daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1081
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
a bit smug are we?

I disagree with the tiny comments, particularly in reference to Chicago - which is the only city comparable to NYC. Afterall, Chicago is Taller than NYC and has been for most of the lives of people on this forum (and honestly still will be despite the spire of WTC 1). OKC is not tiny either, but it is a smaller large city that is on the rise.

Just take it for what it's worth - there's no reason to be smug or bash another place because it isn't New York. Not every city strives to be like NYC and just because it isn't doesn't mean it's bad or tiny, or less worthy of the title of city.

OKC is the biggest city of the plains states west of the Mississippi outside of the Texas big 3 and OKC is the biggest metro of the Great Plains region. That aint too shabby and certainly isn't tiny.

Anyways, it's great that OKC is the only large city building in America building a tower of this size (outside of NYC). And even on that note, doesn't NYC just have the WTC complex that's taller than OKC? If that's true, then its really saying something about 'little ole OKC.' .....
WTC aren't the only buildings, over 800 feet being built in the NYC. And Chicago has a little over 3 million people, while NYC has 10 million.
And stating facts isn't Being smug.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1082
RokasLT
Registered User
 
RokasLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,891
Likes (Received): 1095

80,s skyscraper
RokasLT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1083
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!
 
dmoor82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,497
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
WTC aren't the only buildings, over 800 feet being built in the NYC. And Chicago has a little over 3 million people, while NYC has 10 million.
And stating facts isn't Being smug.
New York is a Large WorldClass city,and Oklahoma City is a Large American city at the lower end!There is NO comparison and to even bring your outragous comparisons to this thread is retarded!BUT I will tell NYC has Hundreds if not more buildings over 500'ft while for The time being OKC has only ONE!
__________________
Red Sox Nation
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1084
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!
 
dmoor82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,497
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokasLT View Post
80,s skyscraper
?????????????Are you kidding?
__________________
Red Sox Nation
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1085
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers
 
ABQ_X-PAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California USA
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 115

Congrats on the tower but OKC is a large mid sized city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
OKC isn't tiny, Dude! It may not be a " big city " by, conventional, definitions like NYC or Chicago. But, IT is a city of well over half a million residents within a MSA almost triple that. It's city proper has more than 5 times the population of my (Illinois) hometown. THAT isn't ' tiny '!
I LOVE the fact that OKC is getting such a grand tower and it will be a nice signature building that will define your skyline and city.

I have been watching the progress of this tower quietly and enjoying the back and forth between residents of OKC and Tulsa (I get a kick out of the passion shown)...

I should stipulate that OKC is a large mid size city and MSA. That may not be to the liking of some of the residents within but it is what it is... You have a great city. Only Denver suffers from a inferiority complex. OKC should not.
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1086
carewser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
WTC aren't the only buildings, over 800 feet being built in the NYC. And Chicago has a little over 3 million people, while NYC has 10 million.
And stating facts isn't Being smug.
Stating facts may not be smug but it helps if you get your facts straight.

Firstly, the numbers you cited were for city proper populations, not the metro area populations and anyone that knows anything about population knows that city proper populations don't mean much, a city's metro population is far more indicative of it's real population, therefore New York City's population is just over 19 million while Chicago's is just under 10 million. In fact, even the city proper populations you posted weren't accurate since both city's populations are less than what you stated. Why Chicago even got dragged into the debate is a mystery to me since it's no secret that LA is the second biggest city in the country.

Here's a sweet shot from wikipedia, keeping in mind that Devon will rise to at least the top of this picture:



It seems to me that Calgary is the city to compare it to since Calgary is widely considered to have the best skyline in the world for mid-sized cities similar in size to Oklahoma City and from this angle it measures up favourably to Calgary.
__________________
overly regulated, overly legislated and overly taxed.

Last edited by carewser; January 29th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1087
DFDalton
Banished from SSP
 
DFDalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 487
Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
OKC isn't tiny, Dude! It may not be a " big city " by, conventional, definitions like NYC or Chicago. But, IT is a city of well over half a million residents within a MSA almost triple that. It's city proper has more than 5 times the population of my (Illinois) hometown. THAT isn't ' tiny '!
I stuck my foot in my mouth with the "tiny" designation again! I meant no offense ("tiny" does not necessarily equal "bad"), just meant to emphasize how dead skyscraper construction is in the U.S. other than in lower Manhattan. Yes, OKC is becoming a mid-sized city. But OKC is still a "tiny" city to be enjoying construction of an 850ft office building while every other city in the U.S. has just about halted major construction for the last two years.

Devon Headquarters is an unique situation of a wealthy regional energy company with plenty of cash on hand building for prestige. If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1088
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

DFDalton actually is pretty right. Skyscraper construction except for Chicago and NYC hit a stand still because of the recession. Oklahoma City is a pretty small city. With a population around 560,000 its the 31st biggest city by population in America. OK is pretty lucky to be getting a building like this.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1089
UnFrSaKn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 145
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Devon Headquarters is an unique situation of a wealthy regional energy company with plenty of cash on hand building for prestige. If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
Really? Corn field? You don't seem to be too familiar with our city.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1090
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,648
Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
You mean like in LA?

image hosted on flickr


Quote:
I stuck my foot in my mouth
yes, again.
__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #1091
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,527
Likes (Received): 1028

Why do threads about projects in Oklahoma attract so much drama? I'm curious.
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1092
UnFrSaKn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 145
Likes (Received): 2

I've lived in OKC all my life and I am also curious. The question would be for those who have never been here.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1093
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,904
Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
I've lived in OKC all my life and I am also curious. The question would be for those who have never been here.
Sadly some members just like to stir the pot. They are jealous of other city/company accomplishments. That's all. The pessimists or negative forumers just constantly want to remind us of past failures. They say how much they love a project, but oh how sad it is that it failed (quietly relishing the fact). Over and over and over and over again.

