daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1081
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
a bit smug are we?

I disagree with the tiny comments, particularly in reference to Chicago - which is the only city comparable to NYC. Afterall, Chicago is Taller than NYC and has been for most of the lives of people on this forum (and honestly still will be despite the spire of WTC 1). OKC is not tiny either, but it is a smaller large city that is on the rise.

Just take it for what it's worth - there's no reason to be smug or bash another place because it isn't New York. Not every city strives to be like NYC and just because it isn't doesn't mean it's bad or tiny, or less worthy of the title of city.

OKC is the biggest city of the plains states west of the Mississippi outside of the Texas big 3 and OKC is the biggest metro of the Great Plains region. That aint too shabby and certainly isn't tiny.

Anyways, it's great that OKC is the only large city building in America building a tower of this size (outside of NYC). And even on that note, doesn't NYC just have the WTC complex that's taller than OKC? If that's true, then its really saying something about 'little ole OKC.' .....
WTC aren't the only buildings, over 800 feet being built in the NYC. And Chicago has a little over 3 million people, while NYC has 10 million.
And stating facts isn't Being smug.

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1082
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1095

80,s skyscraper
RokasLT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1083
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
WTC aren't the only buildings, over 800 feet being built in the NYC. And Chicago has a little over 3 million people, while NYC has 10 million.
New York is a Large WorldClass city,and Oklahoma City is a Large American city at the lower end!There is NO comparison and to even bring your outragous comparisons to this thread is retarded!BUT I will tell NYC has Hundreds if not more buildings over 500'ft while for The time being OKC has only ONE!
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1084
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokasLT View Post
80,s skyscraper
?????????????Are you kidding?
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1085
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Congrats on the tower but OKC is a large mid sized city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
OKC isn't tiny, Dude! It may not be a " big city " by, conventional, definitions like NYC or Chicago. But, IT is a city of well over half a million residents within a MSA almost triple that. It's city proper has more than 5 times the population of my (Illinois) hometown. THAT isn't ' tiny '!
I LOVE the fact that OKC is getting such a grand tower and it will be a nice signature building that will define your skyline and city.

I have been watching the progress of this tower quietly and enjoying the back and forth between residents of OKC and Tulsa (I get a kick out of the passion shown)...

I should stipulate that OKC is a large mid size city and MSA. That may not be to the liking of some of the residents within but it is what it is... You have a great city. Only Denver suffers from a inferiority complex. OKC should not.
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1086
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Stating facts may not be smug but it helps if you get your facts straight.

Firstly, the numbers you cited were for city proper populations, not the metro area populations and anyone that knows anything about population knows that city proper populations don't mean much, a city's metro population is far more indicative of it's real population, therefore New York City's population is just over 19 million while Chicago's is just under 10 million. In fact, even the city proper populations you posted weren't accurate since both city's populations are less than what you stated. Why Chicago even got dragged into the debate is a mystery to me since it's no secret that LA is the second biggest city in the country.

Here's a sweet shot from wikipedia, keeping in mind that Devon will rise to at least the top of this picture:

It seems to me that Calgary is the city to compare it to since Calgary is widely considered to have the best skyline in the world for mid-sized cities similar in size to Oklahoma City and from this angle it measures up favourably to Calgary.

Last edited by carewser; January 29th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1087
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
OKC isn't tiny, Dude! It may not be a " big city " by, conventional, definitions like NYC or Chicago. But, IT is a city of well over half a million residents within a MSA almost triple that. It's city proper has more than 5 times the population of my (Illinois) hometown. THAT isn't ' tiny '!
I stuck my foot in my mouth with the "tiny" designation again! I meant no offense ("tiny" does not necessarily equal "bad"), just meant to emphasize how dead skyscraper construction is in the U.S. other than in lower Manhattan. Yes, OKC is becoming a mid-sized city. But OKC is still a "tiny" city to be enjoying construction of an 850ft office building while every other city in the U.S. has just about halted major construction for the last two years.

Devon Headquarters is an unique situation of a wealthy regional energy company with plenty of cash on hand building for prestige. If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1088
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

DFDalton actually is pretty right. Skyscraper construction except for Chicago and NYC hit a stand still because of the recession. Oklahoma City is a pretty small city. With a population around 560,000 its the 31st biggest city by population in America. OK is pretty lucky to be getting a building like this.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1089
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Devon Headquarters is an unique situation of a wealthy regional energy company with plenty of cash on hand building for prestige. If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
Really? Corn field? You don't seem to be too familiar with our city.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1090
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
You mean like in LA?

