daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1381
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
I'm sorry... BUT OKC must have the wimpiest looking downtown I have eve seen in my entire life! I know... living in San Francisco one gets a little spoiled as far as a interesting skyline goes but this OKC DT looks plain pathetic. Even Albuquerque's skyline is more impressive than this... even with the ***** looking tall tower.

Tulsa has nothing to worry about as far as Oklahoma City is concerned.
you just lost all credibility there.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1382
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Albuquerque has a skyline?

OKC has had an impressive skyline since the 1930s! Like a lot of the oil patch, it slowed down from the mid 1980s to just recently but as Devon Tower shows, things are back in gear. Albuquerque, like Tucson, El Paso, and a host of other Southwestern cities is just hopelessly lost in sprawltopia. Another 50 years could go by before anything over 20 floors is built in these cities...

Last edited by desertpunk; June 15th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #1383
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

I still don't see how this tower looks like a ***** XO
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1384
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
I'm sorry... BUT OKC must have the wimpiest looking downtown I have eve seen in my entire life! I know... living in San Francisco one gets a little spoiled as far as a interesting skyline goes but this OKC DT looks plain pathetic. Even Albuquerque's skyline is more impressive than this... even with the ***** looking tall tower.

Tulsa has nothing to worry about as far as Oklahoma City is concerned.
Albuquerque? I see what your original point is, but clearly you have no real idea what you're talking about... Being from Boston though, I understand that it's like... OKC with an 850 footer? Boston has 16 500'+ buildings, but only tops out at 790 (to the roof, no spires!). OKC had 1 building exactly 500', and now is passing it. Before Devon, OKC came in like a step behind Hartford, which I couldn't imagine getting a building that tall... it really is a tiny skyline for such a tall tower

Here is a partial list of cities with *significantly* larger skylines that don't have a tower as tall as Devon...

US/Canada:
-Boston
-Miami
-Detroit
-Denver
-Pittsburgh
-Vancouver
-Montreal
-Calgary
-Minneapolis
-New Orleans
-Las Vegas

Abroad:
-Sydney(!!!)
-Brisbane
-Perth
-London (not for much longer)
-Paris (also may change soon)
-Warsaw
-Rotterdam
-Tokyo(!!!!!) -beyond tokyo tower and skytree
-Jakarta
-Buenos Aires
-Sao Paolo
-Rio
-Mexico City
-Caracas
-Johannesburg
-Seoul (not for long)

Others with notably larger skylines...
-Portland
-San Diego (stupid height limit!)
-Baltimore (poor Baltimore)
-Cincinnati
-Columbus
-Indianapolis
-Tampa
-Jacksonville
-Edmonton
-Phoenix (sucks)
-Austin (new)
-St. Louis

So basically you guys are ridiculously lucky, and yes your skyline IS dinky, but maybe this will be the start of something, like Charlotte 20 years ago! Good luck...
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #1385
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
I still don't see how this tower looks like a ***** XO
I honestly don't either.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #1386
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I don't see anything wrong with OKC skyline and I live in NYC. And I'm way pass jaded when it comes to skylines.
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1387
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I honestly don't get the OKC-hate. It's doing stuff with its 'wimpy downtown.' Hell, I've never heard of ANY city, no matter how large, which has embarked on a $140-MILLION streetscaping program. I suspect that a lot of this is '***** envy.' Devon is arguably the best highrise going up in NA at this time.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1388
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Albuquerque has a skyline?

OKC has had an impressive skyline since the 1930s! Like a lot of the oil patch, it slowed down from the mid 1980s to just recently but as Devon Tower shows, things are back in gear. Albuquerque, like Tucson, El Paso, and a host of other Southwestern cities is just hopelessly lost in sprawltopia. Another 50 years could go by before anything over 20 floors is built in these cities...
OKC an impressive skyline? Are you kidding me? Just look at that picture of OKC's ACTUAL skyline. Pathetic. Tulsa has you guys hopelessly beat sorry.

Can't disagree with the sprawl comment. ABQ skylines is colorful at night I guess! LOL!

