daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1401
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Albuquerque? I see what your original point is, but clearly you have no real idea what you're talking about... Being from Boston though, I understand that it's like... OKC with an 850 footer? Boston has 16 500'+ buildings, but only tops out at 790 (to the roof, no spires!). OKC had 1 building exactly 500', and now is passing it. Before Devon, OKC came in like a step behind Hartford, which I couldn't imagine getting a building that tall... it really is a tiny skyline for such a tall tower

So basically you guys are ridiculously lucky, and yes your skyline IS dinky, but maybe this will be the start of something, like Charlotte 20 years ago! Good luck...
Quote:
Of course OKC has a better skyline than Albuquerque. That being said, my earlier post on this page (last page) was all but ignored, probably because it's true
No one here was bragging, or at least shouldn't (unless it's Albuquerque). Not every city in this country can have "16 500'+ buildings". I can and will be proud of the progress. It doesn't happen overnight. It's here now, and I hope it continues.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1402
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
I was being sarcastic. I like ABQ's skyline at night. It is colorful lol! Only four years ago ABQ got rid of their stupid height limits that they had for decades. Locals on the westside complained a taller skyline would ruin their views of the mountains...
For the record, thanks to our pandering mayors, neighborhood associations determine height limits in ABQ. And to them, anything over 4 stories is a threatening supertall. Otherwise, pointless and unwanted discussion. Thanks.

I'll dig around for a shot with both OKC skylines, hopefully one with Devon in it... But youse guys in OKC can do far better than me in this regard!
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1403
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Devon at 47 floors, taken yesterday

image hosted on flickr

Devon at 47 floors by Paul L McCord Jr, on Flickr
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1404
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

I'll dig around for a shot with both OKC skylines, hopefully one with Devon in it... But youse guys in OKC can do far better than me in this regard!
Here's one, kind of... Northwest Expressway skyline far back on the horizon.

image hosted on flickr

And here's one with the lake and the NW skyline in the foreground- You can actually make out the top of Chase Tower in this, too.

And here's one from quite a while ago showing the impact Devon Tower will make on the view from that area eventually.

shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #1405
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

There it is! Just wait until Devon is complete, there could be some amazing long distance shots!
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1406
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

I think for the Nations 31st most populated city and 44th most populated metro that OKC's skyline is quite good for it's size!I dont know what that poster above was expecting?????
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1407
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

All I was trying to say with my post is that you guys kind of "skipped your turn" so to speak, and you are lucky to be getting such a huge building in such a small city. It's annoying when I hear people say stuff like "it's about time". My list was just to show that there are cities with skylines literally 5-50x bigger that don't have towers this tall. Devon looks great, but I am one of those that subscribe to the notion that a building should still "fit" into a city somehow. I think OKC's skyline as a whole would have looked better with say, 2 towers between 550'-700'. Since that didn't happen, I still think that until you build something(s) between Chase and Devon (height-wise), OKC's skyline is just going to end up looking like one giant tower in the middle of nowhere...

PS the ratio here from old tallest to new tallest is 1 : 1.7. For Boston it would be the equivalent of us throwing up a spire-less Freedom Tower... I love cities and am obsessed with skylines (have been for years), but can't think of a single other city in my lifetime with such a drastic change. (maybe some Chinese cities, but they are building like gangbusters, not just 1) I'm not trying to offend OKC, I'm just saying that this is rather unheard of, and that's why there are so many negative comments on this thread. Tower itself looks good...
DZH22 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1408
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Have you seen Taipei 101. Talking about a building sticking out. This stands out but you never know what the skyline going to look like ten years from now.
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1409
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
All I was trying to say with my post is that you guys kind of "skipped your turn" so to speak, and you are lucky to be getting such a huge building in such a small city. It's annoying when I hear people say stuff like "it's about time". My list was just to show that there are cities with skylines literally 5-50x bigger that don't have towers this tall. Devon looks great, but I am one of those that subscribe to the notion that a building should still "fit" into a city somehow. I think OKC's skyline as a whole would have looked better with say, 2 towers between 550'-700'. Since that didn't happen, I still think that until you build something(s) between Chase and Devon (height-wise), OKC's skyline is just going to end up looking like one giant tower in the middle of nowhere...

