also praised Devon Energy for placing the public rotunda instead of the tower in the center of the block.

"It’s phenomenal — I can’t wait,” member Richard Tanenbaum said.

"Why don’t you start construction now?”

------------

Devon plans auditorium at world headquarters
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record November 21, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Devon Energy Corp. is tweaking and refining its plans for a world headquarters now set for completion in 2013.

Initial plans released by the company in March called for several structures on a piece of Urban Renewal land.

In August Larry Nichols, CEO of Devon, unveiled plans for a 54-story skyscraper, an additional 400,000-square-foot office building connected to the tower by a glass rotunda, and park space on the southwest side of the site.

One new addition presented to the Downtown Design Review Committee on Thursday included an auditorium nestled in the park space at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

Jon Pickard, principal with the architecture firm Pickard Chilton, said the auditorium will be similar to the Times Center, a 378-seat auditorium built by the New York Times in Manhattan.

The Devon auditorium will likely seat about 250.

Pickard called the auditorium the “jewel of the park,” and said the company wants it to be available for community use.

“As we developed the design and we started to better analyze the needs of Devon for meeting facilities it seemed to be that an auditorium would help support the Devon corporate mission,” he said.

“It was always there as a thought, we just hadn’t developed it.”
Pickard said the auditorium is still a concept at this point and the exact size and cost have not been determined.

The second floor of the office building, dubbed The Podium, will also be a conference center.

Plans for parking were also discussed.

John Wood, vice president with Hines, and project officer for the Devon site, said plans are in the works for Devon to acquire the west side of the City Center Garage and add five floors exclusively for the company’s use.

Wood said the company would like to start work on expanding the garage upwards, and to the west toward Hudson Avenue, in the first quarter of 2009 and it should take 21 months to complete.

Plans for the tower call for demo work on the site beginning next year and the foundation for the tower could be in the ground by November.

The current timeline for the project calls for completion in early to mid-2013.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #83
shane453

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolm4n View Post
WTF this is approved not proposed
We'll ask them to move it to the regular forum when they actually start construction I think.
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #84
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1508

That's a great tower. Nice addition.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #85
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12579

I can't see a project of this magnitude even starting before the end of the financial crisis (Mid 2010).
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #86
weird
vagamundo

I love it. The atrium looks so elegant
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #87
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
I can't see a project of this magnitude even starting before the end of the financial crisis (Mid 2010).
this is rumored to have a different way of paying for then the usual means.
Arist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #88
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

^ It's called already having lots of money.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #89
shane453

Devon one of Fortune's Top 10 Stocks for 2009.
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #90
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 160

Its about time we stopped taking buildings as long as a highway for granted, yes i mean Dubai

I love Dubai but i also love buildings that make a city a totally different place

This is great it is like my city of Liverpool getting a 925ft tower were our current tallest is 440ft, so i can imagine how those of OKC feel

The atrium is superb the way when you look upward it frames the tower. This is the sort of stuff we are tought at university, finally i can see some meaning behind a tower, not just throw it up because you can!

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #91
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Devon Tower Will Be Built

yeah, this one is definitely going to happen. Devon has billions of dollars IN CASH on hand, record profits for the last several years. If you look at market capitalization, Devon looks better than all three automakers, most of the major airlines, and many 'heritage' US companies - COMBINED!

Devon definitely IS the #1 Independent Petroleum company in the US. To give you an idea, Devon made $2.6B in After Tax PROFIT for 3rd Quarter 2008 ALONE!!!!!!!

Since they are NOT financing their new skyscraper (ie, they're paying cash) - it WILL happen. All approvals are in - site prep in 4 months (or sooner if the winter isn't going to be bad).

Last edited by Hot Rod; December 30th, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM   #92
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
yeah, this one is definitely going to happen. Devon has billions of dollars IN CASH on hand, record profits for the last several years. If you look at market capitalization, Devon looks better than all three automakers, most of the major airlines, and many 'heritage' US companies - COMBINED!

Devon definitely IS the #1 Independent Petroleum company in the US. To give you an idea, Devon made $2.6B in After Tax PROFIT for 3rd Quarter 2008 ALONE!!!!!!!

Since they are NOT financing their new skyscraper (ie, they're paying cash) - it WILL happen. All approvals are in - site prep in 4 months (or sooner if the winter isn't going to be bad).

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:32 AM   #93
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
.... Since they are NOT financing their new skyscraper (ie, they're paying cash) - it WILL happen. All approvals are in - site prep in 4 months (or sooner if the winter isn't going to be bad).
Someone in America's, actually, paying for THEIR OWN project? I can't believe it. This isn't the American way!
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:32 AM   #94
TU 'cane
Registered User.

And it's American oil money, not that Dubai crap.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM   #95
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Very nice...OK City is a great place...been there a few times and loved it. Our tallest tower sits at 902' so you guys will have us beat by 23'. Love the design....rock on OKC!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #96
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Very nice...OK City is a great place...been there a few times and loved it. Our tallest tower sits at 902' so you guys will have us beat by 23'. Love the design....rock on OKC!
I thought it was 921? Anyway thanks for the comments. The design is really new here and hopefully it will trigger a new modern high rise boom.

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM   #97
gwool1sc

Likes (Received): 2

WOW, I love it, my heart's racing.... I LOVE the scale model, an I LOVE the archiectural drawing, CAN WE SEE MORE OF THIS ON THE SITE, PLEASE........
gwool1sc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #98
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I thought it was 921? Anyway thanks for the comments. The design is really new here and hopefully it will trigger a new modern high rise boom.
Ah...my memory fades as I get old...you are correct. I hope so too. I really like OKC and this scraper would look fantastic on the skyline.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #99
traveler14
Environment Advocate

Likes (Received): 0

That's a WOW!

That's a WOW!

hmmm how about reversing its rooftop:

Quote:
courtesy of Doug L. (who has the OKC press kit)

Congrats to OKC!

Downtown Skyline

Interior Lobby

Dining Court

Park at Southwest Corner

Site Designs

lots of water integrated

Cross-section view

South Elevation
traveler14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #100
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 318

I'm honestly a bid envious but still hope for the best. I kind of wish Tulsa could something as high and modern, our skyline has been stuck in the 70's for far too long. The stadium recently built is cool of course but it's not something you see from far away.

Tags
oklahoma city