It will be another 100 years before OKC will ever see another tower like this. It is the exception, not the norm.
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1389
ABQ_X-PAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I honestly don't get the OKC-hate. It's doing stuff with its 'wimpy downtown.' Hell, I've never heard of ANY city, no matter how large, which has embarked on a $140-MILLION streetscaping program. I suspect that a lot of this is '***** envy.' Devon is arguably the best highrise going up in NA at this time.
San Francisco has anything but ***** envy. The Transbay terminal has broken ground (the west coast version of Grand Central). The argument here is what the towers that surround it are going to look like. One is 90 stories, the others 65+ (we shall see). Also, do you know how much San Fran spent on the Embarcadero? Much more than 140m.

It's not about OKC hate at all. I am glad your city is getting this tower. Congrats. My comment stems form the fact that even despite this nice building the downtown still looks pathetically small as portrayed in the picture. I think Tulsa has you guys beat.

Devon is a nice tower but IS NOT the best in North America lol! You seen what is going up in Calgary? In New York? What has broken ground in San Francisco? Even Los Angeles has some interesting towers that were just completed and a couple more in the works...
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1390
ABQ_X-PAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
you just lost all credibility there.
I was being sarcastic. I like ABQ's skyline at night. It is colorful lol! Only four years ago ABQ got rid of their stupid height limits that they had for decades. Locals on the westside complained a taller skyline would ruin their views of the mountains...

My criticism sure did bring out the OKC's lovers --- don't you dare look cross-eyed at OKC and criticize it or else the feelings are hurt from the locals...
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #1391
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 22

I really didn't care, but wow you like to spout A LOT of biased bullcrap.

For the record, Tulsa's downtown isn't larger than OKC's. Taller, but definitely not larger; not as dense, as well-maintained, or as culturally vibrant either. Which is fact and not opinion. OKC has over 1 billion dollars in development occurring in our downtown currently, with over 3 billion spent in the past two decades, so just because we aren't getting towers doesn't mean that the Devon headquarters is the exception; or whatever it is that you meant ABQ boy. You can expect to see more highrises and development in OKC's NEAR future, sooner rather than a 100 years later. Our downtown, and metro in general, is enjoying a very robust economy.

Last edited by Classof2010; June 16th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Classof2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1392
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I like ABQ's skyline at night. It is colorful lol! Only four years ago ABQ got rid of their stupid height limits that they had for decades. Locals on the westside complained a taller skyline would ruin their views of the mountains...

My criticism sure did bring out the OKC's lovers --- don't you dare look cross-eyed at OKC and criticize it or else the feelings are hurt from the locals...
well, in all fairness - this is an OKC thread and YOU brought out the hate. What did you expect, OKC people (and people in general) wouldn't stand up for their city?

OKC has a nice skyline and its downtown skyline is heads and heels above ABQ's (I've been, not impressed). In fact, OKC's Northwest CBD is bigger and better than ABQ too. OKC's skyline may be older, but it is bigger, denser, and taller than ABQ (5 buildings taller, well 6 now and more to come).

Those are facts, no matter how you want to measure it. OKC is not dinky at all, its skylines can be seen for miles - pre Devon. ... Come out of the clouds, you're mixing ABQ with SF.

And if you consider how many structures OKC tore down in the 1970s-1980s, OKC HAD more infill and if much of it still existed today would be even more impressive, as another poster mentioned.

You're entitled to your opinion about Devon, but I bet you a million that if ABQ (or SF) was building this tower you would be all over it and think it was impressive - despite blowing out an even more dinky, disconnected/dispersed (as best I can describe ABQ) downtown. no offense.

I would argue you would be completely satisfied to have OKC's skyline in ABQ, given its geography and the height, dense cluster of towers of OKC's DT. ABQ would look like a big city, you know OKC already does and is. ...

Oh, you will probably be surprised if you really think Devon tower is the last major skyscraper to be built in downtown OKC. .... Apparently there's several more that are in the works or about to be announced shortly. Stay tuned, OKC isn't done yet.

As for Tulsa, OKC is more dense but Tulsa is taller in general. Im not sure their skyline is better actually - but Tulsa does have a more pleasant appeal to their downtown skyline due to their geography and the facades of many of their buildings; at least one of those points can't be helped in OKC's case. ....

Im honestly not sure why you pointed Tulsa out in the first place, its not as if OKC is competing with them in the first place.