PS the ratio here from old tallest to new tallest is 1 : 1.7. For Boston it would be the equivalent of us throwing up a spire-less Freedom Tower... I love cities and am obsessed with skylines (have been for years), but can't think of a single other city in my lifetime with such a drastic change. (maybe some Chinese cities, but they are building like gangbusters, not just 1) I'm not trying to offend OKC, I'm just saying that this is rather unheard of, and that's why there are so many negative comments on this thread. Tower itself looks good...
My entire family is from Boston and I lived there when I was younger,so I agree with most of your posts' but in a previous post you said OKC was "Lucky" Well that may be true but your comments seem like Jealousy to me!
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1410
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
My list was just to show that there are cities with skylines literally 5-50x bigger that don't have towers this tall.
Well, luckily for us, city population doesn't have anything to do with tallest building height, and we happen to have an enormous corporation that is growing fast and has more money than they know what to do with which wanted to build an awesome huge tower. It's not like someone is building this ridiculously tall building for the hell of it- they need the space.

Economic demand drives buildings, and right now that demand is extremely high in OKC, as evidenced by Devon's tower and the fact that the space they will vacate next year is already filling with companies moving to OKC to fill in the gaps. With the amount of progress occurring and in the pipeline, I strongly doubt that Devon will be the only tower built in OKC this decade. At least two other major OKC companies (national assurance company and fast-growing regional bank) are rumored to be interested in moving downtown which would be more than 2,000 employees. Continental Resources is a medium-sized public energy company that is moving to OKC next year which plans to add 1,000 employees in three years after moving. At least one two-year-old tech startup is also now getting into the hundreds of employees. All that potential office construction (or renovations of older buildings) and yet an office tower isn't even the most likely- We're almost certain to get a highrise hotel with our $250m convention center and the residential demand for downtown is much higher than office.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1411
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
By Paul L McCord Jr, April 2nd. Up to the 38th floor.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Look's DAMN good for a city with only 1.3 million metro IMO!Throw in a new convention hotel highrise and another skyscraper in the future either residential or corporate and this Forbes top5 fastest growing city http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/th...in-the-us.html will look damn good!I know the subject at hand is about OKC's skyline but there is way more going on in OKC other than it's skyline,Like Billions of investment in to the core of the city,with projects like MAPS,C2S,Boathouse row,Thousands of dt residential units,Project 180,I-40 relocation etc.....!This city is on a roll and if you think that OKC's skyline will stay stagnant with all this growth well then your just being a hater!
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1412
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
My entire family is from Boston and I lived there when I was younger,so I agree with most of your posts' but in a previous post you said OKC was "Lucky" Well that may be true but your comments seem like Jealousy to me!
There is a 'hint' of jealousy but mostly it just looks out of place to me. Taipei 101 is a good example! That city still looks like a 1 building show... However, OF COURSE they are lucky! Many cities have proposals like this through the years that just won't get done for whatever reason. Especially seeing as we just had/are having a recession, you are lucky your guy had deep pockets. Many projects have been shelved indefinitely. You are indeed lucky to see this being built, especially in such a small(ish?) city. I look around Boston and wonder why the f&%# nothing significant can be built anymore (been 20+ years, and our 4 tallest have been the same since the 70's! all over 600', but the same). So yes, there is going to be some jealousy from many people from bigger cities who aren't seeing anything on par with this development, but that being said... you must be familiar with the Hartford skyline correct? (dmoor) That city's skyline is probably just above OKC (pre Devon), but nobody from the Northeast would ever call it a big city, and if a Devon-sized project got built there it would be just as shocking (80's bust notwithstanding, where they actually planned multiple towers around that size). You even made the point that OKC is the 31st most populated city and 44th most populated metro in the US... and yet such a small city has the tallest skyscraper under construction in the country outside NYC. So yeah, anytime anybody (not just me!) says "wtf?" it's basically for all of the above posted reasons. I promise to quiet down for good as soon as you have a 3rd building surpass 500'... to the roof

