daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1101
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I don't believe most people take the city proper population into account, usually. The population of a city can be hampered by it's land size. Kansas City is 318 sq. miles while OKC is 621 sq. miles, nearly double. I'm not going to fight with you, I understand your point. I personally take the metros before the proper, as do most people from my understanding. But I could be wrong...
You do realize 85% of OKC's population resides in 2/3rd's of it's area?You could deannex 1/3rd of OKC's area and still have 450k+!and that makes it much more comparable to KC's density!DO people actually think OKC has 1 house every quarter of a mile for 600+sq miles?

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1102
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Read the thread dude, I didn't bring it up. And please don't use the word retarded it's inslutting to others. Somebody compared OKC to Chi and NYC.
I pointed out it didn't matter how big the city was. Just building one building over 800 feet is a big step. Next time read what I write and quit jumping the gun.
Inslutting?
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1103
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
You do realize 85% of OKC's population resides in 2/3rd's of it's area?You could deannex 1/3rd of OKC's area and still have 450k+!and that makes it much more comparable to KC's density!DO people actually think OKC has 1 house every quarter of a mile for 600+sq miles?
Ok, sure I understand what you're saying but it's a little beyond the point. I believe this is why the OKC threads are derailed so often because OKC posters take offense to every little thing on this green earth. It's quite tiring and half of the time people don't mean any harm by it...

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1104
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

No corn fields.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24527
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #1105
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Ok, sure I understand what you're saying but it's a little beyond the point. I believe this is why the OKC threads are derailed so often because OKC posters take offense to every little thing on this green earth. It's quite tiring and half of the time people don't mean any harm by it...
Fair enough!I'll tone it down a little!
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1106
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

Now Chase needs a recladding
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1107
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

still, OKC is pretty lucky. You can't name that much cities with 560k population with a 259m building.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1108
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

As for the "walk 15 minutes and be in a corn field" comment- that's sort of inaccurate because we don't really have too many corn fields- you are getting us confused with the rest of the plains states- common misconception. However, you can walk about 2-3 miles from downtown to the northeast and be in forest and pasture. About 1/4 of the inner city loop is basically rural because the development spreads to the northwest and south instead of NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
still, OKC is pretty lucky. You can't name that much cities with 560k population with a 259m building.
Yep we're basically lucky to have a company with billions in cash reserves that can do whatever they want

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaperDude
Now Chase needs a recladding
Chase needs a lot of things to ever compete with Devon.. haha. It was never the star of our skyline despite being the tallest for such a long time.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:56 AM   #1109
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

OKLAHOMA CITY WILL HAVE A NEW TALLEST BUILDING IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS! Devon has about 40 feet to go to beat Chase Tower.

Comparison from architect5311 at: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=19439&page=163

shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM   #1110
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Lol, thanks for that info. Shane. Been wondering how far a long it is.

After that there is one last benchmark:

667 feet.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:23 AM   #1111
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

i agree tu

it's just people were talking about city, and I was making a point that OKC city isn't small, in fact it's the biggest in a very large region not including texas. even including texas, OKC is still in the top 5.

OKC's metro isn't small either, but it is smallest of most major cities. but 1.3 million isn't anything to sneeze at either.

but I do agree - it is really correct to consider a city by it's metro and often times CSA.

I often get irritated when people lump Tacoma into Seattle, because they really are two different cities however. But I suppose people do it for ease.

Minneapolis and Saint Paul are different also. But Dallas and Ft Worth are similar, so I can see if people wanted to call it all, dallas. But DFW is a fancy/catchy, SeaTac - maybe not so much.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1112
David in Amsterdam

Likes (Received): 0

Actually, maybe the appearance of the Devon Tower will be an impetus for Chase to freshen up a bit. The bones are just as good as any other building, so a new skin, albeit expensive, would do wonders for its look.
Then again, maybe all skylines need the obligatory black box from the modernists/van der Rohe school. Will this instigate a debate about HOW and IF the Chase building should be re-clad? Anyone care to start a new thread on OKCTalk?
David in Amsterdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:37 AM   #1113
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Darn. I missed the juicy discussion yesterday. I actually went to OKC last week and went shopping at Penn Square. The mall was okay but the highways were and the people watching was hard when everyone was Regardless, I saw the Devon Tower and it was looking purdy. The cladding was amazing and the height was pretty stellar. Cheers from a Tulsan
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1114
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

I nabbed this still image from KWTV tower cam. I'll have to catch it on a clear day or whomever is viewing it on a clear day can try to get a better one.
I was looking and was impressed at the height of Devon from this angle.
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1115
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Darn. I missed the juicy discussion yesterday. I actually went to OKC last week and went shopping at Penn Square. The mall was okay but the highways were and the people watching was hard when everyone was Regardless, I saw the Devon Tower and it was looking purdy. The cladding was amazing and the height was pretty stellar. Cheers from a Tulsan
I was about to go off on you but I'll contain myself,I think your just trying to get a response from someone!I'm glad you spent money in OKC,please come back and spend your money in OKC! Cheers from an Oklahoma Citian!
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1116
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I was about to go off on you but I'll contain myself,I think your just trying to get a response from someone!I'm glad you spent money in OKC,please come back and spend your money in OKC! Cheers from an Oklahoma Citian!
Yes, I'm an attention *****. I missed the juicy discussion and felt depressed. Thanks for giving me my response. I can live a few days more now.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1117
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By jed.d.photography, Jan 29th.

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1118
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By Paul L McCord Jr, Jan 30th.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #1119
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

We're getting buried, in Central Illinois, by the " Blizzard from Hell " ! I was kinda hoping that OKC would " take one for the team " so that MY hometown wouldn't have to. Then, WE could make a move on the Devon Tower!
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1120
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Thanks a lot spectre, the atrium's frame looks really cool.

Beware, yea it's crazy. Tulsa got around 13-14 inches, broke records. Hope it didn't slow Devon Tower's construction down there.

-Jacques Barzun

Tags
oklahoma city