Last edited by Hot Rod; June 16th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1393
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

It would have been one thing to criticize the skyline in general, but when you brought ABQ into the conversation you just stopped making sense. ABQ skyline is at best comparable to the northwest side of OKC, located miles away from downtown, which is dotted with office and residential towers 15-22 stories tall (in fact, this corridor alone has the same number of buildings over 15 stories as ABQ, and it doesn't even represent all of OKC's non-downtown 15+ buildings)

Besides all that... I think even though we are getting this great tower, OKC is past the idea of viewing the city as a tall skyline to look at... We are more interested in the success of local businesses in our urban neighborhoods at street level- even those neighborhoods that are more than a mile from the skyline. That being said... Devon Tower rules
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1394
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
San Francisco has anything but ***** envy. The Transbay terminal has broken ground (the west coast version of Grand Central). The argument here is what the towers that surround it are going to look like. One is 90 stories, the others 65+ (we shall see). Also, do you know how much San Fran spent on the Embarcadero? Much more than 140m.

It's not about OKC hate at all. I am glad your city is getting this tower. Congrats. My comment stems form the fact that even despite this nice building the downtown still looks pathetically small as portrayed in the picture. I think Tulsa has you guys beat.

Devon is a nice tower but IS NOT the best in North America lol! You seen what is going up in Calgary? In New York? What has broken ground in San Francisco? Even Los Angeles has some interesting towers that were just completed and a couple more in the works...
Yes, I noticed where your 1,000 ft. iconic Transbay highrise has just broken ground.

*chortles*

And I've got some news for you: Calgarians have conveyed envy regarding Devon and especially it's height.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1395
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
It would have been one thing to criticize the skyline in general, but when you brought ABQ into the conversation you just stopped making sense. ABQ skyline is at best comparable to the northwest side of OKC, located miles away from downtown, which is dotted with office and residential towers 15-22 stories tall (in fact, this corridor alone has the same number of buildings over 15 stories as ABQ, and it doesn't even represent all of OKC's non-downtown 15+ buildings)

Besides all that... I think even though we are getting this great tower, OKC is past the idea of viewing the city as a tall skyline to look at... We are more interested in the success of local businesses in our urban neighborhoods at street level- even those neighborhoods that are more than a mile from the skyline. That being said... Devon Tower rules
I was about to bring that up as well! The NW Expressway skyline and downtown's skyline makes it pretty damn awesome in my opinion! I have a friend that lives in downtown OKC and his place faces west by northwest and it's awesome to look out the window from the downtown skyline to see ANOTHER skyline out in the distance.

I'm not sure if there are any pictures that capture both skylines.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1396
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Devon number two on my list of skyscrapers going up in NA. Not including supertalls.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1397
CVG

Likes (Received): 6

For its size OKC has a very meh skyline with a really nice building going up. Albuquerque was obviously a poor example to compare it too with the argument, but there are definitely much better skylines out there with much shorter buildings as their tallest. Most areal shots I have seen of OKC are particularly unflattering and make the core and surrounding area look very drab and uninteresting.
CVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1398
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Enough of this nonsense.

UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #1399
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG View Post
For its size OKC has a very meh skyline with a really nice building going up. Albuquerque was obviously a poor example to compare it too with the argument, but there are definitely much better skylines out there with much shorter buildings as their tallest. Most areal shots I have seen of OKC are particularly unflattering and make the core and surrounding area look very drab and uninteresting.
Yeah due to urban renewal's superblocks and destruction of all our midrises around the core, the aerial views aren't great. And you're right that the surrounding area to the south and west are pretty drab and boring- mostly vacant and empty lots that are now considered a wild frontier for developers and real estate investors.

We have to keep our peer cities in perspective, always a challenge for OKC... Literally a few years ago everyone was comparing us to cities that were on the too small side (Little Rock, Wichita, Des Moines, Tulsa). Now, due to NBA, Devon Tower, and newly high profile status, people are trying to compare us to other cities with NBA teams and 800-footers. In reality, I think the look of the skyline compares pretty favorably with true peers like Raleigh, Richmond, Salt Lake City, Louisville, etc. Maybe if our biggest towers were a little more spread out, instead of packed into the middlemost 5 or 6 blocks, it would look more expansive and the buildings wouldn't cover each other up so much.

shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1400
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Of course OKC has a better skyline than Albuquerque. That being said, my earlier post on this page (last page) was all but ignored, probably because it's true
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city