Again though, no hate for this tower, and if you guys can pull off a Charlotte-like transformation, all the power to you. In the meantime, forgive the rest of us for at least being skeptical...
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1413
DZH22

Yes dmoor, that last shot absolutely looks good... until you pan the camera to the left or right and realize that's pretty much it...
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1414
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Yes dmoor, that last shot absolutely looks good... until you pan the camera to the left or right and realize that's pretty much it...
For now!
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1415
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
There is a 'hint' of jealousy but mostly it just looks out of place to me. Taipei 101 is a good example! That city still looks like a 1 building show... However, OF COURSE they are lucky! Many cities have proposals like this through the years that just won't get done for whatever reason. Especially seeing as we just had/are having a recession, you are lucky your guy had deep pockets. Many projects have been shelved indefinitely. You are indeed lucky to see this being built, especially in such a small(ish?) city. I look around Boston and wonder why the f&%# nothing significant can be built anymore (been 20+ years, and our 4 tallest have been the same since the 70's! all over 600', but the same). So yes, there is going to be some jealousy from many people from bigger cities who aren't seeing anything on par with this development, but that being said... you must be familiar with the Hartford skyline correct? (dmoor) That city's skyline is probably just above OKC (pre Devon), but nobody from the Northeast would ever call it a big city, and if a Devon-sized project got built there it would be just as shocking (80's bust notwithstanding, where they actually planned multiple towers around that size). You even made the point that OKC is the 31st most populated city and 44th most populated metro in the US... and yet such a small city has the tallest skyscraper under construction in the country outside NYC. So yeah, anytime anybody (not just me!) says "wtf?" it's basically for all of the above posted reasons. I promise to quiet down for good as soon as you have a 3rd building surpass 500'... to the roof

Again though, no hate for this tower, and if you guys can pull off a Charlotte-like transformation, all the power to you. In the meantime, forgive the rest of us for at least being skeptical...
LOL,NO I would not put Hartford above OKC pre-Devon,Density wise,Yes but otherwise NO,OKC is taller and has better Art Deco buildings including The FNC tower!
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1416
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:

Glad OKC is on people's radar,Skepticism is welcomed and it's OK to be a little jealous of ol' "tiny"OKC!For you to be so into what this "tiny" city is doing shows you have some interest in OKC and 10-15 years ago people like you would'nt have looked twice!
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1417
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
LOL,NO I would not put Hartford above OKC pre-Devon,Density wise,Yes but otherwise NO,OKC is taller and has better Art Deco buildings including The FNC tower!
Hartford has 3 buildings over 500' (OKC had 1 AT 500'). It's both taller and denser.

I think Hartford also has it's share of beautiful old buildings that can stand up to anything from OKC...

Especially Traveler's Tower

(pics all taken by me last year)

Last edited by DZH22; June 17th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1418
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Sorry,Still not a better skyline than OKC!not even close imo,The two metro's are neck and neck in population but OKC is growing way more rapidly!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #1419
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Hartford has 9 buildings over 200 ft tall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Hartford and OKC has 17 over 250 ft and 21 over 200ft tall,overall OKC is a TALLER city and I think the skylines do not compare!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Oklahoma_City
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1420
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Since you're from Boston, I will now read all your posts with a Mayor Quimby voice.

So yeah...Boston. A much smaller city that's a little over a hundred years old like OKC gets a taller building, and suddenly there's a "hint of jealous" as if the history of such a iconic America city is now in jeopardy. I just laugh at anyone from the top tier of American cities (Boston, Houston, Dallas, L.A. NY, Atlanta etc.) who would have some issue. OKC has decades of growth that's been waiting to happen. I've followed the construction of this building since it was first announced, and I've never heard someone from a large metropolis suddenly get jealous of a city that they couldn't have cared less about 5-10 years ago. All I see is surprise, yes but congratulations on getting such an iconic and image-changing building.

Last edited by UnFrSaKn; June 17th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city