daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1441
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Yes, the rest of the skyline is small and does not have much height. So what are your feelings about Phoenix? A much larger market with a very unimpressive skyline.
Phoenix has one of the worst US skylines for a major city. I think it's terrible, and if I said it was "moderately" bigger than OKC than I was mistaken. If Devon topped at 650' I would say OKC had a much better skyline than Phoenix already. Speaking of which, a 650' to complement Devon would look really good.
DZH22 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #1442
okcpulse

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Phoenix has one of the worst US skylines for a major city. I think it's terrible, and if I said it was "moderately" bigger than OKC than I was mistaken. If Devon topped at 650' I would say OKC had a much better skyline than Phoenix already. Speaking of which, a 650' to complement Devon would look really good.
I agree. In fact, a worker on Devon's site (and this is rumored) has said that another highrise will be announced for downtown OKC next year. If this is true, I don't believe it would be office even though an oil company is relocating to OKC to fill Devon's old space once employees move to the new tower.

Might be highrise residential. Either way, it would be sweet if it was a '650 footer.
okcpulse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #1443
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Where do people think Devon should build their new Headquarters in Houston. It's not like they're building this building for the hell of it, they need the space.

Last edited by kingsc; June 19th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1444
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Yes dmoor, that last shot absolutely looks good... until you pan the camera to the left or right and realize that's pretty much it...
DZH, you may not realize it, but if you pan left in that picture, you will find a few more highrises, not many - but a few more.

I honestly think OKC's skyline looks fine for a 1.3M metro and I don't think Devon sticks out in that picture. Granted, it was less than 2/3 finished then but still OKC's skyline doesn't look bad at all and is quite dense and has a nice tall cluster.

It is a tier II city, and really just became tier II in the last 10 years. People need to keep that in prospective a little bit, I think people often have very high expectations when they see OKC (thinking they should see something like Dallas or even Chicago) yet OKC is more in line with the Indy, Nashville, and Louisville crowd.

If you ask me, no offense - but if you want to pick on cities, I think Memphis has a puny skyline for its size - also a 1.3M metro. Particularly it being an eastern older city (compared) and at least was somewhat important/historical.

OKC doesn't have history and OKC made a huge mistake of tearing down most of the history that it had. So it only has the 1970-1980's and the future ahead of it - and it does look bright thanks to the people there who believe in their city!
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #1445
okcpulse

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Where do people think Devon should build, their new Headquarters in Houston. It's not like they're building this building for the hell of it, they need the space.
Their headquarters is not in Houston. It is in Oklahoma City. Is there some confusion?
okcpulse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1446
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

pulse, I think King was defending okc/Devon - it just didn't come out as he intended.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1447
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By Pete Brzycki,

June 16th.

By menos,
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1448
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
All I was trying to say with my post is that you guys kind of "skipped your turn" so to speak, and you are lucky to be getting such a huge building in such a small city. It's annoying when I hear people say stuff like "it's about time". My list was just to show that there are cities with skylines literally 5-50x bigger that don't have towers this tall. Devon looks great, but I am one of those that subscribe to the notion that a building should still "fit" into a city somehow. I think OKC's skyline as a whole would have looked better with say, 2 towers between 550'-700'. Since that didn't happen, I still think that until you build something(s) between Chase and Devon (height-wise), OKC's skyline is just going to end up looking like one giant tower in the middle of nowhere...

PS the ratio here from old tallest to new tallest is 1 : 1.7. For Boston it would be the equivalent of us throwing up a spire-less Freedom Tower... I love cities and am obsessed with skylines (have been for years), but can't think of a single other city in my lifetime with such a drastic change. (maybe some Chinese cities, but they are building like gangbusters, not just 1) I'm not trying to offend OKC, I'm just saying that this is rather unheard of, and that's why there are so many negative comments on this thread. Tower itself looks good...
Ok, I have to comment.

This whole thing with people from bigger cities saying that OKC basically doesn't deserve this tower are completely foolish.
You are by far not the first person who has thought OKC shouldn't be getting an 850 foot tower.

Get over it, simple. It's being built, nothing you can do about it.
However, I understand your points and agree on a couple . But you're beating a dead horse at this point.

My goodness, between jealous people and the rabid OKcers, I don't know what to do!

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1449
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
pulse, I think King was defending okc/Devon - it just didn't come out as he intended.
I was sleepy as hell. I went to sleep, instead of proof reading what I wrote.

And I know where the headquarters is.
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1450
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

well, I for one can not wait until they officially turn on the LED's
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #1451
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
well, I for one can not wait until they officially turn on the LED's
Before, I thought that it would just be the notched corners with LED capability.. I have been hearing that we will be surprised by the extent of the LED feature.

Cool update from MadMonk @ OKCtalk- Major milestone is reached- notice the \ / shaped columns going in as they prepare to start the crown! Very exciting!

Last edited by shane453; June 20th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1452
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Awesome!!! Great process!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #1453
3tmk
Rusty Robot

It's a great looking tower, but that crown makes it amazing.

Will be interesting to see how they deal with its topping out
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:15 AM   #1454
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Why do they have the tower cranes running up the whole height of the building instead of just reserving a space on top of the structure and just jumping the cranes from there?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:10 AM   #1455
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Oooo geez,more rumors that the tower will be 52 stories and 890'ft tall!I doubt it cuz the crown structure has allready started!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1456
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
Why do they have the tower cranes running up the whole height of the building instead of just reserving a space on top of the structure and just jumping the cranes from there?
WHO really cares, so long as this iconic structure's built safely and correctly?
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:10 AM   #1457
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
It could be an issue of cost and the method of construction?
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1458
ABQ_X-PAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
It's a great looking tower, but that crown makes it amazing.

Will be interesting to see how they deal with its topping out
So they are topped out now? A far as functional floors?
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1459
ABQ_X-PAT

Whats the difference in height between Devon and the green neon tower in downtown Dallas? I don't remember the name of it. Isn't Devon supposed to be taller?
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:26 AM   #1460
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
Whats the difference in height between Devon and the green neon tower in downtown Dallas? I don't remember the name of it. Isn't Devon supposed to be taller?
The BoA tower is 921 ft. tall.

Tags
oklahoma city