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
I stuck my foot in my mouth
yes, again.
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #1091
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Why do threads about projects in Oklahoma attract so much drama? I'm curious.
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1092
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

I've lived in OKC all my life and I am also curious. The question would be for those who have never been here.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1093
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
I've lived in OKC all my life and I am also curious. The question would be for those who have never been here.
Sadly some members just like to stir the pot. They are jealous of other city/company accomplishments. That's all. The pessimists or negative forumers just constantly want to remind us of past failures. They say how much they love a project, but oh how sad it is that it failed (quietly relishing the fact). Over and over and over and over again.

And the defenders can't resist counter-arguing. OKC shouldn't take it too seriously. Petty jealously or negativity doesn't deserve a response. Though I've fallen for it plenty of times on this website.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1094
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Hot Rod, Kansas City is the largest in the plains states. OKC would be second I believe.

And desertpunk, clever, clever...

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; January 30th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #1095
kalt
The Cold One

Likes (Received): 4

Luck has nothing to do with it. Devon Corp decided they want a symbol of their power displayed here and did so.
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #1096
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
New York is a Large WorldClass city,and Oklahoma City is a Large American city at the lower end!There is NO comparison and to even bring your outragous comparisons to this thread is retarded!BUT I will tell NYC has Hundreds if not more buildings over 500'ft while for The time being OKC has only ONE!
Read the thread dude, I didn't bring it up. And please don't use the word retarded it's inslutting to others. Somebody compared OKC to Chi and NYC.
I pointed out it didn't matter how big the city was. Just building one building over 800 feet is a big step. Next time read what I write and quit jumping the gun.
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #1097
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
Stating facts may not be smug but it helps if you get your facts straight.

Firstly, the numbers you cited were for city proper populations, not the metro area populations and anyone that knows anything about population knows that city proper populations don't mean much, a city's metro population is far more indicative of it's real population, therefore New York City's population is just over 19 million while Chicago's is just under 10 million. In fact, even the city proper populations you posted weren't accurate since both city's populations are less than what you stated. Why Chicago even got dragged into the debate is a mystery to me since it's no secret that LA is the second biggest city in the country.

Here's a sweet shot from wikipedia, keeping in mind that Devon will rise to at least the top of this picture:

It seems to me that Calgary is the city to compare it to since Calgary is widely considered to have the best skyline in the world for mid-sized cities similar in size to Oklahoma City and from this angle it measures up favourably to Calgary.
What are you talking about. I didn't bring up Chicago or NYC for that matter. I was commenting on someone else's posting. And I counted the population with in the city limits.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1098
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Hot Rod, Kansas City is the largest in the plains states. OKC would be second I believe.

And desertpunk, clever, clever...
Actually, OKC is larger than Kansas City; therefore OKC is the largest in the traditional Great Plains outside of TX. Metros are reversed, however.

Also, for the New Yorkers - you all should pay a visit to OKC (maybe when the Knicks are in town). You'll see there are no corn fields, no wheat fields, no farms, no ranches - nothing country or whatever, within the inner city of Oklahoma City.

If anything, you'll see grit, ghettos, some nice burgeoning development, and tons of dilapidated areas with great potential, all surrounding a 'somewhat' rapidly expanding yet very compact downtown core. In some ways, OKC looks a lot like LA or Detroit in the inner city, minus the density IMO.

Last edited by Hot Rod; January 30th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1099
ein okc!
devonian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I stuck my foot in my mouth with the "tiny" designation again! I meant no offense ("tiny" does not necessarily equal "bad"), just meant to emphasize how dead skyscraper construction is in the U.S. other than in lower Manhattan. Yes, OKC is becoming a mid-sized city. But OKC is still a "tiny" city to be enjoying construction of an 850ft office building while every other city in the U.S. has just about halted major construction for the last two years.

wow. just stop talking dude.
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1100
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Actually, OKC is larger than Kansas City; therefore OKC is the largest in the traditional Great Plains outside of TX. Metros are reversed, however.

Also, for the New Yorkers - you all should pay a visit to OKC (maybe when the Knicks are in town). You'll see there are no corn fields, no wheat fields, no farms, no ranches - nothing country or whatever, within the inner city of Oklahoma City.

If anything, you'll see grit, ghettos, some nice burgeoning development, and tons of dilapidated areas with great potential, all surrounding a 'somewhat' rapidly expanding yet very compact downtown core. In some ways, OKC looks a lot like LA or Detroit in the inner city, minus the density IMO.
I don't believe most people take the city proper population into account, usually. The population of a city can be hampered by it's land size. Kansas City is 318 sq. miles while OKC is 621 sq. miles, nearly double. I'm not going to fight with you, I understand your point. I personally take the metros before the proper, as do most people from my understanding. But I could be wrong...

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city