And the defenders can't resist counter-arguing. OKC shouldn't take it too seriously. Petty jealously or negativity doesn't deserve a response. Though I've fallen for it plenty of times on this website.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1094
TU 'cane
Registered User.
 
TU 'cane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 2,251
Likes (Received): 111

Hot Rod, Kansas City is the largest in the plains states. OKC would be second I believe.

And desertpunk, clever, clever...
__________________
Farewell Texas Stadium
1971-2008


Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom


"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; January 30th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #1095
kalt
The Cold One
 
kalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 130
Likes (Received): 4

Luck has nothing to do with it. Devon Corp decided they want a symbol of their power displayed here and did so.
__________________
http://www.kalt.co
kalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #1096
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
New York is a Large WorldClass city,and Oklahoma City is a Large American city at the lower end!There is NO comparison and to even bring your outragous comparisons to this thread is retarded!BUT I will tell NYC has Hundreds if not more buildings over 500'ft while for The time being OKC has only ONE!
Read the thread dude, I didn't bring it up. And please don't use the word retarded it's inslutting to others. Somebody compared OKC to Chi and NYC.
I pointed out it didn't matter how big the city was. Just building one building over 800 feet is a big step. Next time read what I write and quit jumping the gun.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #1097
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
Stating facts may not be smug but it helps if you get your facts straight.

Firstly, the numbers you cited were for city proper populations, not the metro area populations and anyone that knows anything about population knows that city proper populations don't mean much, a city's metro population is far more indicative of it's real population, therefore New York City's population is just over 19 million while Chicago's is just under 10 million. In fact, even the city proper populations you posted weren't accurate since both city's populations are less than what you stated. Why Chicago even got dragged into the debate is a mystery to me since it's no secret that LA is the second biggest city in the country.

Here's a sweet shot from wikipedia, keeping in mind that Devon will rise to at least the top of this picture:



It seems to me that Calgary is the city to compare it to since Calgary is widely considered to have the best skyline in the world for mid-sized cities similar in size to Oklahoma City and from this angle it measures up favourably to Calgary.
What are you talking about. I didn't bring up Chicago or NYC for that matter. I was commenting on someone else's posting. And I counted the population with in the city limits.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1098
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast
 
Hot Rod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Posts: 773
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Hot Rod, Kansas City is the largest in the plains states. OKC would be second I believe.

And desertpunk, clever, clever...
Actually, OKC is larger than Kansas City; therefore OKC is the largest in the traditional Great Plains outside of TX. Metros are reversed, however.

Also, for the New Yorkers - you all should pay a visit to OKC (maybe when the Knicks are in town). You'll see there are no corn fields, no wheat fields, no farms, no ranches - nothing country or whatever, within the inner city of Oklahoma City.

If anything, you'll see grit, ghettos, some nice burgeoning development, and tons of dilapidated areas with great potential, all surrounding a 'somewhat' rapidly expanding yet very compact downtown core. In some ways, OKC looks a lot like LA or Detroit in the inner city, minus the density IMO.

Last edited by Hot Rod; January 30th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1099
ein okc!
devonian
 
ein okc!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stillwater OK
Posts: 135
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
I stuck my foot in my mouth with the "tiny" designation again! I meant no offense ("tiny" does not necessarily equal "bad"), just meant to emphasize how dead skyscraper construction is in the U.S. other than in lower Manhattan. Yes, OKC is becoming a mid-sized city. But OKC is still a "tiny" city to be enjoying construction of an 850ft office building while every other city in the U.S. has just about halted major construction for the last two years.

Devon Headquarters is an unique situation of a wealthy regional energy company with plenty of cash on hand building for prestige. If you can exit the front door of an 850ft building, walk 15 minutes and virtually be in the middle of a corn field, you know two things. One, the city is small. Two, the city is very lucky to be getting the 850ft building.
wow. just stop talking dude.
__________________
Oklahoma State Cowboys - ORANGE POWER!
Weeden throws to Blackmon...and Pistols Firing!
ein okc! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1100
TU 'cane
Registered User.
 
TU 'cane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 2,251
Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Actually, OKC is larger than Kansas City; therefore OKC is the largest in the traditional Great Plains outside of TX. Metros are reversed, however.

Also, for the New Yorkers - you all should pay a visit to OKC (maybe when the Knicks are in town). You'll see there are no corn fields, no wheat fields, no farms, no ranches - nothing country or whatever, within the inner city of Oklahoma City.

If anything, you'll see grit, ghettos, some nice burgeoning development, and tons of dilapidated areas with great potential, all surrounding a 'somewhat' rapidly expanding yet very compact downtown core. In some ways, OKC looks a lot like LA or Detroit in the inner city, minus the density IMO.
I don't believe most people take the city proper population into account, usually. The population of a city can be hampered by it's land size. Kansas City is 318 sq. miles while OKC is 621 sq. miles, nearly double. I'm not going to fight with you, I understand your point. I personally take the metros before the proper, as do most people from my understanding. But I could be wrong...
__________________
Farewell Texas Stadium
1971-2008


Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom


"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
oklahoma city

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu