daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1421
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Hartford has 9 buildings over 200 ft tall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Hartford and OKC has 17 over 250 ft and 21 over 200ft tall,overall OKC is a TALLER city and I think the skylines do not compare!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Oklahoma_City
Hartford has 10 over 300'. 28 over 200'. What the heck are you talking about? http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=51140256

I promise you I am informed, and not just some blind hater throwing out accusations like "Albuquerque has a better skyline!" cause clearly it doesn't. I love studying the numbers... you could almost say I am consumed by it.

Speaking of mayors, Mayor Mumbles Menino (Boston) is probably the #1 reason why we haven't experienced the growth around here that a city boasting many of the nation's top schools and hospitals should be having! The guy has been in office for 20 years, it's pathetic... if not for those hospitals and universities then Boston would probably be known as "Detroit by the sea"!!!
DZH22 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1422
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

While Bostons skyline is great,it is better at street level!For a metro of 4.5 Million and a CSA around 5 million,I think Bostons skyline falls far short of it's population!You said earlier that OKC was a "tiny" city,well it's all relative to what your comparing it to!OKC is "tiny'campared to Boston,but Boston is "tiny"compared to NYC!OKC being the 31st largest city in The entire United States makes it a Large Major American city no matter what you think!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1423
DZH22

Quote:
While Bostons skyline is great,it is better at street level!For a metro of 4.5 Million and a CSA around 5 million,I think Bostons skyline falls far short of it's population!You said earlier that OKC was a "tiny" city,well it's all relative to what your comparing it to!OKC is "tiny'campared to Boston,but Boston is "tiny"compared to NYC!OKC being the 31st largest city in The entire United States makes it a Large Major American city no matter what you think!
I think there are only about 15 cities at best in the US that could be considered "large" cities. Oklahoma city covers 662 square miles!!!!! This is more than Houston, Atlanta, or even NYC! For reference, Boston is 48 square miles (and slightly more populated even then). Just because you incorporate half the state into 1 city, doesn't make it a big city!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1424
UnFrSaKn

Likes (Received): 2

What you're saying is Boston deserves a Devon Tower because....it's Boston. OKC should have to wait 20 years or something.
UnFrSaKn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1425
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I think there are only about 15 cities at best in the US that could be considered "large" cities. Oklahoma city covers 662 square miles!!!!! This is more than Houston, Atlanta, or even NYC! For reference, Boston is 48 square miles (and slightly more populated even then). Just because you incorporate half the state into 1 city, doesn't make it a big city!
Half the state?OKC is 35,000 sq miles big?lWhile OKC land area is over 600+ square miles only about a 1/3rd are urbanized while another 1/3rd is developed and the last 1/3rd is all un-developed open land!Do you really think that OKC has 600k people spread out over 600+ sqaure miles?So you think in OKC there is One house every half mile for an entire 600 sqaure miles!Very misleading info about OKC's land size to it's pop density!NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW,OKC IS A MAJOR U.S. CITY!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #1426
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Well we went a long time with out any OKC bashing and it looks like our wait is over!Here come the TROLLS!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1427
UnFrSaKn

DZH22, if I was from Boston I would be proud of the city and be thankful I could call it my own. It has history that even L.A., Seattle, or Houston don't have. It's as iconic an American city as it gets. Who cares about something as fickle as building height. OKC will never be a Boston and shouldn't. Boston and OKC are apples and oranges. Being from OKC and living here my whole life I have every right to be proud of Devon Tower and many other things that are a very long time coming. Especially in my lifetime.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1428
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
What you're saying is Boston deserves a Devon Tower because....it's Boston. OKC should have to wait 20 years or something.
No, at the end of the day I'm saying....
-Oklahoma City is lucky to be getting such a large (beautiful) tower in such a small city
-Anybody who is saying "about time" can look to my large list of cities that have much more developed skylines, and no tower this tall
-The rest of OKC's skyline has some work to do, because a topped-out Devon is going to dominate it as much as any 1 tower ever has in the US (and most of the world, except clearly Taipei)

You need some "bridge" towers between Chase and Devon to really make things work... I also said good luck that maybe OKC can become the next Charlotte-type city to really explode.

Also, frankly, you guys are lucky to be on the map at all. That stolen NBA team is really sparking a turnaround apparently. (obviously I know it wasn't any of your faults, and maybe the city deserved a team, but it was still stolen) Sometimes you just gotta get lucky though. I hope your city makes the most of it and grows... but until that happens, I still think it's going to look ridiculous with such a major gap between Devon and the rest of your towers!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1429
DZH22

Quote:
DZH22, if I was from Boston I would be proud of the city and be thankful I could call it my own. It has history that even L.A., Seattle, or Houston don't have. It's as iconic an American city as it gets. Who cares about something as fickle as building height. OKC will never be a Boston and shouldn't. Boston and OKC are apples and oranges. Being from OKC and living here my whole life I have every right to be proud of Devon Tower and many other things that are a very long time coming. Especially in my lifetime.
You should be proud of Devon, it's a great tower. I was too young to remember BOA in Charlotte being built, but that's the only comparison I can think of domestically in the last 20 years. Even then it was a little less extreme, as it is a 1:1.7 ratio (height increase for tallest) for you and was a 1:1.48 ratio for them. You guys really caught lightning in a bottle with this Devon thing. Why so much demand for the 44th largest metro that doesn't apply to the 43 in front of it? You all seem so sure of complementary towers on the horizon. Has anything concrete been proposed?
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1430
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Stolen NBA team?Wasnt it BOUGHT outright?I didnt know they started putting 850'ft skyscrapers and NBA teams in "tiny" smal towns?LMFAO!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1431
UnFrSaKn

