daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM   #121
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
Thanks for the love from Seattle... Mostly we just get hated on from you Pac Northwesterners...
Ignore it. All the Sonics issue did was spread ignorance among our cities regarding the other city.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #122
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
Ignore it. All the Sonics issue did was spread ignorance among our cities regarding the other city.
Precisely.

And Shane answered all your questions. Yes this project is a go and money should not be an issue for Devon. All that is against this tower now is time actually.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #123
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

If that Devon Headquarters is built, it'll remind us of the Pittsburgh Skyline at the time when the US Steel Tower was first built in 1970. It's more than 100m meters taller than the existing tallest building in Oklahoma City.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM   #124
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

I have very mixed emotions about this beauty. As a fellow Oklahoman, i congratulate you. As a Tulsan, I hope it doesn't get completed.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM   #125
gwool1sc

Likes (Received): 2

Really like this....classic design but contemporary enough to satisfy future planning......
gwool1sc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM   #126
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I have very mixed emotions about this beauty. As a fellow Oklahoman, i congratulate you. As a Tulsan, I hope it doesn't get completed.
It would look much better in Tulsa no? haha.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #127
MDguy

Actually i think it would! Tulsa has a great skyline as it is. Wouldn't it look great next to Oral Robert's Tower? Haha no. It would seriously look great in Tulsa though! There's some great building spots in Tulsa (parking lots) downtown!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #128
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

Actually, it probably would look better in Tulsa. It wouldn't stick out of context with the existing skyscrapers as bad; heighth wise. But I think all other sources point towards Oklahoma City.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #129
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Of course it would look better in Tulsa. We have more height than bulge like OKC does. What if the cityplex towers and the Devon Tower were in downtown Tulsa? Tulsa would have a crazy skyline.

-Jacques Barzun
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #130
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

I love this tower...my kind of architecture.
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM   #131
srob24

Likes (Received): 0

it will look amazing, and will spark more developments, OKC will fill in the height difference in the upcoming years
srob24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:39 PM   #132
srob24

Likes (Received): 0

one other thing, kinda corny, but everyday i drive by downtown and just try to imagine what its going to look like from every angle. It is so exciting, its funny b/c my girlfriend is tired of hearing about it but we will be driving to a movie downtown and i will say just think in a few years it will look completely different down here! i tell her to take the chase building and put it on top of itself and thats basically the size of building we're looking at.... she doesn't care but i find it so freakin exciting, can't wait for construction to start.... not too long now!!!
srob24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #133
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 807

Wow, very nice design... ! The atrium impresses a lot !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #134
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Devon has already started site prep work on the property. And as world construction prices go down, the likelihood of Devon Tower being built goes up. Devon has already had the cash set aside for the project, and now it looks like it will cost less than they have planned for.

Scrapped skyscrapers benefit Devon
Construction Costs for tower may drop
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: April 3, 2009

Planned skyscraper projects are being scrapped around the world, leaving Devon Energy looking at significant potential cost savings as it proceeds with construction of its 54-story world headquarters.

Klay Kimker, Devon’s corporate services manager, is aware that some local residents worry the economic downturn will claim its tower, as well. But both Kimker and Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols say the project is still on track.

"We were very hopeful when we started the project that costs might go down,” Kimker said. "There were some indications that some of the pricing was high historically. And obviously any reduction in cost is of benefit to Devon and to the project.”

Devon estimated the tower’s cost at $750 million when project designs were unveiled in August. Kimker said any cost savings won’t be known until after a contractor is hired. Interviews with the top two finalists are ongoing and a choice is expected within weeks.

John Wood, project manager with Hines, the tower developer, thinks speculative skyscraper construction will be a lot less common in the future.

Two years ago, as Devon was preparing to make public its plans for a tower, skyscrapers were being announced across the country in what was a "go-go economy,” Wood said. Lenders, he said, were fueling the construction with aggressive interest rates and terms.

"There has been a fundamental shift in how real estate projects are capitalized,” Wood said. "And there are definitely a lot of people out there who think it’s a permanent shift.”

Wood, however, thinks towers — like the one to be built for Devon Energy — will continue to be built as companies look to modernize their workspaces.

Competition heats up
Just a year ago, Oklahoma contractors were worried about labor shortages and some public works jobs had to be readvertised because of a lack of bids.

That may be changing. Douglas Tapp, executive director of the Oklahoma Association of General Contractors, is already seeing out-of-state companies bidding for local jobs.

"Obviously, there’s not as much work as there was eight months to a year ago,” Tapp said. "We’re still doing OK. Most are feeling fairly comfortable through this year. The problem they (Oklahoma contractors) are running into is there isn’t enough work coming out on the bid board now that will carry them into next year.”

Tapp said the industry is waiting to see how much of the Devon tower project employs local labor. The project, he said, might be timed perfectly with the expected drop in jobs.

"We’re pretty comfortable there will be some of our state players involved,” Tapp said. "I’m not privy to how they’re going to split it up. You would hope that once the big tower gets going and started, it might trigger some other entities to start their work.”
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #135
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

That's great news. I'm very excited about this tower. Any pics of the future site would be appreciated by all!
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #136
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Wow such a tall tower for such a small city.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Last edited by -Corey-; April 4th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #137
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
That's great news. I'm very excited about this tower. Any pics of the future site would be appreciated by all!
Where the fire truck is in this picture:

The blue and white parking garage has been purchased from the city for $18 million and it will be where we see the first construction as Devon builds additional levels on top.

Streetview

More streetview: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08751793400281
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #138
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Wow such a tall tower for such a small city.
OKC has over half a million people. Hardly small.
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #139
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

thats a small city, compared to San Diego. That's what i meant (in my mind) hehe

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #140
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

I know you meant population but in area OKC is one of the 3 largest cities in the US...a little known fact.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city