In other words, OKC "stole" an NBA team, and that has something to do with a skyscraper being built that "looks ridiculous". For someone interested in "the numbers", you need to read more than a wikipedia page on Oklahoma City before saying things like that. Since we were not on your map before, you seem to know a lot about the city.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1432
DZH22

Quote:
In other words, OKC "stole" an NBA team, and that has something to do with a skyscraper being built that "looks ridiculous". For someone interested in "the numbers", you need to read more than a wikipedia page on Oklahoma City before saying things like that. Since we were not on your map before, you seem to know a lot about the city.
It was stolen in that the city wanted to keep the team, and the new owner promised to make a concerted effort to keep it there, when all evidence points that he planned the move the whole time...

I know about most cities, it's just my thing.

If we are talking about the before, then I remember looking up OKC, being disappointed, and moving on. Now if only Tulsa and OKC could combine their skylines, then we'd be talking!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1433
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

From dzh22:"Why so much demand for the 44th largest metro that doesn't apply to the 43 in front of it?" You should be asking why so much demand for the 44th largest market that MANY above it would only dream of!Answer:OKC is Growing Rapidly and I see an Austin or Charlotte type of Boom on the horizon!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1434
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
It was stolen in that the city wanted to keep the team, and the new owner promised to make a concerted effort to keep it there, when all evidence points that he planned the move the whole time...

I know about most cities, it's just my thing.
"Stolen" implies That The OKC group didnt PAY for the team!So you know about most cities but know nothing about buisiness?
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1435
DZH22

Quote:
"Stolen" implies That The OKC group didnt PAY for the team!So you know about most cities but know nothing about buisiness?
It was stolen from the fans. I'm not the first person to say this regarding that team either... not like I made the term up. The new owner said he would try to keep it in seattle, which was proven to be as big a lie as they come. He wasn't trying at all. Also, as a Celtics fan, I am bitter that we got duped into giving you guys Perk. But the point of that comment was that now that you are a "major" enough city for an NBA team, it may have helped attract some attention and spark development.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1436
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
It was stolen from the fans. I'm not the first person to say this regarding that team either... not like I made the term up. Also, as a Celtics fan, I am bitter that we got duped into giving you guys Perk.
LOL,well the fans should be mad at one Howard Schultz not OKC,and I am a diehard Boston sports fan(Title Town baby!!) and even I was mad about the trade,it threw off The Celtics Chemistry!Jeff Green will be an All-Star one day so it's not all bad!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1437
DZH22

Quote:
LOL,well the fans should be mad at one Howard Schultz not OKC,and I am a diehard Boston sports fan(Title Town baby!!) and even I was mad about the trade,it threw off The Celtics Chemistry!Jeff Green will be an All-Star one day so it's not all bad!
I don't know man, Jeff Green looks like one of those talented guys that may or may not put it together... he made me cringe though. Krystic ended the season on the bench, and now signed with a Russian team. I think getting rid of Semi Erden (and some other dudes, Harangody etc) was a big mistake, compounded by the Perk trade. It's like Ainge is trying to get run out of town!

Anyways, there is really nothing more to say right now... I will be back for my final critique when this is finishing up, and hopefully by then there will be a new tall proposal for your city to look forward to!
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #1438
UnFrSaKn

Quote:
Anyways, there is really nothing more to say right now... I will be back for my final critique when this is finishing up, and hopefully by then there will be a new tall proposal for your city to look forward to!
I'd say pretty much everyone in the city would look forward to that. Things take time. In this case, things jumped far ahead first then will gradually fill in the construction gap.
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #1439
okcpulse

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Clay Bennett had a two-prong plan.

A) If Seattle provides funding for a new arena keep the team in Seattle. Sell the franchise back to a local owner, and use the money made back + profit to push for an expansion franchise.

B) If Seattle doesn't come up with funding, go with original intentions and relocate the team to OKC and recreate it as an expansion franchise. Either way, the plan all along was an expansion franchise.

I agree, he did plan the move the entire time. However, he did make a concerted effort, met with Seattle officials, looked at sites, and waited for Seattle to come up with funding. It didn't happen.

What if Seattle DID fund a new arena? No one considers this. No one questions why Howard Schultz sold the team. But it didn't happen. End of story. This is old news, it is getting ridiculous.

Okay, now onto Oklahoma City being 621 square miles. Only 270 contiguous square miles have been developed and sprawl is being to slow with infill development increasing. Another 14 square miles is under water. You need to consider that prior to 1956, Oklahoma City was only 85 square miles with over 250,000 people inside the city limits.

Yes, the rest of the skyline is small and does not have much height. So what are your feelings about Phoenix? A much larger market with a very unimpressive skyline.

Last edited by okcpulse; June 18th, 2011 at 02:39 AM.
okcpulse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #1440
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

This is like the big kids discovering that the little kid named Herbert has the biggest dick in gym class.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oklahoma city